Menu

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

Hi, I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but we decided to stick with AHG after all.  I was wondering if we should try to do BSA as well, and I found a nearby troop, and the leader finally contacted me & said she would be in touch after June camping.  But I haven't heard back since then.  I haven't even discussed BSA with my girls.  My eldest is kind of anti-everything these days, so I would rather focus my "oh yes you wills" on existing commitments.  I guess we could still join BSA later if Mary Contrary gets a better attitude.

We did some work over the summer for various AHG badges - some individually and some as a unit / troop.  I am still hopeful that my eldest can get the level award this year.  She has to complete 5 more badges, which are in various stages of completion already.  (Zoology, Outdoor Skills, Emergency Preparedness, Family Helper, and Creative Writing.)  I think we're set with service hours and special events.  We have some ideas for the mentoring and the service project, but need to do a lot more on those.  The Tenderhearts are doing the Physical Fitness badge, and my eldest would be good for leading a couple of those badge requirements.

One of the other girls in the troop had an idea to have a Spa Day for the younger girls, as part of the Best Me I can Be badge.  Then we thought that would be a good time for my eldest to do the physical fitness mentoring.  Then my youngest thought it would be fun, as part of the music appreciation badge, to include different types of music for the relaxing part (spa day) and the active part (fitness).  We are checking with the troop leader to see if we can have the Mother Daughter Night to do this, or if we will need to plan something on an otherwise non-scout night.  (Maybe I should look at the Best Me I can Be badge and see if it makes sense to just do that whole badge ....)

The girls led a flag retirement ceremony a few weeks ago, which felt like an accomplishment.

We did a lot of stuff for the camping badge over the summer.  With and without the scouts, my girls camped out 6 nights, and finished a bunch of requirements.  My youngest got the canoeing badge.  (The eldest had to miss that for a volleyball tournament.)  Youngest is also working on her Horsemanship badge.

We still have a lot to finish for the God and Church pin.  We did make some progress over the summer though.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 4
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HE PASSED!!!!!!!!  My oldest passed his Eagle BofR tonight!     I have an EAGLE SCOUT!

I've been following this thread for a long time but haven't posted until now.   I wanted to brag a little that my son just became an Eagle Scout! Given his learning challenges and long history of me

Middle son passed his Eagle Board of Review tonight!!!!!!!!!   I now have TWO Eagle Scouts!

Posted Images

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

@JennyD

Is your middle ds still doing scouts? 

You're sweet to ask!  Yes, he is.  It's a great troop and the scoutmaster is amazing.  DS does not want me to be involved even one little bit so I am not 100% sure of what exactly he has been doing, but apparently he is making progress and he is definitely enjoying it a lot.  He's done some day hikes and next month will go on one of the camping trips.  

That's interesting that you mention physical fitness requirements.  DS just got home an hour ago and said that tonight they did pushups, situps, and a half-mile run.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 2

My AHG Patriot is working on Our Flag and has only one camping night left to finish the camping badge. Woohoo! Our whole troop is doing Young Meteorologist this year, but I think the PiPas have been too busy with camping and flag things to start it. Dd ran a Joining Badge 101 event (like Bobcat Day for CS), last weekend as a multi-troop activity, so that requirement for her next level award is done! She will have plenty of service hours for AHG, but probably only enough for the silver Presidential this year, since she dropped a major volunteering gig to make more time for  academics and down time. She has two stars, 40 hours, so far as a Patriot. Over Christmas, we will get her the longer sash and redo it so that she can fit all her badges on better. It wouldn't have worked until this year because she wasn't tall enough last year for it to look right. 

Troop campout in ten days, but I will scrap it if the heat and drought don't break. Averaging high 90's with heat index over 100 here right now. Plus fire ban means no campfires (not that anyone wants a fire in the heat). Ugh!

• Like 3

This has been a weird Summer for us. Good, bad, and otherwise.

