Menu

Any diets or tools that compliment paleo / primal?

Ann.without.an.e

I moved from a gluten free/dairy free diet to a paleo style diet around the first of July. This means that I don't eat grains (no rice, corn, wheat, oats), dairy, beans, peanuts, bad oils/fats, sugar, etc. etc. My frustration is this...I feel amazing, but I have only lost 5 pounds. I have Hashimoto's and it really is an uphill battle for me to keep from gaining weight, so losing is almost impossible. I have no sympathy from my doctor...he only says that most people with my lab numbers are much larger than I am. I am not concerned about other people. I don't need to be a rail, but I want to be a more comfortable (for me) size than I am right now. I am not moving away from this style of diet but I have thought about combining it with either counting carbs or calories on something like Fit Day. I have incredible willpower. Food is not a vice for me...I can restrict to nothing and I can give up about anything. I just want to go about it in a healthy manner. Any experience? Any thoughts? I feel like with the paleo lifestyle I can maintain anything I can lose. Losing is the problem!

And if you are reading this and thinking...surely she hasn't tried hard enough, surely she is actually eating cookies and not counting it? I would have thought that in the past too!!! You have no idea!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I feel your pain. I don't lose weight on paleo/low carb diets (and really, in the true meaning of the word "diet," which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with weight loss. It's just...the food you eat on a regular basis) either.. I'm doing Medifast now to get the weight off (36lb so far), and seeing an endochrinologist instead of my general practitioner, who never believes me when I say that my thyroid levels are.not.right. :glare: I'm kind of worried about the maintenance process, when I'll be eating real food instead of packets of things.

Which is to say that I don't have any answers; I just feel your pain. :-(

I'm new to all this diet discussion, but I was reading a lot about LCHF last night and this morning. Someplace I saw something about thyroid - maybe a thread here, I can't remember - and what happens with that and LCHF. Maybe you need a slightly different proportion of fat/protein/carb than you've been eating? I would try googling thyroid and LCHF...

For breakfast: I will usually have one egg and some fruit or a smoothie (one banana, 2 Tbs almond butter, almond milk, and ice).

Lunch: Lettuce wrap (romaine leaf with homemade olive oil mayo, organic turkey or chicken, and veggies), salad, or apple with almond butter.

Dinner: Meat and veggies ~ either in a stir fry or a piece of meat and veggies on the side. Sometimes I will have potatoes too. Sometimes we will have fruit for dessert.

I usually try not to snack in between.

I am thinking about skipping lunches and having green tea and a TBS of coconut oil instead.

I'm new to all this diet discussion, but I was reading a lot about LCHF last night and this morning. Someplace I saw something about thyroid - maybe a thread here, I can't remember - and what happens with that and LCHF. Maybe you need a slightly different proportion of fat/protein/carb than you've been eating? I would try googling thyroid and LCHF...

This is a possibility though my diet is already pretty LCHF.

For breakfast: I will usually have one egg and some fruit or a smoothie (one banana, 2 Tbs almond butter, almond milk, and ice).

Lunch: Lettuce wrap (romaine leaf with homemade olive oil mayo, organic turkey or chicken, and veggies), salad, or apple with almond butter.

Dinner: Meat and veggies ~ either in a stir fry or a piece of meat and veggies on the side. Sometimes I will have potatoes too. Sometimes we will have fruit for dessert.

I usually try not to snack in between.

I am thinking about skipping lunches and having green tea and a TBS of coconut oil instead.

I have Hash's too. I can't lose weight if I eat fruit or potatoes. I have also read that fasting with Hash's can do more harm than good. (I can try to look up that article if you are interested.)

Take this with a huge grain of salt because I am just a rookie and still trying to figure out myself as well as the myriad versions of these diets, but my instinct would be to experiment by more dramatically limiting the morning carbs and replacing with fat - I'd try not eating any fruit/smoothie/banana/almond milk at breakfast and add a generous tbsp of butter - or as much fat as you can reasonably tolerate - with the egg. I would not plan to skip meals unless it turns out that you are not hungry at that time. I would intentionally go heavy on the fat at lunch as well.

For some people, including myself, the morning is a much more difficult time to eat carbs than later in the day where blood sugar/insulin is concerned.

I suspect that you need a "magic" formula to lose weight. I can lose more weight eating 1600 calories and exercising moderately than I can eating 1200 calories. At 1200 calories, no matter how much I exercise, my body will hold onto weight. Right now I am following Tracy Anderson, just started and while I don't ever look at a scale, I think in a week I slimmed down a little. My jeans are more comfy, at least, the most you could hope for in a week, I think. However, I mostly did her eating plan just to see if I could do it, since some people on the board were concerned with the fact that it is 700 to 800 calories a day. She does happen to have the "right" 700 to 800 calories a day and I managed to follow her plan perfectly and while I was moderately hungry, I feel great. I feel clear headed and even tempered, happy. Able to joke about things that might normally have really annoyed me, and I know it is because my blood sugar is level.

Have you considered that you may need to literally burn the fat off with rigorous exercise? I don't know if your medical condition stops you from burning fat with exercise, but if it doesn't, maybe an hour of dance cardio every day and some time on an exercise bike, and of course weight training to build muscle to burn fat. It would be hard, but it would be worth it to do for thirty weeks if you could burn a pound a week and then maintain with good eating and more moderate exercise?

If what I said isn't helpful given your medical condition, I'm sorry, I feel for you because I have dieted and not lost weight and it is SOOO not fun.

I'd try eliminating the fruit and nuts, see if that helps at all. I'd definitely add some fat and protein in the morning as well. It doesn't seem like you're eating enough fat to me.

The ratio I like going with is 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carbs. Since you are trying to lose more weight, you can even decrease carbs more, if you'd like.