Menu

Thats it, I am officially DONE with eBay!

BlueTaelon

My mom wanted me to find a coat like mine for her on ebay. I did, same model and it excellent condition. The good news is for once it really was in excellent condition. The bad news? Inside it didn't look anything like mine (lots of cool handy pockets which the coat is well known for) and the fabric was a bit different as was the weight of the coat. I figured no way this is xyz model. I called the company that makes it and gave them the model number off the tag and yep, its the correct model BUT.... they stopped making it back in 2000! So this thing is at least 13 years old AND is made from Thinsulate (which is rated to keep you warm down to -10F) which is no where near as warm as Primaloft which has been used for the past 13 years for this specific model. The auction didn't specify the Thinsulate so I had no idea, I didn't even know it used to be made that way so it didn't occur to ask. I'm irritated with both the seller and myself for not checking on how old it is and its not built with the standards I had expected which was primaloft (which is rated to keep you warm down to -40F and stops wind cold, wish I could find pants made from it lol) and waterproofing. Its freakin cold where were FINALLY moving next month and having a coat that can handle sub zero temps is kinda important.

Personally if I was selling an article of clothing that was 13 yrs old I'd be upfront because I just might have an upset buyer when the thing falls apart quickly due to age and I'd hate to do that to someone. I'd also feel obligated to point out that this is an older model and made with xyz materials and not the current one. Am I really that freakin unreasonable? The last 3 coats I got on ebay, none were as described and now this one. I need to stop trusting sellers:(

I think you should contact the seller and give her a chance to make it right. I really don't think the seller did anything wrong. You were buying a used coat in excellent shape, and that's what you got. It's likely the seller had no idea there would be such a large difference between hers and a new one. Figure out what would make you happy and ask for it. Then take it from there.

Personally if I was selling an article of clothing that was 13 yrs old I'd be upfront because I just might have an upset buyer when the thing falls apart quickly due to age and I'd hate to do that to someone. I'd also feel obligated to point out that this is an older model and made with xyz materials and not the current one. Am I really that freakin unreasonable? The last 3 coats I got on ebay, none were as described and now this one. I need to stop trusting sellers:(

I don't know about the other coats, but yes, I think you might be being unreasonable in this case. This coat may have come from a thrift store, or been given to the seller and seller has no idea how old the coat is. Why would they contact the manufacturer to verify? They would probably have no idea it was any different from their current coats. If they were specifically misleading in their listing about the materials the coat is made of, then it is worth contacting them about. Even so, they may just not have realised it if they don't know the history of the coat themselves.

Good luck! Is your mom moving with you??

I have to say that unless you are looking for a JAWM response I really do see your disgruntle as unreasonable. If it looks in great

condition and she listed it as great condition, you knew it was used. If you wanted to know the year of the coat you should have

asked before you placed a bid. Personally I would be annoyed if you back out on me for this. That's just not information that I would

consider required for a used coat.

Hope it works out somehow, though.

Guest inoubliable

Am I really that freakin unreasonable? The last 3 coats I got on ebay, none were as described and now this one. I need to stop trusting sellers:(

In this case, yes. I think it's time to stop purchasing sight-unseen. This doesn't seem to be a case of a deceitful seller.

Hope you find a coat that works for you.

I think you should contact the seller and give her a chance to make it right. I really don't think the seller did anything wrong. You were buying a used coat in excellent shape, and that's what you got. It's likely the seller had no idea there would be such a large difference between hers and a new one. Figure out what would make you happy and ask for it. Then take it from there.

:iagree: You didn't know either, when you were buying it. Maybe the coat belonged to her mother or a friend or somebody, and all she knew was that it was in great condition and listed the information she had. She listed the model, and said it was in excellent condition, which it is. I don't think she did anything wrong- sorry.

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me, right down to the age of the item. Bought a dress for about a 3 yo that was identical to the current model of that dress (one of those "heirloom" dresses), advertised as pristine. Opened the package, and the dress had age spots. Those brown spots that appear on vintage cotton. I contacted the seller who said it was 13 years old! She took it back with much grumbling and without reimbursing shipping. I posted an accurate (and calm) review on eBay, and she posted in response that I was psycho and had damaged the dress before returning it. That was 13 years ago, and I have used ebay only 4 or 5 times since. I had been a much heavier user before. I understand what you mean--it takes a lot of the fun out of the process.

Terri

Guest inoubliable

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me, right down to the age of the item. Bought a dress for about a 3 yo that was identical to the current model of that dress (one of those "heirloom" dresses), advertised as pristine. Opened the package, and the dress had age spots. Those brown spots that appear on vintage cotton. I contacted the seller who said it was 13 years old! She took it back with much grumbling and without reimbursing shipping. I posted an accurate (and calm) review on eBay, and she posted in response that I was psycho and had damaged the dress before returning it. That was 13 years ago, and I have used ebay only 4 or 5 times since. I had been a much heavier user before. I understand what you mean--it takes a lot of the fun out of the process.

Terri

I can see how that would be cause for complaint. OP's purchase wasn't damaged, though.

