Menu

Please compare for me: Noeo science, R.E.A.L Science, & Elemental Science

bbcooker

Here are the three science programs I'm considering. I need to pick one.

Noeo Homeschool Science http://www.noeoscience.com/index.html

R.E.A.L Science Odyssey http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=50

Elemental Science Inc http://elementalscience.com/classic.html

What is the teacher prep for each?

Which program do students enjoy the most?

What is the weekly schedule of each to teach it? (Is it a 5-day pgm, or 3-day pgm, or 3-days plus 1-afternoon-lab pgm, etc.) How much time should I allot to do the program?

What are the other differences between them? (such as approach, or philosophy, or depth of material covered, or bias, or writing/reading level expected, or amount learned/retained, or specific items well-taught in each that aren't taught well in the other programs)

Other comments?

Thank you so much!!!!

We've not done NOEO. Last year I did R.E.A.L Life with my son. It was ok, but I found it difficult to have what I needed. It was the only program I didn't completely finish last year. I also thought it was pricey for a download. 47 bucks vs 17 for ES.

This year I'm doing ES Earth/Space with my 7 y/o, and ES Physics with my 10 y/o. My boys love it. There is either a 5 day schedule, or a 2 day schedule. We chose the 2 day, so I could stagger both boys. There is usually reading and a written narration on both days, but also an experiment on one of the days. The physics also has science vocabulary. Both have a scientist biography and book report to complete. I really like reading our material out of books rather than reading the blurb written in R.E.A.L. I chose to buy the books for ES, though they almost all were available at the library. The experiments in ES have been simple, fun and doable. The experiments are my kids' favorite part of the day. Some of the books are Usborne internet linked. Both kids love following the links to learn more about what we are studying. My blog has some of our ES activities at the end of each weekly update post if you want to see. We will be doing it again next year as well :)

Haven't used REAL. We did NOEO Chem II, and started Bio II. We didn't really like the Young Scientist Club experiments. This year we're using Elemental Science, alternating units of Biology For the Logic Stage and Earth and Space for the Logic Stage (obviously we'll take two years for this! Not trying to finish both in one year.). We're also doing their Sassafrass Science Zoology as a fun elective. We are enjoying it much more. We like the DK encyclopedias better than the Usborne Encyclopedia that NOEO uses, and we also find the experiments to be better and more fun. Elemental also has suggested discussion questions for each week, which I don't seem to remember with NOEO, although I could be wrong about that. We plan to continue with Elemental throughout middle school.

We are using Elemental Science Biology for Grammar Stage. DS absolutely adores it. It's one of his favorite parts of the school day. When I asked him about any changes he'd like to make for next year, his first concern was continuing with Elemental Science. Okay with me since it's so easy to do.

Simple layout--teacher page with the schedule. It's all spelled out, you jut open and go. Student pages are a separate file but you can print them and organize how you want. This semester I printed everything for week 1 and put it all together...schedule w notes, student pages, experiment forms, etc. that way we just open the binder to the week we are on and go, no extra flipping or work required.

Simple to use--the work load is absolutely appropriate for the level. It has the correct balance of writing, narrating, experiments, experiment forms, and reading. There have been a few times when we accidentally found books at the library to supplement what we were reading about, but that's not really necessary. It's just easy to do. For me the experiments are easy and use supplies we already have--a huge bonus! I like that its science only, not a bunch of other stuff with it. It's not overwhelming either, just takes a minute or 2 to preview what we need for the week.

I want to add that we have used NOEO as well as ES and I prefer ES. NOEO is a great program, but I think ES is a bit simpler IMHO. The science kits that come with NOEO are really cool and I think that is a bonus for that curriculum. But it felt overwhelming to have so many parts and pieces. I like that ES uses simple projects and household items.

I used NOEO, physics 1 and we liked it for the most part. We enjoyed the books and the kits that came with them worked just fine for us! It was nice having there and ready- I felt it was minimal prep and I could for the most part see what was next and just get the books and kit out and we could do it. The one thing we got tired of was that there was only a notebooking page every week and at times I wish there was more background info. for me, but the kids loved it and got it done. I have no experience with the other 2 programs though.

Which Elemental Science is it that everyone loves? Unit Study? Living Books? Classic Series?

Which is the most easy, open-and-go?

Science is not getting as much attention in this house as it should...

For us, the answer is ES Classic Series. I haven't used the other products from ES. DS is in 5th grade, using the logic stage level. Very open-and-go, all planned out for you, with a student book of directions/schedule written to the student and teacher book to guide me in guiding him.

I have used R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey and Elemental. We preferred R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, but I wasn't truly satisfied with either. We used Elemental's Chemistry and my dd hated it. There was too much jumping around and too much that felt like busywork. I did add on to R.E.A.L. science, but it was much more enjoyable and dd learned more from it. We dropped Elemental halfway through.

I haven't tried NOEO or R.E.A.L Science but we do use ES......Science wasn't getting done around here either until we discovered ES.....Though we are using the Logic stage this year with my 7th grader, I plan to use the grammar stages with my 2nd and 5th graders next school year! Our blog shows my dd doing the experiements with ES.

We used REAL and I hated it with a deep and abiding passion. We did chemistry and I swear I felt like it was a chore every freaking day. You need so much stuff for every lesson and it felt like most of the days were spent hands on.

We tried CPO Earth this year, but it was a dud too. It was so boring. Someone on here asked about ES, so I decided to check it out. I'm so glad I did! I got the Earth and Space and Indy loves it. I do too. While there is an experiment (though they aren't all actually real experiments) every week, it's not hard to come up with the items needed. I understand there are more supplies needed for other levels, but I've looked at the list and they are pretty standard for science classes.

