Menu

Any Waldorf users out here? ? for you - Math by hand

momsuz123

So, I am in year 2 of hsing. Using TWTM for most everything. My middle dd is a very hands on Right brain learner. I got intrigued by a post on living books. She loves LOF, but I am interested in Math by Hand from the Sacramento Home School. I know NOTHING about Waldorf though, so I don't know if I want to even go down this road. Any thoughts? Any other Waldorf people out there who are doing something they love?

I'm heading further and further down the road into anthroposophcal & biodynamic spirituality land, so I am probably no help. Their are a number of people who have done Math by Hand threads if you search though. It wouldn't be good if you were not into crafty things, or need a "set out" curriculum, or disliked manipulatives, I believe someone also said something about weird font. It leads in the way of Kitchen Table Maths and similar in that it has "subjects" of maths, and not a set out lesson by lesson curriculum (although I think someone said she was looking into that)

If your looking for a set out curriculum, but don't mind the fussiness of setting up and lots of manipulatives, Right Start Maths is a possibility. Perhaps if looking for a cheaper alternative along the lines of Math by Hand, look at Gnomes & Gnumbers (free I think, at least it will give you an idea) or A Little Garden Flowers Math. Then if you like those, it would give you a better understanding of whether you wanted to purchase Math By Hand or not.I

I am not against them (quite the opposite, I am in love with it and looking to purchase it as another supplement alongside the rest of my waldorf maths) but I know what I would be getting, I just don't want you shelling out the $$$ without understanding waldorf maths. :)

HTH xxx