Menu

Aesop's Fables

AimeeM

• 1 month later...

I love Jerry Pinkney, I may have to order this today!

FromA2Z, thanks so very much for highlighting that this was a Jerry Pinkney book -- he is one of our favorite authors & illustrators!

I have the Milo Winter from our library, where I tracked it down b/c of the high rec. from Ambleside Online, but I do not love the illustrations. The stories themselves, it seems to me, are really excellent: both rich in language and clear in plot. Milo Winter's version does have more fables than any other version I've seen -- over 140, from my quick count; the Pinkney has 60-odd, for comparison.

What we have, and what Button says he prefers to the Milo Winter, is this Classic Children's Illustrated version that includes about 55 fables. The illustrations are gorgeous -- they are by a variety of illustrators so some are line drawings and some are color -- and the language suitably rich for me. The stories themselves are harder for children to follow than Winter (see below). Do note that poor reviews seem to be coming from an inferior, paperback edition.

While Button says he prefers the Classic Children's version, perhaps because of the pictures which are larger, I've noticed that the children seem more engaged by the Milo Winter. I'll quote a bit from the Hare and the Tortoise in both to give a feel for the differences:

Milo Winter:

'A Hare was making fun of the Tortoise one day for being so slow.

"Do you ever get anywhere?" he asked with a mocking laugh.

"Yes," replied the Tortoise, "and I'll get there sooner than you think. I'll run you a race and prove it."

The Hare was much amused at the idea of running a race with the Tortoise, but for the fun of the thing he agreed. So the Fox, who had consented to act as the judge, marked off the distance and started the runners off.'

Classic Children's Illustrated

"One day a hare was boasting of his running speed and laughing at the tortoise, for being so slow. Much to the hare's surprise the tortoise challenged him to a race. The hare, looking on the whole affair as a great joke, readily consented. The fox was selected to act as umpire, and hold the stakes."

The Aesop for Children, illustrated by Milo Winter. The language is a bit antique, but I think it has the best pictures. I can’t find the exact edition we have at home on amazon.com at all, but the Dover Aesop’s Fables for Children appears to be a reprint of it—both the pictures and the layout.

This is the one we have, and we love it.

We have a couple of versions, but Wee Girl loves Mitsumasa Anno's version best.

http://www.amazon.com/Annos-Aesop-Book-Fables-Mr/dp/0531057747

There is a secondary story "around" the fables, in which Mr. Fox reads the book to his son, Freddie. Mr. Fox, not wanting to disappoint his son, pretends to be able to read English and makes up his own stories for the pictures (in which the foxes come out much more sympathetically). Wee Girl makes me read the fables first, then re-read the book with Mr. Fox's version.

It sounds gimmicky, but it's very well done, and would be worth the price just for the Aesop stories and Anno's wonderful illustrations.

We have a couple of versions, but Wee Girl loves Mitsumasa Anno's version best.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/0531057747

There is a secondary story "around" the fables, in which Mr. Fox reads the book to his son, Freddie. Mr. Fox, not wanting to disappoint his son, pretends to be able to read English and makes up his own stories for the pictures (in which the foxes come out much more sympathetically). Wee Girl makes me read the fables first, then re-read the book with Mr. Fox's version.

It sounds gimmicky, but it's very well done, and would be worth the price just for the Aesop stories and Anno's wonderful illustrations.

I'll have to check this out. We love other Anno books, but I haven't seen this yet.

One of the many versions of Aesop in our house is Once in a Wood, which was adapted by Eve Rice. My younger reader can handle most of the words on her own, which makes it a nice tie-in if you are going over the stories with older and younger readers at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...

To interject a question for all the Aesop lovers out there, are your children able to draw out the lesson themselves? My boys listen to the stories, understand the stories, but often the lesson itself eludes them. There is much direction and discussion that needs to take place for full understanding. I wonder if we wouldn't have done better waiting a few more years.

lorisuewho,

I really don't worry about the morals much. The fables' endings and morals were much tinkered with over the centuries, and the authors of children's Aesops seem to have felt particularly free to shape the morals to suit their own times. Some of the best-known fables aren't even Aesopic: The Miller, His Son, and the Donkey and Belling the Cat, for instance, are medieval, and the latter originally had a moral that was startlingly different from the one usually presented.

I say let them learn the stories and internalize them; the lessons to be drawn will find their own way through.