Good:

DS13 earned Weather, Woodcarving, and Emergency Prep merit badges at camp and his Star rank. Even better, unlike the previous 2 years, I didn't have any tedious conversations about discipline issues with the Scoutmaster at either parents' weekend or the end of camp. DS13  was just elected a patrol leader.

DS11 was at his first summer camp. He earned the First Aid merit badge and Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks at camp. So he earned First Class in six months vs 2 1/2 yrs for DS13. I had expected Second  Class. He'd done the fitness stuff and had enough activities but this was a surprise. Apparently my skepticism was apparent because I had 2 Scoutmasters from other troops and one previous SM from our troop, who had been on his Boards of Review tell me what a great job he'd done. So First Class at then age 10 (Both boys crossed over at 10 1/2 with Arrow of Light).

Our troop runs its own Summer Camp with another troop and has had female Venture Crews for at least the last 5-10years. This year the Venture Crew alumni were all adult staff and we had a linked Scouts BSA girl troop.. Female Venture Crews had always been good, but I was surprised how much better having a patrol of more age diverse girls was.

Bad:

Every year at camp we run a 3 day out of camp trip the first week. This year it was a backpacking trip. The "plan" was to do patrol based trips on the Superior Hiking Trail. Planning was light and during camp they figured out that wasn't realistic for some of the younger Scouts. The Scouts ended up voting to split into non-patrol age based groups and have a backpacking group and a hiking group. Both my kids were in the younger group. DS13 was mildly disappointed. DS11 was pissed. I don't think the Scouter's realized how bad this was til after the trip. It will be fine. The older kids had a great time. There are plans for a Spring backpacking trip for all Scouts. But, this was entirely predictable and a downside of a very Scout led troop.  

Otherwise:

Our Scoutmaster is retiring at the end of camp Summer 2020. Succession planning isn't what anyone wants. DW and I are in the half dozen folks who could step into those responsibilities. Over the Summer, we've decide to leave Minneapolis for DW to take a better job in Seattle.. The two major pieces of unfinished business here are Scouts and DW's vice-presidency of our multistate trail running group .

Our current troop will be fine. We have good finances, active scouts, and an active  alumni group. The next 24+ months will be bumpy but  it will work out. I'm not sure who will be Scoutmaster vs Assistant, grudgingly or otherwise, but it will work out

Talking about the Summer Camp issue, I told out current SM... "Look DS-then-12. has at that point done a 3 day river canoe trip, a 4 day Boundary Waters trip, a 100 mile bike trip, and 60 nights of camping(50 in tents)". That is pretty impressive... as a Scout led troop the things that annoy me and the things I like are very linked.

Going forward, finding troops in Seattle is slightly complicated. We are looking for very liberal troops who also have a very aggressive outdoors program. Many troops look shockingly expensive from a midwestern perspective. DS13 will be fine... If we can't find a good troop we'll slot him into Sea Scouts or Venturing. DS11 is more complicated... we need an active troop who lets younger kids do HA stuff. I can't see him tolerating a highly structured council camp after our free form summer camp... likewise this high adventure as a reward for older Scouts seems unlikely to fly. We'll see... He wants to come back to MN for Summer Camp and we have a couple alumni Scouts from WY who do that every year... So we'll see...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Ds has enjoyed his first two camping trips with the troop. Next month is a mbu to get First Aid and a trip to Mammoth Cave. He has just the fitness requirement and the BOR left to earn his TF rank. 

My AHG troop had a lovely campout a couple of weeks ago. Relaxed pace, a little hiking, a little outdoor skills practice, lots of hang out time. A little rain one night, but not a big storm. We overbought on food and I learned a lot about running the kitchen and about what directions the girls need in doing the food. Dd is coasting a bit in AHG right now, just doing whatever badgework happens unit time, but nothing outside of that. She is working hard just to keep up with school work and I don't think she really has time to work on badges right now. She may do Teen Pact this winter, which will fulfill a bunch of Citizenship and Government requirements. 

