Menu

New and need some help please.

We've made the decision to pull my 10th grader from public high school. His last day was yesterday. I've been all over the internet and I'm incredibly overwhelmed. Making decisions on what to use for curricula, what classes he needs, wants, etc.

He's a bright kid, but we live in a very small community and sometimes I feel as though he was held back by not having more available to him. The last year and a half, he just slacked off. He seemed to feel like he didn't need to do the work. It wasn't too hard, he was just bored by it, so he wouldn't bother.

Also, I cannot find any homeschool groups anywhere near my area. Is there a trick to finding them, or are there really none??

We're dealing with some other issues with him and currently I'd like to keep him offline for schooling.

I don't even know where to begin, but I've jumped in with both feet so I have to now!

Michele

Welcome to the boards, Michele.

It can be overwhelming in the beginning, so what if you just take it one step at a time.

Do you know what your state requirements are? Will you be the person issuing his diploma?

We would be better able to help help you if you can provide us with more information such as what level in math is he currently at? What does he want to do when he graduates? What are his interests? Will you need secular materials? Which classes did he like and dislike? To what level are you able to help him?

It is not all that unusual for kids to slack off at this age, especially the boys. :grouphug:

ETA: I just want to make sure I am not confused. Have you homeschooled before? There was a poster on the K-8 boards with the same name. Either way, welcome to the high school board.

I'm in IL. I guess I should have mentioned that. I don't know much about the diploma thing. I think I would be the issuing person.

He's currently in Algebra 2. I had him take 2 placement tests and one was quite hard and suggested Alg1 (which he had 2 yrs ago) and the other still placed him in Alg2.

His only interest at the moment is computer related things. He programs games and makes artwork and music. All via the computer. Recently started web design. He would like to learn more programming languages. (flash, java, etc)

He enjoys science and math. His high school experience with english/language arts has been less than stellar. He learned nothing. I was really disappointed with some of his high school teachers.

He is generally really great at self learning. He can read or do a lesson and he understands. I don't know how much I'll be able to "teach", he'd probably do better with materials he can do mostly on his own, that I can check or go over with him. Or if he gets stuck we can look up solutions or whatever?

We don't need secular materials. Either is fine. We're Christian.

Thanks.

Just saw your edit. I'm brand new to homeschooling!

Hi Michele, welcome to the boards! Just for a laugh, I'll mention that there was someone who used to post here with that name, a totally different person obviously. She's gone now and I think her account was deleted, since you were able to get the name. So if someone acts confused or writes you like they know you, that's why. :)

Hmm, sounds like you're starting on the adventure! You're a couple grades ahead of us, so I'll just stay general. Yes, you're correct that some areas have tons of homeschoolers and some don't. You might like to go to some conventions this year. They're great for connecting, finding options, and just knowing you're in a cloud of people doing this and not alone. I think IL has a really good convention, don't they? For something totally different, you might come down to the Cincy convention. www.cincinnatihomeschoolconvention.com The cincy convention is a little different from the norm (well a lot different), because they really focus on the school part. They would have quite a bit to offer you, enough that it might be worth your drive. Compare the speaker lists to your state convention and see. It's a GHC (Great Homeschool) convention. There's also the TTD (Teach Them Diligently) conventions that look terrific. That would just be farther. Looks great though.

On the math, if you're using the placement test for the curriculum you're looking at, you're probably fine. If you're using it to test into a different curriculum, then I would probably back up and make sure Algebra 1 is solid. You can use the end of chapter reviews as tests and work through the book, digging in only where needed.

Again, welcome to the boards! :)

Does he like to read? If so, let him read classic literature for the next week or two while you begin to figure things out. What science was he doing in school? You could get a book on the same subject and let him just read science for a few weeks. What history? Maybe read a biography from the same time period.

Don't worry too much about credits or transcripts right now. If he does a science, a history, and reads literature that should cover 3 credits. Order a used Algebra 2 book that has answers to the odd problems from Amazon. To get started, buy something really inexpensive... it does not matter which book.... just to keep him doing some math until you can figure out which is the best curriculum to buy. If you have a thrift store handy you might can find an algebra book there.

Those ideas will give him something to work on while you get this figured out.

I'll be happy to help as much as I can. You CAN do it! :)

There's a lot of great stuff on the web, though. The trick is to find the good stuff and find a way to keep the web from taking over. Is there a way to lock the computer so it only goes to certain web sites?

If you live in a small town, the library may not be all that you could hope, but it's a good place to start. If I were in your situation, though, I'd be using the web a lot, as there are a lot of books online and a lot of courses.

