Menu

S/O Amazon Prime: What do you order from Amazon?

Kirch

Reading through the other thread made me realize that I may need to broaden my thinking a bit to really get the most from our Prime membership! So other than books and toys/gifts, what do you order from Amazon? I'm especially interested in the kinds of things people mentioned save them trips to the store, etc.

I bought all sorts of baby things from Amazon when I last had a newborn, such as my favorite swaddling blankets. We also get subscribe and save diapers and wipes, but the deal isn't as great as it used to be. If I remember right, I get huggies for about the same price as bulk store-brand now. It used to be that name-brand was cheaper than store-brand. When my toddler started showing signs of being ready for potting training, I got an Amazon and ordered him a kid's book, which has been extremely helpful.

Some weird things we've bought are vacuum cleaner filters (a bit hard to find in stores when your vacuum isn't the latest model), and a lock re-tooling kit when we bought our house last year. Some other things in my order history are feliway for the cats, a manicure set (I've never had one, and I love it), hair styling things, a baby life jacket and sunglasses and sports umbrella for our beach trip last year, whiskey glasses for Father's day, a fan, car seat accessories like a heat deflector and cup holder, tons of books and a few toys, and 80% of my Christmas shopping. Basically whenever I need something, I get on Amazon and read the reviews, and often wind up buying it too. Who has time to get to the baby store across town when you're about to take a long car trip and need a carseat cup holder!

Glad you posted this, I was wondering the same thing after reading the Prime thread. :)

We of course buy books and curriculum, video games, gifts and other educational items. We've bought some electronics like my Kindle Touch and memory for my laptop. We were going to buy our Roku box through there but found a good deal at Costco.

I need to check some of the subscribe and save items. We're a small household so I don't know how much would be useful, and we're out of the diapers phase!!

All of our school and reading books, music, computer programs and games

Nearly every gift we need to buy - I love that they ship, saving me a trip to the post office. I know they offer easy returns, so if gift recipient

needs to return it is easy on their end.

Garden tools - rake, pruners, edger

Large household items, like our new television (That alone paid for our Prime membership.)

Kitchen stuff, like ice cream maker, waffle iron, cake pans, Bento box supplies and egg molds, biodegradable bags for my compost/kitchen scraps. (Hm. Think I also bought my vermicomposter from them.)

Occupational therapy supplies, such as theraputty, left-handed pens, special paper.

Clothes - I have bought DS several T-shirts through Amazon, plus bought Harley clothes for my dad.

Music supplies for DS

Workout equipment, including golf tees for DS

Camera and equipment

There are just three of us in our family, but we live in an urban area and I hate dealing with traffic and getting out to shop.

(I actually looked over our purchases for last six months, then through all of 2011 for my list. Yikes. No wonder our UPS man knows me.)

In addition to a lot of things already mentioned, in the past 6 months we have bought swim gear, archery gear, printer ink, two-way radios with head sets, and kitchen supplies.

We watch a lot of Amazon Prime free videos and my daughter loves the lending library. She was thrilled yesterday when she realized she could get the next book on her list.

vitamins.

two of my sons see a ND, and the brands the ND recommends are carried by amazon, so it's easiest to just order from there. (and they are cheaper than most locally.) some offer a subscribe and save discount, and they come without having to reorder all the time.

I ordered the sunscreen shades for my living room. (it's full west facing, and they are outdoor shades)

I do alot of price comparision, but I order alot of stuff I might find elsewhere, but if it's cheaper at amazon (and I always include shipping when making comparisions), I just order through amazon.

in the past year: travel mugs, cuz they had to be the same as the ones we had so the lids are interchangeable

dh's socks - i found some he liked and didnt want to run around town to see who had them in stock

gluten free flours, but most of the time its better to order by the case from my hfs instead (i dont have prime)

coffee maker

ice cream maker

educational posters

a rice cooker

gf spaghetti (for some reason everyone kept being out of stock locally)

a hairbrush

pjs for ds

a camera (on their daily deals, it was a great deal)

a replacement for the blender ring that cracked

specialty baking pans like french bread and donut pans

replacement water filter cap for the fridge - i tried a local plumbing supply store and they gave me the wrong thing

i used to do more gluten free food on subscribe and save, but the prices went way up

and of course, tons and tons of books, esp used books and cheap paperbacks

Printer cartridges

Dog food (way cheaper than petco, subscribe and save)

Cat food

Bounty paper towels

Computer related stuff (headphones, speakers)

Flea/tick collars

Raw cacao

Raw maca powder

Protein powder (60% less than our local hfs)

Project life stuff

Cleaning supplies (bulk 7th generation and mrs. Meyers)

Vitamins, supplements

Anything I am willing to buy online - I always try Amazon first.