• Like 1

Hi, our PiPa unit has figured out some of the requirements for the older Pioneers to get the level award.  We are planning to run the mother-daughter event in November.  One of the girls suggested doing a spa day, which I felt was a great idea.  We are also going to fit in some financial management stuff for the younger girls.  Both 2nd year pioneers will work on this.  We will tack on a service event - OCC packing party - led by my daughter.  This should cover at least 2 if not 3 of the level award requirements.  The other girl wants to do a different service activity, so I hope it is on a day we can attend and support her in that.

We haven't made much recent progress on badge work, and we need to step up.  My kids have Thursday and Friday off school, so hopefully Thursday will go for preparing for the event (AHG meeting is Thursday night) and Friday for badge work.

• Like 3

We had two GREAT BoRs last night: on T'foot and one Star. It's so cool to watch the Star Scout step up in his role as SPL. And the T'foot is the kid I didn't think would make it through camp, but he did, and thrived. 

Meeting with an Eagle candidate today, to review his project book before his presentation. I'm sure he's going to have revisions. 

• Like 2

My middle turned in his paperwork for his Eagle and is just waiting to hear back on setting up his Board of Review.  He is pretty excited and relieved that he is almost done.  He isn't sure what he wants to do after he earns Eagle.  Right now he is SPL, but he would like to hand that off.  He has been in some sort of leadership for years and I think he really wants a break.

My youngest made First Class over the summer and is determined to Eagle at a younger age than his brother.  He is hoping to finish by next Christmas, but that would be pretty tight timing.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 11:19 AM, Loowit said:

My middle turned in his paperwork for his Eagle and is just waiting to hear back on setting up his Board of Review.  He is pretty excited and relieved that he is almost done.  He isn't sure what he wants to do after he earns Eagle.  Right now he is SPL, but he would like to hand that off.  He has been in some sort of leadership for years and I think he really wants a break.

Palms!

• Like 1

I'm trying to put together a trip down valley on Wednesday--a really good presenter is giving a talk at the Ute Museum, partly on the Ft. Uncompahgre in the next town down. It's supposed to be our OA meeting, but we really don't have much to do, and we could hold a short meeting beforehand. I hope the roads are clear. Dh can't go as he has to leave for the hospital the next morning at 0600. 

• Like 1

DS is off to attend an all day welding merit badge class. It's not close, so he was up and out the door early for the drive. He's been interested in trying welding for awhile and is hoping he'll actually get a lot of hands on. He's been working on his very large and very complicated Eagle project for over two years, but is finally getting close to completion of the actual construction part, so he's hoping paperwork and Board of Review can be done in the next few months. He has two requirements left on the last Eagle required merit badge and if he finishes one other partial merit badge, he'll have enough for four palms! I'm trying to keep him going because all his friends aged out of the troop, we have trouble getting adult participation that would allow more high adventure activities, and he's lost interest in doing much with the troop. DH is the Scoutmaster, so ds usually gets dragged along anyway although he's starting to fight that too. Fortunately, he found a Sea Scout Ship and that has reignited his interest in Scouts.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Palms!

Strangely, he doesn't really want palms.  It seems like he is trying to avoid them for some reason.  It is odd because when he was a Webelos he worked hard to get all 20 of the activity badges.  He sets goals for himself and works hard to achieve them, but I can never tell what it is that will be something he cares about.  I think he may be done with scouts though.  It is sad because he has done it since he was a Tiger cub, but I think he is wanting to move on, though it makes him sad to think about because in his view he has done it pretty much his whole life.  DS loved Venturing, but our crew died out and we were never able to get enough people interested/recruited to keep it going.  I wish they still had an explorer post (branch of the BSA) around here, but it died out shortly after DH aged out of it many years ago.  He has been wanting to possibly do a police cadet program or something instead.

For anyone on the Western Slope of CO!

