Menu

Extra curricular activities?

jillian

We're not doing as much this year as I anticipated we would. But things ebb and flow around here.

DS does art classes several times per year. That's more "co-curricular" for us as I count it for school. He does a couple sessions of swimming lessons most years. In the winter he plays basketball, and in the spring/summer he does a very low-key golf league and usually a camp or lessons with that. We add in occasional extras like tennis lessons, library programs, basketball camp, a summer technology class, things like that.

Okay, looking at all that, it seems plenty. :D But right now it feels like we don't have much going on!!

My kids all do karate. We're at the Dojo 4 days a week. The 10 year old will be testing for her black belt in a few months so we're starting private lessons. That's another day at the Dojo. The older two have church activity once a week. That leaves us one free day a week. We have no room in our schedule for anything else. My mom mentioned dance for the younger two. I told her that if she moved near us she could take them. :glare:

I will just list current or very recent activities for my youngest, the only one who is still a child and homeschooled.

Beta club (service) (once a month), Venture Crew(once every two weeks plus trips and activities), dive team(three times a week), all the rest are one time a week-trumpet lessons, co-op which includes extracurricular classes of tennis, band, drama, and creative writing, Teen choir at church, Youth praise band at church, Youth group, Youth group leadership team, Wednesday night Bible Study, Oh and I forgot, Science Olympiad.

You don't give the age of your dd, but I am going to assume pretty young. The extracurriculars we did changed a lot over time and the intensity changed.

All of my dc swam. They did lessons or swim team year round until age 10 and swim team only for a couple years after that. At age 13 it wasn't a requirement. I feel strongly about swimming as a skill. I wanted it to be second nature. Being able to swim a length is not developed enough in the skill to save your life should the need arise.

When my oldest was little he had a lot of motor skills and social skills issues. We homeschooled, but we had a lot of outside activitiies to build strength, coordination and social skills. 4H and scouts once a week each. homeschool gymnastics 1 to 2 times a week. and one other sport a season (besides swimming). The time committment was intense. I was lucky academic wise because he was way ahead (we were doing middle grade WTM in 1st grade) so I didn't need to worry about cutting into academic time, but I did worry about that. He dropped 4H and switched to just TKD at age 10. TKD is great overall physically. He dropped scouts at 13 and switched to working out at the gym with personal trainers and picked up drums. He added guitar. That took him through high school. He's in college now. He called this week and said he wants to learn bagpipes. I guess he'll figure that out.

Dd had to try everything. One year I knew she would just argue about not getting to try stuff, so I just let her sign up for everything possible. It was truly awful (brownies, field hockey, lacross, guitar, swimming, art classes, gymnastics, basketball). She had to be a couple places every single day. After about six months she admitted that it was too hard to do it all and was able to narrow down the things she did. Eventually she ended up in ballet only. She has ballet 6 days a week. She volunteers for adapted aquatics once a week. She volunteers at a camp for persons with disabilities in the summer and goes to a sleep away nature camp. She likes to write on her own.

Youngest has disabilities. He does special olympics swimming and basketball (once a week). He has adaptive ice skating and I try to take him ice skating. He attends a special needs sunday school program. We are going to try an adaptive dance/yoga program that meets on a weeknight. His scouts meets once a month on a weeknight.

When you kids are older and you can drop off and go grocery shop or take care of something else, it doesn't feel as much of a drain on time, even though they are doing more or more intensely involved.

dd14: music lessons 1x per week, modern dance 1x per week, volunteering with young kids' dance 1x per week, student council about 2x per month, teen night (strictly social) 1x per month. that's the current semester; she always has her music lessons, and then usually 1 each of class, service, social. she likes to do camps in the summer. oh, and we'll be doing a film club/class starting in March, 2x per month.

dd12: my 'stay at home' kid for sure! she does teen night and student council (this mostly b/c it is at our house, lol). doesn't generally care for lessons but will play around musically on her own. she will do film club because again it will be here at home. she actually willingly did 2 camps this summer, one with her sister and a friend, and one, *gasp*, on her own.

Ds11- dance, 6 days a week. Since it's only 2-3 hours at most, this doesn't feel like so much. He recently switched from gymnastics and practices were 4-6 hours long- he's actually bored now, lol.

Ds14- plays sax and flute in 2 bands, they meet once a week.Swam competitively until last year, but not bored, lol.

That's it!

Both kids specialized pretty quickly, and our time for other activities (and funds!) was just not there. between swim practice and gym practice 4-5 nights a week, and meets on weekends, there was no time for any other activities from age 6 on, really. This is our first year without swim and gym, but dance is about as busy. Older Ds will need some sort of physical activity, but he's had health issues this year (just had surgery) so we will think about that later.

My kids are really young but we've done a variety of things. We've tried town rec sports and team sports are definitely NOT my son's thing. We did homeschool gymnastics for a couple of years and homeschool bowling for a year. For a while, we had gym, bowling, 4-H and town rec all at the same time and it was way too much.

Right now, they both do 4-H Cloverbuds twice a month (one meeting, one field trip), we just returned to church and they go to Sunday School, and Ds does Pokemon League once a week. Dd will probably do town rec soccer in the fall, and if we get the money I want to join the Y for swimming lessons, and possibly sign them up for martial arts. They have a cub scout troop and a Daisy troop at the church we attend, and I've been debating whether to see if they could join. I may wait until the new year starts in the fall.

Ds (11) is:

in a 6-member youth show choir (3 boys, 3 girls ages 10-13)

part of a weekly 90-minute dramatic arts class with children ages 11+ for acting, improv, & musical theater

in his 9th year of religious education classes

waiting for me to have my work hours switched so he can also do soccer and/or basketball

My boys are still young, so right now we're just doing gymnastics, which is once a week, and hockey, which is three times per week for my 6yo and twice a week for my 5yo. In the summer, they'll play soccer and/or baseball instead, and I'm hoping to get them started in piano lessons next fall.

We are minimalists who guard our family time.

My older 2 do violin lessons once a week.

They go to sunday school and youth group once a week each.

We attend a homeschool group play day thingy once a fortnight.

That's more than enough for me!

DD (5 almost 6) has ballet class twice a week. She also has highland dance once a week and a homeschool science class once a week. I would love to get her into music lessons. Since we have activities four days a week I just feel it would be too much to add something else.