Menu

What's with the ads?

The Accidental Coach

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

Congrats on your new Eagle, Kinsa!!!

Ds is in the fund and build stage, with a goal of getting the bat boxes installed by Earth Day. Looks like he has plenty of help with the jrs and srs as well as lots of new tenderfoots that just came over.

• Like 1

Geezle got his Scout rank. He managed to ask an older scout to sign his book, ask the Scout Master for his conference, tie his joining knot (a HUGE accomplishment for him because he struggles with fine motor skills a lot), and talk to the advancement chair to get on the BOR list. I'm very proud of him because that was pretty far out of his comfort zone and he did it. We're going to district camporee in two weeks so he should be able to get some of his Tenderfoot requirements done.

My Juniors are almost done with the aMuse journey and we've done 8 badges this year. Next year we'll have more Juniors, so it should be even more fun. We're going to our SU campout in 3 weeks and the girls are very excited. Trinqueta's looking forward to summer camp. She's doing a horseback riding camp in June and a pioneer camp in July.

• Like 1

I did the camp training for our GS troop today! We have an incredibly dynamic group of leaders now too and we all bonded so much that we are going on a leader overnight next month to discuss more troop options.

DS is making a cake with his father this weekend for the father-son cake bake pack meeting Tuesday night. His theme is the solar system. We've discovered as a family that commercial fondant tastes like silly putty. Mars and Jupiter are for decorating purposes only. :ack2:

• Like 1

We had our Blue & Gold banquet tonight. DS8 earned his wolf badge, several patches, 3 belt loops - hiking, fishing, and bowling, a gold arrow point and 3 silver arrow points, and the God and Me pin and patch. He's already looked through his bear book at all the things we will be doing next year. I can tell the electives are getting a lot more involved. I found out that day camp is the same week as VBS at our church, and VBS at my in-laws' church, which the boys like to attend. We're going to have to make a decision as to what to do that week.

DS6 is very excited that he will get to be a tiger cub next year!

• Like 2

My boys are camping this weekend. Younger ds should finish off his requirements for both 2nd class and 1st class. All he'll need is his BoR and his plan is to be Star by the fall. He was chosen to be Assistant Patrol Leader, again. For some reason, the boys elected a totally new scout into the Patrol Leader position. Ds is his helper. I thought it should be the other way around, but the 2 of them work well together so I'm sure it will work out. He didn't get much done over Spring Break on merit badges though.

Older ds will be meeting with his Cit in the Com counsellor in a couple of weeks to get most of it signed off. He is the Assistant Senior Patrol Leader and has his sights set on finishing Eagle by Christmas. He's one of the few older boys on the camping trip this weekend and he is not fond of wild, screaming kids. I think he was assigned to work on knife/saw/axe safety and fire-building with the new boys. I encouraged him to be strict, but calm with the boys. Hopefully it went ok.

• Like 1

thanks melissa! Not sure where I'm going to buy that stuff-- nobody around here sells that stuff that I know of...

Look for a military surplus store. You can often get stuff there really cheap!

For Philmont in winter, don't skimp - invest in some merino wool undergarments, including socks and underwear. He needs moisture wicking clothing. No cotton clothing is allowed.

You might want to just do a google search for "Philmont in winter" or similar terms. Many experienced folks often blog about it, complete with excellent recommendations for how to prepare for it.

Hope your son is physically conditioning himself for this experience. If he is not used to altitude, the adjustment in the cold may be tougher. Be sure he is running several times a week.

Update: My oldest was nominated to, an accepted his nomination into Order of the Arrow! Ordeal is the last weekend in April...which is also the family campout...and also the weekend I'm going to IOLS.

• Like 1

I have a younger CS and I have some questions.

DS is an Aspie. DS is currently in love with scouting. He's working on 3 belt loops, and two pins. He's honestly stymied only by the fact that things like the pet care belt loop require two weeks of care. If it wasn't for that requirement, he'd just sit down and spend 8 hours in a day reading and making the poster. So I'm grateful that there's a forced time frame to make him slow down a little.

