Menu

What's with the ads?

The Accidental Coach

What are your Scouts working on? (Boys & Girls)

ScoutermominIL, I always enjoy your updates. Sorry about the pack, sounds like the right decision.

My ds just passed board of review for Star. So much schoolwork that Cit in Nation badge is stalled, but he will be studying Amer Gov in school, plus we visited Washington and scout appropriate sights, lol.

Dd's troop is working on the cadette amaze journey.

• Like 2

Great news!!!  DS earned the Hornaday Badge.  The Council heard from National last week.  The Outdoor Committee wants to present it to DS at the Banquet in February.  My task will be to try to keep the secret until then.

• Like 3

DS was awarded his 2nd class last night. He and another boy have been together since tigers. They have a nice little motivation going. Neither wants the other to get ahead. So as soon as one boy figures out the other is close to earning rank the other boy is determined to finish so they aren't behind. It's great. They both should be almost done with first class as well. The hard part is my son has to do the outdoor cooking. Hard to do in the winter time, but he already has 2 EAgle MB and two others and is almost done with cooking MB so it should all equal out in the end. ;-)

Today they are out dropping off flyers for the Christmas tree pick up.

• Like 3

New to scouting....my son (BSA 12 years old) is working on his Coin Badge, still have to get with a counselor to show all of his work. It's really hard in his troop to get with counselor not sure why. But we hope to get with someone in Jan. He is also working on his Tenderfoot. He really needs to do a camping trip. He missed all the fall ones but hope to get some in the Winter/Spring months so he can move into the classes. He loves to the meetings for social time with other boys but hasn't gotten into doing the work for the badges or classes...we are giving it 6 more months and DH is going to go on a camping trip or two. 

My daughter is in AHG (11 years old) Explorer. She earned 3 badges this fall and her 10 hour service star. Currently, working towards her level award since this is her only and last year in Explorers. She is working on the Theater/Drama badge, Pet Care Badge, and Cycling. She enjoys the meetings too but doesn't really like the work required at home for the badges. I am a leader for the older girls unit so we are committed until May. I am working with her on the badges to get her level and I am thinking of having her complete a handful more like cooking, cake decorating (since we are having a lock-in and 80% of the badge will be completed then). 

Do you find you have to require or make time for them to work on the badges? I feel like I do. Would you just allow them to keep in their troops just for social/fun reasons?

Well, one of the methods of Boy Scouting is advancement. That means working on both requirements for rank and mbs. The cooler Scout things (such as Philmont) require the boy to be First Class. Most PoRs should be FC class too. Mbs aren't to be worked on in meetings as a general rule, as you'll have boys that aren't interested in a particular mb or already have it. It is one of the strengths of the program that the BOY needs to pick up the phone, call the mb counselor and set up a meeting. We always just had requirements as a daily thing (and ds earned all the mbs). He'd call the counselor, get a signed blue card, and get started. I'd drive him to meet up with the counselor and hang around as the 2nd person if he couldn't find a friend who was interested. Some days he'd do something simple, such as cataloging the CD collection for Music, and some days he'd be out tacking a horse and working on 20 m circles, or raising lambs, or mapping erosion, or learning to water ski--just depended on the time of year and his time frame. If he had to write a report for one of the Citz badges for instance, he might write about the CIty Council meeting instead of another writing assignment for schoolwork. I often said that I wish there was a Home Repair II badge--gosh, he got lots done with that! I might mention to dh that ds was needing someone to visit with about such-and-such...did he know anyone at work? If he came up with a prospect, ds would call the guy, and dh and ds might be off in a day or two to meet with a landscape planner or architect. Ds was exposed to a HUGE number of amazing people, and ended up being the communications liaison for the county from a particular mb. Right after camping, the mb program is the best part of Scouting!

• Like 2

New to scouting....my son (BSA 12 years old) is working on his Coin Badge, still have to get with a counselor to show all of his work. It's really hard in his troop to get with counselor not sure why. But we hope to get with someone in Jan. He is also working on his Tenderfoot. He really needs to do a camping trip. He missed all the fall ones but hope to get some in the Winter/Spring months so he can move into the classes. He loves to the meetings for social time with other boys but hasn't gotten into doing the work for the badges or classes...we are giving it 6 more months and DH is going to go on a camping trip or two.

Do you find you have to require or make time for them to work on the badges? I feel like I do. Would you just allow them to keep in their troops just for social/fun reasons?

