Menu

What can you tell me about kid show "BEN 10"?

bridgette

My mother-in-law kept my nephew for an hour yesterday while I went grocery shopping and when I got there to pick him up (he was spending the night at my house), he was watching the last 2 minutes of a show called BEN 10 (he had watched it the hour while I was gone according to his grandma). He was nervous all day (after watching it) and I could tell that it upset him. (His parents don't get cable/satellite so the only thing he watches is WILD KRATZ). I called his mom and she said he's never seen it and so I was curious about this show. It was the only show he watched while there. He's age 6. That night he acted scared (he never does this when he is at our house) and he said that it was the show. It's a no-brainer that he's not going to watch it again since it caused such a reaction, but I'm just curious....

What can you tell me about it?

For what age is it appropriate (if at all appropriate)?

Any issues of concern?

My ds used to watch this when he was little, definitely by the time he was 8. (He dressed as one of the characters that year.) I am asking ds, and he says he can't think of why a 6 year old would be scared by the show. My son was pretty sheltered but watched Star Wars-type things, and the Batman Beyond and Pokemon cartoons, just to give you an idea what he was used to.

So :confused1: .

I can't imagine what would have scared him about it. :confused:

My kids started watching it when they were probably... 3 or 4? And that was Link. Astro just watched along. They were never the slightest bit affected by it. Pink hasn't been, either, and she's my kid who would be affected by things she thinks are 'scary'.

It's actually a show we really like around here. :) Astro still loves it even though we haven't seen the most recent episodes. :) It's a good one!

My DS (age 9) just discovered this show recently. We had checked out some of the Ben 10 books from the library previously, so that's how he became interested in it. He's only watched one or two episodes so far, and I didn't watch them with him the entire time, but the show seems pretty benign to me. It's about a kid who can turn himself into different types of aliens in order to fight evil aliens. But the aliens don't seem scary IMO.

there is ben 10, ben 10 alien force, ben 10 omniverse, and a couple of others i *think*. my son likes some of them a lot, but he said others are more intense than other episodes. maybe he was watching one that was a little more intense? if he is sensitive and only 6, i'd say it just isn't a good show for him. my daughter was afraid of scooby doo at 6. we just didn't watch it. she is still pretty sensitive about shows sometimes. it's no biggie, we just stay within her comfort level.

My son was terrified of the Brave Little Toaster movie but loved Ben 10 at about age 6-8. I think it is mostly harmless and not much different than the Justice League I watched as a kid. I don't recall Ben ever getting hurt, the violence isn't graphic- just Batman style bam, pow crash scenes. I don't know....I think DS found it empowering that a kid didn't need to be scared. There was a little sass back and forth between the aliens and Ben and his sister and him have a bratty relationship in the first series, but overall it's tame.

I think the older kid series are darker and I didn't encourage my kids to watch them. They are slower and not as interesting for younger kids so they quit on their own.