We're doing a course in Python at Udacity:

https://www.udacity.com/courses

I haven't tried the other courses (so can't tell you how they are), but the Python one so far has been really good. (I think it's called Introduction to Computer Science.)

Python is a good language to start with.

At this point, as others have suggested, I'd just find him some good books to read and maybe have him do some writing related to them (or something else he's interested in). And get a cheap math book.

Something to be aware of is that a lot of students don't do all that well on placement tests, often placing back into classes they already took. It's hard to tell if they really need to take the class again, or need a review, or if they're actually ready to go on to the next course and can just review as they go. Based on what you've written about his placement tests, I'd probably go with Algebra 2. Usually the books start out with review. (You can also get a lot of review questions online ....) Has he done geometry? If he hasn't, you might want to do that first.

There are lots of lists of good books -- you might try the Ambleside Online lists and just pick what looks interesting.

https://amblesideonline.org/curriculum.shtml

(They're not the best for modern science. And I don't think I'd use the recommendations in the Well Trained Mind for science either, particularly if it looks like he might end up in a math/science field.)

But the important thing is not to panic. You can start adding one thing at a time, probably starting with the things he's most interested in so as to keep him engaged.

If you have a list of the courses you'd like him to take, you can get a lot of suggestions on this forum for books and things to get.

Okay so a 10th grade STEM kid in IL where the state requires language arts, science, social studies, math, fine arts and health. And you would prefer independent learning but not online courses.

Is he college bound?

To start, while you are finalizing plans, get him reading and writing about what he is reading. Perhaps this book could be a starting point for him.

Incorporate a math as soon as you get one. Perhaps you would be interested in either Teaching Textbooksor MUS since they don't require you to teach.

Let him continue on exploring both art and music on the computer. Also let his computer science be an elective. It will give him an incentive to continue with school.

Consider Susan Wise Bauer's The History of the Ancient World for history. He can start there and work his way through the series during high school. He should write about what he is reading. I've this book in my Amazon cart to help with history through high school.

You'll need to find a science. Consider biology (with labs if he is college bound) for both science and health. I don't know if this link will help you but I've found it useful.

If his grammar skills are lacking a year long run through of Analytical Grammarshould get him caught up.

If he is college bound you might want to consider a writing program. There are several to pick from. My preference is Classical Writing, but it is not for everyone. But if you decide to go that direction there is a Homer for Older Beginners that he could do the rest of the is year, then pick up Herodotus in 11th grade.

Good luck with your homeschooling journey.

ETA: I don't suppose you have a copy of The Well-Trained Mind do you? My copy hasn't left my side in over a week since I'm working on high school planning.

definitely check out khan academy - free videos on tons of subjects including math, science and programming. also ck12 has free textbooks on line. those are quick-start. For english . . .idk, i used bravewriter's help for high school, half of it, with my son last year. written at the teen and very fun - lets them practice skills writing about what they are most passionate about. those are all secular cuz i'm secular, btw

Are there any community college options near you - esp for computer programming? If he was merely bored in high school, he might enjoy the step up and do better, esp if taking classes he likes (this would be for summer or fall of course).

Otherwise, since you are mid-year, I'd suggest keeping him in the main classes he's in. If Alg 2, pick the curriculum he tested into that with as long as he likes the style. What science? What history? For English I never did find a single curriculum I liked. We ended up with a hodgepodge of things we did - many classic books with online study guides, Wordly Wise for vocab and SAT/ACT review, and things like that. It worked.

Get your health credit out of the way. Since you don't mind Christian materials, Abeka worked for us. Used copies on e-bay were inexpensive and it was easy + informative.

A PE credit can be done too - is there a YMCA near you or other community sports type of thing? Couple actually doing something with learning about other sports (badminton, squash, etc).

Then you could look at Art or Music (or histories of each).

Any of those can get you through this year. Then do more real planning/strategizing, etc, for next year - based upon his goals.

We have probably already overwhelmed you.

Let's start with the Algebra 2, because at this age it is important to keep the math going. Can you son tell you which text he was using; what's on the cover? Then, which chapters has he covered? If he is using one of the standard public school texts, it shouldn't be hard for us to find you access to the book online where you can print copies of the chapters until you can locate an affordable book. There is also probably a syllabus somewhere that will help with assignments through the end of the year. This way, he will work with a text that he is familiar with and you won't be starting from scratch. When the year is over, you can decide where you want to go from there.