But I,look at the CS Wolf book and he's going to be done with that stinker in about a month if he keeps this up. Since he doesn't turn 8 until July, should I go back to the Tiger book and work on that with him? We slow down in the summer. I'm worried when we go back to weekly meetinsg that DS is going to sit there slightly bored because he will have done all the Wolf book work.

We started him in Wolf because that's where he age group peers are.

Homeschooling make scouts easier and harder in some ways. For example, the reading and writing belt loop: Visit a library and get a library card. Really? You mean like we do every Thursday? And he's had a library card for three years. :laugh:

Now the diary for a week detailing his activities is a great idea and writing a letter is a great idea but we're going to splash through those in well, a WEEK. And the academic pin? Particpate in a school or community organized reading program. You mean, like we do EVERY summer with our library's summer reading program? Yeah, we kinda smash right on through that one too.

And we're active in 4-H. You want a belt loop? Take the 6 week 4-H golf class, like we were planning on doing anyway. Bam.

I love that nerds are more socially accepted in CS. But what do you do when you're raising Lord of the Nerds? DS could go back to CS den meetings in the fall with the whole darn wolf book done. I'm not going to stop him. He's NOT on his Wii or his DS!! I'm flipping thrilled. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get the Tiger book and do that this summer in addition to the belt loop, pins, and Nova award goals. Then I could put the wolf book down and keep more in line with his den.

With my DD, I'd worry that this is more about decoration and less about education. But with DS' Aspie tendencies this is about, "Here's my list. I don't know this. I will go learn about this. And then I can check this off my list." CS has given him a very extensive list with very concrete rules. Oh, that tickles the Aspie brain.

He turns 8 in July. We could have the Tiger book done by then.

So, is he registered as a Tiger or as a Wolf? If he is a Wolf NOW, he should not go back and do Tigers--that ship has sailed. If he was a Wolf this year (as a second grader) he will be a Bear this coming year as a third grader. When does your Pack do Crossover? Some officially move the boys up in the spring and some in the fall. He'll be a 3rd grader this fall, right? So, he'll be in the Bear book either in this spring or the fall, depending on your Pack's structure.

eta: he HAS earned his Bobcat already?

Another thing--you do realize that Duty to God is a foundational tenet of Boy Scouting? I see from your signature that you consider yourself an atheist. This is going to cause a problem on down the line with Scouting if your boy shares your views. The boy must espouse a belief in God, though there is wide latitude for his concept of God.

He earned his bobcat in three days. He joined CS three weeks ago during their spring roundup. We weren't sure where to put DS so we put him in a den with boys closest to his age.

And yes, they are aware I am an atheist. We also infrequently attend the local UU church. That satisfied the cubmaster. We questioned the heck out of each other on the religion and homosexuality issue and I quite happily found that we have a rather liberal troop. That's why we are there. Our troop is also deliberately NOT affiliated with a particular church so there is a greater amount of diversity within the group, also another reason I even considered CS. After this, if DS continues to be in BS, we graduate to a liberal Quaker troop. Those leaders and boys have actively petitioned BS to change several of its policies so I can happily work alongside that group as well. Considering that the local BS troop has 100 boys and DS' CS troop is 40ish. they must be doing something right. :)

Well, as the end of the CS year is quickly coming up, he'll be a Bear next year in the fall. Do you have one more full Pack meeting left this spring? If so, have him earn his Wolf by then and then on to blue neckerchiefs! If he's registered as a Wolf, then he does not go back and do Tigers--that's for 1st graders.

Your current Pack may be fine with your loose association with the UU church and the proposed troop may let it slide, but he WILL be asked at his Eagle Board of Review how he shows his Duty to God. EBoR are conducted by the Council, not the individual troop. It's not up to the troop to circumvent the 12th point of the Scout Law--for Eagle, it's up to the District Advancement Chair and the committee to examine the boy's beliefs. Eagle is a long ways away for your boy, but I did want to give you the heads-up!

He is not a Wolf now. He is working on his Wolf badge. That's my main issue. He could be done with his Wolf badge in 2 weeks if I let him.

