Menu

arthroscopic knee surgery?

dbmamaz

I injured my knee 11 months ago. the first doc i worked with didnt know what was wrong and the next one didnt want to do surgery. i was referred to another one, and he's willing to do surgery.

and now i'm nervous! Its arthroscopic, but they have to scrape damaged bone off the back of my knee cap. He kept comparing my knee cap to an apple which got bruised and has a mushy part and you have to scrape off the mushy part.

So, some people dont have any improvement with the surgery, and i'm looking at 2 weeks of not driving, and heavy physical therapy afterwards. But i've been unable to kneel or squat or even walk up the stairs normally for 11 months.

any btdt advice or sympathy?

I had this surgery done about 11 years ago. I would just warn that if you hear of athletes having this surgery on Tuesday and then playing football on Sunday afternoon, don't expect those results :) I was on crutches for just a few days but really didn't have a lot of confidence in my knee for about 6 months and even then that knee would get really tired and swell easily for years. I just realized this year that it finally feels almost normal.

I wasn't expecting that kind of lengthy recovery and was surprised but I would do it again. Especially if you are having constant trouble with your knee!

My husband completely blew out his knee on thanksgiving. Anything that can get damaged did get torn/ripped/severed. It was crazy. The only thing they could do to fix it was to go in arthroscopicly and scrape some cartilage to clean it up some. The rest will eventually heal on it's on supposedly..or not. His knee will never be the same again..but that's beside the point.

He had it done at 8 am and was on his feet moving around by 2 pm. He has an incredibly high threshold for pain though. He does physical therapy twice a week and swims and bikes to try to get the movement back up in it. He wasn't really down at all though. He has had swelling issues and movement issues but that's due to the injury itself I think. He will be out of work for about 3 months total.

thanks. i didnt tear ANYTHING and by the time i have surgery, it will be a year-old injury. but the doc said i cant drive for 2 weeks due to the narcotics . . . but again, yeah, i hope not to be on narcotics too long. i had 3 kids natural, two without any meds at all, kwim!