Menu

Has Amazon discontinued their buy 3, get the 4th free?

Disney Dreaming

Guest inoubliable

Odd. Some books on my wishlist for next school year were very definitely on the 4-for-3 promotion and now aren't. Instead, some of them are offering a $5 Amazon MP3 credit if you buy $50 or more in textbooks. I guess they're pushing their MP3/cloud storage thing?

I'm not too happy with Amazon right now anyway. They've always had excellent customer service, but I had a bad experience with them last week. I'm probably going to start doing much more of my shopping through Book Depository or Better World Books instead.

I'm having trouble finding any. I had a wish list for 4 for 3 and I'm not seeing any that have the discount. The Amazon site is really slow for me right now, sometimes even getting errors. Not sure what's going on over there. It looks like 4 for 3 is still running in their kids books website bookworm.com. But they don't have Prime shipping, just free if it's over $50. :(

Amazon site seems to be down. I get children's books directly from Amazon. Is bookworm affiliated with Amazon? The bookworm site doesn't indicate that anywhere that is obvious to me (but I didn't sleep much last night).

OMG!

I just looked at Childhood of Famous Americans series and Crabtree's Rivers Around the World series. Almost all of these have been 4 for 3, and now they are not. And the price is the same -- I checked my old Amazon emails.

I sure hope it's a temporary glitch.

I sent them an email.

Odd. Some books on my wishlist for next school year were very definitely on the 4-for-3 promotion and now aren't. Instead, some of them are offering a $5 Amazon MP3 credit if you buy $50 or more in textbooks. I guess they're pushing their MP3/cloud storage thing?

I'm not too happy with Amazon right now anyway. They've always had excellent customer service, but I had a bad experience with them last week. I'm probably going to start doing much more of my shopping through Book Depository or Better World Books instead.

Book Dep is owned by Amazon. ;) But I've ordered from them dozens of times and never had any problems.

Guest inoubliable

Book Dep is owned by Amazon. ;) But I've ordered from them dozens of times and never had any problems.

Noooooooooo! (Really, click it!)

It's like they're becoming the Walmart of the internets. :(

Guest inoubliable

I have dozens of books in my wishlist that qualified for the buy 3 get the 4th promotion. I just checked and the promotion seems to have totally disappeared.

Me too. :( This means a serious, hard look at my homeschool funds for the upcoming year.

I just had a box of books delivered from Amazon yesterday, all bought using the buy-three-get-fourth-free promotion. But I just checked their website and don't see it listed for the books I bought. I do remember last year when it wasn't offered for a few days - don't know if it was a glitch or what.

Guest inoubliable

I just searched "4-for-3 promotion" and got over 150,000 results. Maybe it was a glitch earlier today?

Yes, but if you click on the books listed there, you see that the 4-for-3 promotion isn't applied anymore. Instead you get a $5 MP3 credit if you buy $50 in textbooks.

I'm having trouble finding any. I had a wish list for 4 for 3 and I'm not seeing any that have the discount. The Amazon site is really slow for me right now, sometimes even getting errors. Not sure what's going on over there. It looks like 4 for 3 is still running in their kids books website bookworm.com. But they don't have Prime shipping, just free if it's over $50. :(

It has been running slow for me the past several days too. When I search for something from anywhere other than the main page, it takes forever to load. Must be something going on right now. Hope it is fixed soon.

Some are claiming it was hacked. Amazon is, of course, denying that.

*crosses fingers it's all a big mistake and 4 for 3 will be back*

If they got rid of it, I'd probably buy all my under $10 books at Barnes and Noble. Otherwise the savings just wouldn't be worth it for me, and I have a 20% teacher's discount card. I have zero use for the $5 MP3 coupon. I've gotten them before and never used them because I had no idea what to use them for?

ETA: I just looked, and yes, all the books I had saved that were under the 4 for 3 deal are now no longer listed as such. Since those paperbacks are mostly all full price items, I would definitely just buy at Barnes and Noble, because at least I save 20%.

If they got rid of it, I'd probably buy all my under $10 books at Barnes and Noble. Otherwise the savings just wouldn't be worth it for me, and I have a 20% teacher's discount card. I have zero use for the $5 MP3 coupon. I've gotten them before and never used them because I had no idea what to use them for?

ETA: I just looked, and yes, all the books I had saved that were under the 4 for 3 deal are now no longer listed as such. Since those paperbacks are mostly all full price items, I would definitely just buy at Barnes and Noble, because at least I save 20%.

You can use the mp3 coupons for Jim Weiss/ Greathall recordings.

Please be right!!!!!

I was looking to buy books the last time it happened. The very nice lady on the phone told me that when they update, the thing goes down. That is why the section is still there but you can't get the deals. She said the longest was two weeks down. Still, even without it, Amazon is cheaper than BN even with the discount on most of the books.