As I said before, if he goes up to Eagle he will be in a progressive Quaker church troop that is actively campaigning for the homosexual thing to go away and for a relaxation of all the rules that drive progressives from CS/BS. I'm really not worried about that at all. As I've recently learned not ALL BS/CS troops follow the same strictures. And UU is far older and more respected than some of the upstart Protestant churches up here. The local council doesn't mess with either troop too much because both troops are the largest in our area. Drive away the progressives and the whole BS/Cs thing collapses up here. Suits us just fine. :D

It's obviously not the right troop for you. That's fine with me! It's the right troop/s for us.

DS is a Tenderfoot and working on Orienteering and Camping. This weekend he went to a workshop and earned Radio and Electronics.

DD is in American Heritage Girls and we as a group are working on Young Meteorologist. She also just earned Pet Care and is working on Zoology.

DS is a Tenderfoot and working on Orienteering and Camping. This weekend he went to a workshop and earned Radio and Electronics.

DD is in American Heritage Girls and we as a group are working on Young Meteorologist. She also just earned Pet Care and is working on Zoology.

Electronics was a favorite badge here! Even if ds managed to burn himself with the soldering iron.

Ds is going to the troop meeting very briefly to get blue cards signed off and then to a wilderness medicine seminar at our search & resuce team. We have the only collegiate s&r team that is fully certified.

Ds is going to the troop meeting very briefly to get blue cards signed off and then to a wilderness medicine seminar at our search & resuce team. We have the only collegiate s&r team that is fully certified.

\

We're jealoius!

SM spent a few days trying to find someone local here to work with boys on this... so far nothing, but we do have a few leads (that haven't returned our calls yet. -- suspecting they are getting ALOT of calls for help. LOL)

The head of disaster planning for the county ran the s&r at the college for years. He does E Prep for us--very cool guy. Plus, a number of our collegiate Eagle Scouts that help with our troop are on the s&r team. We know all the county guys 'cause dh is the fire chief and one dd is a swift water rescue tech. She hasn't worked it in years though, as she's too busy flying her helo on rescues clear across the world!

Check with your emergency response team for your county.

He is not a Wolf now. He is working on his Wolf badge. That's my main issue. He could be done with his Wolf badge in 2 weeks if I let him.

I think the issue is one of semantics and scouting culture. Calling a boy a Tiger, Wolf, Bear or whatever is simply what happens when a boy joins that particular den, independent of having earned the rank. Whether the boy joined a particular den in August, December or March, he would be called by the appropriate moniker. This is the exact opposite from Boy Scouts where the boy must complete all requirements first and then gets to be called by the rank.

If your son did indeed join a Tiger Den and is in First Grade, then he may earn his Tiger. Since he will be 8 in July I assume he is a 1st grader. In that case yes, go back and do Tiger. It will be a lot of fun for both of you.

By August (when he is entering second grade) he should be ready to begin work on the Wolf requirements. Your task will be to hold tight to his enthusiasm until then because the requirements should be completed in the scouting year and not before.

If he is in Second grade and joined the Wolf Den then he works on Wolf. He may not go back and earn Tiger. I would recommend that he work on earning his Wolf, arrow points and belt loops. If he is interested in the NOVA awards, move forward on those.

One nice thing about the Cub Scout program is that it can be self-paced (not all dens or packs are happy about boys working independently and prefer each den to work on the same things, at the same time). It sounds like your son will be one who can take the program and run with it. Just wait until he can sink his teeth into those Webelos achievements!!

Anyway, welcome to Cub Scouting!!

• Like 1

That is the information I was looking for! THANK YOU!!!

We worked on our Tiger badge independently of a group last year because of the social issues. So I have the Tiger book too. We didn't complete some of it because DS lost his enthusiasm and I should have pushed him more. Honestly, I felt really lost going back and forth between the two and I still do. I just did 6 hours of GS training on Saturday and Journey training on Sunday so all my language is in GS terms right now.

And I walked into the first pack meeting thinking I'd have more help placing DS. DS is working mostly at a third grade level. Well, he's all over the map because we homeschool. We get to do that. First grade math but third grade grammar and on his third year cycle of history which our PS doesn't even do. :lol:

DS is only 7. But the third grade boys look HUGE compared to him. There are only 3 other homeschoolers in the pack and we all seemed to have gotten placed randomly. I think our cubmaster may have done it by height. DS' father is 6'4 and I'm 5'9.