Wednesday, Nov. 6th, 6:30 Ute Indian Museum, Montrose, CO
📷

BEAVER PELTS & SLAVES
THE STORY OF FORT UNCOMPAHGRE
AND THE OLD SPANISH TRAIL
Wednesday, November 6th, 6:30 – 8:00 pm
Ute Indian Museum
17253 Chipeta Road, Montrose, CO
970 249-3098.
FREE admission
Author and Fort Uncompahgre volunteer historian Dave Fishell
will present a fascinating program on the Fort and
the Old Spanish Trail known as the old path.
During the early 1800s Fort Uncompahgre; once located near today's town of Delta; was a busy fur trade era post.
The northern branch of the Old Spanish Trail also connected the fort with Santa Fe, New Mexico and southern California. This vast region was then part of Mexico. Fishell will also cover horse stealing, the slave trade
that probably passed through the fort, flintlock rifles and how not to throw a tomahawk.
This program is brought to you by the Ute Indian Museum and Fort Uncompahgre Interpretive Center

57 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

The CG has officially taken over Sea Scouts--anything with CG in your area? We have a really good Post up north with the FD and EMTs. 

DS got to take a Safety at Sea course with his Sea Scout Ship at at Coast Guard Station on one of the Great Lakes. It was a really cool experience and some things he hadn't done before.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Thought I'd pop this back up, as I spent the day registering for things: winter banquet for old Lodge, winter banquet for new Lodge (I wouldn't go, but I'll already be in Denver), paid all the new Lodge dues for 4 of us (I'm resurrecting ds's membership so he doesn't get lost. They've misplaced records right and left in the transfer. I found his Ordeal, Brotherhood, and Vigil dates, and BSA number (yay for all those piles of Scout notebooks) but of course, I have NO idea what his Vigil name is!) I'm trying to get commitments on Klondike--Denver is about to advertise it, so we need to get going! The new pile of Eagle books should arrive tomorrow, so I wanted to get these registrations out of the way. And I registered for the Council dinner--it's going to be a pain as it will finish at 10, then we drive home for 5 hours, and THEN host a job fair for Philmont the next day! And I almost finished District Award of Merit paperwork. Denver decided it should be part of Council (excuse me, it's always been part of the district celebration) and they moved it up a month! Ack! I have 6 days to pull this off but I just need one more form. And I'm trying to find out: do we really have to sign up for an OA election team to come? Um, it's a school night, 5 hours away, over several major passes. I rather doubt anyone is going to drive over! We've done our own elections for years--almost the entire troop is OA. We have 2, maybe 3 boys eligible this spring. We won't add another adult--the eligible ones are already in. The Crew girls are already in. 

What are you up to in Scouting land? 

• Like 1

My eldest has met all of the requirements for her Pioneer level award, except for some badge requirements and getting those badges signed off.

The OCC packing party was a big deal - successful I think, but we learned a lot that we wished we'd known before.  I suggested that my youngest (1st year Pioneer) run this next year - and next time we will use the online resources and get a much earlier start.  (This year, it wasn't even an idea in our minds until way too late for proper planning.)

The spa day was great too.  The troop really seemed to enjoy it.  My oldest dd ran the nail polish table, and my youngest ran the hair station.  Other stations were face/skin care and general body hygiene.  We had some nice treats and played some spa-like music.  Someone brought recliner chairs and other fun props.  Really a good idea for our troop.

As far as badges, we keep hopping around from one arts badge to another ... still not sure which we will finish.  We did some of the requirements for theater, musical performance, and creative writing.  For science, zoology is essentially finished other than presenting certain things to the troop.  Emergency preparedness, outdoor skills, and family helper are close.  But we really need to focus.  We've been having some focus issues over the past couple months ... hopefully we'll get past that.

My youngest is well on her way with her requirements.  For the level award, she just needs to run a service project (hopefully the next OCC) and finish 5 badges.  She has over a year to do that.

After cross-over, I am hoping to finish up the next round of badges as soon as possible ... many of them are largely done.  I want to get most requirements behind us as other demands ramp up.