My son has earned all his MB's at day camps, MB weekends or summer camps. Sometimes he has to do a few prerequisites for some of them, but not much at home. Since Feb he has earned Aviation, first Aid, swimming, space Exploration and most of cooking. Next month Coin Collecting is being offered overed two days.

More camps events he goes to the easier it is to earn MB's. My son goes to every event he possibly can, usually one event a month, sometimes twice a month.

• Like 1

A thought on boy's being responsible for mbs earned outside camp, etc. This is from personal experience. The first time your scout makes a cold call to a mb counselor, you may want to be there to remind your ds what to say. My ds looked at me with a deer caught in the headlights expression when his call was answered. I reminded ds of his name and pointed to the paper where he had written his name and why he was calling. He needed a bit of prompting throughout that first conversation. Luckily, the counselor seemed to know right away that he was getting a scout call and not a crank call!

Kids nowadays are so used to email and texting that phone calls can be overwhelming. But it is a wonderful experience for them and actually does get easier with practice.

lol,  :lol:

• Like 2

Both boys just finished their Personal Fitness Merit Badges!

Oldest has ONE MORE TO GO (Camping) and it is finished in terms of having physically done all the camping requirements, he just needs to focus to write it all down and look at dates of his campouts.

Middle has TWO more to go (Camping and Cit. in World).   Citizenship he says he wants to do at Camp this summer…..that is fine.  He turned 14 in Dec. so he has plenty of time.

The above will meet all of their MB requirements for Eagle. 

Oldest is sitting for Life this month or next (our Scout Committee may not be able to do it this month.  We are waiting to find out.)  

Middle is sitting for Star. 

• Like 1

Too bad he couldn't finish cooking before Jan. 1.

I ended up hosting a Cooking MB fest at my home.  The boys came twice for about 3 hours each time and we went over all of it.  This was in October.

Dawn

My son has earned all his MB's at day camps, MB weekends or summer camps. Sometimes he has to do a few prerequisites for some of them, but not much at home. Since Feb he has earned Aviation, first Aid, swimming, space Exploration and most of cooking. Next month Coin Collecting is being offered overed two days.

More camps events he goes to the easier it is to earn MB's. My son goes to every event he possibly can, usually one event a month, sometimes twice a month.

Venturing dd finished up some requirements over the break. She spent one day teaching ski lessons and then organized an all day outing of sledding, skiing and half-the-night movies. She still has a lot of talks and displays to do. She's finishing up Communications, too.

• Like 1

Ours don't take calls, they take emails.

I much prefer it that way.

A thought on boy's being responsible for mbs earned outside camp, etc. This is from personal experience. The first time your scout makes a cold call to a mb counselor, you may want to be there to remind your ds what to say. My ds looked at me with a deer caught in the headlights expression when his call was answered. I reminded ds of his name and pointed to the paper where he had written his name and why he was calling. He needed a bit of prompting throughout that first conversation. Luckily, the counselor seemed to know right away that he was getting a scout call and not a crank call!

Kids nowadays are so used to email and texting that phone calls can be overwhelming. But it is a wonderful experience for them and actually does get easier with practice.

lol,  :lol:

Oldest is now Troop Guide.  

Both boys sitting for BofR next Monday night.

Oldest for Life

Middle for Star

• Like 1

My 16 year old son just made Eagle Scout a week ago! We are rejoicing in this, and are so proud of this achievement! He had to overcome so much to get where he is today. He has epilepsy and his seizures were so bad (grand mal) and frequent the last few years that he wasn't able to leave the house very often. Thankfully he was homeschooled. We searched everywhere for help for 10 years (we were told he would outgrow it while he continued to have more and more seizures) and went everywhere, and finally found Texas Children's Hospital in January 2012, where they diagnosed a brain tumor. They took it out on March 1, 2012. It was benign, praise the Lord! He has been seizure free since that time, and last fall was finally well enough to complete all his Eagle Scout requirements, which were put on hold for several years due to the violent seizures. We could cry with happiness that my son was able to achieve this. We love Scouting. My son is our second Eagle Scout. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

What a a lovely outcome!

Too bad he couldn't finish cooking before Jan. 1.

I ended up hosting a Cooking MB fest at my home. The boys came twice for about 3 hours each time and we went over all of it. This was in October.

Dawn

Why? For 2014 they can use either set of requirements.

(Asking because mine is in the middle of cooking and I want to be sure there is something we didn't miss.)

They can?  I thought the requirements changed January 1st, 2014.

But in looking at the requirements, they haven't actually changed that much.

