Menu

Any point in getting diagnosed with mild dyslexia as an adult or teen?

Tap

Over the past year, I have come to realize that I most likely have a mild form of dyslexia (diagnosed from self tests). I remember wondering about it back when I was in school, but since I don't have letter reversals I just figured my issues were from eye fatigue. I have figured out ways to work around the issue as an adult and don't really have a reason to get diagnosed.

My 14yo dd, seems to have the same issues as I do. Over the years, I see it more and more clearly, with her making similar accommodations to what I do. I wonder if it would be worth investigating at this point for her, or if that window has pretty much closed.

If I did want to get her tested, how would I go about that?

I would probably get the 14 yo diagnosed simply for the fact she might need accommodations once she gets to college and she will need a diagnosis for those. Your doctor might be able to recommend a place for testing. Our university has a psychology clinic that does educational testing at 1/4th the cost.

:iagree: about the possibility of accommodations for the SAT. I'd start with an evaluation with an ed psych or neuropsych. That sort of evaluation would be necessary for accommodations (also, it's important to build a paper trail, so now is the time to start, not in a year or two.) There may be language tests that a SLP could do to provide some insight.

In addition, it's worth noting that some dyslexia symptoms overlap with developmental vision issues, which can easily be ruled out with a covd optometrist. Often such vision issues can be improved or fixed with VT. ("Eye fatigue"?? That might point in such a direction.)