Menu

Those who had their federal returns accepted early....

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

have you checked your bank accounts? (If you got a refund and went with Direct Deposit, I mean.)

I got that early acceptance and the Where's My Refund tool told me I'd see my refund on the fourth. I was pretty psyched to see Monday be the day!

And then I logged in this morning to see if the landlord had taken out his rent check yet (he hadn't, but who here is surprised by this?) and.... my refund is there!!!!

Go go go! Check it!

Guest inoubliable

Mine was accepted on the 26th. On the 30th, the WMR (Where's My Refund) site said "within 21 days", yesterday it said that it would be deposited on the 4th, and today it's saying the same. But USAA says it's here. Pending still, so I'm afraid to actually use it until it posts. But USAA never shows anything pending for me, not even direct deposited paychecks until the day it's going to post. I'm assuming, then, that it'll post tonight. But it's available now.

Mine hasn't been accepted yet because we're claiming "education deductions" for our college students and our refund is substantial. Nice. Yet we still owe the state money (which we won't turn in until April 15th). Very irritating. Apparently they aren't accepting any returns with deductions that will result in large refunds. I guess they can't write the checks for them. Sigh....

Guest inoubliable

Mine hasn't been accepted yet because we're claiming "education deductions" for our college students and our refund is substantial. Nice. Yet we still owe the state money (which we won't turn in until April 15th). Very irritating. Apparently they aren't accepting any returns with deductions that will result in large refunds. I guess they can't write the checks for them. Sigh....

I don't think it has anything to do with large refunds or the money to pay them out...

Form 8863 is what you're probably waiting on to claim the education deductions. The form isn't available yet.

http://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/2013/01/28/irs-update-for-form-8863-education-tax-credits

http://blog.sfgate.com/pender/2013/01/29/tax-seasons-rough-start-gets-bumpier/

Blame Congress.

I don't think it has anything to do with large refunds or the money to pay them out...

Form 8863 is what you're probably waiting on to claim the education deductions. The form isn't available yet.

http://blog.turbotax...ion-tax-credits

http://blog.sfgate.c...t-gets-bumpier/

Blame Congress.

Oh, I do!!! :D I sent mine in with Turbo Tax, so I have no idea what they do with it or what forms they use. My own ignorance. LOL I'm glad to here it's only a form problem and not a "hmm, how on earth are we going to get this chick her money?" problem. Hoping our government gets its act together soon. I want my money!!! Curriculum is calling!!

I haven't even started mine yet - been too busy doing the estimated FAFSA for college. But....could you give me a heads up on the substantial education deductions - I have a college freshman this year.

Thanks,

Myra

Guest inoubliable

Oh, I do!!! :D I sent mine in with Turbo Tax, so I have no idea what they do with it or what forms they use. My own ignorance. LOL I'm glad to here it's only a form problem and not a "hmm, how on earth are we going to get this chick her money?" problem. Hoping our government gets its act together soon. I want my money!!! Curriculum is calling!!

LOL. I filed with TT, too. I saw a LOT of angst on their forums over that particular form. :( I hope they get it all processed as quickly as they can. I'm sitting here trying to price out curricula for next year (who am I kidding? I still need to pick up a few things to finish out THIS year!) and now I'm stressing over the Amazon quirk!

I haven't even started mine yet - been too busy doing the estimated FAFSA for college. But....could you give me a heads up on the substantial education deductions - I have a college freshman this year.

Thanks,

Myra

They can give you up to $2500 per student. It depends. I have two college students, plus a mess of other deductions for other stuff, so I'm getting a nice chunk of change back. I :001_wub: my college student deductions!!

I haven't bothered to file yet since they won't accept college deductions or credits until the 15th of February and we will be getting that. I have barely started. It is so much more complicated for me this year because only in late Dec did I realize we spent enough on medical expenses to deduct some of them. Now I have to figure out how many miles driving we did- every visit to the pharmacy is at least a 1.25 deduction. THe doctors are more in the driving since they are all further away. Then there are the driving to a hospital over 2 hours away that I have to figure and find all my receipts for the two trips to Florida we made, including hotels, car rentals,etc.

I never thought we did enough medical expenses to deduct since they have to be over 7.5% of your income. Well now I realize how come we have been having such a tougher time than we were expecting.

When was yours accepted? Ours was accepted yesterday. The 'where's my refund' only states that it will be there by 21 working days.

This is our boat. Dh's work doesn't send out tax stuff till the 30th so we just got ours in. We have so many repairs and such that the sooner we get that money the better.

Great that so many of you are getting refunds. Enjoy. Possibly reduce your withholding, so the government doesn't have the use of your money, tax free.

I use TaxACT, which includes all forms the I.R.S. permits to be efiled. For those of you who need to do the FAFSA, the TaxACT software has help, to make it easier for you to prepare that form.

I'm waiting on a 1099 and I will need to pay Self Employment tax, so I'm in no hurry to file....

Hopefully, all of you will receive your refunds quickly.

Great that so many of you are getting refunds. Enjoy. Possibly reduce your withholding, so the government doesn't have the use of your money, tax free.

I know we SHOULD do that. My Dad always griped about his interest free loan to the government. But when we were first married and really hard off we got a whopper of a tax bill that just about broke us being paid. It really freaked us out, so now Dh claims married with zero dependents just out of fear of getting whalloped again. He figures he'd rather have more taken out each pay period and have it become a habit we live with than take the chance of a huge once a year payment.

One of these days we'll grow up and take that advice though.

We were waiting for our W2, wich we finally got yesterday. Only to find out that it was wrong. Now we have to wait until Feb. 14th to get it. I am a bit miffed at my dh company. Needless to say! :bored:

Our W2 has been wrong for two years. Last year, it took dh's workplace 2 MONTHS to get the corrected form to us. They assure us it won't happen again. We don't have it yet. And, we're still waiting on 1099s too.

I know we SHOULD do that. My Dad always griped about his interest free loan to the government. But when we were first married and really hard off we got a whopper of a tax bill that just about broke us being paid. It really freaked us out, so now Dh claims married with zero dependents just out of fear of getting whalloped again. He figures he'd rather have more taken out each pay period and have it become a habit we live with than take the chance of a huge once a year payment.

One of these days we'll grow up and take that advice though.

I fully understand why you and your DH do it this way. No way that I want to risk problems with the I.R.S. or the equivalant here in Colombia. I file, I pay, and they are happy, so I am happy....