Menu

What can cause face flushing?

ondreeuh

I've had random flushing occasionally for the past several months.... can't remember if it happened during warm weather (at this point, I can't remember warm weather at all LOL). But my house is warm and it happens inside. Humidity is around 30% inside. It seems to happen most days, maybe a couple times a day (until very recently). My face feels warm, and when I look in the mirror I'm pink, especially on my cheekbones (but not in a cute way).

Being in cold undoubtably makes it worse. For the past couple of days, not only am I flushed non-stop, but my skin has become rougher. I almost look rashy and my skin is super duper dry and sensitive. I've been putting Eucerin on it. I am not outside much, but it is cold & windy. Yesterday I had to walk a few blocks in temps that were -17 with windchill and my face was of course numb when I got home. I don't go outside unless I have to (and then mostly just to/from the car) but I do have to take my preschooler 2 blocks away for preschool and I'd rather not warm up the car and drive that piddly distance!

So cold makes it worse, but is not the only factor. What could make me suddenly so sensitive?

My face has done this in the winter since I hit my 40's. I do not use soap on my skin at all in the winter, just wash with water and a wash cloth, pat dry and slather with coconut oil. I do a yogurt and aspirin mask once a week that helps exfoliate and soften.

Is there any way to increase the humidity in your home? We run a wood stove and I have a steamer on it at all times.

Rosacea comes to mind.

It can be "quiet" for years then suddenly flare and get bad.

I was simply a "blusher" up through my late 20's then began getting redder and redder, now late 30's its fairly constant.

Balls! I did a google image search, and of course the worst cases show up. It does sort of match, though.

My face has done this in the winter since I hit my 40's. I do not use soap on my skin at all in the winter, just wash with water and a wash cloth, pat dry and slather with coconut oil. I do a yogurt and aspirin mask once a week that helps exfoliate and soften.

Is there any way to increase the humidity in your home? We run a wood stove and I have a steamer on it at all times.

I looked up ideal humidity numbers, and one site says that at our outdoor temps, humidity should not be above 30%. This is too avoid too much condensation on windows & causes mold.

Rosacea makes my face and ears and neck flush when I do things that annoy it like indulge in caffeine, alcohol or sunlight. To which I tell it, tough cookies, not avoiding any of the above.

LOL!

My skin is also really dry and trying to flake, so I'm going to blame it on temperature fluctuations. I notice I am sensitive to the gas fireplace, but to that I say "tough cookies!" because it's the best way to heat our living area.

Maybe your skin care regimen is too harsh or not moiturizing enough for the current humidity/temps? I have to change my soap and face lotions with the seasons.

Are you under more stress/anxiety/general emotions than usual? My face and chest get really flushed periodically during stressful times. It's just my body's little way of "dealing" I guess!