We are doing the classic series. I like that it has 2 different schedules to choose from, a 2 or 5 day and that it is clearly laid out for both the teacher and the student. I open it up for the day and we know exactly what to do. Huzzah! The logic stage is a bit more expensive that the grammar stage, but not much and it's so worth it to find something that we both like. Indy has already asked if we're going to stay with this program next year. I think the answer is a resounding yes.

HTH!

This is a great question....I'm definitely listening to all the replies.

We are using REAL Life this year. I got the science kit to go with it, from Home Science Tools. So, at least that gives me most of the supplies we need. We are enjoying it. We aren't raving about it yet....but, we are only about 1/4 of the way through it. Dd likes it when there is something hands on to do from the kit.

I've been trying to decide what to do for next year too...and I was considering NOEO. I'll have to look at ES. Is that secular? Our school will only buy secular science.

Yes, I have the same question about ES. Is it secular? How is it biased?

Is Elemental Science secular or Christian?

Although I am a Christian, I have tried to write Elemental Science as non-sectarian. I have done my best to write each program in a manner that focuses on the science being studied instead of a person’s religious viewpoint. This was an easy task for Biology, Chemistry and Physics. However, in the interest of full disclosure, we do require that you use books that come from an evolutionary standpoint. In the elementary years, we do not schedule pages that deal directly with evolution or Big Bang. In the intermediate years, pages that deal with the Big Bang are included as an optional study (Please view the Earth Science & Astronomy for the Logic Stage sample to get a better idea of how this is handled.) If you have any further questions on this topic, please contact us.

I haven't checked every level of the Elemental Science classic series, but all the spines we've used in it so far are secular - published by Usborne, Kingfisher, and DK. You can see the required and recommended books listed in the teacher's manual portion of the samples on the ES website.

We used REAL and I hated it with a deep and abiding passion. We did chemistry and I swear I felt like it was a chore every freaking day. You need so much stuff for every lesson and it felt like most of the days were spent hands on.

We tried CPO Earth this year, but it was a dud too. It was so boring. Someone on here asked about ES, so I decided to check it out. I'm so glad I did! I got the Earth and Space and Indy loves it. I do too. While there is an experiment (though they aren't all actually real experiments) every week, it's not hard to come up with the items needed. I understand there are more supplies needed for other levels, but I've looked at the list and they are pretty standard for science classes.

HTH!

So, since you have done both, I have a quick question. You say that the Elemental "experiments" are not really experiments. Can you elaborate> /what are they? Does REAL have actual experiments? I don't mind if it more handson because I think my son would enjoy that, but not if it is useless time spent.

So, since you have done both, I have a quick question. You say that the Elemental "experiments" are not really experiments. Can you elaborate> /what are they? Does REAL have actual experiments? I don't mind if it more handson because I think my son would enjoy that, but not if it is useless time spent.

Some of the experiments in ES are more reading info and filling in charts and writing a summary of what you learned. Not exactly experiments. Two weeks ago though, we calculated the speed of light using a chocolate bar and the microwave. It was interesting, plus we got to eat warm, melty chocolate afterward. Next week we are going to use aluminum foil, water and flashlight to find out why stars twinkle. The following week, we're going to make a mini planetarium with a shoe box and a flashlight. This is more of a hands on project than an experiment, but it should be fun. There aren't many chemical kinds of experiments you can do for astronomy. There are plenty of hands on things though (one of the spines is Astronomy for Everyone).

It's difficult to compare the REAL and ES though, as we did REAL chemistry and are doing ES Earth and Space. In REAL, every day was something hands on and it mostly felt like busy work. It was also very time consuming. Make marshmallow atoms was boring. We had to glue them down, so we couldn't even eat them afterward. Boo. The text was pretty dull too. Indy was not a fan.

I'm glad to know it's considered secular. I'm definitely going to get Earth Science & Astronomy next year. I didn't realize that Rainbow Resource carries ES now, with all the books too. Yay!

I'm actually considering getting the Biology (grammar) now and incorporating that with our RSO Life....so I can kinda pick and choose what I want from each...and then I won't end up missing any in the ES series. I would probably just get the download for that. I already have the Van Cleave books.....can I just use what animal & human body encyclopedias and plant books that I have on my shelf already instead of those specific ones?

ETA: I already own these 4 Usborne Internet-Linked Science books:

First Encyclopedia of Animals

Animal World

World of Plants

Human Body

& The Kingfisher First Encyclopedia of Animals

plus tons more human body books.....I think I answered my own question...that these should work fine. The only one I guess I wonder about it Van Cleave's Science Around the World. Are a lot of the experiments in there?

We use Noeo and the kids really enjoy it! I purchased the whole BIO 1 kit and it came with a ton of books and some experiments.

I love the books and so do my children. We mostly just read, and read, and read :)

They create a notebook page weekly with a drawing and a very short narration about it.

We can do a weeks worth of reading in 3 or 5 days.

The experiments are just so-so and my kids would like to do more of them.

I plan on moving on to Noeo Physics 1 by the end of May and the summer will be filled with as many messy, hands on experiments as I can tolerate!

I have no experience with the other two programs but I can tell you that Apologia was a HUGE fail for us.

What is it about it that you love?

It really shows the inter-relationships between the different branches of science. I always thought of the different branches of science as being completely separate, and having nothing to do with each other. BFSU really helps you to see how what you learn in one area relates to the others, which enables you to make generalizations.

It is very conceptual, if that is possible for a science program?

The full name is Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding - it's by Nebel. Do a search - tons of old posts! :)