Menu

History of Us OR American Odyssey

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to decide btw the two of these....Can anyone help me?

I would like to use this with my 7th grader when she is finished with SL G. I would like to include it in with our SOTW readings (in SL H) as we go along.....( I may have to start one of the american series before she is finished with SOTW 2 but I can't be certain on the dates and I'm to lazy right now to go check.)

We are pretty sure as of now that she will attend our public high school and she really wants to learn world and american before that. She is my history buff!!

Any advice would be so helpful!

Thank you in advance!

I have both and vastly prefer History of US. American Odyssey is great as far as textbooks go, but it still very much has the feel of a textbook. For a history buff, HoU is great because of all the vivid detail. However, for a 7th grader, I would give her one of the books and see if she likes the conversational writing style. Some love it, and some hate it. I wouldn't want to invest in the set or even start planning only to find out she hates it.

I chose American Odyssey for dd next year for a few reasons:

--it's written at a higher level than History of US

--dd doesn't like the crowded-looking format of History of US (American Odyssey has sidebars, pictures, and maps too but there is a lot more text on each page because the pages are larger)

--we have used Human Odyssey from the same publisher for the past three years of world history and I've read here that American Odyssey is just as good as Human Odyssey. We've had great success with Human Odyssey.

--I could buy Human Odyssey for much less than History of US (I didn't want to rely on the library for History of US)

I have both of these and love them both. For a middle schooler, I think History of Us is great, for same reasons that other posters indicated. It tells the stories of U.S. history in an interesting away. For a traditional high school course, I love American Odyssey for its clarity.

I chose American Odyssey for dd next year for a few reasons:

--it's written at a higher level than History of US

--dd doesn't like the crowded-looking format of History of US (American Odyssey has sidebars, pictures, and maps too but there is a lot more text on each page because the pages are larger)

--we have used Human Odyssey from the same publisher for the past three years of world history and I've read here that American Odyssey is just as good as Human Odyssey. We've had great success with Human Odyssey.

--I could buy Human Odyssey for much less than History of US (I didn't want to rely on the library for History of US)

Thanks for the breakdown! Do you have a certain website that shows the inside of the AOdyssey book? I'd love to show my dd so she can compare it to History of US.

;)

• 1 month later...

Okay, so for the past month or so I've been thinking, thinking about our decisions on homeschooling for high school. We (husband, dd, and myself) have decided to not attend public school for high and tackle homeschooling. So, as I had mentioned above, dd will finish up SL G (SOTW 1-2) very soon. I have a feeling she is going to want to move directily into SOTW 3-4....we are adding in some of SL's suggestions but I won't be buying the IG this time. So, I found History of US set of books for a steal at our homeschool store. I just now found K12 American Odyssey on the classifieds for $25.....I just got it in today! It looks like an awesome read!! I'm back to where I started from the get go. (But this time I have the books in front of me and can touch them) I am unsure if I want to add American History (Hakim or AO) with SOTW 3-4. I don't want it to be too much reading in history on my dd's part. I will be getting the SOTW audios too so she could just listen (she likes to follow along with the book) and then we just add in American as we go along? Would it just be smoother and more in depth if she just does a year of only American for 9th instead of tying it in with World for 8th? Uhhhh! The decisions are driving me crazy!! I know she really wants to study American History some kind of bad....she has been listening to her sister and brother's AH this year! She is LOVING SOTW though!! Can anyone help me, please!

Btw: Has anyone used a guide to go along with K12 American Odyssey?

Thank you!

Okay, so for the past month or so I've been thinking, thinking about our decisions on homeschooling for high school. We (husband, dd, and myself) have decided to not attend public school for high and tackle homeschooling. So, as I had mentioned above, dd will finish up SL G (SOTW 1-2) very soon. I have a feeling she is going to want to move directily into SOTW 3-4....we are adding in some of SL's suggestions but I won't be buying the IG this time. So, I found History of US set of books for a steal at our homeschool store. I just now found K12 American Odyssey on the classifieds for $25.....I just got it in today! It looks like an awesome read!! I'm back to where I started from the get go. (But this time I have the books in front of me and can touch them) I am unsure if I want to add American History (Hakim or AO) with SOTW 3-4. I don't want it to be too much reading in history on my dd's part. I will be getting the SOTW audios too so she could just listen (she likes to follow along with the book) and then we just add in American as we go along? Would it just be smoother and more in depth if she just does a year of only American for 9th instead of tying it in with World for 8th? Uhhhh! The decisions are driving me crazy!! I know she really wants to study American History some kind of bad....she has been listening to her sister and brother's AH this year! She is LOVING SOTW though!! Can anyone help me, please!

