Menu

Weight lifting/ working out and weight gain???

GinaPagnato

I've been slowly but surely losing some weight--diligently exercising everyday and keeping calories to 1200-1300 per day. I dropped 5 pounds over the month of January, but this week have crept up 1.5 pounds! I have not cheated a single bit. How do you account for this? The only thing I can think is that I've been weight lifting seriously for the first time in my life, and maybe this is muscle??? I don't know, seems like a lame excuse, but what else could the reason be?

I know my clothes are fitting better, I'm getting stronger, and my endurance is increasing. These are all so, so important. I get that. I just really want to see the scale move in the opposite direction, too. Help!

Definitely not hormonal--I'm in menopause. But, I do hope it's due to muscle-building. I kicked around the idea that I may need to eat a bit more so my body doesn't try to hang on to every calorie, especially with the intense workouts. I'm just not sure I want to try that since I've been on such a roll.

Dh tells me to put the scale away and go by how I feel. Problem is, I did that for several years and without the accountability of at least a weekly weigh-in, I slipped into denial and my weight slipped up, up, and away! :o

I've been slowly but surely losing some weight--diligently exercising everyday and keeping calories to 1200-1300 per day. I dropped 5 pounds over the month of January, but this week have crept up 1.5 pounds! I have not cheated a single bit. How do you account for this? The only thing I can think is that I've been weight lifting seriously for the first time in my life, and maybe this is muscle??? I don't know, seems like a lame excuse, but what else could the reason be?

I know my clothes are fitting better, I'm getting stronger, and my endurance is increasing. These are all so, so important. I get that. I just really want to see the scale move in the opposite direction, too. Help!

This is typical. Scale is only a compass.

Sometimes weight lifting (especially when you're new to it) can cause your muscles to retain water. Seriously, you're doing all the right things, although 1200 is on the low end, so if you stay stalled out for more than a month or so, consider adding some calories. Get lots of protein so you'll retain muscle! I have been working out (weights and cardio) for almost six months very consistently. I have lost an average of 2 lbs. a month, but I look different and I'm down two jean sizes. I also don't lose consistently; the scale doesn't budget for 2-3 weeks, then I lose 1-2 lbs. within a week. So don't worry so much about the scale. Try taking measurements, or just some pictures of yourself once a month. Be patient! You are doing great!