Dawn

Why? For 2014 they can use either set of requirements.

(Asking because mine is in the middle of cooking and I want to be sure there is something we didn't miss.)

They can?  I thought the requirements changed January 1st, 2014.

But in looking at the requirements, they haven't actually changed that much.

Dawn

This year they can use either the old or new requirements.  The only thing that really changed this year is that it is a required MB. 

• Like 1

My Ms8 is working on her Junior BP Award which involves mini projects in different areas which have to be done and then presented to the group. She has completed "investigating houses of worship" (we went to different churches and learned what was the same and different) and right now she has nearly finished a presentation on Queen Elizabeth II's association with Guiding/Scouting (did you know that her wedding cake was provided by the Australian Girl Guides?). Next up she is doing a high ropes course for her physical challenge activity or whatever it's called. 

Ms5 is working on a badge for little'uns (the name of it escapes me) and it's a bit tricky to pick activities because lots of them are things she has already done (make a simple meal) or does all the time (drink water instead of junk drinks for a week). Had to explain that you are meant to grow and challenge yourself, not just tick the boxes to get the badge.

• Like 1

I have a question that I can't find the answer to. My son wants to do the Pottery Boy Scout Badge, so I tried to find a MB counselor. There isn't one in our area. What do we do in that case? I haven't been able to get a real answer. Thanks.

My son (BSA) just earned his Star Rank. He's working on Pets, Citizenship in the Community, and Personal Fitness.

My daughter (AHG) has her court of honor at the end of the month and has earned 4 service stars (5 hrs of service per star), Living in the USA, Creative Crafts, Stick Shifts and Safety Belts, Nature and Wildlife, and Travel. She is currently trying to finish out Citizenship and Government before we start on Outdoor Skills next month.

• Like 1

Out AHG troop just started the Daughter of the King badge that looks really fun :)

We have our mid- year award Cermony next week and dd will get her World Heritage Badge, Horsemanship Badge, and Fishing.

We plan to work independently on the 7 C's of Creation Badge, Our Frathered Friends, and Gardening badge as we are already going to do most of the work based on what we're doing for school this semester.

• Like 1

Tonight is the big night!  My boys will be sitting for Life and Star.  

If you recall, my Star son didn't pass last time around.  He was so nervous and I was a little irritated to be honest, they asked him several questions they have NEVER asked other boys.  Details about Baden-Powell, details about the patches/emblems.  

We have waited 6 months to really have it all engrained in his mind so that he doesn't get so nervous this time around.  

But say a prayer for him tonight if you think of him!

Thanks

Dawn

• Like 1

They passed!  

I now have a Life Scout and a Star Scout.  

Life Scout needs to get his Camping MB signed off and then he is DONE with merit badges.

Star Scout needs Camping MB and Citizenship in the World to be DONE.

• Like 5

I have a question that I can't find the answer to. My son wants to do the Pottery Boy Scout Badge, so I tried to find a MB counselor. There isn't one in our area. What do we do in that case? I haven't been able to get a real answer. Thanks.

Go find someone who will be willing to register as a Merit Badge Counselor.  That is what we have had to do.  I have found that community college instructors are more willing to do this for strangers, especially if they are given the option of working with a particular unit or scout.

• Like 2

They passed!  

I now have a Life Scout and a Star Scout.  

Life Scout needs to get his Camping MB signed off and then he is DONE with merit badges.

Star Scout needs Camping MB and Citizenship in the World to be DONE.

Congratulations to both of them.  Woohoo!  Way to go!!  Keep plugging along boys!

Never say done.  Encourage them to continue working on merit badges that interest them.  Merit badges become more fun without the pressure of being required or  the need to be part of the 21 merit badges required for Eagle.

Update here:  DS and I completed the Winter Adventure at Philmont.  We had a wonderful time, even if there wasn't very much snow.

DS's troop participated in the annual District Klondike Derby this weekend.  We have had subzero temps and excruciatingly cold wind chills and some of the boys dropped out.    Our troop was represented this year by DS and 4 very young, somewhat inexperienced scouts.  DS (as the lone Eagle scout and the SPL) spent the last two weeks teaching them how to dress and how to stay warm at night.  His goal was to keep them energized, safe in the cold temps and having a good time so they will continue camping. The thought of placing wasn't on anybody's mind.  It was all about getting experience and practicing winter skills.

