Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

The Accidental Coach

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

Recommended Posts

DS18, dh, and I just got home from ds’ Eagle BoR. He passed! Thank goodness. We are super proud of him and his Scouting journey and deeply relieved that he passed. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, felicity said:

DS18, dh, and I just got home from ds’ Eagle BoR. He passed! Thank goodness. We are super proud of him and his Scouting journey and deeply relieved that he passed. 

Congrats to him! And you!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had OA Winter Banquet today, and an Eagle Board, AND I got my Wood Badge beads! I spent almost all day in the kitchen cooking, setting up, and washing dishes. We probably had the most fun of anyone there, laughing our heads off. No, didn't go swimming, or bowling, or to the museum, or make lanyards, but we sure had fun. It's sure nice to be with adults that GET Scouting. 

Edited by Margaret in CO
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son has just officially become a youth Scouter!  (There are various courses and training, as well as hoops to jump through, to become a scouter, and a youth scouter must do all of them the same as an adult scouter.)  I am very proud.  He works with the Beavers (ages 5-7).  He now counts as an adult for the child:adult ratio instead of a child, as well as has the privaleges and responsibilies of an adult scouter.

 

 

20190110_202535.jpg

Edited by scoutingmom
Added picture
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Dd (AHG Pioneer) is working on the Citzenship and Gov't. badge. Last requirement for her Harriet Tubman level award except her actual BoR in April. 

Turned in 18 more service hrs for her tonight, so she only needs a few more to earn the Presidential Gold thus year. 

Ds (CS Web2) is working on Adventures in Science elective. Planning to build and launch a rocket Saturday. He's also working his Pinewood Derby car. He and Dh need to go to Hobby Lobby for paint and possibly a weight. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had to skip the pinewood derby which was today.  There was realistically no chance to work on the cars, plus the kids just didn't want to go.  We are still recovering from jetlag after arriving home from our travels on Tuesday morning.

My youngest has lots of service hours and more than enough badges for the level award, but it's getting scary thinking about her "event" that she has to put on.  She wants to do something purely fun, but I believe they will want it to be a service project.  Her progress on it so far is zero.

My eldest is working on the flag and citizenship badges.  I could push her to finish others, but I am not even half-hearted about it at this point.  Honestly I don't feel like anyone else at the PiPa level is either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SKL said:

My youngest has lots of service hours and more than enough badges for the level award, but it's getting scary thinking about her "event" that she has to put on.  She wants to do something purely fun, but I believe they will want it to be a service project.  Her progress on it so far is zero.

My eldest is working on the flag and citizenship badges.  I could push her to finish others, but I am not even half-hearted about it at this point.  Honestly I don't feel like anyone else at the PiPa level is either.

SKL, your Explorer should just have to assist a PiPa with an event, not plan a whole one by herself! The requirement is only 2 hours. Our Explorers choose which things they want to do when the older girls schedule out their events with the leadership team. Each of our PiPas has a couple of Explorers helping. Your troop leadership should understand this and be proactive in making it happen. 

Makes me sad that your PiPas are not excited! Our group is not large, but they do have lots of fun together and enjoy their activities. So much freedom and potential at the middle and high school level! I love seeing them set their own direction! Our PiPa girls don't love the Heritage badges, so they are having a sleepover to work intensely on one and get it done so they can focus on hiking and camping in the spring! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScoutTN said:

SKL, your Explorer should just have to assist a PiPa with an event, not plan a whole one by herself! The requirement is only 2 hours. Our Explorers choose which things they want to do when the older girls schedule out their events with the leadership team. Each of our PiPas has a couple of Explorers helping. Your troop leadership should understand this and be proactive in making it happen. 

Makes me sad that your PiPas are not excited! Our group is not large, but they do have lots of fun together and enjoy their activities. So much freedom and potential at the middle and high school level! I love seeing them set their own direction! Our PiPa girls don't love the Heritage badges, so they are having a sleepover to work intensely on one and get it done so they can focus on hiking and camping in the spring!

The troop has had a couple opportunities for the Explorers to "help" with an event, but we did not make it to those events.  We were late to one (my fault), we travel over "family night," and we don't come to the father-daughter stuff (no dad).

I think I should just talk my kid into doing similar to what her sister did last year - piggyback on a bigger community service event if possible.

