Menu

Favorite frugal, simple meals?

Gentlemommy

I've noticed a lot of people trying hard to save money, or being forced to cut their food budget. I'm trying to do this myself, in order to save some extra money to use at our local used curriculum sale in May. ;-)

What are your favorite simple, frugal, and healthy meals?

One that I've made this week (twice! On the kids request!) is Lentil and vegetable stew. Both times I made it, it made a huge pot, enough for two meals for the four of us (dh was out of town this week). I think my huge pot of stew maybe cost $3-$4?

1/2 bag lentils

1/2 stick butter

Spices/herbs/seasonings you like-I used garlic, onion, salt, paprika, and cumin

-start lentils, spices, and butter together until butter is melted. Add in water, enough to cover lentils. Bring to a boil and then down to a simmer. Cook about 20-30 min.

2-3 cups of whatever vegetables you have on hand, chopped small. I had broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, Lima beans, carrots, spinach, potatoes, and sweet potatoes

-add in carrots first, as those take a bit longer. After lentils are almost done, add in other veggies. Cover pot. Usually takes 10-15 minutes to cook veggies.

1/2 cup of heavy cream, to add once everything is cooked (this is optional, but it really makes the stew taste yummy! If I didn't already have it, I would try milk or 1/2 and 1/2, or nothing)

Makes a nice, hearty, healthy, and filling stew. A loaf of crusty bread and butter on the side would be delicious!

So what are your favorite easy and cheap meals???

Pearl barley is a friend to my budget and my health -- and it is tasty and satisfying.

I cook a whole package in 1 or 2 pots of salted water according to the directions, carefully not over cooking it. I strain it, rinse it well, and let it it cool and dry a bit on a cookie sheet. Then I freeze it in meal-sized packages, and it becomes my favorite convenience starch and pasta substitute.

Try it with:

Butter and salt

Cheese whiz

Ranch dressing

Spaghetti sauce

Alfredo-type sauce

In broth soups

In sir fry or like 'fried rice'

With butter and brown sugar or syrup (for breakfast)

In meat casseroles

Our two favorites:

Spaghetti and eggs. Cook your spaghetti, drain, and set aside. Crack one egg per person plus one or two extras. Beat the eggs,melt a bit of butter in a nonstick skillet, and all the pasta. Once the pasta is reheated, pour the egg mixture over it and stir until the eggs are set. Sprinkle parmesan over it if desired.

Cabbage and noodles. Shred cabbage- more than you think you need- I use about 2/3 of a head of cabbage for four people. Slice an onion thinly. Saute the cabbage and onion in a bit of bacon grease of you have it, butter if you don't. Salt and pepper it, cover with a lid, cook slowly to soften but not brown. (I add a few slices of diced bacon if I have it). When it's done, add in cooked noodles and stir to combine. Serve in pasta bowls. Dd adds a touch of soy sauce to hers but I've never tried that.

If you buy store brand or on sale( or use dried beans and planning!), Taco Soup

It is VERY filling and satisfying. It keeps, reheats and freezes well. It transports for school or work lunches if you have a microwave.

Ground beef (or turkey or chicken)

Tomato sauce (large)

frozen corn (you could use canned, but I don't like canned)

Taco Seasoning

kidney beans and/or black beans

diced tomatoes

Water to consistency.

Mix. I usually put this in the crock pot, but you can of course simply cook it.

Serve options:

Sour cream

Shredded cheese

Tortilla chips

It would probably be good on polenta.

Frugal Chicken Pasta (I got the recipe from a website somewhere)

1 package egg noodles

1 can cream of chicken soup

leftover chicken ( I use very little)

Italian seasoning (though you could use whatever seasoning you like)

Cook the egg noodles while heating up the soup in another pan (add some water like you would for making soup). Add the seasoning and the chicken to the soup. When the egg noodles are done, drain and add to the soup and chicken. Stir, add more seasoning if you like, and that's it. The original recipe said to add leftover veggies to the noodles, too, but we only like our veggies raw for the most part.

$1 for the egg noodles

$0.80 for the cream of chicken

I think this is frugal.