One thing I do is allow ds to "unschool" his computer class. He learns better without a structured curriculum. I treat it as an extra-curricular and allow time for it. He informally reports to me each week about what he is doing, he rotates between graphic design, digital editing, and programming. This allows him the freedom to explore without boundaries and I don't have to worry about a grade since it's an extra curricular.

One option for math would DerekOwens. We've not used his courses yet, but they get great reviews and I have them marked for pre-calc.

Welcome to homeschooling!

Michele,

Welcome. One more piece of information that might be helpful-what is your availability/interest for learning things with him? Are you interested in reading and learning along with him in language arts or science or math or history? I usually have to pick a few areas I will be more involved in and choose things he can do mostly on his own for the other, because I only have so much time(and others to teach).

mathwithoutborders.com is a math program on DVD that uses the texts that I like. I haven't used it because I can teach those courses myself, but the texts are good ones. You could back up to the beginning of Algebra 2, if needed, rather than back to Alg 1. I assume he has had geometry. I agree with the suggestions to get him reading and writing while you figure out a plan and you may decide to keep reading/writing as a large component of your plan.

Let us know what you have decided and we'll continue to help you fill in the rest. I think someone else mentioned that it would be helpful to know what classes he was in that you want to continue.

Welcome Michele!

I had good luck finding an online yahoo homeschool group for my state, it is a good place to find things to do, meet-ups, classes, field trips. You might want to go over to yahoo groups and trying searching for your State and "homeschool" -and then try your city/area.

you'll do fine, take a step back and tackle the important stuff first- Math is really a top subject, since it builds on itself. I have to warn you that we love to talk curricula/methods here...so don't let us overwhelm you. -Good advice to start with what he is using, but in my opinion, school textbooks have little instruction and rely on the teacher to teach it, so you might eventually want to look at texts that are more homeschool-parent friendly.

I have a 10th grader and a 12th grader right now, and have been all over the map with curriculum- I can't resist a good project/find. I just moved over to Oak Meadow and it might be something you would like, it's a text-book approach so it will be familiar, but it has projects and deep essay questions so it goes further. It looks expensive, but if you buy the syllabus from them, you can buy the textbooks used on amazon.

while you are figuring things out, I'd suggest that you tackle Math and then read a really good book together and discuss.

Thanks so much for all the info. He is college bound. He's been in a physical science class. We tried to keep him in that, but the school dist wouldn't work with us on it at all. In IL, students can attend part time but they were rigid about the wording of things and refused to let us continue pt. I decided it's not worth fighting.

I don't remember what else was asked. I'm on my kindle at the moment. When I get back to the computer I'll reply to specific questions if I didn't.

Thanks so much for all the info. He is college bound. He's been in a physical science class. We tried to keep him in that, but the school dist wouldn't work with us on it at all. In IL, students can attend part time but they were rigid about the wording of things and refused to let us continue pt. I decided it's not worth fighting.

For a Physical Science he can continue on his own from home, you might try DIVE. It is pretty easy to pick up and use independently.

Since you are looking for independent, I would agree with the suggestion of TT for math. I would expect he could jump right into Algebra 2 with it.

For English, you might look at Excellence in Lit. He could probably do the Introduction to Lit level in what is left of this school year. He may have already read some of the books, and that would be fine too, just drop those. There are writing assignments included and it will cover a full Language Arts credit.

What history was he doing in school? You might look at something like Notgrass because it is written to the student and he could just jump into the subject he was already taking (American HIstory, World History...)

There are many choices for computer programming. Coursera would be an easy place to start. MIT Open Courseware has a Python class.

Welcome to homeschooling. I hope you and your son enjoy the adventure. Take your time, don't panic. You'll find your feet soon enough.

Michele ~ I can't remember if I mentioned this before for Science or not, but I LOVE DIVE. (linked up thread) Since mine are younger than yours, I have only used it for Saxon Math, but it is so helpful for us. I'm not sure what we'll be using for HS, but DIVE is definitely on our list.

Dr. Shormann also has a k-12 plan on his website that you may find helpful.

http://www.diveintomath.com/course-schedules/

He wasn't in a history class this year. I think he was slated to have history next year? Or maybe it was government?

Thank you so much for all your help, everyone. I've looked at just about everything that's been linked! :thumbup1:

~Michele

Coming from ps, that's definitely strange. Our ps kids have history of some sort every year. If they opt out of getting 4 credits, they leave out senior year (when they only have to take 4 classes to have a "full" schedule).

