Menu

The house

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

sucked. It won't work. Too much wrong with it so that it won't pass inspection for the types of loans we were going for. So. *sigh* I'm supposed to be looking online and I have to turn in paperwork to the mortgage guy on Monday because he forgot to mention that no one would be in his office today to take the papers.

At least the real estate agent we met today was good. He seemed to know what he was talking about and was prepared with flashlight and measuring tape and was willing to go down into a half-flooded crawl space to confirm that the hot water heater was down there and lifted on blocks. This, in weather so cold that there were glaciers drifting past on the road.

The landlord...called me. Three times in the space of 10 minutes. ... I was in line paying for something and he kept calling. Finally I answered and asked him what he wanted. He wanted the copy of the lease of course. I told him that I couldn't open the file and so sorry about that. And he asked me three times about where was my paper copy. I told him I'd scanned it! (What is his PROBLEM?! Who gives someone grief over that??) So then he wants me to email him the file. I said I can't. It's a bad file. I have to somehow figure out how to restore it. "Email it to me when you do. You have my email address?" Yeah, I do. And get bent. I'm not spending time and money on fixing a corrupted file on my computer. Try looking in your desk, dillhole.

Sooooo angry.

I get off of the phone with him and my friend calls to find out how the house viewing went. As she's talking... landlord calls back. Twice. No message, just calling. Didn't call him back.

Desperate. To. Get. Out.

Didn't help that when we came home, we found that our lovely next door neighbors had apparently had hotdogs and big gulps for lunch. The trash if ALL OVER our front yard. Straws in trees type of trash thrown around.

:crying:

Guest inoubliable

Send him the corrupted file. It's not your fault he can't figure out how to open an attachment. ;)

I would but I can't even get it to attach. :( It keeps telling me that the file cannot be found. I *think* it has something to do with an updated version of Adobe. At least that's what I found when I was googling for a fix.

I'm torn between making a copy and dumping it off at his office, and continuing to ignore him. I should have never given him my phone number. Maybe I'll go get it changed and give him my Google voice number.

That's really disappointing. :bored: Is this house the tear-down one you were asking about or is it something different? Sorry I haven't been up on all your threads.

I'm sorry the house won't work. I didn't post on your other threads, but I have read them (between my busy schedule only allowing me to visit in spurts the board issues, I haven't been posting much!)

Is there some other place you can rent? Sorry, I can't remember.

I would probably start looking at what *your* rights are. His actions seem to be harrassing to me. I wouldn't erase any phone records or messages, either, in case you need to prove how often he has been contacting you over all of this--- *incliuding* bothering you about payments that aren't late!!

I feel for you! :grouphug:

I googled for "corrupted .pdf file" without the quotes and came up with a number of things.

Do not let him near you or your family and do not let him see the copy of the paper lease that you have!

At the least, I believe he might destroy the paper lease. At the worst, he may be dangerous to you or to your family.

Lots of MLS listings for real estate are available for you to look at, in your "spare" time, on the Internet. I hope you can get out of that house, ASAP.

If your DH is a Veteran, your state may have special financing programs available (lower interest rate, lower down payment, lower points, etc.). And, the Federal government has programs for Veterans.

GL!

Guest inoubliable

Thanks, all. :) I appreciate the support.

The realtor we met with today sent over some listings that he thought we might like. There's one in particular that we really liked and is in the next "neighborhood" over. Right price, bigger house (what will I do with 4 bedrooms??), nicer yard, quieter neighborhood. We're going to look on Monday after lunch. I'm trying very hard to hold on to the thought that we could very possibly be under contract by next weekend.

Hopefully, I'll have pictures of the house to share on Monday. Keep your fingers crossed and send good vibes this way!

he does sound desperate, you might want to move your important papers somewhere off-site. If he has a key, he might come in and rifle through your papers looking for it.

THIS! Definitely! can you block his phone number from your phone? That's what I would do.

Good luck with your house hunting, I hope you find something soon.

~coffee~

Guest inoubliable

he does sound desperate, you might want to move your important papers somewhere off-site. If he has a key, he might come in and rifle through your papers looking for it.

I didn't even think of that! Crap! I'm home pretty much all the time, but he could easily come and go on a weekend. Oh that really makes me nervous! I'm going to make some copies tomorrow. I'm going to have one in my safe, send one home with my best friend, deposit one at my grandfather's house, and maybe find a local bank to open a box and have the original in there.

More determined than ever to get out! Now that I really think about this - his desperation, I mean really, 6 phone calls in the space of 10 minutes?? - I'm starting to get a little scared. Not just nervous or anxious. More like, what is his mental status?

Be sure that in your desperation to move, you don't make a foolish buying decision. I've BTDT. While it seems now that nothing is worse than your landlord, being in debt for a house that you come to regret buying is worse. Be sure that you get independent inspection on any house you make an offer on etc and don't take one too much of a mortgage. Don't be me wrong, move. But be cautious.