Or maybe there is some way to get my older kid to run an event as a PiPa and have the younger help as an Explorer ... not sure if that is a realistic option rules-wise.  It would be good to fulfill some longer-term PiPa requirements in case the girls decide to continue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

SKL, your Explorer should just have to assist a PiPa with an event, not plan a whole one by herself! The requirement is only 2 hours. Our Explorers choose which things they want to do when the older girls schedule out their events with the leadership team. Each of our PiPas has a couple of Explorers helping. Your troop leadership should understand this and be proactive in making it happen. 

Makes me sad that your PiPas are not excited! Our group is not large, but they do have lots of fun together and enjoy their activities. So much freedom and potential at the middle and high school level! I love seeing them set their own direction! Our PiPa girls don't love the Heritage badges, so they are having a sleepover to work intensely on one and get it done so they can focus on hiking and camping in the spring! 

 

 

 

This is much different than what our troop does. Our Explorers run their own events (with the help of the adults)

Last year, they ran the OCC project, the HAlloween trick or treat for special needs kids, the Christmas day parade and a spa day for the Tenderhearts.  (And a trash pickup day at the ball fields)

 

This year, so far they have run the Halloween trick or treat and the Christmas day parade.  We have two Pi/Pas doing the daddy-daughter dance together (I only know this because ther e was a discussion as to whether there was enough work for two to share it. They want to work together)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

 

This is much different than what our troop does. Our Explorers run their own events (with the help of the adults)

Last year, they ran the OCC project, the HAlloween trick or treat for special needs kids, the Christmas day parade and a spa day for the Tenderhearts.  (And a trash pickup day at the ball fields)

This year, so far they have run the Halloween trick or treat and the Christmas day parade.  We have two Pi/Pas doing the daddy-daughter dance together (I only know this because ther e was a discussion as to whether there was enough work for two to share it. They want to work together)

 

That is super!! But not actually required for the level award. They will be ahead of the game when they get to the older levels. Many 6th graders would not be ready to plan and lead an event by themselves, even with some adult scaffolding. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our troop went dog sledding today! We really do live in Scout paradise. I'll post this photo as you can't see the Scouts' faces. Each Scout got to ride and pilot the sleds. They learned to harness the dogs, and learned about the different breeds. They also watered all the dogs. They are excited to go back, and have been invited. 

DSC_0730.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We finally made it to a meeting - the first one since November.  We have two 12yo Pioneers who are usually there (my kid and the main leader's kid), and beyond that we occasionally get one or rarely two Patriots.  The Patriots have already finished what the Pioneers are currently working on, and as for our Pioneers, it's like pulling teeth to get either of them to take initiative.  So meetings are awkward.  What should we do to help make them relevant to all the PiPas?

Half of me wants to force my kid to use an upcoming snow day to buckle down and get a pile of badge work done.  The other half says, "that would be overstepping at this level.  Not allowed."  Which half is right?

I think the main unit leader feels about the same way I feel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is somewhere out in the snowy mountains spending the night working on his Wilderness Survival Merit Badge, and having the TIME of his life, for sure! 

Margaret, that is SO COOL! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two Girl Scouts, a Brownie and a Junior.  Their troops have been working on Thinking Day things.  Today, DD10's troop worked on sewing some Girl Guide sashes to represent the country they are studying.  They also made some plans for the summer camping experiences, as well as 2 other council wide scout day things in the spring.  DD8's troop spend last meeting learning some French words, since their Thinking Day country is France.  Tomorrow DD8 and I will be researching interesting French facts for their display.  

Both girls are also selling cookies of course.  We did some door to door sales earlier this month and the whole process of approaching other people's homes, introducing themselves, asking for the sale, it was actually interesting to watch that learning process.  I know people hate the fundraising parts, and poo poo the learning aspects of that, but I could see it in my kids.  DD10 gained quite a bit of confidence JUST in being able to walk up and talk to people she doesn't immediately know, and DD8, who has an ASD diagnosis worked hard at powering through her communication issues.  

 

And I collected cookie forms, as I am the cookie mom for DD10's troop.  Yes, one parent didn't show.  Another plans to text me her info.   So I am still waiting to be able to place our initial order.  Yay!   THat's why I set the turn in date a few days ahead.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Our troop went dog sledding today! We really do live in Scout paradise. I'll post this photo as you can't see the Scouts' faces. Each Scout got to ride and pilot the sleds. They learned to harness the dogs, and learned about the different breeds. They also watered all the dogs. They are excited to go back, and have been invited. 

DSC_0730.JPG

This is so cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

This is so cool!

