Menu

S/O Cleaning Confessions (Photos Optional)

beaners

When we moved we had so much junk and clothes not worth keeping and I ran out of time to donate it all. I filled up way more contractor size trash bags full of junk than I realized was possible in such a small house. Our bedroom had been a disaster area for longer than it should have been. Not gross trash or food or anything, just way way too many clothes, and had become the dumping ground of everything in the house with no home. We threw 80% of it away and I feel guilty for not washing every item and donating it, but I just couldn't.

I have some after reading the "How Dirty Is This House" thread.

I haven't seen the top of one of our dressers or the floor in front of one set of bookcases in my bedroom since before my baby was born. He's six months old.

No fair! You just moved into that house like a month before he was born. That totally doesn't count.

My confession is that I have a huge laundry room that becomes the dumping ground whenever someone comes over, but then only gets reorganized like once or twice a year. And the last time it was done very thoroughly was when my friend did it when she stayed with my kids while I was having my youngest....who is two.

I do my dishes in the morning. Because I got tired of redoing them in the morning. Eyesight isn't what it used to be. :bored:

I dust every 3 weeks. The build up is enough that I get a thrill from seeing how clean everything is once dusted. Thank goodness no one wears white gloves around here.

Most everything else is on a somewhat coordinated schedule, thanks in large part to my dh's cooperation.

No fair! You just moved into that house like a month before he was born. That totally doesn't count.

My confession is that I have a huge laundry room that becomes the dumping ground whenever someone comes over, but then only gets reorganized like once or twice a year. And the last time it was done very thoroughly was when my friend did it when she stayed with my kids while I was having my youngest....who is two.

It sounds even worse when I say I haven't seen the top of my dresser or my floor since I moved in!!! :lol:

I promise never to peak in your laundry room if you promise never to peak in my bedroom. Is it a deal?

My pantry is a flipping mess. The boys are finagling the recyclables right now so we can drop them off at the town center. Then we'll dropp off the clothes and stuff to the thrift store.

After a good sweep it should be OK, but I've got to get in there in the spring and give it a good going over.

When we moved we had so much junk and clothes not worth keeping and I ran out of time to donate it all. I filled up way more contractor size trash bags full of junk than I realized was possible in such a small house. Our bedroom had been a disaster area for longer than it should have been. Not gross trash or food or anything, just way way too many clothes, and had become the dumping ground of everything in the house with no home. We threw 80% of it away and I feel guilty for not washing every item and donating it, but I just couldn't.

I completely understand, I have thrown things away as well. Sometimes it's not worth the energy to donate for me. I need it to be gone NOW! If we decide to donate, it forms another pile, until it's another form of stress for me. Look at all these boxes/bags in the garage to donate! We have to do that! As weeks go by.....

I do my dishes in the morning. Because I got tired of redoing them in the morning. Eyesight isn't what it used to be. :bored:

I do all my dishes and kitchen cleaning in the morning. Then everything piles up throughout the day. I don't worry about any kitchen cleaning till the next morning. Except on Thursday were because of our schedule I don't usually get to it till now.... speaking of which.

Da, da, da,

I better be going now.

ETA: I think I'll need my crown. It's been a physically cold and tiring day so far.

I'm afraid our master bedroom is starting to resemble something from Hoarders. It's always been the catchall for kids' outgrown clothes, things destined for Goodwill and things that don't have a home. I took a lot to Goodwill before the Caboose was born but now it's right back to where it was. More things cleaned out from the kids' closet plus all the newborn things that nearly 10.5 lb DS3 did not fit into at birth. I need to start a Goodwill bag again but DS3 is not quite 3 weeks and I spend all day on the couch with my boob out.

This may seem like a silly confession but it's something I feel weird and guilty about...

I have housecleaners that come every two weeks. They've been coming for two months.

On one hand, it's awesome because while I still sweep/mop/vacuum, wipe down bathrooms and constantly pick up - it's been so freeing knowing that at least twice a month it gets a good cleaning.

I feel slightly guilty though. I feel like if my neighbors catch on, they'll be rolling their eyes at the stay at home mom whose children are all in school having cleaners. But it's really freed me up to work on projects around the house and I volunteer a lot at the schools.

My fridge really needs cleaning out. It's not on my regular list of things to do, and clearly it needs to be. Off to redo my spreadsheet (rather than cleaning the fridge!).

