Menu

Couch that will fit down narrow stairs to basement.

ksr5377

We have the perfect basement for finishing, except for the impossible stairway. Actually, it's more like the weird two doors you go through before the stairway. We really want to have a comfy couch down there, so I was thinking a sectional might be easier because of the many pieces. So I was wondering if anyone had the same issue and found a cough that was a winner. Do Ikea couches come in pieces?

A futon comes to mind. The frames usually fold up and are easier to move.

Our favorite couch of all time was a papasan couch, like the round chairs only seating 3 people. We called it the terminator because everyone who sat in it fell asleep, they were so comfortable. I still miss that couch!

Most moderately priced sofas come apart and can be reassembled in a space pinch. I learned this because we bought a townhouse. Just take the thin fabric cover off the bottom and look around. There should be bolts you can undo. The big piece of the sectional we had popped apart into 4 pieces- back, seat and arms. I wouldn't mess with a super nice or well made piece but it was fine for ours and we just stapled the fabric back on.

We have a flexsteel that fit through our narrow door (it's 32" rather than 36"). We also had a lazy boy w/ recliners on each end before that. You just have to really shop around to find ones that will fit. Good luck!

We also have a Lazy Boy full size sofa with dual recliners, and it fit down our basement stairs. Our stairs are tricky, because they turn halfway down. You just need to measure really well first. Good luck!

We had the same problem, and actually had to send a couch back and get a refund after the delivery guys tried all different ways to get it down the stairs (our stairs turn halfway down - it wouldn't go around the corner). And yes, we measured but not well enough. :o We just decided to slipcover our old couch that was already down there, and bought two armchairs to go with it.

Looks like you've received some good advice already. Good luck!

our Ikea sectional is 3 pieces that fit together with giant like hook and eyes, so easy. Whenever I want to move the sectional, I just remove the cover, unhook the pieces, move them and rehook. I do this by myself, so easy. Also very sturdy, my family is hard on furniture and the sectional has never unhooked by accident .