• Like 4

My dd (14), GS Senior, finished her silver award last school year so now her troop is working on a journey for this year and thinking about possible gold award projects.  It's been tricky for her; she's the only homeschooler in the troop, and the other girls chose projects for their silver award that were tied to their respective schools.. even for gold awards, we've heard about completed gold award projects at the annual awards ceremonies, and it always seems to be connected somehow to their school.. which I guess makes sense because it's easier, but it's different for dd since she doesn't have that ready, supportive environment available. So we've been cycling through potential ideas...

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Kate in Arabia said:

My dd (14), GS Senior, finished her silver award last school year so now her troop is working on a journey for this year and thinking about possible gold award projects.  It's been tricky for her; she's the only homeschooler in the troop, and the other girls chose projects for their silver award that were tied to their respective schools.. even for gold awards, we've heard about completed gold award projects at the annual awards ceremonies, and it always seems to be connected somehow to their school.. which I guess makes sense because it's easier, but it's different for dd since she doesn't have that ready, supportive environment available. So we've been cycling through potential ideas...

Anything for a faith community? We've had projects for the city, Nat'l Parks, fire department, Am Legion, cemeteries, and food pantries. One GS did a marble kiosk for the city, and taught marbles classes. Her little brother wants to do the same thing, only for the national marbles group, as he won the national title last year. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, SKL said:

My eldest has met all of the requirements for her Pioneer level award, except for some badge requirements and getting those badges signed off.

The OCC packing party was a big deal - successful I think, but we learned a lot that we wished we'd known before.  I suggested that my youngest (1st year Pioneer) run this next year - and next time we will use the online resources and get a much earlier start.  (This year, it wasn't even an idea in our minds until way too late for proper planning.)

The spa day was great too.  The troop really seemed to enjoy it.  My oldest dd ran the nail polish table, and my youngest ran the hair station.  Other stations were face/skin care and general body hygiene.  We had some nice treats and played some spa-like music.  Someone brought recliner chairs and other fun props.  Really a good idea for our troop.

As far as badges, we keep hopping around from one arts badge to another ... still not sure which we will finish.  We did some of the requirements for theater, musical performance, and creative writing.  For science, zoology is essentially finished other than presenting certain things to the troop.  Emergency preparedness, outdoor skills, and family helper are close.  But we really need to focus.  We've been having some focus issues over the past couple months ... hopefully we'll get past that.

My youngest is well on her way with her requirements.  For the level award, she just needs to run a service project (hopefully the next OCC) and finish 5 badges.  She has over a year to do that.

After cross-over, I am hoping to finish up the next round of badges as soon as possible ... many of them are largely done.  I want to get most requirements behind us as other demands ramp up.

Interesting. OCC packing party tends to be a Explorer run event in our troop. And yes, it's often somewhat last minute.  I keep trying to get people to think ahead, take advantage of school supply deals, etc. But... no good so far.

28 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Interesting. OCC packing party tends to be a Explorer run event in our troop. And yes, it's often somewhat last minute.  I keep trying to get people to think ahead, take advantage of school supply deals, etc. But... no good so far.

The Samaritan's Purse website has a suggested timeline and other resources for people who plan ahead.  🙂 

This year was our troop's first OCC party ever, so there was no established structure or anything other than a few words of wisdom from our troop leader.  So it was a real challenge for my 13-year-old.  Next year part of the goal will be to establish an annual plan so that it can be an easier project going forward.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Anything for a faith community? We've had projects for the city, Nat'l Parks, fire department, Am Legion, cemeteries, and food pantries. One GS did a marble kiosk for the city, and taught marbles classes. Her little brother wants to do the same thing, only for the national marbles group, as he won the national title last year. 