Laura

Oh yeah. Add that to my list above. Thanks for the reminder. I think. ;)

I could go room by room and tell you what I need to work on in there. For example:

The kitchen - besides needing serious remodeling - needs me to go through the clutter on my kitchen desk and get rid of stuff and reorganize it. And I have some boxes of stuff on my shelves that are just sitting there waiting for me to go through them. And the top of my refrigerator needs to be reorganized again.

But I get depressed when I list these things and would go under and my covers and never come out if I did the same listing for all the rooms in my house. So instead I try to list what is done in there instead:

The dishes are clean, though the dishwasher needs to be emptied again. The floor was swept and wet mopped this morning. The refrigerator is stocked and to the best of my knowledge has no science experiments growing in there. The pantry, except for the bottom shelf, was reorganized last month. The counters have been wiped off. The stove has been wiped off too.

I'll get to the things I listed above but when I can fit into my daily tackling schedule.

We have a rolltop desk that we need to sell. We need to sell it because it is where we need to put a coat organizer system in our sunroom. We haven't placed it on Craig's List because it is so full of papers and other stuff that was important to someone at sometime that I can't bring myself to get it all cleaned up for pictures. In the mean time all of the snow pants and coats for four children are landing on the chair inside the door.

My living room hasn't been vacumned in a week.

It's been full of a variety of drying tents from last week's winter camping trip. I have two very large hairy dogs and a tiny hairy cat. I'm pretty sure the carpet is supposed to maroon, but it's currently sort of blotchy brown from pet hair and all the tree bark that came in with the tents.

My DH has a desk in our bedroom that is his catch-all place for things and is home to a giant pencil cactus that is trying to take over the planet. The desk has not been cleaned off or dusted since we moved in 15 years ago. :svengo:

Cleaning lady coming on Monday for the 1st time ever to mop the floors and clean the showers/bathroom floors. I'm in my 8th month of pregnancy (with 2nd child) and just can't physically do it anymore until the baby comes. Went into preterm labor last week and need to take it easy. But meanwhile we refuse to live in squalor.

Some people have a lower threshold for mess. My mother for example, never kept a tidy house.

Our house is never 100% immaculate, but it is always presentable for a surprise guest (minus a marble run, wooden train tracks, 1/2 constructed puzzles, and piles of children's books on the couch).

I cleaned my house top to bottom last weekend. You can still tell... a little. Actually I vacuumed and mopped the downstairs, and really cleaned the kitchen this morning. Of course ithe kitchen is a disaster now. It was nice while it lasted.

I had a friend who decided she really wanted a clean house so they ate out all the time, and were never home! I am serious. She would take her kids to the park for hours just to keep her house clean!

I also only do dishes (what can't go in the dishwasher-a surprisingly large amount) once a day. Rarely twice, if I make a big dinner. I do them at night when the kids do their pick up. I just don't have time or energy to do them more!

Otherwise, I keep the inside mostly clean but outside it looks like a hillbilly paradise because my kids leave toys, bricks, random rock and mud piles, and recyclables filled with "soup" everywhere.

I have big bags of stuff to be donated, yet it just sits in my room in the way because I don't actually, you know, donate it.

I have never taken down and washed my curtains. They've been up for 8 years. I do, however, vacuum them every now and then.

I do not clean windows. Ever.

My other confession is that I turn into psycho yelling mom at my family when the house gets too messy for my standards which are much higher than my family's. I go "crazy eye" and yell at them to clean up and don't stop until the house is tidy.

Oh, I resent my dog because he makes such irritating messes, doesn't clean, and I'm not entirely sure he's worth it.

My kitchen pantry is horrible and it totally frustrates me. I clean it and it looks so nice, but then dh and the kids take things out and just stuff them back into any empty space. Eventually it looks horrible again. I think I've just given up and I'm tired of constantly re-organizing it so I just keep the door shut. It would embarrass me for someone to come over and look inside it.

I think I'll tackle it again tomorrow and figure out a way to lock them all out of it. :glare:

my junk drawer should have a caution sign because you may lose a finger digging around in there.

my cat has a food bowl in a lower cabinet in my kitchen & it's just for her (nothing else in there). i keep her food & water there so my fat dogs don't devour it (one dog is named "piglet" for a reason!). i'm sure the door open and the cat leaping in looks ridiculously gross to guests.

my cat has a food bowl in a lower cabinet in my kitchen & it's just for her (nothing else in there). i keep her food & water there so my fat dogs don't devour it (one dog is named "piglet" for a reason!). i'm sure the door open and the cat leaping in looks ridiculously gross to guests.

In my first house (when I was single) my cats used to "break in" to an empty kitchen cabinet. I never kept food or anything else in there, so I didn't mind.

