Menu

S/O Girl Scout Patches

jen3kids

I didn't want this to get lost in the other message...

I've been a leader for a few years now and have never found a definitive answer from my Council so I'm hoping someone here can help. Although I won't be surprised if there are many 'right' answers. :laugh:

We have patches for the back of the girls' vests for the number of years they've been in GS.

Do the Investiture and Rededication patches 'count' as years in GS, or are they used in addition to those?

For example... we have 2 girls who have done GS since Daisies. On the back of their Cadette vests they have...

Investiture

Rededication

1st Year (Daisies)

2nd Year (Brownies)

3rd Year (Brownies)

4th Year (Brownies)

5th Year (Junior)

6th Year (Junior)

7th Year (Junior) - we did an extra year

8th Year (Cadette)

9th Year (Cadette)

Is this correct? Or does 1st Year start after Rededication, so that it would read...

Investiture (Daisies)

Rededication (Brownies)

1st Year (Brownies)

2nd Year (Brownies)

3rd Year (Junior)

4th Year (Junior)

5th Year (Junior) - we did an extra year

6th Year (Cadette)

7th Year (Cadette)

8th Year (Senior)

9th Year (Senior)

Make any sense?

So it's

Investiture and 1st year: Daisies, etc

So they overlap? but are separate? Right?

As a Daisy, you get the Investiture and 1st Year.

As a Brownie, you get the Rededication and 2nd Year.

So, the first list is correct, right?

Clear as mud - ugh!

Here is what I have discovered about being a girl scout leader, in the grand scheme of things, not a lot is a big deal. Our service unit leader answers an awful lot of questons with, "Well, how does your troop want to do it?" Of course in our area, there is not a lot of moving around so the girls usually stay in the same troops as they age.

Here is what I have discovered about being a girl scout leader, in the grand scheme of things, not a lot is a big deal. Our service unit leader answers an awful lot of questons with, "Well, how does your troop want to do it?" Of course in our area, there is not a lot of moving around so the girls usually stay in the same troops as they age.

I agree. We are a pretty laid back very small troop, so it really is no big deal. The Brownie leader said it was one way, the Junior leader said it was another. And the girls were wondering what the 'right' way was.

I think we will stick with the first way I wrote it.

I think you can place them any way you want. Thye are the fun patches, right? for the back?

I'd put the investiture and 1st year near each other and then the rededication one near the year she got it.

You can rededicate every year.

I hope I'm helping!

They do go on the back but I don't consider them 'fun' patches, more like 'ranks', in a way.

We do a rededication every year, but don't put on a new rededication patch each year.

These patches actually fit together, under each other so it does look pretty cool going down the center of each girl's back, especially with all the fun patches around them.

I agree. We are a pretty laid back very small troop, so it really is no big deal. The Brownie leader said it was one way, the Junior leader said it was another. And the girls were wondering what the 'right' way was.

I think we will stick with the first way I wrote it.

They do go on the back but I don't consider them 'fun' patches, more like 'ranks', in a way.

We do a rededication every year, but don't put on a new rededication patch each year.

These patches actually fit together, under each other so it does look pretty cool going down the center of each girl's back, especially with all the fun patches around them.

Oh, ok. I know which ones you mean now.

We never got them bc I thought they were redundant bc of the membership stars.

So then do you transfer them from level to level? Do you move the brownie ones onto the junior vest or sash?