Thanks for the suggestions! It will be interesting to see what she ultimately focuses on.  So far her ideas have been... unrealistic.  Admirable, but not practical for here 😉

I keep a running list of ideas:

building an overlook for the bald eagles at the fish hatchery

redo the BMX track--it's a mess

sod the area around the Rec Center--it's never been finished

label the storm drains as "drains to river no dumping"

handicapped playground--we don't have one in our town

gaga ball pit at the park near the river

sunshade over the picnic tables at the dog park

"memory lane" (photos and maps) on the wall at the nursing home toward the dining hall. The residents can see where they used to live

Social services is always looking for backpacks with hygiene items, stuffie, school supplies, etc. for kids pulled into foster care. All too often, their stuff is dumped in garbage sacks

sock drive for the food pantry

shelving for food pantry

turning unused kitchen into cry room at church

running trail by the middle school with bridges over the ditches

build, rebuild, and then rebuild again--the nature trail north of town in the forest service campground

tear out invasive Russian Olive trees out of a river park and rebuild the trails--helps if the dad/SM has a hotshot firefighting crew and can torch them for you!

build handicapped overhang at the river for fishing access

storage unit for fishing supplies for veterans' group

food drive (staples) in conjunction with a VBS at the Navajo reservation

here's one--move an enormous fossil on the BLM land (if I had known the cliff they were hauling it up, I never would have signed it!), permanently mount it with interpretive signage inside the BLM building

little free libraries all over town

traffic calming structures downtown in small town, made into planters

raised bed planters for wheelchair access at the nursing home

model railroad at the Pioneer Museum modeled after the local narrow-gauge trains

adoptable pet days at various stores such as Tractor Supply

Ball Stick Bird wooden letter pieces for handwriting at the school

making tied quilts for veterans' at the Vets nursing home--the kid involved his troop and the local quilting society--ended up with over 500 hours in it

hospice bags with lotion, resources, fleece quilt, warm socks, etc. Mom embroidered all the bags that the church members sewed

get used laptops and teach nursing home residents how to use them. At least that was the idea, but it morphed into 20 boys teaching 20 old ladies how to use Facebook to see photos of their grandkids! It was very successful

take one varsity basketball team, and one group of middle schoolers, and hold a weekend, two day basketball clinic, including sports psychology, nutrition, drills, etc. One of the most successful projects I've seen!

My DS just got the call today that he got the job he had applied for at Philmont .Now we just have to wait for the ground to dry enough to actually do the work day for his Eagle  Project. Unfortunately, with the winter we have had so far, that could be May.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, City Mouse said:

My DS just got the call today that he got the job he had applied for at Philmont .Now we just have to wait for the ground to dry enough to actually do the work day for his Eagle  Project. Unfortunately, with the winter we have had so far, that could be May.

Congrats! I'm doing a job fair next month to represent Philmont. 

My AHG girl is working on her Spiritual Development requirements for her Dolley Madison level award. 

She is working on a couple of badges with her unit and on Cooking at home.

• Like 1

DS just got his paperwork back for his eagle, it is now official and we can start planning his court of honor!!!

Youngest is going to have his board of review for Star this coming week.

• Like 2

We had a great Winter Banquet. Young man from our Chapter (the Chief) got Vigil--he was crying, we were crying. Kid so deserves it. And a hs mom also did too, only she couldn't make it--she'll find out tomorrow. This is going to be SO fun to see her face!

Our Winter Banquet (Vigil mom is cooking) is tomorrow. I hope the roads clear as it's going to be 6 hours of driving over several big passes. I have an Eagle Board to conduct whist the Scouts go bowling. 

Our district is no longer--out of western CO, we now have just two: 3 Rivers, and Majestic Mesas. We went out to dinner with my new helper for advancement, and I got recognition dropped in my lap. That's fine, but I wish they'd let me make decisions, NOT say it's up to me and then move the timeline up 4 months! The new Chair pontificated at us. He is NOT happy about the laid-back style that our district has used quite successfully for years. I could see him getting more and more miffed as the outgoing Chair did his usual relational-based meeting. We're friends. It's supposed to be fun. We're in Scouts for programming, NOT efficiency and the all-mighty bottom line. This is going to be interesting!

• Like 1

Arg! The Denver OA guy didn't get my email with all of ds's OA info, so I had to reconstruct it. However, I found his Vigil certificate WITH his Vigil name on it! Everyone is registered! Hallelujah!

