Menu

I have a writing curriculum suggestion for those with struggling writers

I am in the process of writing a writing curriculum and have been reading various other writing programs as I create my own.

One that is inexpensive, readily available used, and has research proving its effectiveness is "Reasoning and Writing: A Direct Instruction Program."

I purchased Level E which states it is suitable for middle school and focuses on alternative explanations, parallelism, and general vs. specific. It is more appropriate for remedial students that are struggling.

It covers basic (very basic) grammar, dictation, and writing skills.

I think I pd under $20 for both the TE and the student book.

ETA: I searched for a link to post and I guess what I purchased was a rarity. All of the IG's that I am finding are new and are $100. Sorry if I gave anyone false hopes. :( The textbooks are available cheap and used everywhere, though. You can NOT teach this program without the teacher's materials. Sorry.

HTH someone.

I just received Rhetoric in the Classical Tradition today and had already received The Lively Art of Writing. I am so grateful for these resources and will have my work cut out for me this year and next with these on my nightstand and Henle as well (and French too but I may just have to hire a tutor for that :001_smile:). I will look into this as well. Thank you for all of your suggestions and maybe your writing program will be available for dd5 by the time she needs it.

I am in the process of writing a writing curriculum and have been reading various other writing programs as I create my own.

One that is inexpensive, readily available used, and has research proving its effectiveness is "Reasoning and Writing: A Direct Instruction Program."

I purchased Level E which states it is suitable for middle school and focuses on alternative explanations, parallelism, and general vs. specific. It is more appropriate for remedial students that are struggling.

It covers basic (very basic) grammar, dictation, and writing skills.

I think I pd under $20 for both the TE and the student book.

ETA: I searched for a link to post and I guess what I purchased was a rarity. All of the IG's that I am finding are new and are $100. Sorry if I gave anyone false hopes. :( The textbooks are available cheap and used everywhere, though. You can NOT teach this program without the teacher's materials. Sorry.

HTH someone.

Reasoning and Writing is published by SRA. It is highly sought after by professional tutors. All the DI (Direct Instruction) materials are hard to find used and expensive. By the way, their spelling program, Spelling Mastery/Spelling through Morphographs is the best, best, best remedial spelling program available.

I bought Spelling through Morphographs student book this summer very, very cheaply. I looked through it and it is very similar in approach to Apples and Pears. After comparing the student book to A&P I decided that $250 for the TM for Spelling through Morphographs was too much and am sticking with A&P.

Too bad about the Reasoning and Writing teacher materials though. It is a good approach for remedial students. Though, I guess $100 for the IGs really isn't that expensive when compared to the prices of materials like CW, etc.