Menu

LCHF (low carb/high fat) Meal Plans?

HomeschoolMamaOfTwo

Does anyone eating LCHF meal plan as well? The hubby wants to lose some weight and thinks this would be the best type of plan for him (and I could lose some, too, so I don't mind). I have a few things in mind that I could make but I think he is going to tire of the ideas I have fairly quickly (and I know I will). I am thinking meats with a couple of sides of veggies mostly for meals. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else on this plan meal plans and would like to share? I am trying to make a plan up now before we start so that I am ready to go when it is shopping day. Then I hope I can contribute as well! Dinner of course, but breakfast/lunch/snacks welcome, too, if you plan those or have good ideas! :)

We don't usually meal plan, but i'd really like to! most of our dinners involve a meat or fish and two to three veggies. Maybe a fruit. So a couple of nights ago, I cooked a whole chicken with some carrots and onions in the oven. We had some kale chips that I made and the four of us split an orange. That was our dinner, and it was delicious! Then I pulled all the left over meat off the carcass and put the carcass in the crockpot along with the left over juices and skin and some water. I broke some of the bones too. It was in the crockpot over night on low and made a very good broth for our soup last night. Tonight I'm going to do something with some beef stew meat I have on the fridge. Probably just put it in the crockpot with some broth and sweet potatoes (not exactly LC). Maybe we'll have a salad. We have lots of salads.

Another meal I love is a taco salad (without the taco bit, but sometimes we'll add some corn chips). Lettuce, ground beef, avocado, shredded cheddar, salsa, and some plain yogurt. It's so good!

We snack on cheese, pork rinds, nuts, almond butter, fruit, raw carrots, olives...

Leafy salad in place of starch. :-)

Leafy salad in place of breakfast when one is tired of bacon and eggs. We do fruit//seed/nut additions to our breakfast salads often -- kiwi or apple seem to be our fav. fruits and flax seeds and almonds seem to be our favorite seeds/nuts.

I keep thinking that I'll put a series of meal plans together just so that I'll have something to hopefully inspire me. But, the reality is that I usually don't decide what I'm going to have for dinner until almost dinner time.

Right now, my breakfast every day is the same - chicken bone broth with cream.

Lunch is some kind of protein and added fat, and maybe a couple of cucumber slices and ranch dressing. I do keep the Atkins frozen meals in the freezer and if I have nothing for lunch, I'll take one of those to work with me. They're between 5 and 7 carbs each.

Dinner is also protein and fat. Usually once or twice a week I'll have eggs and either bacon or sausage. I love to cook, so try a few new recipes a week, but I find that if I get too far away from just protein and fat, it's a problem. Two nights ago I made Vietnamese Carmelized Pork from Low-Carbing Among Friends that was quite good. My family really like it, but I needed more fat.

I usually have nuts or cheese as a snack if I have a snack. I'm disappointed that our Costco doesn't have macadamia nuts right now (hasn't had them since August) as they are a great snack and help with the fat. I do have a small square or two of 90% cacao chocolate.

I keep my carbs between 20-30 grams a day. No fruit, no grains, no "low-carb" wraps or breads, etc., very few veggies.

I've been eating a lot of chicken wings lately (and then using the bones to make broth). That' probably what I'll be making for dinner tonight.

I also love chicken thighs coated with ranch dressing and then "breaded" with a combo of parmesan and almond flour, and then baked. I need to branch out with other thigh recipes, but I love this one so much that I can't make myself make them any other way.