I bake a whole chicken on day 1 and we eat some of that with a side and salad.

Day 2 i make chicken broth with the bones and some other pieces and whatever is near spoiling in the fridge (celery, onion, garlic). We eat whatever for dinner.

Day 3 i shred up the rest of the chicken and mix it with rice cooked in chicken broth and have a veggie on the side.

Oh, I could just hug you for starting this thread!

I'm about to have to run out the door, so might come back later and add more.

Kids LOVE homemader corndogs.

Cheap hot dogs (75 cents)

batter recipe from allrecipes.com

some sticks-- I use either craft sticks or kabob sticks-- I can get them super-cheap.

Under $2 for the whole family.

Breakfast for dinner is cheap-- pancakes (from scratch IS cheaper), eggs...

I'm in such a rut lately... I'll be watching this thread closely for good ideas! :D

I cook red beans in the crockpot, add a can of diced stewed tomatoes, add some cheap sausage, add some seasonings, and serve over rice.

I buy the sausage at $1 for a package, and either use a whole package or half a package plus some bacon grease. The cans of tomatoes are usually around 70 cents. Beans are less than $1.70 for a 1 lb package. Rice is $1 for a 1 lb bag. I can often get the beans and rice at lower prices in larger packages, but at those prices the meal would cost $4.50. Buying in bulk or at scratch and dent prices, it can be about $3 for a meal that includes meat.

We're having black eyed peas with cornbread and greens for dinner tonight. A 1 lb bag of BEPs, enough cubed ham from the freezer to season it (originally 99 cents/lb), 2 packages of cornbread mix @ 2 for 70 cents (sometimes I make this from scratch, sometimes not), a couple pounds of mustard @ 59 cents/lb (sub a couple cans of frenched beans when we haven't been to the store @ 50 cents/can), plus all the necessary seasonings.

Diced ham in the freezer is my secret weapon. We buy hams on sale, and as soon as we've had a couple meals from them, I cube them. I bag that up and stick it in the freezer. I use the ham bone for soup, of course. It is super quick to shake a bit of ham into my split pea soup or bean recipes or potato soup or heat it up and cook it into an omelette. Split pea soup is another favorite super cheap, super easy meal. Split peas go as low as 70 cents a pound, but I can always find them around $1/lb. A couple bags of split peas, some garlic powder, an onion, a potato, plus some ham. Enormous, cheap, filling meal that includes meat.

DH and one of my son's won't eat beans, so we rarely have them. That's the only thing they are picky about so I let it slide! A couple of winter favorites:

Pot pie:

Use any meat and veggies in the fridge, even leftovers. You don't need much meat at all.

homemade cream soup -- make a roux of flour and butter, stir in chicken broth and splash of milk slowly so it thickens.

Mix it all together win a casserole dish and top with your favorite biscuit recipe. I use more water in the biscuits than usual when mixing it up so it's a looser batter. Bake 375 for 45 minutes.

Scalloped tater casserole:

Make a cream sauce but melt 1/3 cup of cheese in it.

Slice potatoes thin. Place one layer taters in the casserole then top with 1/2 cup of ham or crumbled sausage and spinach or kale. Add second layer taters. Pour cream sauce over the top and top with another 1/3 cup cheese. 375 for 45 minutes or until taters are soft.

I love this thread! Our economic situation has definitely changed since my husband's stroke. I find that simpler, frugal cooking is often some of the healthiest, too. I'm going to try some of the recipes above!

In the meantime, here a few other things:

Day 1: I bake chicken breasts (or thighs or legs or whatever) and potatoes and carrots in the oven at 425 for one hour. (Flavored with a drizzling of olive oil or butter, paprika, salt and pepper. I make sure and bake a little extra chicken and more potatoes than we will likely eat. Serve with a salad or another veggie, and some good bread.

Day 2: I take the leftovers from the day before -- even if it's just one serving -- and add other veggies I might have. For example, a cup of frozen peas, a cup of frozen corn, even a cup of fresh broccoli. I cook the new veggies, chop whatever is left from the day before into bite-size pieces, and throw it together in a casserole dish. I make a cream sauce (first heat to bubbling a T of butter and flour, then add skim milk + chicken broth + a few spices), throw together a biscuit crust (half whole wheat is what I use), and bake for 1/2 hour at 350. Chicken pot pie!