For us, freshman year is 20th Century, sophomore year is World Civ, junior year is Gov't & Economics (half credit each), then senior year can be either AP Euro, History Seminar (current events discussions, etc), Psych, Soc, and possibly something else I'm forgetting.

Now I'm wondering what's "normal" elsewhere.

Since he's college bound if I'm remembering correctly, you might want to get a Gov't and/or Economics credit in to have something for this year. Notgrass makes both. We've used their Gov't and my boys learned a bit from it. We used a Teaching Company Economics class (videos with a few study guide questions). My oldest (current business major) said the TC class thoroughly covered everything in his Economics 101 class. Both are easier to do in a short period of time.

Here kids take American History 1, American History 2, Government (all of those are offered in regular and honors levels). Then they can take American History for college credit (accredited by local State U), Psychology or Sociology.

Three credits are required for graduation, so almost everyone takes first 3 years. Those that aren't college bound probably skip the fourth year, but it would be very odd to skip one of the first three years.

You'll note, World history is offered at our local high school - sigh.

Coming from ps, that's definitely strange. Our ps kids have history of some sort every year. If they opt out of getting 4 credits, they leave out senior year (when they only have to take 4 classes to have a "full" schedule).

For us, freshman year is 20th Century, sophomore year is World Civ, junior year is Gov't & Economics (half credit each), then senior year can be either AP Euro, History Seminar (current events discussions, etc), Psych, Soc, and possibly something else I'm forgetting.

Since he's college bound if I'm remembering correctly, you might want to get a Gov't and/or Economics credit in to have something for this year. Notgrass makes both. We've used their Gov't and my boys learned a bit from it. We used a Teaching Company Economics class (videos with a few study guide questions). My oldest (current business major) said the TC class thoroughly covered everything in his Economics 101 class. Both are easier to do in a short period of time.

It's not that strange. Social Sciences requirements vary greatly from state to state.

In our district, students take Global Studies 9, American Studies 10, and then are required to take a semester of Government and a semester of Economics either their junior or senior year.

It's not that strange. Social Sciences requirements vary greatly from state to state.

In our district, students take Global Studies 9, American Studies 10, and then are required to take a semester of Government and a semester of Economics either their junior or senior year.

What I found strange was that he's coming out of 10th grade with no history course at all. The courses may vary, but generally in 10th grade, kids are still taking something. In later years that tends to slack off as they pick more electives.

yeah, I homeschool through a public charter school and they only required World History and American History in hs, so two years would or could be without History.

I mentioned earlier that I really am impressed with Oak Meadow History, here is a link. It looks pricey at first, but you can buy their syllabus and then order the textbook used over at amazon, this is what I did. I have the World History and U.S. Government and I really like the set-up.

He had history in 8th and 9th, if I remember correctly. He was slated to have something in 11th. He said he could have taken it this year or next and he chose to do a different class this year.

yeah, I homeschool through a public charter school and they only required World History and American History in hs, so two years would or could be without History.

When public schools only require 2 years of "Social Studies" do the public colleges in these states also only require 2 credits? PA State colleges require 3 credits as per this website:

http://www.passhe.edu/answers/Pages/getstarted.aspx

Most schools I'm aware of require 3 credits. Do they just assume the college bound students will know this and take one as an elective? I'm truly curious. Our public school requirements tend to be slightly more stringent than our public college requirements (and these are less than many upper private colleges). I naively thought all states would be similar. Or are they similar and other states public colleges only require 2 credits?

For computer science I might suggest homeschool programming. I listened to the talk given by the writer of the material last year at the Cincinnati convention and was impressed. Each set comes with a programming book and a game programming book. My ds is working through the C# books right now. We really like it. Here is a link if you want to check it out:

http://www.homeschoolprogramming.com/

They currently have Visual Basic, C#, and Java sets.

Welcome aboard! Homeschooling high school is a fantastic journey with many rewards.

The requirements here in NYS seem to line up with a lot of the colleges requirements: 2 units Math (although if he is interested in Math or Science you probably want 4),2 units Science (same as with Math if there is an interest in Math and/or Science you probably want 4 units), 4 units Social Studies (1 American, 1/2 Government, 1/2 Economics and 2 electives), 1/2 unit health, 4 units English, 2 units physical ed, 1 unit Art/ Music and 3 electives (usually a foreign language and something else). A unit or credit in NYS is equal to 108 hours of instruction, most high school classes take more than this.