Not sure why the cert had never been framed--have to fix that. 

• 1 month later...

Want to share a form I had to go dig up yesterday for my district adv helper. There are 3 times there are extensions for Eagle: documented disability such as Down's Syndrome, temporary extension when girls joined: https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2019/01/31/temporary-transition-rules-give-new-scouts-bsa-members-the-chance-to-earn-eagle/  and then a little-known extension for basically, disasters: https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-077.pdf  If you just have poor time management skills, you're out of luck when you age out, but if you've diligently working along and your house is hit by a tornado, there's a form for that!  It's BSA, of course there's a form! It's not an easy process, with many, many needed signatures, but it does exist. 

My eldest is on her last month to finish requirements for her Harriet Tubman award (AHG).  She is 90-100% done with all the required badges; but we need to document things and she needs to present some things to her troop/unit.  The hardest thing for both my girls right now is having to make up and direct another person to perform a song (in front of the troop).  This is a requirement of the music performance badge.

We are well on our way to finishing some additional badges, but hope to do that after cross-over so that they can count for the next level.  Signed up for camping in June.  My girls will be thrilled.  😛

Working on the God and Church pin has stalled.  So much going on.  Still not sure but maybe it will get done this spring ... and if it gets done after crossover, not sure whether it will count toward Dolley Madison....

• Like 2

I"m starting to think about where and when we're going to have DS's Eagle Court of Honor. We're waiting for final paperwork back from Council, but he's been invited to the Eagle banquet for all 2019 Eagle Scouts. He's working on his 4th Palm and needs to finish one more merit badge. He's also working on Ordinary rank in Sea Scouts and got an invitation to the Koch International Sea Scout Cup this summer!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Ds is hopefully having his TF SM conference and BOR in the next week. He is working on the Personal Fitness mb and the troop is working on the Mining one. Haven't heard yet if summer camp is happening or not.

Dd (AHG Patriot) is thinking through next year because she will be the Patriot unit leader. She is working on Book Adventurer and Cooking badges. When some of her schoolwork wraps up, she'll work on finishing Our Flag and doing Citizenship& Government.  She is also working on her Spiritual Development program. That is the last thing she needs for her Dolley Madison level award. 

Our AHG troop has girls planning to attend the Trail Life/AHG Night Ops event in September, so they will begin preparations for that as soon as CV restrictions ease up a bit here. Shouldn't be too hard to do bc they can be outside and are a group of less than 10. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

The Koch Cup Regatta has been postponed until 2021. Hopefully, DS and his sailing partner will be able to do it then. It would have been an amazing opportunity and now we don't even know if he'll get to go.😢

He finished Eagle rank four months ago and we still haven't been able to plan an Eagle Court of Honor. Who knows when it'll even be possible. The Eagle banquet was postponed to next week, but probably will be moved again or won't happen at all. DH is trying to do online meetings with Scouts, but attendance isn't that great. He's hoping they can do something like a bike ride by the end of the month to get them outdoors in an activity that allows them to stay apart. Summer camp is still being planned, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets canceled too.

Philmont announced today that they will push back opening to July 1st. I feel SO bad for the Scouts that got burned out that then got pushed back, and now will not be able to go until '21 or '22. So many will be aged out by then or off at college or jobs.

Our camp has a Zoom meeting next Monday to share their plans. CO is opening up, so here's hoping!

• Sad 1

And the Advancement camp that I was planning on going to in June has been moved to July. Ulp--that's our county fair week. I should be here to work the rodeos with the troop, but I'll be honest--I'd rather go to Philmont for District Advancement stuff. 

And I just realized that I may not be able to take the troop to camp, even if it opens, due to my age! And Philmont may be out as I'll be 65 two weeks after the session I want to go to! Arg!

10 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

And I just realized that I may not be able to take the troop to camp, even if it opens, due to my age! And Philmont may be out as I'll be 65 two weeks after the session I want to go to! Arg!