Most recently I shopped there for some Stevia-sweetened treats, some music CDs, and some math manipulatives.

I bought a lot of my girls' school clothes there, both new and used.

I am not a "prime" member, but I like the fact that I don't have to enter all my personal and credit card info every time.

In addition to books (both homeschool and personal), Kindles, and Kindle ebooks:

-dog and cat food

-paper towels

-toilet paper

-Red Star active dry yeast

-SAF instant yeast

-kitchen tools

-small appliances

-mats for our van

-gifts - birthday, holiday, wedding, baby

-liners for our Litter Locker (like a diaper genie but for cat litter)

-x-box games

-vacuum cleaner filters (until I found out there's a washable one for my vacuum cleaner)

Those are just a few things I remembered without looking at my Amazon account. Some things we order repeatedly, others are one time orders. Dh has ordered things for his wood working hobby too.

Aside from the obvious media, i get bulk Annie's mac n cheese, bulk diet soda for my son with autism (Splenda-sweetened only), large dental dog chews, 10-lb bags of protein powder, a dutch oven, computer parts (hubby), beer-brewing stuff (hubby again) etc. Most Christmas and b'day shopping is at Amazon.

It is to us today what the Sears Roebuck catalog was a hundred years ago.

Just remembered something else I bought from Amazon:

A beautiful outdoor rug.

We had foundation repair and had this ugly spot of patched concrete at our front door, where the workers had to dig under our house.

It was an odd size and I so wanted something to cover it up, but didn't want to drive around looking for an exact dimension.

I just typed in the wideth I needed and pulled up a bunch of outdoor rugs, selected one that was long enough and pretty - two days later, the ugly concrete at my front door was covered. :coolgleamA:

I love Amazon for that reason - I don't have to drive everywhere looking for exactly what I want. Like PP said, it is my Sears catalog.

Like others, pretty much anything I can find there. I try to double check to make sure they are cheaper.

The one thing they really, really help with is low sodium products (or at least some). I have a Whole Foods, Earth Fare, and Fresh Market plus regular grocery stores in my town, but not one of them regularly stocks a low sodium ketchup (and I can only find two kinds of mustard). So at Amazon I can get low sodium ketchup as an add on item, which means I have to include it in an order of $25 or more but it is free to ship.

Let me note that food items seems to be more expensive at Amazon and often are more expensive plus they don't go under Prime so I have to pay shipping, so it is wise to compare.

But really, anything, I'm looking to get new muffin pans so I checked Cook's Illustrated's recommendation and found no one in town had it, so then I went with Amazon.

Well, in the last month we ordered a new set of faucets for a sink, trading card holders, arrow heads, a science kit, a music stand, games, and many, many books.

Even DH has learned that when he wants something (e.g., replacement faucets for a 10-year-old sink, long out of stock locally), to ask me to check Amazon.

this thread reminded me that i DONT have to go out running around town . . . i can buy dust-mite allergy covers and water filters for my fridge and my favorite pencils on amazon! i know there was SOMETHING else i wanted, so i'm not hitting purchase yet until I remember what it was . .. cuz i dont have prime, either.

this thread reminded me that i DONT have to go out running around town . . .

That is why I love Amazon Prime. :)

I get many of the things the others listed- school books, reading books (LOTS of those), school supplies, household items (lamps, sound machines, essential oil diffusers, files, file holders, calendars), vitamins, I haven't really bought too many of their grocery items because I haven't noticed they've been much cheaper.

So many odds and ends....