Guest inoubliable

I bought one thing off of Ebay back in 2008. It was a small piece of carnival glass. Maybe $12 with shipping. Paid for it and the seller sends me a message saying that Hurricane Ike is coming and he's being evacuated and that he'll send the piece after he can get back to his property. Of course, I was okay with that. Run, man! Hurricane's a'blowing! A month goes by and I drop him a line asking if everything was okay and when I could expect my shipment. He never responded, so after another two weeks I went to Ebay to ask for my money back. Ebay gave me the money back and asked the seller what happened. He came back with something about how I was refusing to pay for the item. Next thing I know, my account is frozen.

No worries. I have my refund. You can keep the account.

I do think your expectations are unreasonable. I understand that you're disappointed because the item wasn't what you expected, but I don't see how the buyer did anything wrong or misrepresented the coat in her listing. If you didn't know about the differences in the coats even though they have the same model numbers, I don't think it's fair to expect her to have known, much less to have included information about Thinsulate vs. Primaloft in the description. I'd explain the problem to the seller, assume it was an honest mistake, and take it from there.

I do think your expectations are unreasonable. I understand that you're disappointed because the item wasn't what you expected, but I don't see how the buyer did anything wrong or misrepresented the coat in her listing. If you didn't know about the differences in the coats even though they have the same model numbers, I don't think it's fair to expect her to have known, much less to have included information about Thinsulate vs. Primaloft in the description. I'd explain the problem to the seller, assume it was an honest mistake, and take it from there.

:agree:, except I wouldn't contact the seller. I'd leave it at a life lesson. I don't think the seller has any further responsibility here.

:agree:, except I wouldn't contact the seller. I'd leave it at a life lesson. I don't think the seller has any further responsibility here.

If I were the seller, I'd want to know. Once I sold about 4 bottles of flaxseed oil capsules. It was July and the time it arrived at the buyer's home the capsules had stuck together. It wasn't my fault, but I'd have taken the return. He didn't bother to ask...just gave me negative feedback. Seriously, a good seller wants to make people happy if there is a legitimate problem.

If the item description turned out to be accurate I don't think the fault is with the seller. If you needed additional specific information then you always have the opportunity to ask.

If I were in your shoes I'd be disappointed that I didn't get what I was antipating, but it wouldn't stop me from using ebay. I'd just be more careful in the future.

I have to say I've had mostly good experiences on ebay. I rarely buy clothes, though.

Usually I get good deals on ebay, the only times I've been unhappy is when buying clothes. I am downright anal when listing, I will research what I'm selling and point out anything different and any damage or what ever period. oh well, live and learn and stop buying clothing items on ebay lol:)

I have never understood the appeal of Ebay, ever. It's complicated, takes too long, I hate competing with people and having someone come in at the last minute and take it for one cent less, I just never understood the appeal. Plus, the whole buying thing from random strangers sight unseen.

I have never understood the appeal of Ebay, ever. It's complicated, takes too long, I hate competing with people and having someone come in at the last minute and take it for one cent less, I just never understood the appeal. Plus, the whole buying thing from random strangers sight unseen.

I do it because I can often get an $$$ item for cheap that we need and can't afford.

Ditto. I found the whole process far too stressful and quit participating in auctions well over a decade ago. The only time(s) I've used eBay in the years since have been very occasionally, when I couldn't find an item any other way and when there was a Buy It Now option available.

I don't think you should contact the seller. There is nothing wrong with the jacket from what you described, except it isn't exactly what you wanted. That's a risk you take when you shop e-bay. There are no tears, it doesn't smell, and the item was as described. If I was the seller I wouldn't take it back, and I'd feel put out if you asked me to.

Sorry, but if you wanted to know the manufacturing date/fabric content that was your responsibility. These are the reasons there are opprotunities for the buyer/seller to message back and forth. If you don't want the jacket, just sell back on Ebay and hopefully get your money back.

The only time I ever put a date in a post is in regards to printed material (I list edition/printing date etc). I never, ever would have put it on clothing.

I can understand being dissapointed in getting exactly what you want, but I do not see it as the sellers problem.

I have bought many times, but I only use the Buy It Now option. No bidding for me. It doesn't take any longer than buying online anywhere else. And generally I only buy from sellers who have sold thousands of items. Often these are b&m stores with an ebay presence. I've never had a bad transaction.

OP, I'm sorry you were disappointed with your purchase. I find that if it's a really good deal for something listed as Excellent - Used rather that Brand New, it's probably not the latest edition of whatever. If a purchase needs to be an exact copy of an item I already own, emailing the seller to ask those questions is the buyer's responsibility before making the purchase and there's a section on the listing to do so publicly. I've never seen listings that weren't in the Vintage section list the year a clothing item was made.

I have bought many times, but I only use the Buy It Now option. No bidding for me. It doesn't take any longer than buying online anywhere else. And generally I only buy from sellers who have sold thousands of items. Often these are b&m stores with an ebay presence. I've never had a bad transaction.

Took the words right out of my mouth, I hated eBay until they added the Buy it Now option.