Menu

If you were me, what would you use for science?

kentuckymom

So, it's looking more and more likely that I'll be able to homeschool DS in the fall. Through browsing online, reading reviews, and talking with local homeschoolers, I have a pretty good idea of what I'd like to try with most subjects, but I'm still unsure about science. Obviously I don't need to make a decision yet, since the homeschooling decision isn't even firm, but I'd like to get some ideas from people who may have similar kids or just have experienced a lot of different programs.

Some info about DS:

He'll be 8.5 and in 3rd grade.

He's had very little science in the classroom in public school (according to his second quarter report card, they've covered a grand total of one science topic so far this year).

Despite that, he loves science. We've been to a lot of science museums, he loves go with his dad to observe Dad mentoring a high school FIRST Robotics team, he's watched lots of science videos, and we've read lots of science books together.

He knows more than the average adult about meteorology because, after seeing the Omnimax film Tornado Alley, he developed an obsession with severe weather, and wanted to learn as much as possible about it.

He has a smattering of knowledge about various things in other disciplines.

He loves hands on, but he also learns well through both videos and books.

He's dyslexic and behind in reading, but I'm not opposed to reading materials to him that are above his level.

Some info about me:

I think science is sort of interesting, but not the way DS and DH do. I haven't had any formal science since college, and I didn't have much then. Most of the science I still know was acquired at science museums or in reading various science books to DS.

I'm a former Spanish teacher, and I'm not opposed to pulling lessons together, but in the case of science, I need some kind of map to follow at the least, because I don't have much background knowledge.

I also have a two year old, so I can't spend tons of time planning.

What we're looking for:

I want to go back and forth between disciplines each year, at least in elementary school. I know that's not the official classical way, but I think DS would get bored doing one discipline all year, and I know I would.

Experiments/hands on things are great, but they need to be relatively easy to implement. If they come in a kit with the curriculum, that would be awesome.

If the two year can participate in the activities at her level or at least watch safely, that's a huge plus.

I'm not opposed to watching a few videos on the computer, etc, but I don't want the computer to be the main source of lessons.

We want to do science every day. He may do it in a coop once a week, so something we can do four days a week would be okay.

I'm a Christian, but I believe in a old earth and lean toward theistic evolution, so I'd prefer a secular or neutral program.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me!

There was a recent thread about interest led science; you might want to have a look at that.

Before high school, I do not follow any systematic science curricula. My kids pick their topics, get non-fiction books form the library, watch documentaries, video lectures. We go to nature centers, watch nature programs, go to the science center, planetarium etc.You can do experiments, if your kids like them (mine hate everything hands-on). In the middle grades, we may dabble a bit in the occasional textbook, but do not aim at comprehensive coverage.

My goal is to build a broad knowledge base and spark an interest in science. On that foundation, we then build a systematic science study in high school.

I have a 2nd and 3rd grader. We recently started using A Reason For Science (level B). I have been so pleased with it so far. We purchased the supply kit that goes with it and all our supplies are there for our experiments with the exception of a few items like a fresh flower that we had to purchase to do a lesson. There aren't any videos and the lessons are pretty much open and go. My kids are so pleased with it and are so excited about science that they beg to do the lessons even on weekends. It is expensive so we had to save up to purchase it, but it is well worth it to us.

Maybe Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry or Physics since he seems to like that topic. You could do nature study throughout the year with Outdoor Hour Challenges. BFSU would guide you through the year and cover various topics and provide help to you in how to teach science. Janice VanCleave books are easy to do for experiments. My Pals Are Here would be helpful for a kid who hasn't had any science.

Based on how you're describing yourself and your son, what about Nancy Larson Science?

http://www.nancylarson.com/index_hs2.html

We've ordered Level 1 for next year (when I'll have a 1st and 2nd grader), and the materials have arrived . . . it looks fabulous! My husband is in the medical field, and has had a great deal of science, and he is very impressed with this curriculum. I'm very impressed that it's put together for me, and will require almost no prep work . . . but it looks truly fun and effective for my kids. :)

Hope this helps . . .

I loved using Evan-Moore Daily Science grade 1 with an adult with severe dyslexia. The reading is simple, but explicitly introduces important vocabulary. Even though the weekly themes are simple, the "Big Ideas" are...well...big ideas, that are often not tackled until later grade levels. And the weekly themes although simple are fun and easy to find supplements for at the library. Make sure to read the teacher guide pages and not just judge the curriculum off the student pages. The Big Ideas are the meat of the program. The weekly themes are just illustrations of the Big Ideas.

The only reason I stopped using EM Daily Science is because my core curriculum has science included and it overlaps with the other content subjects. It's good enough, and good enough is good enough, if you know what I mean.

