Menu

What's your favorite homemade sandwich?

I'm looking for new ideas. Things that are filling and quick. Here's our favorite sandwich.

Start with sourdough bread, add turkey, bacon, tomato slices, swiss cheese and avacado mixed with ranch dressing to make a paste. Put that on the bread and put into a hot skillet with some butter. Cook until crisp on the outside and the swiss cheese melts. Flipping frequently. Yummy and super filling and easy. I serve with carrots and ranch dressing.

Tell me your family favorites. :D

Lay a couple thin slices of onion and zucchini on the skillet; when they're a little soft start grilling your bread - add cheese slice on the bread, layer the veggies in, add a couple slices of tomato, close up the sandwich and finish grilling. Yumm - OH!!

Old-fashioned BLT. Very ripe, juicy tomatoes, real bacon, lettuce, and Miracle Whip on lightly toasted wheat.

Oh nooooo!!!!! She's starting with the Wiracle Mhip again!!!! Where's that thread? It was from the new board, wasn't it? :lol::lol::lol:

1. Meunster cheese, alfalfa sprouts, ripe tomato, and hot sauce. I know it sounds strange, but it is soooo good!

2. Grilled chicken breast, avocado slices, a squirt of lemon, and ripe tomato slices with garlic mayonnaise (aioli.)

3. Peanut butter and banana.

Toasted bagel, smoked salmon, capers, fresh tomato, sweet onion. Mmmm.

Cherry peppers and gruyere +salt & pepper in a hollowed out crusty bread, baked for about 29 minutes in foil.

Mine is toasted tuna sandwich. Num. I add some mayo and shredded chees to the tuna and then butter the outside of the bread and either grilled it or put in the toaster oven on broil.

My kids love fried egg with a slice on cheese on bread..use mayo or miracle whip depending on which kid it is.

Roasted or grilled peppers, Vidalia onions, eggplant with fresh mozzarell and basil, drizzled with Modena balsamic vinegar on really good Italian bread

Hot pastrami on rye with sour kraut and mustard

chicken or turkey salad with granny smith apples chunks and craisins on a kaiser roll

Vegetarian banh mi:

http://herbivoracious.com/2008/04/recipe-vietname.html

I leave out the avocado and slice the veggies thinly with a mandoline, but otherwise, make it just as he describes.

I also love (but haven't had in way too long) Italian bread with thin slices of avocado, tomato, and feta cheese. Or baguette with Brie, avocado, and roasted red peppers. Or pretty much anything with avocado in it. :)

-Anne

MW is yummy my dear. But only on certain things. BLTs are one of those certain things. And, you have to say it with a Southern drawl Marcal whip! :lol:

Hey now, I'm a Yankee, and I *LOVE* Miracle Whip! Just like you, though, on certain things. And BLT sandwiches are DEFINITELY a Miracle Whip thing. It's also divine on cucumber sandwiches: spread it on toast, top with cucumber slices, salt, pepper, another slice of toast....mmmmm....that says "summer" to me!

Astrid

Roasted or grilled peppers, Vidalia onions, eggplant with fresh mozzarell and basil, drizzled with Modena balsamic vinegar on really good Italian bread

I was about to post my favorite sandwich and saw yours, which is very similar. Mine is just roasted eggplant and red peppers with feta cheese on rosemary bread. I'll have to try adding the other ingredients.

This thread is making me HUNGRY!

Make chicken salad as you noramlly do. Put it on raisin bread, top with drained shredded pineapple. Next add a slice of yellow American cheese and then cook it the way you would a grilled cheese.

When my sil told me about this, I said, "No way!". She cooked and served me one, and it was GOOD!!

Oh nooooo!!!!! She's starting with the Wiracle Mhip again!!!! Where's that thread? It was from the new board, wasn't it? :lol::lol::lol:

Here. Here's the thread. I suddenly feel sick. :crying:

My favorite sandwich has got to be the quintessential summer meal: sliced vine ripened tomatoes, mayonaise, salt & pepper on fresh baked bread.

Close seconds, and only seconds because they require more forethought and work: BLT or tuna salad made with mayo, fresh lemon juice, chopped celery - period.

I also love one I call a "Nolichuky" (after the river): pumpernickle bread with mayo and spicy mustard, thin sliced sweet peppers & cucumbers, Swiss cheese or provolone, alfalfa sprouts. salt & pepper. This is also delicious with roasted peppers, but there goes that work factor again.

Okay, so maybe I'm not really that sick.

My favorite sandwich has got to be the quintessential summer meal: sliced vine ripened tomatoes, mayonaise, salt & pepper on fresh baked bread.

Ooh, this reminded me of a sandwich we would have when I was younger, real healthy :rolleyes:

Take a big chunk of Hungarian paprika bacon, put it on a stick and hold over open flame. As the fat begins to melt rub the greasy bacon on 2 slices of really good Jewish rye bread. Get the bread pretty wet from bacon fat, add sliced tomatoes and voilà! A delicious, artery clogging sandwich.

There's some leftover salmon from dinner last night, so this is the sandwich I'm having for lunch today: salmon mixed with some wasabi mayonnaise and chopped red onion/ cucumber slices on top

and another favorite:

*pita bread filled with hummus and a mixture of chopped red onion, cucumber, olives, and olive oil

Can you tell that I just love red onions and cucumbers?! :)

We just had this last night:

grilled eggplant slices (brushed w/olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper) topped with sliced mozzarella balls, fresh-from-our-garden tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and drizzled with EVOO and more salt and pepper between grilled sourdough bread. MMM... and, Plaid Dad, we served guacamole on the side, but we so could have put that avacado right on the sandwich!!

Guest kacifl

Cottage cheese and tomato sandwiches

brown sugar and peanut butter (organic, of course!)

cream cheese and jam

Rasin bread grilled cheese sandwiches.... so very good

Big, juicy, fresh-sliced tomato sandwich with mayonaise and LOTS of fresh ground pepper on old-fashioned soft, white bread. It's best to let it sit for about 1/2 an hour so the tomato juices start to mix with the mayonaise. I just had one for lunch----Yummm!

Definately a Reuben! Butter 1 side of 2 slices of bread, lay 1 slice butter side down and spread some horseradish on it and then some mustard. On top of the mustard stack some deli corned beef, swiss cheese, and saurkraut and top of with other slice of bread. Grill sandwich like a grilled cheese till it is hot through and brown on outside. You can add some Russian or Thousand Island dressing and then enjoy. These are great with German potato salad. If you are making several you can place them on a cookie sheet and bake them in a 350* oven for about 7 minutes on each side.

You had me until you said Miracle Whip ::shudder::. It's gotta be mayo here.

I had to look at your post again because I thought you were quoting Tom Cruise:001_huh: "You had me at hello"

A really simple yet unhealthy sandwich is: an italian roll with ham, cheese and hard salami. You put it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds just enough to warm it.

Yum!

Veggie sandwiches: hummus, spring greens, thinly sliced tomatoes, salt & pepper, thinly sliced red onions, avocado mashed with a bit of garlic, & pepper jack cheese (optional) on a croissant.

Grilled cheese sandwiches with a bit of butter, a sprinkling of dried italian seasoning and parmesean on the outside before grilling. provolone on the inside.

My kids love pepperoni sandwiches: tomato paste with seasonings spread on sourdough bread, a few slices of pepperoni, and a sprinkle of mozarella or cheddar. They like them grilled like a grilled cheese, but with a bit of garlic powder sprinkled on the outside before grilling.

My family also loves sloppy joe sandwiches.