After a night of camping in ice and snow, the boys woke up sluggish and lacking a bit in enthusiasm.  DS gave them a pep talk (and Hershey Bars and Mountain Dew; his idea of motivation) and they loaded their sled and went for it.  The SM and ASM were running a station so once the boys headed off to the competition I went hiking.  The boys had decided they did not want an adult to accompany them; they wanted to do this on their own.

From what the adults running the stations tell me, this group of boys put their heart and soul into every task.  Each one found something that allowed him to show a skill and help the group.  When I finally found them after the competition they were excited about their teamwork (their word choice) and were happy with how they did as a group.  No fighting, no fussing.  They were hopeful, for the first time, that they might place in the competition.

I am pleased to say that this group knocked it out of the park.  Not only did they place - they won!!!!  First place!!  When their troop number was called they stood there for a minute, looking at each other in shock.  They are now the proud possessors of the traveling trophy.  Other adults complimented them on their teamwork and attitude.  One even said that although their skills weren't top notch, they never gave up and used each other to work things through.  For me, that is what scouting is all about.  Can I say I love this troop, the boys and the adult leadership? 

--

As an aside - DS's old troop was there along with the SM who told DS he would never amount to anything.  I have to admit to feeling some sense of in-your-face satisfaction after DS's troop won.  I don't care if it goes against the Scout Law.  Okay, yes, I do, and I will never say that to anyone local.  But, by golly, having DS stick with scouting and continue to set goals and help younger boys and seeing some small success after having such a terrible experience makes my heart sing.

• Like 3

Congratulations to both of them.  Woohoo!  Way to go!!  Keep plugging along boys!

Never say done.  Encourage them to continue working on merit badges that interest them.  Merit badges become more fun without the pressure of being required or  the need to be part of the 21 (now 22) merit badges required for Eagle.

There are still only 21 required--it's just that Cooking takes the place of an elective.

Wow, Scoutermom, that is a wonderful story! In my experience, teamwork (in cold conditions) is so often the weak point. Congrats to your ds!

• Like 1

Bumping.

Middle son just finished his citizenship in the world and the welding merit badges in the last couple of weeks.

We are moving along.

So thankful for scouts and sad so many just don't want to get it and feel the need to make such negative comments about it.

• Like 3

So thankful for scouts and sad so many just don't want to get it and feel the need to make such negative comments about it.

Thank you for that comment--it IS sad.

• Like 1

I haven't posted on this in forever.  Indy has earned the Astronomy, Rifle Shooting, Wilderness Survival and is almost done with Citizen of the World, Pets and  Camping merit badges.  He earned his Tenderfoot rank in early Dec, and then got his 2nd Class in late Jan.  He only has a few more requirements for 1st Class.  He's looking for the Eagle! 

• Like 4

Good for him! Camping is a BIG mb!

I just had the MOST frustrating Eagle candidate phone call. Mom, droning on and on. "No ma'am, I won't talk to you--I need to talk to your son".

"But, he doesn't understand and he wants, blah, blah, blah."

"It's HIS project, not yours."

But, but, but."

I finally just said HE needs to call me back. Arg!

DS has been in scouts since July last year. He is becoming a Joey in 2 weeks and apparently it didn't happen last year because he fell through the cracks somewhere. Which is okay by us because DS is the type of kid who takes a while to get into the groove of things IYKWIM.

They are working on the environmental badge this term.

• Like 2

I had to look that up.  A Joey would be equivalent to our Tigers?????  I am thinking anyway.  Is it through the BoyScout venue or is it entirely different?

Our Tigers don't earn badges, they earn pins, belt loops, and rank.

Interesting.

Dawn

DS has been in scouts since July last year. He is becoming a Joey in 2 weeks and apparently it didn't happen last year because he fell through the cracks somewhere. Which is okay by us because DS is the type of kid who takes a while to get into the groove of things IYKWIM.
They are working on the environmental badge this term.

I was told the belt loops and pins were being revamped in 2015.  Anyone know what the changes will be?

My oldest got his arrow of light and crossed over last month. I'm very proud of him! Scouting is just a great experience for my guys. Unfortunately I'm starting to think oldest would be better off with a different troop. I love the folks in our troop, am very involved and feel awful about wanting to switch, but mine is the only kid in his group and I don't get the sense that he'll have much support. He is eager to get going on advancement and badges, but wants to have the group. Our other local troop has more kids. Nobody new is coming in to this one before next fall. Ugh. I just feel so guilty about leaving....

• Like 3

Don't you think once he gets into the boy scout troop it won't be such a big deal?  My oldest only had 3 bridge in his group and he is now friends with all sorts of ages within the troop.