Btw: Has anyone used a guide to go along with K12 American Odyssey?

Thank you!

I have been going through the same dilemma with middle school and American history. I finally decided to do American history next year and just listen to SOTW on the side. I'm not going to try to line it up. We will just study Am hist. straight through and listen to SOTW whenever we have the time. I might make sure we put the SOTW stuff in out timeline to make sure dd is following how things line up.

Hakim or K12. for a 7th grader... I could go either way really. I have both. I got the K12 book this year for a very good price and I really like it. I have owned the Hakim series for a couple years. We are in year 3 of a 4 year history cycle and have been using the Hakim books where needed. I have to say that as we have moved through 7th grade they seem a little bit young for my son. However, he really likes them and seems to retain quite a bit. I have bought a couple of the teaching guides and use the discussion questions. They are pricy but like having them.

As far as I know there is no printed guide for K12 American Odyssey.

I have both History of US and American Odyssey, too. I've decided to do AO, because HO has worked so well for us for the past two years. I wish I'd found it for 5th, because we kind of drifted a bit for ancients. The only guide for AO that I know of is through K12, and its only available if you enroll - it's all online. I bought the guides for HO, but ended up not really using them at all, because they felt like busywork. We read each chapter, then the kids outline on their own. Dd 5th does a one level, while ds 7th does a two to three level. We put dates on a timeline and choose people or topics to write a short summary about. We don't do much map work, but we are using a separate world geography this year.

If you are about to finish SOTW 1-2, could you start SOTW 3-4 now as an audio book (you mentioned you were getting the audio, too)? Maybe as just an audio you could get it finished before you need to start AO in the fall? I don't know anything about your schedule, so maybe that wouldn't work for you, but I know we can go through SOTW pretty quickly in the car alone.

I have gone through AO, and I think it's going to take a good amount of time to cover, as it has 41 chapters, I believe. I'm not sure I would want the distraction of SOTW at the same time. Of course, I'm going to have a 6th grader tagging along with my 8th grader, which makes my situation a bit different. Also, I think having the overview of SOTW completed before American History might be helpful. Just my perspective!

Hakim or K12. for a 7th grader... I could go either way really. I have both. I got the K12 book this year for a very good price and I really like it. I have owned the Hakim series for a couple years. We are in year 3 of a 4 year history cycle and have been using the Hakim books where needed. I have to say that as we have moved through 7th grade they seem a little bit young for my son. However, he really likes them and seems to retain quite a bit. I have bought a couple of the teaching guides and use the discussion questions. They are pricy but like having them.

As far as I know there is no printed guide for K12 American Odyssey.

Which guides do you use for Hakim books? Do you have any links for those? Thank you!

I have both History of US and American Odyssey, too. I've decided to do AO, because HO has worked so well for us for the past two years. I wish I'd found it for 5th, because we kind of drifted a bit for ancients. The only guide for AO that I know of is through K12, and its only available if you enroll - it's all online. I bought the guides for HO, but ended up not really using them at all, because they felt like busywork. We read each chapter, then the kids outline on their own. Dd 5th does a one level, while ds 7th does a two to three level. We put dates on a timeline and choose people or topics to write a short summary about. We don't do much map work, but we are using a separate world geography this year.

If you are about to finish SOTW 1-2, could you start SOTW 3-4 now as an audio book (you mentioned you were getting the audio, too)? Maybe as just an audio you could get it finished before you need to start AO in the fall? I don't know anything about your schedule, so maybe that wouldn't work for you, but I know we can go through SOTW pretty quickly in the car alone.

I have gone through AO, and I think it's going to take a good amount of time to cover, as it has 41 chapters, I believe. I'm not sure I would want the distraction of SOTW at the same time. Of course, I'm going to have a 6th grader tagging along with my 8th grader, which makes my situation a bit different. Also, I think having the overview of SOTW completed before American History might be helpful. Just my perspective!

Thank you for your help! I think I'm coming to the conclusion that this might be our best way to go. DD suggested she use SOTW on 3 days a week instead of 2. She has been reading 2 chapters a week. (1 Chapter per history day) I haven't looked at the SOTW 3 or 4 yet to get an idea if we can finish that by the end of summer. I'm pretty sure she could....but she does add so much to the reading than just "reading/listening". She loves doing the activities and she maps, timelines, ...etc. This would set us up to just study AH for 8th grade, which I think she is looking forward to do before High School! Thanks again!