Lentil Soup: We have this once every two weeks. I make a big pot for a dinner, and then the leftovers are good for lunch for a couple days. Early in the afternoon I put on a bag of dried lentils (after rinsing), add lots of water, a big can of whole tomatoes (which I chop into bite-size pieces), potatoes, and whatever veggies I have: carrots, spinach, onions, celery, whatever. Add some good flavoring: basil, salt and pepper, oregano. Sometimes I throw in a 1/4 cup of red wine if I happen to have it.

Quick black bean soup: 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained. 1 cup chicken broth. 1/2 cup salsa. 1/2 tsp. cumin. Puree everything and heat. You can sprinkle lots of things on top: grated cheese, chopped onions, tortilla chips, chopped tomatoes, sour cream. I usually double or triple this recipe. Sometimes I take some flour tortillas, brush with olive oil and a little flavoring (like paprika or cumin), and bake until crisp. I cut into triangles and serve them with the soup, along with carrot sticks.

Quick Vegetarian Upside-Down Pizza: In an ungreased cake pan place any veggies your family would like and has on hand: onions, olives, sliced tomatoes, broccoli, whatever. Drizzle a small jar of spaghetti sauce over all of it. Sprinkle 8 oz. mozzarella cheese on top of all of this. (Either grated or in thin slices.) Mix the crust separately: 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 T. olive oil, 1 cup flour (I use half ww and half white), 1/2 tsp. baking powder. Pour the crust mixture over the top and bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 30 minutes. This serves 4 (and would probably need to be made in a smaller cake pan. I double it and serve it in a regular sized cake pan).

my absolute favorite frugal meal here is pinto beans, collards, & corn bread. we live in the deep south :D

i also like tomato soup (from the can), i add milk and basil - it's a creamy tomato basil soup. we add grill cheese to it. super yummy.

lastly, brown rice, black beans, spinach & salsa stuffed in a whole wheat tortilla. super delicious and filling!

Another chicken recipe.

White chili

Cook a whole chicken in the crockpot. I do frozen overnight on low. Soak white beans overnight in a separate crock pot. In the morning switch out water on beans and turn to high.

Unplug chicken crockpot. After chicken cools enough to handle pull off meat and package for the refrigerator. Return chicken bones and skin to the crockpot. Add carrot, onion skins or pieces and celery tops plus a splash of vinegar to chicken pot. Fill crockpot with water and turn to low.

An hour or so before dinner. Strain broth. Add broth and chicken to beans. Whatever amounts seems good for your family. (We do a whole chicken and 2lbs dry beans to a 7qt crockpot, but we are a larger family.). Add green chilies or jalepenos (or both!) a little salt, cumin, and oregano plus some chopped onions to beans. Cook on low until dinner. Serve with shredded cheddar and chips. Healthy, filling, and cheap! If your family is smaller than ours you can separately package broth, beans, and chicken for other meals.

Chicken Sausage Pasta

1lb ground chicken

1.5 tsp salt

1.5 tsp ground fennel seed

2 tsp paprika

1.5 tsp minced garlic

1.5 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 Tbsp lemon juice or red wine vinegar

1 Jar pasta sauce

Angel hair or other pasta

2 Tablespoons butter (optional)

Parmesan cheese to top (optional)

Mix chicken and seasonings. Ideally let it sit for 12 hours in the fridge before browning, or brown right away. The cooked chicken sausage can be frozen for a quick dinner later. (I like to brown 3-4lbs at a time and freeze the extra.)

To the cooked chicken, add your favorite pasta sauce and some butter if you like. Cook the pasta, drain, and combine the pasta and the sauce. (If you don't mind a small complication... it helps to undercook the pasta by 1 minute and then finish cooking it in the sauce. But that's totally not necessary.) Serve with breadsticks, and top with parmesan if you have it.