BTW:  My husband makes the Arrow of Light awards and they are beautiful.  It takes him a long time.  I should get a picture and post.

Dawn

My oldest got his arrow of light and crossed over last month. I'm very proud of him! Scouting is just a great experience for my guys. Unfortunately I'm starting to think oldest would be better off with a different troop. I love the folks in our troop, am very involved and feel awful about wanting to switch, but mine is the only kid in his group and I don't get the sense that he'll have much support. He is eager to get going on advancement and badges, but wants to have the group. Our other local troop has more kids. Nobody new is coming in to this one before next fall. Ugh. I just feel so guilty about leaving....

Congrats to him for getting the AoL!  Indy was in a really large troop in Germany, and when we moved here, the troop is smaller by about 30 kids, and he's so much happier.  He felt like he was getting lost in the crowd.  What do you mean by "group?"

Don't you think once he gets into the boy scout troop it won't be such a big deal?  My oldest only had 3 bridge in his group and he is now friends with all sorts of ages within the troop.

BTW:  My husband makes the Arrow of Light awards and they are beautiful.  It takes him a long time.  I should get a picture and post.

Dawn

Please post a photo!  I'd love to see them.  Indy's AoL award is lame.  They were supposed to get actual arrows, but they couldn't get them shipped to Germany for some reason.  They had wood plaques made instead with the Pack # and place, the AoL badge and the boys' names (I blanked Indy's out in the photo below) carved into them, but they're really not that well done.  James Bond wants to get Indy an arrow and maybe hang it from the bottom of the plaque.  

DSC_0993_zps54aa6cf5.jpg

They don't look bad from a distance, but they are really rough, and the clear coat is very uneven.  The ceremony was in mid-March and it was 34 degrees and crazy windy.  They entire ceremony and dinner were held outdoors!  When the archer shot the flaming arrow (something everyone was looking forward to), the wind was so strong, it blew out almost the moment it left the bow.  :(  Still, Indy got his AoL and was happy as a clam.

• Like 1

I've got 4 kids in 4 sections at the moment - Moominmamma in Explorers, The Snork Maiden in Scouts, Sniff in Cubs and Little My in Beavers.

I wanted to be able to find this thread again - I'm going to come back an edit it later when I've figured out what they're all working towards!

Nice plaque!

The kids are divided by age. As a Cub Scout ds had at most 2 other kids to work with throughout. One is almost aged up and doesn't seem to come much, the other left scouts after gettjng his AoL. :( Now as a Boy Scout ds will be the only kid until fall. The other local troop does not do this so ds would be able to mix with all the kids and participate more. Middle ds has a larger bunch. Youngest wants to be a tiger, but this pack doesn't do tigers and won't let kids start until 8. The other does. I just really like the moms and kids, but it isn't the best fit for 2/3 of my kids. Oldest also wants to do summer camp, but can't as an 11 yo. Again, not an issue if he switches. Well, I think he can go as a provisional troop.

Nice plaque!

It looks good in the photos, but it's poorly done.  There are loads of rough edges on it.  :(  Still, it's his plaque and he likes it.  He's upset over the lack of an arrow though!

those are gorgeous!

I've been busy making stuff for B&G too-- youngest is finally crossing over to boy scouts-- I cannot tell you how excited I am that I wont be doing both CUB and BOY SCOUTS at the same time anymore!  WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!  Doin the happy dance!!!!

Our 3rd and final crossover.  YIPEEEEE!!!

hubby is still polyurethaning the plaque.  This is my middle son's from last year, but they look the same..

I made the framed super-achievers, got all but 2 done (out of 17 to make)

Now I'm finishing up these boards to  have for each boy.  We're going to put a portrait picof the boy in their webelo2 uniform (taken last week), then surround it with smaller pics of them as tiger-webelo...

(ok, hang on and i'll post a pic...  ) LOL

post-3539-0-69407000-1392648833_thumb.jpg

post-3539-0-34048600-1392648848_thumb.jpg

post-3539-0-28742800-1392648968_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the rules are for taking Boy Scouts up in an airplane to fulfill one of the options for the Aviation Badge? I'm assuming they need permission slips signed but do they need to file anything with Council?

My oldest's troop is planning to fly tomorrow night around 7:00 in a small plane. The only reason I know this is that the wife of the guy that's flying them is a friend and she mentioned it in an off-hand manner. I'm bugged that I didn't know and I'm concerned about safety after dark. Do I have reason to be bugged or should I just suck it up?

Thanks