Menu

Which Canon Rebel for hobby photographer?

Lady Florida.

I decided I want to save up for a digital slr camera, and probably a Canon Rebel. I'm the family photographer. Most of my photos are of holidays, family gatherings and trips, our pets in cute poses, and other everyday stuff. I also like to photograph local wildlife in our yard or when we're out and about.

Any recommendations? I don't ever plan to try and learn to take professional photographs (though of course I'm always trying to improve my ability to take good photos). I don't need the cheapest one, but I also don't need top end.

If anyone thinks I should look at a different brand, I'd like to hear that too. It's just that I've never known anyone to be sorry they got a Canon Rebel.

ETA: Also, I had a Minolta film SLR years ago, so I'm not unfamiliar with SLR, just with current/digital ones.

I have the Canon Rebel T3 and so far I really like it. I ordered the photography guides/books to go with it along with a second lens. The one it comes goes up to 55mm and the one I ordered goes up to 250mm. I use mine for scouting and family trips.

It was a Christmas gift so I am still learning. I use mostly the auto and action function but look forward to figuring out all the other functions.

Have you thought about a Nikon? We were diehard Canon people and have been saving up for digital SLR for a few years. The guy at the store explained why he thought we should go for the Nikon instead and we ended up buying a NIkon 5100. I agreed to the Nikon, mainly because while you're on "action mode" the shutter snapped much faster than on the Canon we tried. We absolutely LOVE the Nikon. The pictures and zoom are just fabulous. The colors are vivid too. The only thing we wished we had done differently is to buy the 300 zoom instead of the 200. We are regretting that one now!

We also have always bought Canon. We decided to buy a new a camera with our Christmas money and went shopping for a Canon Rebel. The guy at the camera store convinced us to go with the Nikon 3100. I haven't had it very long and I can only use it on the auto settings so far because I am a very amateur photographer, but I love the pictures it takes.

JMO,

Joy

I think most of the Canon entry level range is great for someone wanting to get an SLR for the kind of things you want. The kit lenses they come with aren't that amazing but they are fine. My friend recently bought a 650D which is the same as the T4i and really likes that. One of my cameras is a old one in this range, the 400d and it's still going strong now and it's about 7yrs old. I like Canon cameras.

Canon Rebel T4i. However, I just bought a Canon Powershot SX50 HS before Christmas. I love it. It's like an all in one, point and shoot, but on steroids! I've taken amazing pictures of the moon, action shots are great, very rarely need to use flash indoors, etc. I can easily turn off the auto and learn to play, too. I think it's a great transition camera from a point and shoot, to a dslr.

I do think the Nikon d5100 takes more vivid pictures than canons do, but I wasn't ready to spend that kind of money on a camera that apparently still has issues w/ screens going black. (read lots of reviews, many were recent, but the problem has been ongoing). And the refurbs were just as expensive as the new. So, when they get the problem taken care of, I'll probably upgrade...but not because I need to. :D

My husband didn't buy a Nikkon which is what I was looking at because off the point n shoots of Nikkon kept breaking. Price too was a factor. I can say now i wished the family gotten the 18mm - 250 mm lens because it seems i am constantly going between the 18mm-55mm and the 55mm-250mm lens.