That is the information I was looking for! THANK YOU!!!

We worked on our Tiger badge independently of a group last year because of the social issues. So I have the Tiger book too. We didn't complete some of it because DS lost his enthusiasm and I should have pushed him more. Honestly, I felt really lost going back and forth between the two and I still do. I just did 6 hours of GS training on Saturday and Journey training on Sunday so all my language is in GS terms right now.

And I walked into the first pack meeting thinking I'd have more help placing DS. DS is working mostly at a third grade level. Well, he's all over the map because we homeschool. We get to do that. First grade math but third grade grammar and on his third year cycle of history which our PS doesn't even do. :lol:

DS is only 7. But the third grade boys look HUGE compared to him. There are only 3 other homeschoolers in the pack and we all seemed to have gotten placed randomly. I think our cubmaster may have done it by height. DS' father is 6'4 and I'm 5'9.

I am involved with American Heritage Girls, not Cubs. DS just finished his Cub career and bridged over to BS. I *think* AHG and Cubs have similar rules.

Beginning Tiger Cubs must be under the age of 8, have completed kindergarten or be in the first grade or be age 7. Cub Scouts must have completed the first grade but not completed third grade or be age 8 or 9. And Webelos Scouts must have completed third grade but not completed fifth grade or age 10 but not yet 11 1/2. Theyo have to go on to Boy Scouts before they turn 12 (? someome correct me, if I am wrong there?) and not before they are 11 1/2. If you skip your son ahead, then at some point he would not be old enough to join the Webelo Level. At some point he would developmentally and socially behind the other boys by a long shot. My son didn't do Tigers, Wolves or Bears; he joined as a Webelo. He still finished everything he needed, earned his Arrow of Light, etc. There is no reason to rush things.

Scouts is an area where I believe (and most scouting groups do too) it is better to keep them with kids their own age. My eldest dd could read independently at age 3, at 12 her favorite book was The Iliad. I know what it is like to have an advanced child. Anyway, you are free to take it with a grain of salt, jmo, ymmv, etc.

• Like 1

Beginning Tiger Cubs must be under the age of 8, have completed kindergarten or be in the first grade or be age 7. Cub Scouts must have completed the first grade but not completed third grade or be age 8 or 9.

Thank you too, Mrs Mungo!

Where we have the homeschooled people confused is we have several new people in the troop who joined this spring (like DS) so not only do you have kids who aren't following the tradtional 1st, 2nd, 3rd grade rule but you also have kids joining at the near end of the school year. I would totally agree with DS being a Wolf in September. He's like a Tiger and a half now basically. And CS doesn't have half animals. :)

And since he has a July birthday if we weren't homeschooling, I would have had the option of keeping him home another year before entering him in K and I would have done that. I'd rather he be older than younger in school, especially because he is a boy.

For homeschooling, his sister is in third so I've made him do most of his work alongside her. They're 14 months apart. I wasn't going to do two seperate curriculums. In the beginning, it simply took him a little longer to get stuff. We fracture a bit because DS is better at reading but they are doing history together.

MM, since your DD is different than her AHG peers by schooling how has scouting (does AHG call it, "scouting?") worked for her?

As a mom with scouts in both CUB scouts AND boy scouts, I wanted to give you a different point of view.

Cub scouts is very, very different from boy scouts. Night and day different! So what you are seeing as a parent of a cub scout and making it work with your family's religious views is MUCH simpler in cub scouts. It works for your family and is a good fit. That is GREAT! I think cub scouts is wonderful for boys and it sounds like what I'm reading is that you are working to be a very involved scouting mom! Awesome-- the more parents are involved, the better experience the boys have. :D

You have alot of time ahead as a cub scout parent. And that is good. You and your son will grow in knowledge and skill through cub scouts. That's a good thing!

Now, the other view-- of a mom with 2 boys in BOY scouts. SOOOO different. I'm not talking to you about eagle boards (a whole bigger level of issues you might encounter)... Let's talk about just the regular part of boy scouts. Boy scouts is a totally different world from cub scouts. For one, the parents are not there-- this is about the BOYS adventure, the boys becoming responsible, capable young men. The transformation and difference in the boys is astounding! You won't believe it! :D

When I say the parents are not "there"-- I mean it. Even parent volunteers are expected to be in the frame of mind as an adult leader, not a mommy or daddy to their scout. The kids are expected to not go to mom or dad for help or assistance. They go to a their Patrol (similar to a den) or to a different adult leader. So there's alot of stepping back wehre you were completely involved-- that's a hard adjustment, trust me! :D

But there is alot of religion involved in the everyday of scouting. And I say this from a troop that has an equal mixture of Catholic, Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, etc... The prayer at every weekly troop meeting is generic, but ALL participate. Duty to God is mentioned frequently. ALOT of service projects are at religious places. Every scoutmaster conference and Board of review (moving up in rank) involves the question of Duty to God. The people running those-- at every troop-- take it very seriously.

While you say you will search for a troop that is not stringent upon the religion aspect, I think what you don't realize is that in BOY scouts it's really different . You might have people telling you it's "no big deal" and go ahead and join their troop but I think there is a communication disconnect there...

As an involved scouting mom, I have personally seen GREAT, awesome kids get really upset over religious beliefs. Their family is athiest, and the boy has a difficult time as scouts is not structured to support that dynamic. They usually either lie (which is against scouting principles) or drop out. I'd hate to see any boy upset over this, so I'm just giving you a heads up. Perhaps this is something that your family can take some time to decide a way to handle that will not harm your son. Make sense?

You have alot of time to figure things out between now and then. And who knows-- your family might at some point find some religious denomination that is a good fit. (I am not trying to convert you to anything, but just saying who knows what might happen between now and the next 5-6 years).

Now, can we PLEASE get back to the positive point of this thread-- about our kids doing fun and exciting things in whatever scouting program they are in??????

Edited by Moderator
Removed references to offensive post
  • Like 2

Oldest son is waiting until JUNE to find out about OA... I'm dying here... LOL I really wanna cheat and hack into some database somewhere and find out. Is that possible? :lol: LOL

He also just informed me that his newest goal is to finish his Eagle by March of next year. He's decided he wants to join Venture after eagle. And now he wants to also start visiting those in the area... eeek! :coolgleamA: Don't know much about venture, to be honest. Just kinda had Boy scouting figured out! LOL

• Like 2

So, is he registered as a Tiger or as a Wolf? If he is a Wolf NOW, he should not go back and do Tigers--that ship has sailed. If he was a Wolf this year (as a second grader) he will be a Bear this coming year as a third grader. When does your Pack do Crossover? Some officially move the boys up in the spring and some in the fall. He'll be a 3rd grader this fall, right? So, he'll be in the Bear book either in this spring or the fall, depending on your Pack's structure.

eta: he HAS earned his Bobcat already?

Another thing--you do realize that Duty to God is a foundational tenet of Boy Scouting? I see from your signature that you consider yourself an atheist. This is going to cause a problem on down the line with Scouting if your boy shares your views. The boy must espouse a belief in God, though there is wide latitude for his concept of God.

Margaret has given you good advice about what rank your boy should be. BSA has specific age/grade requirements, which can be found on page 17 of BSA's Guide to Advancement:

http://www.scouting....e/pdf/33088.pdf

BSA advancement does include religious requirements. You can find a list of them by rank here:

http://usscouts.org/advancementTOC.asp

I copied and pasted the Wolf requirements for you:

DUTY TO GOD (Page 94)

• Complete the Character Connection for Faith
    • Know. What is "faith"? With your family, discuss some people who have shown their faith - who have shown an inner strength based on their trust in a higher power or cause. Discuss the good qualities of these people.

• Commit. Discuss these questions with your family: What problems did these faithful people overcome to follow or practice their beliefs? What challenges might you face in doing your duty to God? Who can help you with these challenges?

• Practice. Practice your faith while doing the requirements for "Duty to God."

[*]Talk with your family about what they believe is their duty to God.

[*]Give two ideas on how you can practice or demonstrate your religious beliefs. Choose one and do it.

[*]Find out how you can help your church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or religious fellowship.

I do have two practical suggestions that may be a help. If you want to get more viewpoints on the religion bit, you might try the forums at scouter.com. The people there can be quite outspoken, but they have a wealth of knowledge and experience. It is good to be aware of BSA policies in general, in case your Council changes or in case you move and are in another Council.

The second thing I would suggest, from my ds's own experience, is to do some of the CS requirements more thoroughly than asked for, if your ds is interested in a subject. For example, when my ds was a Webelos scout, he did Engineering pin -- one requirement was: 'Make drawings of three kinds of bridges and explain their differences. Construct a model bridge of your choice."

My ds built every brig (lots!) in a K'nex Education kit. He made drawings of dozens of different types of bridges and learned about bridge history. We (I helped, as he was not allowed to use google images at the time) googled bridges in our area and ds put together a local bridge scrapbook. We saw a NOVA video about a bridge being built over the Mississippi. It was much more than required and ds loved every minute of it

Another thing you can do is choose the harder requirement when there is a choice. One of the 'character connections' recommends this.

http://www.scouting....evelopment.aspx

Your question about going through requirements quickly is one that often comes up on scouter.com. One excellent bit of advice is that the boy who is advanced should not race ahead of the den, but bring the den along with him. My ds did this as a Bear. He brought in his work for the Tall Tales requirement - charts, maps, a library of books. His den leader asked him to help the other do this requirement. (At the time, my ds was too shy to do much talking, so DL did most that, but ds was proud AND the rest of the den finished the requirement.)

You could add in some of the CS Fun for the Family activities -- there is a whole series of awards for this.

http://www.scouting....gram/index.aspx

http://www.scoutstuf... for the family

Edited by Moderator
Removed quote from offensive deleted post
  • Like 2

Looking for a fabulous Eagle gift? A friend who helps me with EBoR just gave me an 1st edition of James E. West's and Green Bar Bill's Scout Field Book. They aren't as expensive as I would have thought on Amazon. I took my new treasure to meeting last night and the Scouts AND the Scouters were fascinated.

• Like 2

I wanted to add to my long post above. I mentioned doing work above and beyond a requirement, is scout is interested. I should have included that no one, not SM, DL, or parents, can require extra work. That would be contrary to advancement policies.

Some one mentioned that some of the belt loop requirements were pretty easy -- like getting a library card. The Cub Scout program is pretty well designed, imo, to serve boys from many different family backgrounds. Getting a library card may be challenging for many boys. At least in my area, a kid can't just go in and sign up for a card, but parents need to be there too and provide proof of residence. Not all boys have the luxury of parents who are able or willing to do this. On the other hand, if a belt loop is super easy for a kid, he can always go on and do the academic/sports pin, if he wishes; they are much more challenging, while still being age appropriate.

Looking for a fabulous Eagle gift? A friend who helps me with EBoR just gave me an 1st edition of James E. West's and Green Bar Bill's Scout Field Book. They aren't as expensive as I would have thought on Amazon. I took my new treasure to meeting last night and the Scouts AND the Scouters were fascinated.

At some point -- when/if I have time -- I would like to collect some of the old BS books. I did this last year with GS books, as part of 100th anniversary activities for our little group. The old GS badges are 1,000,000 more interesting than the new ones, in my not so humble opinion. Our troop had a great time doing (trying to do) parts of the sewing badge. For GS, I found a great blog on old GS handbooks.

http://danialexis.net/2011/05/28/collecting-girl-scout-handbooks-1/

http://danialexis.net/2011/07/11/collecting-girl-scout-handbooks-2/

Is there anything similar for BS materials?

MM, since your DD is different than her AHG peers by schooling how has scouting (does AHG call it, "scouting?") worked for her?

Our current troop is quite large (70 girls). In that setting? Some are homeschooled, some are in public school, some are in private school. Some girls are advanced, some girls are behind, some girls are on the spectrum and may be a bit different. It is my experience that it all shakes out. They find girls that they mesh with.

• Like 1

At some point -- when/if I have time -- I would like to collect some of the old BS books. I did this last year with GS books, as part of 100th anniversary activities for our little group. The old GS badges are 1,000,000 more interesting than the new ones, in my not so humble opinion. Our troop had a great time doing (trying to do) parts of the sewing badge. For GS, I found a great blog on old GS handbooks.

http://danialexis.ne...ut-handbooks-1/

http://danialexis.ne...ut-handbooks-2/

There is a WEALTH of info on BSA books. Here's some on the Field Book:

http://www.troop97.net/bsfb1.htm

For the 100th anniversary three years ago, BSA brought back 4 historical badges. They DID change the name of one from Stalking to Tracking and dropped the stalking of a person requirement... :lol:

Does anyone know if a Boy Scout can do 2 BofR at once, or is there a required wait time between them? Younger ds is finished both 2nd and 1st Class requirements and now needs his SM conferences and BofR. He'd be thrilled to get the both knocked out at once!

There is a WEALTH of info on BSA books. Here's some on the Field Book:

http://www.troop97.net/bsfb1.htm

For the 100th anniversary three years ago, BSA brought back 4 historical badges. They DID change the name of one from Stalking to Tracking and dropped the stalking of a person requirement... :lol:

My son missed the historical badges by one year -- he was so disappointed.

I had no idea about the stalking -- OMG!!!!!

It IS allowed to have 2 BoR in one evening, but some troops may not want to. The boy would probably benefit from two, but I think most Scouters would understand his excitement and hurry! He should speak to his Advancement Chair. Perhaps he could do one and then the other a week later. http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/guidetoadvancement/boardsofreview.aspx

The historical badges are particularly cool, as instead of kiwi green for electives and silver for requireds, they have a shiny mylar gold border. They DO look very nifty!

Does anyone know if a Boy Scout can do 2 BofR at once, or is there a required wait time between them? Younger ds is finished both 2nd and 1st Class requirements and now needs his SM conferences and BofR. He'd be thrilled to get the both knocked out at once!

This is one of those topics that gets older scouters in a tizzy. Technically, no. In reality, it happens on a regular basis.

It can only occur though with 2nd and 1st class. If the troop holds scheduled BORs, like every three months, then holding doing two BORs at once is acceptable, IMO. But that is only if questions are asked about the requirements for both ranks. I don't like generic, one size fits all BORs.

If the troop allows boys to request BORs and then grants the BORs immediately, then I prefer the boy have a week or two in between.

Scouting isn't a race to see who can finish the quickest, it's about the journey.

Whatever your troop allows your DS to do I wish him congratulations on his enthusiasm and for earning those ranks. I can't wait to hear about his future activities.

Oldest son is waiting until JUNE to find out about OA... I'm dying here... LOL I really wanna cheat and hack into some database somewhere and find out. Is that possible? :lol: LOL

He also just informed me that his newest goal is to finish his Eagle by March of next year. He's decided he wants to join Venture after eagle. And now he wants to also start visiting those in the area... eeek! :coolgleamA: Don't know much about venture, to be honest. Just kinda had Boy scouting figured out! LOL

FYI - your DS can dual enroll as a Boy Scout and a Venturer. My DS is currently dually enrolled and loves it. His Crew is all about high adventure so he gets to do fun things with older teens/young adults and then he gets to go to scouts and help with leadership of a very young troop. It has worked out quite well.

Also, once a boy has earned first class and is 14 he can become a Venturer and earn ALL Boy Scout ranks and awards without belonging to a troop.

Maybe we can bribe your SM with a some cupcakes or something so he will tell you about the election results.

Since I am the OP and I enjoy reading this thread I am going to ask that everybody please stop the bickering. I love scouting of all kinds and I believe that scouting benefits our children and our families. I want to hear about the progress, advancement and achievement of these hard working young people and celebrate along with you.

Since BSA National has already voted on and passed the new requirements that ALL levels of scouting (Cubs, Boys, and Venturers) will learn and uphold the Scout Oath and Scout Law, let's begin now, shall we. Let's be the example for our scouts.

• Like 4

btw, he couldn't get the mb, but I think some of the historical requirements would make for some cool outings!

Good idea! Ds saw some of the activities -- like signaling -- at out Council's 2010 Camporee, but he was a Webelos at the time.