Our Scouts get to do SO much cool stuff--we have fishing, skiing, rafting, wilderness areas, and the largest lake in CO just out the back door! The next dog trip will be about 15 miles. 

Edited by Margaret in CO
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DD17 finished her Sunmit Award for Venture Scouts!  

I hope these pictures come out ok. One is her “official” photo for the district recognition banquet. The other is from inside her Quinzie - she and DH were winter camping with his scout troop last weekend. 

FBEF4BF1-061B-4446-9BE7-34776A6726A8.jpeg

F807E198-D961-4C4A-8A3F-2673F5193F82.jpegNext up - court of honor for Summit and working in her Ranger award. And being on stafff at the World Janboree this summer. Busy Girl!

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son 2nd class Boy Scout earned his welding merit badge yesterday at a district class. I love the variety of merit badge classes available. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hshibley said:

My son 2nd class Boy Scout earned his welding merit badge yesterday at a district class. I love the variety of merit badge classes available. 

Ooh, that's a good one. My dd counsels it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 16yo was hired for summer camp today.  This will be his 3rd year working there.  On the 12th he has his Eagle BOR.  My youngest will bridge over at the end of the month.  He is so ready to be a Scout.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ds and Dh put the final coat of paint on the pinewood derby car today. Monday night is race night!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Scouters,

I have 2 pairs of women's XL trousers--one is BS green and one is Venturing gray. If anyone can use them, please let me know. If you'd pay postage, that would be great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 12:38 PM, Margaret in CO said:

Scout Sunday is today! Or next Sunday, at many places. 

 

DS12 was an acolyte in uniform instead of the more typical robe... and as it turned out DS10 also got to acolyte as a Cub since they couldn't round up a GS.

This was slightly ironic since our kids aren't in our church's troop but another same denomination church for historical reasons... but the director of acolytes is our church's Scout Master.

 

Edited by raptor_dad
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 11:48 AM, Margaret in CO said:

Hey Scouters,

I have 2 pairs of women's XL trousers--one is BS green and one is Venturing gray. If anyone can use them, please let me know. If you'd pay postage, that would be great. 

Bumping!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pinewood derby today! My kids went for form over function, lol. DS, a lion, designed a monster truck car, and DD, a Bear, did a unicorn, named the rainbow racer. the kids did the designing, dad did the cutting, kids did the sanding and dad helped them spray paint the base coat. DS only added a single sticker to the base coat, but DD went more...colorful, lol. Neither were fast (although Rainbow Racer won one heat and it was HYSTERICAL) but the kids are pleased. 

Oh, and DS won first for his den...because no one else showed up from his den, lol. Somehow he missed that he was the only lion and we didn't tell him so he's super proud, lol.  He's had a hard few months, and 80 percent of success is showing up, right? 

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took my Girl Scout troop of daisies and brownies family camping this weekend. They had a great time. They earned their outdoor art badges and most earned their camping badge. More importantly my coleader enjoyed her first tent camping trip. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we need to come up with my younger daughter's volunteer event for her level award, ASAP.  Youngest is also probably going to get the presidential service award.  That's about all we can hope for prior to cross-over.

Youngest really isn't motivated to finish any new badges (she has about 10 of them partially done), and I really don't care, as she has more than enough for the level award.  I think it stinks that they wouldn't let her level up last year (she is a 7th grade Explorer), so IMO anything extra she does this year is completely up to her.

As for eldest, we are still not getting much done.  We have completed parts of some badges.  We might finish a couple with the troop this year, and I'm still not totally giving up on finishing some at home, but I don't think it's realistic before crossover.  And after crossover, I'm not sure if we can make it to any meetings.

I have a question - I will ask it in another post so people who don't read down will see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question - are there options for AHG pioneers (and patriots) to officially participate / progress without regular attendance at troop meetings?

I still like the program, but getting to meetings and working on their bi-weekly schedule is increasingly hard for us.  Also, I just can't volunteer any more after this year.  I think we have a chance to get badge work done if we could just do it at home at our own pace.  Maybe we could attend / help with some of the events / service projects.  But not to the extent we have in the past.

Or maybe we just need to focus on other goals outside of scouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SKL said:

Question - are there options for AHG pioneers (and patriots) to officially participate / progress without regular attendance at troop meetings?

