Menu

My 9yo has shingles

Lara in Colo

Went to the Dr today to have a rash dx and they couldn't figure it out and sent us to Children's.

Four hours in the waiting room with every sick child on the planet, four minutes in the little room and....shingles.

She had the vaccine, she hasn't been around any sick children that I know of.

They said this rare, but children with normal immune systems can get shingles.

They will check her WBC count just in case, but she is most likely fine.

Weird.

Lara (who drove 30 miles, waited 4 hours, and has at least one more to go)

It's no biggie in little kids. She should be just fine in no time. If she even has symptoms other than the rash. Really weird that your doc couldn't ID it. It's usually almost a straight line, on one side of the body only, and it follows a nerve.

well this is all down her leg, mostly on the top of the upper leg. But it goes from her buttock, around to the front and down to her knee.

According to the 1st Dr, it was crossing nerve boundries, according the ER Dr, the nerve sort of curves around the leg.

Yeah, if it's that bottom nerve in the spinal column (which is what it sounds like), it can move down the leg a bit. But it shouldn't cross her spine to the other side of her body. It looks like chicken pox blisters though, right?

Yeah, looks like the right stuff, and they took a culture to see which strand, so we will know for sure.

gotta go home now---yea!!!

I had shingles when I was about six or seven. I don't remember a lot from my childhood, but I do remember how painful that was. I had it on my right side on my ribs, right below my breast area. It took a long time for it to go away, too. I remember that because I had outgrown my favorite (empire waist) shirt by the time I could comfortably wear it again :). I actually still have scars but no one ever sees them because of the location (under my droopy bOOks). Lol.

Hope healing comes fast in your home.