Guest inoubliable

I hope it's just a glitch. We don't have a B&N here, but we do have an affiliate. I don't care for their return policy. If we didn't already have Nooks in the house, we wouldn't use B&N for anything.

Guest MargBar11

I just signed on looking for the 4 for 3, as many of the books I had in my wish list were no longer elligible. I found this link:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_1502072_1/102-5655028-1554561?ie=UTF8&node=108183011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=special-node-offers-2&pf_rd_r=037TQWQNAEQZMHP66KYA&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=259764401&pf_rd_i=B00070Q82M

And it currently reads: "Looking for our 4 for 3 store? The Books 4-fo-3 promotion is no longer available on this website." Then it directs you to their goldbox deals and discount books. Sigh... This is a big disappointment for me... I do hope it is not permanent. But I'm suspicious that it is. I, too, experienced the glitch earlier in the year, but I never got this message.

I just found BetterWorldbooks. They have free shipping, too!

Me too!!! I discovered BetterWorldBooks just before Christmas. They also run additional sales periodically. I was recently able to get some great hardback texts for about $5/each. I still use Amazon and Amazon Marketplace. But, I'm loving Better World Books!!!

I just signed on looking for the 4 for 3, as many of the books I had in my wish list were no longer elligible. I found this link:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_1502072_1/102-5655028-1554561?ie=UTF8&node=108183011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=special-node-offers-2&pf_rd_r=037TQWQNAEQZMHP66KYA&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=259764401&pf_rd_i=B00070Q82M

And it currently reads: "Looking for our 4 for 3 store? The Books 4-fo-3 promotion is no longer available on this website." Then it directs you to their goldbox deals and discount books. Sigh... This is a big disappointment for me... I do hope it is not permanent. But I'm suspicious that it is. I, too, experienced the glitch earlier in the year, but I never got this message.

This will impact spending for next school year. :(

I got this response to my email.

Hello,

I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble you had with the 4-for-3 Books promotion. This is definitely not we want our customers to experience. I'd like to help you with this.

I've checked the details and can confirm that the 4-for-3 Books promotion is no longer available on the website.

I'll be sure to pass your message on to the appropriate people in our company.

If you'd like to know more about other promotional offers on our website, please visit our Help pages:

http://www.amazon.co.../?nodeId=565778

You may also be interested in our Bargain Books page where you can find newly discounted books and other bargains:

http://www.amazon.co...ooks/b/?node=45

Please don't hesitate to write back to us if you have any other questions, rest assured we'll do all that we can to assist you.

If you'd prefer, you can also contact us via phone or chat for some real-time assistance.

Please request a call from our Customer Service department. Here's how:

1. Visit http://www.amazon.co...er/display.html

2. Click the orange "Contact Us" button on the main Amazon Help page.

3. Click the "Skip sign in" button.

4. Click the "Call us" button and enter your phone number in the window.

5. Choose a time frame ("Right Now" or "In 5 minutes") and click "Submit."

We'll call you right back!

You can also give us a call at our toll free number: 1-866-216-1072. Customers outside the United States can call 1-206-266-2992. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Contacting us through the website allows you to verify security before a call is placed and ensures we have your account information ready when we call you. If your country isn’t listed or you’re unable to take advantage of the Contact Us feature, you can call us directly at 1-866-216-1072 or 1-206-266-2992 (if you're calling from outside the U.S.).

As a representative of Amazon.com, I want to assure you that we value our customers' trust above all else--it's the foundation on which our company was built. Please be assured that we are here to take care of any issue you've encountered and we'll continue working hard to ensure that we provide the quality support you expect from us.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your business with Amazon. I hope you will understand the situation and my limitation in this case. In addition to our large selection, one of the benefits we try very hard to offer our customers is convenience.

I hope this helps. We hope to see you again soon.

Thank you for your inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:

http://www.amazon.co...1A1Z0GQQDV&k=hy

If no, please click here:

http://www.amazon.co...1A1Z0GQQDV&k=hn

Best Regards,

Sherlyn B.

Amazon.com

Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

http://www.amazon.com/your-account

Guest inoubliable

Well. That, and the issue I had with them last week, sort of confirm what I was thinking. Namely, that they've become the Walmart of the internet. I'd rather support someone else at this point. And, you know what? I've been noticing lately that I can find stuff cheaper (sometimes significantly so) at my local supermarket or Walgreens. Much as it sounds bizarre to say, I think I can get along without Amazon.

That sucks. :(

Bummer. I hope they find that people are less likely to buy several books at once. I know I will cut back.

However, I still find lots of penny books (just shipping cost), and books that are OOP and I can't find easily elsewhere. And Amazon has always backed me up when I say something arrives as a wreck rather than "very good".