Menu

Colds and OTC meds?

skimomma

I am in the midst of a horrendous cold. Fever, achy, sore throat, sneezing, etc..... But the worst is that every time I get any kind of cold, my nose runs non-stop. Like cannot even walk across the room without hanky in hand non-stop. It is miserable. And gross. It drives my dh nuts! My nose gets really red and hurts to even think about. This can last anywhere from 2-5 days. I hate it. It makes doing everything very difficult.

Luckily, I do not get sick often. Usually. This is the SECOND cold of the season for me and I am MAD.

I have opinions about OTC meds and I am not sure they are based on good info. I never buy or take any cold medications. And never give them to dd. I am not anti-meds in general. I will take Advil if I have a bad headache. But I have always thought that it was best to let the symptoms do their job in combatting illness. I know this is true of fevers.....that it is best to let them go (within reason) because that is the body's way of fighting infection. But I do have to wonder about the runny nose part. Is there any reason to not try to suppress a runny nose with OTC meds? Is there some sort of healing function to letting your nose run? Will I risk prolonging the illness by taking nose stuff?

Can you tell I just want a good night's sleep? I am not sure I can face another all-night-nose-blowing-a-thon.

I don;'t think it does anything to prolong your illness to take a decongestant. Just get the real stuff, pseudophedrine which is behind the counter at the pharmacist and is called Sudafed or one of the generics. Do not get the worthless stuff sold on the open shelves. Back before the meth making days (and yes, I know they made meth in the 60;s but not in the way they do now), Consumer Report and some other groups labeled the current medication being sold as worthless as in it barely works. But with the idiots using Sudafed to make meth, the feds decided to put the pills behind the counter and the clerk asks you for your DL. Then you sign a thing about you are the person and you aren't making meth. It is a hassle but either do that or don't bother since the other medication really doesn't work.

Luckily, dh went and got the real stuff during my last cold. It was the first time we had ever bought it and he said he felt like a criminal. It was during the holidays, we were traveling, and I was just trying to function enough to get by. But I never actually used it because I was afraid it would make things worse in the long run. Unfortunately, it has fever reducer in it as well which I would prefer not to take. But if it is between that and getting some sleep, I might be willing to compromise until I can get back to a store and get the isolated meds.

sleep is the best way to heal. i drug us up big-time at bedtime. other than that, i treat symptoms which are making people really miserable. i was raised to use limited cold meds, but when my little girl looked up at me and said "mommy, help!" i gave her something to make her feel better!

what drives me nuts is when parents force cold meds on kids because if they are coughing they MUST take a cough med. I give them cough meds at bedtime, or if i know we arent contagious but we are going out and i dont want to scare people!

I get well at about the same duration regardless of whether I take OTC medicine for runny nose and cough. Fever does clear faster. The good thing about OTC medicine is when I need to go out and don't wish to dehydrate from my runny nose especially during hay fever season. .Good for getting a good night sleep too especially when I have been sleeping past 1am due to my runny nose.

I don't think I've prolonged a virus by treating the symptoms. fevers are nature's way of generating heat to kill the virus. I don't think runny noses provide a similar function - other than generate more contagion as the virus is present in the drainage.

I like boironusa.com for homeopathic remedies. there is a medicine finder that you can use (it's three steps) to determine what would be the best for your symptoms.

I will take decongestants which will dry up the drainage - I rarely use an "all in one", as I prefer to control exactly what drugs I'm getting/symptoms I'm treating. I also use ibruprophen as it is an anti-inflamatory and will reduce swelling of the nasal tissues and help with drainage - I'm prone to sinus infections. (If I'm getting blocked - I will also take musinex as it will thin secretions.)

wash your hands frequently, drink LOTS of water, and sleep.

Cold medicines won't prolong your cold, they'll just relieve the symptoms. Unless I'm miserable, I usually don't take anything but only because I consider it a waste of money. (I'm not anti-meds. We fully vaccinate and all of us get the flu vaccine as well). The only time I do take something is if the symptoms are keeping me awake. Multi-symptoms meds aren't the best choice. I usually get something that targets my worst symptom. I follow this same rule for ds.

I don't tend to take mess often, but I do take a decongestant for a cold. Sudafed or Afrin or both. My colds have the same duration either way, as far as I can tell, but I'm a lot more functional and less miserable with meds! I figure if it lets me actually sleep, the meds might shorten the duration, since sleep helps the body heal. Plus I don't feel like I'm smearing germs all over my kids all day.

Take an antihistamine. It will stop your nose from running. Benadryl is a great one to take at night. It'll knock you out. Also, it's been around forever with no adverse effects.

does nothing for me when I have a cold. dipenhydramine knocks me out (for six hours then I'm wide awake. glare.) it doesn't do anything to my adult kids. It's actually the only antihistamine that works for my allergies, but I can only take it at night.

apparently, only the older antihistamine (I remember chlorpheniramine from maybe 30 years ago, but it seems like it's not available anymore.) are helpful at treating runny noses due to colds. the newer ones don't.

pseudoephedrine actually worked as a decongestant for me - but I only tolerated a 1/2 dose. now, it's super hard to find and it's replacement doens't work as well.

I tend to steer clear of OTC meds as well (haven't used any on the kids or myself for the past two years - we've found natural remedies that work as well or better).

But...I think there comes a point where your body's need for sleep and rest outweighs any potential drawback of taking OTC meds. If you stay up all night blowing your nose and don't get any rest, that hampers your ability to heal as well.

I know it's probably too late to be of any use to you tonight, but a natural alternative that might help (for future reference) is Quercetin. It's a bioflavonoid supplement that is a strong natural anti-histamine. It's very effective for allergic rhinitis (runny nose due to allergies), and can help with a runny nose brought on by a cold as well. We use this brand: http://www.amazon.com/Solaray-Quercetin-Non-Citrus-500-capsules/dp/B000TMFR84

Hope you get some relief tonight and feel better soon!

apparently, only the older antihistamine (I remember chlorpheniramine from maybe 30 years ago, but it seems like it's not available anymore.) are helpful at treating runny noses due to colds. the newer ones don't.

Chlorpheniramine is what I took all along. When I asked for that here the pharmacist said I need a prescription but kidshealth website is listing it as a OTC. I had to take double dose for that to work though as directed by my docter. I used to buy that to take on the plane just in case.

I'll ask the pharmacist again with the printout as it is a nice to have in my earthquake prep supplies.

I know it's probably too late to be of any use to you tonight, but a natural alternative that might help (for future reference) is Quercetin. It's a bioflavonoid supplement that is a strong natural anti-histamine. It's very effective for allergic rhinitis (runny nose due to allergies), and can help with a runny nose brought on by a cold as well. We use this brand: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000TMFR84

Hope you get some relief tonight and feel better soon!

Thanks for the suggestion. I would like to have something like that on hand next time. I am sure I can find it here.