The hardest part for ds was finding someone to teach him semaphore! He contacted Navy girl, but she had a HUGE calc test that week and decided to skip learning it, hoping she'd not be tested on it--she wasn't. She hasn't found much of a use as a helo driver. We contacted a friend of hers, hoping he'd learned it as enlisted, but he was subs, and well, they didn't use it much... :lol: For the Morse code, ds and a friend set up sets at opposite ends of the house and tapped away. It was great fun!

If your ds likes outdoor activities, may I suggest Geocaching?. Our college Eagles helped with that and man, the boys had fun! I was looking at one of ds's caches last night and someone found it again in March.

YiS,

http://danialexis.ne...ut-handbooks-1/

http://danialexis.ne...ut-handbooks-2/

The old GS materials are way way better than the ones now :)

I was blessed to find a 1933 GS handbook at a local thrift shop for .75 - dd wants to do the patches out of it when she is old enough.

A Scout hurrah--the boys from Mic-o-say were awarded an "Honor" ribbon on their Pre-Ordeal Ceremony evaluation today--the highest that's given. It's Sectional Conclave for the whole state of CO and we're hosting. Let's just say, it's been a long few days. The boys had a blast and dh just texted that our guy got Section Chief! He's run once before but was beat out by the Denver lodge guys--they always bring a whole pile of boys. However, they had two that ran also, and I think they may have split their vote. I'm SO pleased for this young man. Scouts has absolutely been the making of him. Ds decided against running as he didn't want to run against his friend.

• Like 3

Margaret-- tell your son CONGRATS! That is awesome!

Both boys passed BOR's today-- so now we have a Life Scout and a 2nd Class Scout. :D They're off selling camp cards right now... trying to pay for summer/winter camps. :D

WOOHOO!

• Like 4

Margaret-- tell your son CONGRATS! That is awesome!

Both boys passed BOR's today-- so now we have a Life Scout and a 2nd Class Scout. :D They're off selling camp cards right now... trying to pay for summer/winter camps. :D

WOOHOO!

Cool! Congrats! Does the Life Scout have an Eagle project in mind?

He has ideas, but wants to wait a while to commit. He does want to do something meaningful. Right now he's leaning towards something for soldiers.

His SM is pressuring him to run for SPL-- which he is kinda burned out on leadership right now. As a matter of fact, that actually came up at his BOR -- he even said he has NO interest in ANY kind of "leadership" in the troop today to the BOR (great impression, uugh! LOL) -- Problem is, he's a GREAT leader, and the adults AND kids know it-- he always has a problem with kids actually in leadership running off and forcing him to take on a leadership role when he is on campouts/events... and the adults sometimes tend to do the same. So he does the work of the leadership when he isn't supposed to... it's burned him out.

Does that make sense? That's a very simplified version of what is going on...

I think he needs a few months break from leadership... if that is possible.

Anyway, he has a GREAT organization he is hoping to do his eagle project with, but he wants to wait a bit before starting it. He still has to finish camping MB too... As long as he is staying active and going to camp outs I'm going to let him go at his own pace...

He wants to join venture crew next year, and I did ask him to finish his eagle before going to crew.. so hopefully it will be done by then! LOL

It's fun to read about Eagles and Eagle projects. I've been telling my ds12 about them so he get ideas of what other boys are doing. He's working on three badges and only needs his BoR for First and Second classes. He's planning for Sciut Camp fundraising too. It's amazing how busy he is.

My 10yo Webelo just received 4 activity pins and 2 belt loops & pins the other night at his Pack Meeting. He was so proud of himself. He got to help change the oil in his leader's car the other day and gave me a step-by-step replay of it afterward. He loved it.

• Like 2

Oh, make sure your now-Webelos, soon to be Boy Scout, takes Automotive Maintenance--he's going to love it when he's old enough. And don't forget Farm Mechanics--it's often overlooked.

Anyone else having a rough time fundraising this year? Seems like this year camp-card sales are much harder than last few years...

(we're exhausted trying to sell!)

Yes, I said WE-- because when the kids need to sell, it's ME that has to go along. :D

My 10yo Webelo just received 4 activity pins and 2 belt loops & pins the other night at his Pack Meeting. He was so proud of himself. He got to help change the oil in his leader's car the other day and gave me a step-by-step replay of it afterward. He loved it.

Which ones did he get, Felicity??