I called it their office.

:D

I had a friend who decided she really wanted a clean house so they ate out all the time, and were never home! I am serious. She would take her kids to the park for hours just to keep her house clean!

This made me laugh! I am going on my 3rd week of being sick and have no energy but I made myself sweep and vacuum yesterday and it was a big effort. About an hour later, I came into the kitchen and there was grass tracked all over. My kids were playing in the backyard and come in through the kitchen. That's when I have to remind myself that we live here and it won't ever be perfect, but I do feel the urge sometimes to lock the kids in the yard so it can remain clean for longer than an hour.

Oh, I resent my dog because he makes such irritating messes, doesn't clean, and I'm not entirely sure he's worth it.

The dog I can completely commiserate with! I have always been an animal lover, but now that I have 5 kids and enough messes, I resent my 3 cats and 1 dog a little. They make a lot of messes, a lot. And if I think about it too long, litter boxes are really disgusting.

In my first house (when I was single) my cats used to "break in" to an empty kitchen cabinet. I never kept food or anything else in there, so I didn't mind.

I called it their office.

:D

We are putting a small cat door going into our laundry room so that they can eat their meals in peace. Otherwise cat food lasts 2.2 seconds before the dog scarfs it!

For the past few days my kids have had an experiment on the kitchen table. It occupied 1/4 of it when it was smushed together to make room for school and meals.

It involved candles, lots of candles, lots of wax. Now I have to think of what to do with all the wax everywhere. Perhaps I'll wrestle my next door neighbor (older woman) till she releases the name and number of her housekeeper. I'm sure I can take her.

My kitchen is too small. Even when I clean-clean it, all that means is picking stuff up off the counter, wiping underneath it, then setting it back down. At any given time, about 80% of my counter space is "used" because it's covered various bottles, containers, jars, etc. I HATE it, but I have lost any desire to try to rework it yet again to try to make it fit. If there are dirty dishes, then it's 100%. Thankfully, there isn't much counter space so it sounds worse than it could be.

That said, almost all of my small appliances are actually down the hallway in the closet...because my kitchen is too small. And cramped. And messy.

No wonder I hate cooking. I also hate grocery shopping because we bring all this food home, yet it has no place to be put away.

I actually just got rid of my cleaning ladies. For the last ten years, every two weeks three ladies would show up and wash, dust and vacuum my house. I always, always had mixed feelings about it. First of all I found them very disruptive. It was hard to be in the house while they were working. Secondly, they'd show whether we had tidied and decluttered or not, so even though I tried to get in the habit of tidying the house before they came, it was never enough, so they would wind up dusting and vacuuming around junk. Things didn't really get as clean as I wanted. Plus I always, always felt sheepish and guilty about having them. And my kids grew up not really doing chores because I would just blow doing housework thinking "oh the cleaning ladies will get it.' It actually made me feel disconnected to my house and out of control. For instance a new lady would show up in the crew and do things differently and I'd have to go looking for where they put my shoes or what have you. It was annoying. So a few weeks ago I stopped having them come. Right now my house is messy but I know what I've cleaned and haven't cleaned. I am more conscientious about putting things away, keeping things tidy, my kids are taking greater charge of things. Knowing I have to clean stuff myself is making me a better housekeeper all over. And I am not dealing with the ambiguous, negative feelings I have been for the last 10 years! I feel FREE!

This made me laugh! I am going on my 3rd week of being sick and have no energy but I made myself sweep and vacuum yesterday and it was a big effort. About an hour later, I came into the kitchen and there was grass tracked all over. My kids were playing in the backyard and come in through the kitchen. That's when I have to remind myself that we live here and it won't ever be perfect, but I do feel the urge sometimes to lock the kids in the yard so it can remain clean for longer than an hour.

I take the kids out for hours a day when the weathers nice for that reason :)

My house is pretty clean because I'm kinda (a lot) anal. But I had my last oven for 19.5 years and never cleaned the inside of it. Yep, it was self-cleaning, but I still never did it. There was quite a bit of baked on and burned on stuff in there, but I figured every time I used it it was hot enough inside to kill anything bad, so I just never cleaned it. I just got a new one and I plan on keeping on top of it a bit better. :)

I hate cleaning ovens, the self cleaning cycle gives me a headache every time, and it stinks up the house, and I am too afraid to leave the house with it going because its just so hot!!

That means it rarely happens at my house either!

Today's cleaning confession is that I have a sinkful of mostly clean pots and pans, I keep walking by them, thinking about it, and then pretending like they don't exist. They have been there for 24 hours now!