Are they enforcing an age limit at Philmont even if you otherwise meet health requirements? I don't think that will go over well.

7 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

Are they enforcing an age limit at Philmont even if you otherwise meet health requirements? I don't think that will go over well.

I don't know. The two guys who are running the welcome center are both pushing 70--I think they turn 70 this year (they are best friends and OA members since 15yos or so. I called one today, and so far, they are not enforcing it. Of course, if comes down to the NM governor!

I've officially not been diabetic for a year (of course I haven't checked my A1C in a year either!) so I can probably sneak by with that. 

Our county, in all its wisdom, has officially decided that I can no longer even go to the grocery store. We now have the EIGHTH amended health order, and no one actually read it--as usual. The way they wrote it, we cannot leave the house at all once the county opens up a bit this next week! I understand the "no meetings for over 60" thing, but the wording makes it so we cannot even go out our doors. I'm sure on Monday we'll have ANOTHER order, "clarifying" things!

• Sad 1
18 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

I don’t think an age limit has been put into place for Philmont. I haven’t heard anything about that, but I will ask around. There has been some talk about altering the program when it does open, but I don’t think that is official yet, so I won’t give any details. 

I am not aware of any age based restrictions here in New Mexico. there have been 0 cases of the virus so far in Philmont’s zip code and only 5 cases in the entire county. The local community wants to keep in that way. Today I saw the first report of a local restaurant (pick up only) that is going to require anyone from out of town to wear a mask to enter the building. They will offer curb side service for those who don’t wear masks. 

• 3 weeks later...

Scouts Canada had a national virtual campfire last night, broadcast on youtube.  Groups submitted songs, cheers, skits (mostly recorded from zoom meetings, some recorded at live campfires pre-COVID) and national pieced them all together, inter-cut with goofy campfire "hosts" antics.  It was really fun.  Our cubs did a skit - it was really cute.

I'm about back where I was last year ... really not sure about continuing next year.  And if I don't decide to remain active next year, then should we just drop the whole thing right now?  Or finish what we'd planned to do before crossover?

We've been on a hiatus since corona delayed the crossover.  We are still very close to finishing enough badges to get the level award.  We will have time this coming week to finish that.  But I'm not sure if it's worth the effort ... I think I have become lazy or something.  Motivation is at an all time low in all areas.  I think it's the inability to plan for the future that has muddled up our present.

So I haven't said anything to anyone about it yet.  Right now I'm leaning toward finishing those badges, and trying to get close to finishing badges for the next level too.  My youngest should easily have all the requirements for her 2021 level award, if she proceeds with the fall Operation Christmas Child project - though, who knows if that is even possible this year?  Then they could both reconsider whether to continue when they are a little more mature.

I had thought they were going to go to high school in the same city as the AHG meetings, which would make things a lot easier.  But now they are registered for a school that is still farther away.  I don't know what high school is going to be like - what the extracurricular schedule / homework demands will be.  So it's hard to say.  If I agree to continue, I'll probably have to be a leader, which is a real commitment for me ....

• Like 1

DH tried to get together a bike ride last week with the troop, but only a couple of leaders and one Scout other than DS showed up. He's trying again tomorrow. As of now, summer camp is still on, but there are so many changes and new rules that interest is low. Sea Scouts have been having online meetings and did a workday in shifts so they could work in very small groups. We still haven't been able to have an Eagle Court of Honor and ds will probably age out of the troop before it's even possible.

All summer camps are cancelled and all Scouts Canada properties are closed to at least Aug 31 here. 

Our cub group has been doing a really good job with virtual meetings for our cubs.  We've done games (in-home scavenger hunt is very popular),  songs (make up a hand-washing song with actions, to help remember the steps for a proper hand-wash, present to the group the next week), cutting fabric for the local mask-sewing guild, making water filters (hosted by the local university STEM outreach group), a bead craft, making planters, guiding youth through badge requirements (it's the perfect time to work on the "home" badge), filming our skit for the virtual national campfire.  It's been surprisingly engaging and productive.