Menu

What is your favorite World Geography?

Marie131

I am using EE with my K and 3rd grader. I am definitely doing things quite a bit differently than hers! In fact, I'm basically just using hers for the lapbooks and some of the printables.

I am putting up my lesson plans as we do them each week. We just finished up week three. If you are interested, my blog is linked below. Just click on the tag Globe Trotting Girls or World Geography.

In terms of having everything pulled together for you I think EE is a great value. I use her plans as more of a checklist. I appreciate that all of the links are in the pdf or on her website. We like the lapbook and have added some things of our own to it. I don't try to do it all or in the same order, we spend 2-3 weeks per country instead, and I can easily add my own things. I like that I can go to her website and see examples of what they did. It has been fun. I also use some of the printables and links from Homeschool Creations.

If you can, definitely get Around the World in 80 Tales! We also got a good flag book by DK. These are in addition to the core books for EE (we didn't get all of those) and have been great additions.

So to answer your question, there probably is something 'better' out there (grass is always greener!) but for me having it all planned with lapbook components, lesson plans, links, projects, printables...worth it for me and a great price too. I'm sure I could pull together something like this on my own but that would 'cost' me my time. Good luck deciding!

I'm drawing a blank...what's EE?

This is what we are doing (from a post a few days ago):

I was using FIAR with GTG but found I was not doing anything in the FIAR so I sold them. I kept all the books I bought, though.

I started with a general study of the continents and oceans using a poem & song I could email you (I don't know how to attach it.) and copywork pages. We made a paper mache globe, painted the continents on it, plan on filling it with goodies, and then break it at the end of the school year. I also made vests for our 3 dss. and bought country patches here to sew on them as we go around the globe. I made passports that we stamp for each country we visit, as well as add a flag sticker and a picture of a postage stamp from each country.

As far as a schedule...well, I finally decide to break the rest of the year into continents and we will choose a book from one (or a few) of the countries, learn some vocabulary words, label a map, color a flag, learn some interesting facts, do some activities from GTG, and end the continent studied with a meal from Eat Your Way Around the World.

We do get a lot of books and some videos from the library from the literature section from GTG. I bought Christian Heroes books, Geography From A to Z, and We Sing Around the World.

It has all been a lot of work, but our notebooks are looking good, and for early elem., I think we're covering plenty. I wish I had a daily schedule all planned out!!! If you find one, let me know! :)

Pam

Rod and Staff Grade 4 as a read aloud. It is mostly narratives. Seriously, it's an unexpectedly good read aloud.

Draw Write Now for map drawing. Also read the chapter in The Core on geography. Look for threads here about continent blobs.

National Geographic Beginners World Atlas, has great maps showing the different biomes. These can be applied to the Draw Write Now drawings.

Less is more in beginning geography. Understanding night, day, the seasons, imaginary lines, climates zones and biomes, and the 7 continents, and 4/5 oceans is enough.

Waldorf Map Drawing video at