Potato pancakes made with shredded potatoes, eggs, a touch of cheese and a little pancake batter. Topped with BBQ sauce or applesauce or pretty much anything.

Sauteed greens with baked beans.

Veggie curry

Phad Thai noodles with veggies and leftover meats. The ingredients needed are not expensive, last a long time and make a ton of batches.

Green curry sauce over brown rice and veggies

Aloo Gobi (basically just a nicely seasoned pan of cauliflower and potatoes.)

We're having black eyed peas with cornbread and greens for dinner tonight. A 1 lb bag of BEPs, enough cubed ham from the freezer to season it (originally 99 cents/lb), 2 packages of cornbread mix @ 2 for 70 cents (sometimes I make this from scratch, sometimes not), a couple pounds of mustard @ 59 cents/lb (sub a couple cans of frenched beans when we haven't been to the store @ 50 cents/can), plus all the necessary seasonings.

Diced ham in the freezer is my secret weapon. We buy hams on sale, and as soon as we've had a couple meals from them, I cube them. I bag that up and stick it in the freezer. I use the ham bone for soup, of course. It is super quick to shake a bit of ham into my split pea soup or bean recipes or potato soup or heat it up and cook it into an omelette. Split pea soup is another favorite super cheap, super easy meal. Split peas go as low as 70 cents a pound, but I can always find them around $1/lb. A couple bags of split peas, some garlic powder, an onion, a potato, plus some ham. Enormous, cheap, filling meal that includes meat.

There you go, eating weird again! ;)

Our quick, easy, go-to meal is chicken and rice casserole.

You need 4 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded

A pot of white rice, cooked

Chopped broccoli and carrots

A can of sliced mushrooms

Chopped onion

Two cans of cream of chicken soup (cream of mushroom works too)

Shredded cheddar

Throw everything except the cheddar in a big bowl and stir. Then spread into a casserole dish, top with cheddar, and cook on 350 for about 20-30 minutes.

We also add chopped red and green chiles but that is because our amah is Indian and she puts chilis in everything! :)

It explains why one of your kids loved my bean soup so much, while I have to beg some of my own kids to eat it!

We like a box of pasta cooked and served with a can of spaghetti sauce and a carton of cottage cheese mixed and heated. Then serve with green beans and bread.

Another is anything folded into a homemade pizza crust to make a stromboli. Just add whatever veggies, meat, a little cheese and some kind of sauce, fold over crust and bake. Maybe I'll try adding kale next time. Saw it at the store on sale today and thought of you beaners.

This is very filling and our family loves it:

Ground beef/onions/and green peppers(or not) cook and drain.

Add 3 cans pork and beans

one 8 oz can tomato sauce

2 Tbsp brown sugar

2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce

squirt of mustard

Cook until heated through. Can use bacon, but that is not frugal and we like it just as well without.

Frugal will depend on your area. Make the most of what you have readily available to you.

Pasta carbonara.

-a few slices pancetta

-garlc

-cream

-eggs

-parsley from the garden

-pasta

Cook up the pasta and in a separate pan, the pancetta, adding the minced garlic when it's about half through. Remove excess fat if there is any, then add fully cooked pasta straight from the pot, and the beaten eggs and cream mixture. Toss lightly until eggs are set.

Soup and baguette sandwiches:

Whatever soup you like (we prefer a simple potato or french onion)

-baguette

-arugula

-ham

-tomato

-onion

Slice the baguette lengthwise, top with ham, tomato, onion, and arugula. Put top back on and wrap tightly in tinfoil. Bake while warming soup.

Chicken salad

-various salad components (spinach, arugula, onion, dates, apples, mushrooms, peppers...)

-one chicken breast

-baguette

Make the salad, add a light, sweet vinegrette, top with chicken slices. Serve with bread on the side.

I make a dish I ate a lot in Spain that many Spaniards ate all the time. It is super frugal and you will lick the plate. Slice up a couple pounds of potatos, a large onion, and a bellpepper. Saute all of these in a generous amount of oil until the potatos are brown. Use lots of salt to taste. When the veggies are done crack about 5 eggs into the pan and saute everything until the eggs are cooked. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread.