Menu

Broken jaw - need recipes

Violet Crown

So Great Girl continues to have the world's most crisis-laden freshman year ever. She has now broken her jaw and it will have to be wired shut. Liquid diet only. She hates liquid foods, especially soup, so her Lenten penance is all good to go. Does anyone have teen-pleasing recipes, especially slow cooker recipes, for no-chunk soups or smoothies for an active teenager who is stuck with liquid nutrition only? She is a nominal vegetarian but doesn't mind a little surreptitious beef or chicken stock.

Poor girl. :grouphug:

This happened to one of my two best friends in high school - junior year. She drank a lot of smoothies. The big go-to in a hurry drink was just a banana and milk in the blender. Almost any fruits were fair game. Other than that, I couldn't tell you what she drank... Her family is Persian, and always had super yummy food but preparing it was beyond me at that point. Delicious, though. I think she often blended whatever was being served for dinner, and added broth as needed.

On a different note, your post brought back a lot of memories... We ran cross country together, and logged a lot of miles listening to her particular brand of puffing through a wired jaw... shhhhhh, shhhhhh, shhhhhh... :)

When I was younger that happened to my boyfriend.

He was thin and over the 6 weeks he lost about 30 pounds. She may not like stocks, but she may have no choice. If I were you, I'd break out the stockpot and start making bone broth. Buy lots of grassfed butter and add that to the savory stuff and some coconut oil to the fruity stuff.

Broccoli cheddar soup, tomato soup, protein powders, smoothies--peanut butter banana chocolate smoothies will add some calories.

What an offering she can make! :-D

I had mine surgically broken the summer I turned 15. They gave me a "cookbook" of putting pizza, hamburgers, etc in the blender. No thank you! I lived that 6 weeks + on my mother's soft chicken and dressing, scrambled eggs, grits, etc. Just about any real food I could slip in that was not higher than the lip of a spoon and I could "chew" by squishing against the roof of my mouth. :) I'm not a foodie so the idea of hamburgers through straws just about made me sick! :)

Oh! And Ensure/Boost type drinks. I was already "underweight" so they really pushed me not to lose weight no matter what.

I saved this from all recipes a while back. I keep meaning to try it but haven't yet:

Beet and Pear Puree

Ingredients Servings

• 3 medium beets
  • 5 ounces unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup minced Vidalia onions
  • 1 1/2 Bosc pears - peeled, cored and minced

• 2 teaspoons white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cranberry vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Check All Add to Shopping List

Directions

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Wash beets, and place in a roasting pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender. Set aside to cool.

• Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, pears, sugar, and vinegar; cook, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes.

• When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and coarsely chop.

• Puree onion mixture in a food processor with metal blade. Add salt and 1/2 of the beets; pulse 4 to 5 times. Add remaining beets, and pulse 2 to 3 times.

Kitchen-Friendly View

• PREP20 mins
  • COOK1 hr
  • READY IN1 hr20 mins

Friends, I appreciate all these recipes, and the sympathy. Of course on top of this, she has several damaged molars that can't be crowned until the jaw is repaired (the surgeon just pulled the molar that was beyond repair). So she's super-sensitive to heat and cold; tepid liquids it will be.

(When the oral surgeon told her he was couldn't save the one molar and was going to have to extract the pieces of it immediately, she burst into tears. The doctor, who is Italian, stared at her in bewilderment and said in his strong accent, "But I am very good at this!" She told me later that that assertion of competence was the most comforting thing he could possibly have said.)

Juice Plus has a shake mix that is actually very good. Both Chocolate and Vanilla. I make them with almond milk, two big handfuls of greens (chard or spinach - You don't even taste it with the chocolate) and then some frozen fruit. I only add the greens because it's an easy way to get more in. But it's quite good and works well as a meal. Some days I add chia seeds just because we have them. You probably can add peanutbutter or other nut butter in for more protein if you want to I guess. If she doesn't want it milkshake cold, you can just add regular fruit as well, not just frozen.

Have you looked into juicing? Some of them are really good.

No suggestions for meals, but if you can add high quality butter (grass-fed Kerrygold is awesome) or coconut oils to whatever meals, it'll help her get some much needed fats. Whey protein - protein. These will help keep her full.

Also - fish oil and D3 (you can get both in liquid form) would be good to add in also. If she's low in any other micronutrient, it may be worth having her take it in a liquid form, it'll help.

You may want to look up enzymes and probiotics as well, there are certain ones that can quicken healing.

DH loves lentil soup and prefers it pureed.

My "recipe" is:

combine ham bone, 1 lb. lentils, 1 can Rotel tomatoes, diced onion, carrots, and celery in a slow-cooker and cover with water

cook until tender, about 5 hours?

add beef bullion and pepper to taste (1 also add 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring)

puree and serve

You can skip the ham bone and it would still be tasty, I think.

Another pureed favorite here is butternut squash, garlic, and chicken broth.

If keeping on weight is an issue don't forget you can add avocado to smoothies.

My go-to smoothie is just yogurt, a banana, whatever other fruit I have on hand (usually cherries, strawberries, blackberries, mango), a generous handful of spinach, and enough milk to make the consistency right. You can serve it closer to room temp and it is still yummy.

My kiddos hate lumpy soup, so I throw a cooked chicken breast, chicken broth, baked potato, some cheese, maybe a drained can of mushrooms, a little dill, a little rosemary and blend it all in my Vitamix. It's nice and creamy and can be whatever thickness you like, depending on how much broth you throw in. I like it at room temperature, so maybe if you let it cool down for a while, dd would be able to tolerate it.

Hugs to you both, poor things!

I broke my jaw when I was a child. I remember lots of milkshakes and my mom purayed everything in a blender . . .even chicken. I remember it like it was yesterday. Oh and baby food.

(I remember my first meal after the wires came off. . . Tastee Freez (fast food joint back then) fish and chips, salad with green garden dressing. My teeth hurt when I first started back to eating real food.)

Friends, I appreciate all these recipes, and the sympathy. Of course on top of this, she has several damaged molars that can't be crowned until the jaw is repaired (the surgeon just pulled the molar that was beyond repair). So she's super-sensitive to heat and cold; tepid liquids it will be.

(When the oral surgeon told her he was couldn't save the one molar and was going to have to extract the pieces of it immediately, she burst into tears. The doctor, who is Italian, stared at her in bewilderment and said in his strong accent, "But I am very good at this!" She told me later that that assertion of competence was the most comforting thing he could possibly have said.)

Poor baby!,