Pull ups

organic body wash/kids shampoo

Little Giant Ladder

personalized Christmas ornaments

socks

crayons, markers, gel pens

books (if searching for specific title)

cereal (only once, for a very good deal)

art supplies for the kids

DVD's

play doh

Hoover carpet shampooer soap

large percentage of Christmas toys

iron

laundry gadgets (sweater drying rack, tripod clothes hanger for after playing in snow, hangers with clips for gloves/hats to dry)

Office supplies (laminating sheets, magazine holders, bookends)

Corelle dishes

griddle

ice tea machine

gas powered generator (saved hundreds when price comparing, not to mention shipping savings)

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. I price compare, and only order from Amazon if they beat local prices. It really pays for me to have a prime account. I save so much on shipping, never mind the gas money. I have noticed prices have increased lately, so I don't order as much, but still worth it. We are going on 12 years of marriage, so many of our original houseware items are needing replaced.

Looking at my purchase history for the past six months; things other than books include:

Facial cleaning system

Hot rollers

Ironing board cover

Vitamins

Mattress protector

Board games

Puzzles

Pens and pencils

Maple syrup

Generic ink for printer

Generic toner for printer

RCA cable

Audio interface

Culinary torch

Paring knives

Lego kits

Hair dryer

Popcorn maker

Thermos

XXL Ziplock bags

DVDs

Magnetic poetry

Books, used books that are covered by Prime, Kindle books, and free movies (we're about to watch one) and television shows, plus, in the last few months:

raw sprouted gluten free granola bars (this is something we get regularly)

other raw sprouted gluten free items by Freeland (another regular purchase)

iron filings for science project

bean bag filler plastic pellets to weight down an amigurumi of David Tennant as Dr. Who

socks

astronomy poster for science

garage door remote

Nori punch for bento

Day planner

incense for science class (don't laugh -- I had no idea where else to get it)

Office for Mac 2011

Water Pik orthodontic tips

Water Pik

those compression bags you use in luggage so you can fit more in the suitcase

blood type kits

travel voltage converters and adaptors

mini headphones

pocket digital scale for science

500 gram calibration weight for the scale

bag of pipettes for science

etc. etc.

As much as I can.

Lately I bought:

Probiotics, printer ink, a small chalk board so I can write what's for dinner instead of repeating myself a million times, chalk, an eraser, butterfly larvae, lots of books for school, Christmas presents, birthday presents, a purse, flashlight, pepper spray.

I love Amazon. I would be lost without it.

I looked at my orders in the past 30 days outside of books:

dishwasher detergent and a rinse aid too

fish oil

reverse osmosis filter

apple sauce

replacement ink cartridges

pencils

tape

make up

probiotics

vanicream moisturizer

vitamins-several different types

granulated garlic

thermos

door knobs

electronics

vitamins

medicine

lotion

tuna

illy coffee

toothbrushes

water bottles

snacks

books!

office supplies

We don't have prime, but I buy a lot on Amazon. I like to check there first. If it is cheaper, I buy it. We moved to a new state this week. When we got here, I had 5 Amazon packages waiting for me. LOL.

Things I've bought in the last 6 months:

Vitamins

Music - CD or MP3 (they just introduced a thing where you can get MP3 copies of CDs you've bought in the past)

Movie streaming (I have all the season 3 episodes of Downton Abbey, yay!)

Lots of books

A salt lamp

Washable haircolor (for costumes)

Sheet music

Calendar

Tin whistle

Lotion

Vitamins/supplements, knock-off vacuum cleaner bags (half the price of miele bags at the store), swimsuits, birthday and holiday gifts, picture books, chapter books, curriculum, pencils, pencil grips, curriculum, Kumon workbooks, electronic accessories, k ruled notebooks, journals, puzzles,...

I buy most kids clothes second hand but I have one child who is difficult to fit so I buy her pants at amazon.

From the last 30 days, I've ordered:

Drain stopper

a bunch of math things (These kids WILL learn their multiplication tables!)

Wishbone DVD

ballet tights

printer toner

a gift card for a birthday gift

some books

homeopathic cold meds

zicam

a car charger for my phone

wii game

huge bag to store my artificial Christmas tree

a set of styluses for my ipad (these things are GENIUS)

ETA - that list doesn't include my digital items - kindle books and videos rented and purchased.

I did nearly all of my holiday shopping on amazon, the "free" shipping with prime makes holidays so much easier! In the past, I've bought food items, magazine subscriptions, bar stools, printers, cameras/lenses, food, vacuum bags...just anything.

Books

e-books

Greenies pill pockets for the cat