As for curriculum here is what we used for high school: Apologia Science (Christian based, easy to follow (at least for sd), labs can be done at home), Math Saxon, History BJU and then Bluestocking Guides for Economics and Justice, for English: Progeny Press or Novel Units Lit guides (sd was not a big reader so I chose books that I thought she would be interested in and/or lined up with History, we did about 4 a year), Movies as Literature, Jensen's Format Writing, Jensen's Vocabulary (Wordly Wise 3000 is also a great program), Abeka Health (I might choose something different next time around).

We pulled sd out mid 9th grade and it took some scrambling that first year and used a lot of Abeka that I received for free. We did not really like Abeka so it took a little research to find what worked for sd.

As for computer science the course listed above is supposed to be pretty good. You can also look into taking classes at a community college if there is one in your area. I know many of the high school kids around here do that.

The requirements here in NYS seem to line up with a lot of the colleges requirements: 2 units Math (although if he is interested in Math or Science you probably want 4),2 units Science (same as with Math if there is an interest in Math and/or Science you probably want 4 units), 4 units Social Studies (1 American, 1/2 Government, 1/2 Economics and 2 electives), 1/2 unit health, 4 units English, 2 units physical ed, 1 unit Art/ Music and 3 electives (usually a foreign language and something else). A unit or credit in NYS is equal to 108 hours of instruction, most high school classes take more than this.

When I do a quick search of the SUNY school requirements, those I've seen agree with Brockport's and require:

http://www.brockport.edu/admissions/101/freshman/index.html

"We understand that academic curriculums may vary from school to school. However, most students who enter Brockport today have:

• the equivalent of an Advanced Regents Diploma
  • 4 years of English
  • 3 years or more of Math, Sciences and Social Studies
  • 3 years or more of a foreign language
  • Additional electives as appropriate
  • Some college-level course work, including Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and college-affiliated programs such as Syracuse University Project Advance (SUPA)"

I did not have time to look at all of the places. I just chose one near the top. I honestly don't think most 4 year colleges will be happy to see just 2 years of science, math, or social studies from their applicants. (Just adding my two cents for future college-bound homeschooling parents.) Obviously, community college requirements and other 2 year places may differ.

Overall, I am still curious if any state that only requires two years to graduate high school actually is that low with their public 4 year colleges too.

When public schools only require 2 years of "Social Studies" do the public colleges in these states also only require 2 credits? PA State colleges require 3 credits as per this website:

http://www.passhe.ed...getstarted.aspx

Most schools I'm aware of require 3 credits. Do they just assume the college bound students will know this and take one as an elective? I'm truly curious. Our public school requirements tend to be slightly more stringent than our public college requirements (and these are less than many upper private colleges). I naively thought all states would be similar. Or are they similar and other states public colleges only require 2 credits?

I made a general/mish-mashed comment there, yeah, my public charter school only requires 1 year world history and 1 year American history and this year they required we take them in 10th and 11th grade to line up with state testing...but they also require 1 semester of U.S. Government and 1 semester of Economics and they are both considered under the Social Studies category - so then you'd have the proper amounts of credits.

We pulled DS out of PS mid-year of his Freshman year. Different reasons but I will say take your time and let him decompress from the situation. Don't panic and realize you have some time. We have struggled with the tension of letting him work independently vs with mom and dad. IMO the stuggle to work on their own is much harder for those who haven't been homeschooled their whole life. Read up on all of the choices-you will be happier if you spend some time looking at lots of curriculum and seeing what feels right for you and your son. We have really struggled with Language arts and have tried 3 different options before finally finding something both my son and I like. If I had one thing to do over it would be to do more research before I started spending money. There are lots of affordable options that don't require you to buy from one of the big curriculum sources. Start him off with lots of reading-you could give him biographies and historical fictions to start introducing him to history. (My kids struggle with reading and so we use lots of audible books). A neat intro into literature is a program called MovieLit. For someone who hasn't been exposed to lots of literature the idea of watching the movies and doing the reports might be a good starting point. I know I would have never read Pride and Prejudice if I hadn't seen the movie version with Lawrence Olivier. Daily Grammer is a free program that has easy daily exercises covering the parts of speech you could have him do while you figure out what works. I think you will get lots help on this forum. Good Luck!

I made a general/mish-mashed comment there, yeah, my public charter school only requires 1 year world history and 1 year American history and this year they required we take them in 10th and 11th grade to line up with state testing...but they also require 1 semester of U.S. Government and 1 semester of Economics and they are both considered under the Social Studies category - so then you'd have the proper amounts of credits.

That definitely sounds more like the norm, though I don't think most places say which year these courses have to be taken. That could easily change as more states develop more state testing.