Menu

Ambleside Online Yr 1 for 1st grade?

faiths13

Has anyone used and loved Ambleside Online for 1st grade? I have always been intrigued by the curric and have looked at it on and off for two years for my oldest two, but never did it. Now Im going back to it again thinking about starting fresh with it for my 1st grader in the fall. I would love to know if anyone has successfully used it in first and loved it. What did your schedule look like? How did you plan your days? Is 6 a good age to begin Year 1 or is it better to wait?

I used something different with dd in 1st, but am doing Ambleside year 2 with her now in 2nd. She loves the readings, though we're not too good about getting to the other aspects of the curriculum like timeline, mapwork, and nature study.

I would say to look over the readings for year 1 and see if they would be a good fit for your first grader. If so, go for it! The AO site also has a forum now that is pretty active and would be a good resource.

For my dd it was best that we waited till she was 7yo. We did try when she was 6, but she was not ready for the vocab level in books like Parables. Now at 7 we both love it. I don't have time to type up what a day looks like for me (which changes somewhat), but if you do a search for my post when you click on my name, you'll see some AO post. Hope that helps .

For my dd it was best that we waited till she was 7yo. We did try when she was 6, but she was not ready for the vocab level in books like Parables. Now at 7 we both love it. I don't have time to type up what a day looks like for me (which changes somewhat), but if you do a search for my post when you click on my name, you'll see some AO post. Hope that helps .

I'm using it for my kids. My dd is 6.5 and DS is 5. So far they have been doing fine with it. I don't use Trials and Triumphs though. We are only using the reading list schedule -I have different plans for everything else.

I also use Kfamilys website -it's awesome.

I usually do one reading a day or 2 if they are short. It doesn't take much time at all. I usually read them as the kids eat breakfast.