I still like the program, but getting to meetings and working on their bi-weekly schedule is increasingly hard for us.  Also, I just can't volunteer any more after this year.  I think we have a chance to get badge work done if we could just do it at home at our own pace.  Maybe we could attend / help with some of the events / service projects.  But not to the extent we have in the past.

Or maybe we just need to focus on other goals outside of scouts.

https://americanheritagegirls.org/trailblazer-program/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

Looks like this won't apply to us since we have a couple troops that are a half hour or so away (including the troop we are in).

I should ask our troop leader what other options may apply, but I think I should probably wait until after cross-over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for folks who don't know, Scout BSA calls it Lone Scouts, and GSUSA call them Juliettes. We have a young lady who wants to join Scouts BSA but will have to be a LS as there are no girl troops for 200 miles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 16 yo finally earned his Eagle. That kid sat at Life foe 2.5 years!  His first BOR was canceled due to weather but last night he finally had his BOR!  He will be working at Scout Camp again this summer.  This is his 3rd full summer + the summer he was CIT  for a week.

 Friday my youngest crosses over to Boy Scouts.  Time to start all over!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 6:31 PM, SKL said:

Well we need to come up with my younger daughter's volunteer event for her level award, ASAP.  Youngest is also probably going to get the presidential service award.  That's about all we can hope for prior to cross-over.

Youngest really isn't motivated to finish any new badges (she has about 10 of them partially done), and I really don't care, as she has more than enough for the level award.  I think it stinks that they wouldn't let her level up last year (she is a 7th grade Explorer), so IMO anything extra she does this year is completely up to her.

As for eldest, we are still not getting much done.  We have completed parts of some badges.  We might finish a couple with the troop this year, and I'm still not totally giving up on finishing some at home, but I don't think it's realistic before crossover.  And after crossover, I'm not sure if we can make it to any meetings.

I have a question - I will ask it in another post so people who don't read down will see it.

 

Re: 7th Grade Explorer.  Is it because of her birthday?

AHG runs on birthdays, NOT on grade in school. That applies across the board to all types of schooled kids.

(My daughter is a 2nd grade Tenderheart 2 with some homeschooled kids who are 3rd grade but 2nd year Tenderhearts due to the age issue. There was some grumbling at first. But they are my daughter's friends so selfishly I'm glad they aren't merging up to Explorers next year.

 

AHG is supposed to be fun. If she doesn't want to finish the badges and is okay not finishing them, I wouldn't push it.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DS10 earned Arrow of Light and crossed over to Scouts BSA tonight. He is so thrilled. He has a September birthday and crossed over as a PS 4th grader using the 6mos since turning ten AoL option, but he is so ready. He has 6 camp outs this year; 3 with the Cubs, 3 with the Scouts(2 without a parent). He is so ready.. He'll have 2 troop camp outs before summer camp and should do great.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had our CoH tonight. I've stepped down as CC, and dh, as SM! He remains ASM, District Commish, and Crew Advisor, and I remain District Adv, and Crew CC.

 We had lots of awards and mbs, were able to announce our newest Eagle (last Saturday), and 2 of the Crew Awards. And the mayor even came!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My PokeMan has started his Eagle Project.  When we moved here, he was a Webelo -- when we return, he'll be an Eagle!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Web 2 got his Arrow of light last night. Nice ceremony, though Dh's words to ds had a stern tone rather than an encouraging one. I was not at all happy with that! I think it reflects dh's attitude towards and frustration with ds.  

Crossover is in  April. He is so ready to go! Looking forward to summer camp!
A father-son campout and the ship trip to Charleston are his other two big things left in CS. 

 

My AHG Pioneer did a 10 mile hike last Saturday. She will be pulling together all her level award paperwork tonight. BoR in April. Fun to look back at all she has done the last couple of years! She is looking forward to Camporee, summer camp, and free time in the summer to just hang out with AHG friends. She will complete several required badges this summer, plus cooking and swimming. 

 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our troop's Coordinator and Vice-Coordinator are stepping down at the end of the year.

I've stepped up to be Vice-Coordinator... So any suggestions/ideas you have would be helpful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Our troop's Coordinator and Vice-Coordinator are stepping down at the end of the year.

I've stepped up to be Vice-Coordinator... So any suggestions/ideas you have would be helpful.

My post went poof! Write down everything you do. Packing list for Court of Honor? Save it. List of how many sodas sell at rodeo depending on temp? Save it. And ask your out-going folks to do the same. You may not do the same stuff, but a starting point is a wonderful gift. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...