Menu

s/o previous "one novel" thread: Name ONE novel you think EVERY kid should read before graduating from high school.

Sorry, I don't think there is one novel. I'd much prefer they get a well rounded literary education and not get hung up on details. Would I like everyone to have read some authors (Shakespeare!) yes, but if I was in a mean mood, I could probably go to that other thread and argue down any one novel on the list.

Sorry, I don't think there is one novel. I'd much prefer they get a well rounded literary education and not get hung up on details. Would I like everyone to have read some authors (Shakespeare!) yes, but if I was in a mean mood, I could probably go to that other thread and argue down any one novel on the list.

Yeah, but you don't do mean, Candid. Besides, you know that for several of us, that limiting word "one" and the word "novel" simply cannot exit in the same sentence without us hyperventilating. :D

I have a substantial list of what I would like my son to read next semester, and the next three years. The reality is that within the first month, there will be books he loves, books we'll drop, books we'll never read though it about kills me, and books that are brilliant choices and they were never on my original list.

If I had to pick just one book for a deserted island, I would probably drop dead from anxiety before ever getting there because I couldn't bear to leave any old friends behind.

If I had to pick just one book for a deserted island, I would probably drop dead from anxiety before ever getting there because I couldn't bear to leave any old friends behind.

I'd have to make it one e-reader with solar power because there is no way I'm going anywhere with just one book!

I don't have a single book I think everyone should read. There are several books on this list already that we will definitely skip as assigned reading at least. It is interesting to see what book each person chooses and why. It tells far more about the person picking than it does about what our teens should read IMHO. :)

Yeah, but you don't do mean, Candid. Besides, you know that for several of us, that limiting word "one" and the word "novel" simply cannot exit in the same sentence without us hyperventilating. :D

I have a substantial list of what I would like my son to read next semester, and the next three years. The reality is that within the first month, there will be books he loves, books we'll drop, books we'll never read though it about kills me, and books that are brilliant choices and they were never on my original list.

Harrumph to me not mean! (just ask my kids.)

I know exactly what you mean on paragraph two, one reason I like using Tapestry is I am good at staying with a plan and I feel they offer a reasonable trajectory of books (except year 4 where I will be getting out an ax.)

The other thing I find happening is that the kid likes something I have no interest in. My oldest has decided that he wants to read Nietzsche. I think he is nuts! (yes, both of them.) Fortunately I know enough to say Thus Spoke Zarathustra and probably how to find a decent translation and commentary. He'll have to do that in addition to his other work, but I will add the title to his philosophy elective.

I've been thinking about this for a few days and I'd suggest Night by Elie Wiesel. That novel is about surviving and ultimately prevailing over the worst imaginable situation. All high school students should know that their troubles, no matter how big they seem at the time, can be overcome.

I wanted to pull out the list so far. It's kind of disjointed.

Huck Finn

Five People You Meet in Heaven

All Quiet on the Western Front

Oliver Twist

Screwtape Letters

The Iliad

Fahrenheit 451 3

To Kill a Mockingbird 4

Beowulf

Crime and Punishment

Animal Farm

Plato's Republic