We didn't do the workbook pages even though there is NOTHING wrong with them. We did a lot of copywork, drawing and notebooking instead.

Also take a look at the Magic School Bus DVD set. There are frequent threads about where it is currently the least expensive. I got all 52 episodes for $29.99. Magic School bus is magical in how much science a student can learn with so little effort.

If you like science DVDs I also like Cat in the Hat and Bill Nye Science Guy. I sometimes get those from the library. Cat in the Hat can look too basic, but really we sometimes fail to understand how little our students know when being introduced to a new topic. Learning 3 new science words/concepts in 1/2 an hour is not insignificant, especially when followed up with a Magic School Bus that they will be better prepared to understand. Bill Nye can be too fast and vague. I always save him for last, after the student has been better prepared. If nothing else, Bill usually does a demonstration that is either too complicated to do at home so watching the video is an important opportunity to see it, or does an demonstration the child can repeat later. Either way it's good.

Your ds sounds like a great kid, very motivated. My suggestion would to build on his enthusiasm and interests. Project oriented science, rather tahn a formal program, might be one way to go. For example:

-- Build a proper weather station with analog, not digital, instruments. If someone in your family is handy, it could all be put in a proper weather station box -- called a Stevenson box, I believe. Keep records.

-- Build a Galileoscope (inexpensive telescope). Join a local astronomy club. Don't get a telescope now, but consider astronomy binoculars and a tripod. Not for 2 year old, since it's at night, obviously. Download free planetarium software, such as stellarium.

-- Get a rock collection, go to rock/mineral shows.

-- Chemistry set, Snap Circuits, K'nex Education sets, etc

-- Delta Science kits, Science Wiz kits. WTM has a number of recommendations.

-- Since your ds seems to have learned a lot from videos, I'd keep on with this. I don't think you should feel guilty.

-- Nature centers, walks, etc. A lot (at least in out area) have family programs that accommodate a range of ages.

One note -- you might want to check programs carefully, since you say you want secular or 'neutral.' Some programs that bill themselves as neutral are actually not that neutral. It will depend on your individual family's perspective. We do secular science in our family, and I have often been rather surprized at some content -- or lack of content -- in 'neutral' programs. Just double check that things are a good fit for your family.

There is one poster on here who has EXCELLENT ideas on the kind of science your ds might like. Her name begins with l and ends with mama, I think. Someone, help identify!!!

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

QTMom: I'd never come across A Reason For Science. It looks pretty neat, but it looks like there's only one lesson a week, and that's not as much science content as I'm looking for. Or am I missing something?

Yes, it is made to only do once a week. There are 36 lessons. We started it after Christmas, so we are doing it 2 times a week and adding extras about our lessons from library books, videos, research, etc. wherever possible on the other days. We do MFW Adventures which has science built in, but my kids wanted more science (especially lessons with experiments).

My daughter's science was primarily interest-led until middle school, including science activities through Girl Scouts, science museum, nature center, participation in library programs, and homeschool science competition teams (Science Olympiad and FIRST Lego League). We did a lot of Magic School Bus and Bill Nye at that age. I think the Magic School Bus books might be in his reading range, but, if not, they also put out Magic School Bus readers. Here's a link to experiments to go along with MSB http://www.scholastic.com/magicschoolbus/games/experiments/index.htm. There's also a MSB Science Club with experiment kits you might want to explore http://www.theyoungscientistsclub.com/themagicschoolbus/.

In 3rd grade, I think he's old enough to begin participating in Science Olympiad, if there's a homeschool elementary team available in your area. We did both that and FIRST Lego League (different years) and I found that SO gave us a better experience because the teams split into subgroups and compete in individual events on a variety of topics. My daughter was 9 on a mixed age team for FLL and really didn't get to do a lot, so I'd suggest looking at a team more closely tied to his age/ability level if you want to try that.

Other options include classes/groups at local science museums or nature centers, as well as 4H (they have a *ton* of science-related activities and tend to be inexpensive--http://www.4-h.org/youth-development-programs/4-h-science-programs/). You could also likely find the "What your ___ grader needs to know" Core Knowledge series of books at your local library to give you an idea of topics to cover at various ages. The Baltimore Curriculum Project has some lesson plants to go along with them http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons/draft_lessons.html. MSNucleus also has free lesson plans for elementary on science topics http://www.msnucleus.org/membership/k-6.html.

Now, one caveat---my daughter is not science-oriented, she's more focused on art. You may want something more organized for this age than we used. My friend who is a chemist and whose daughters are much more science-oriented liked Pandia Press' R.E. A. L Science Odyssey for elementary-- http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=50. They provide a substantial free download to see if you think the program will work for you before you buy.

Thanks for all the advice! I really like the look of Nancy Larson Science, and it's gotten a lot of good reviews both here and elsewhere. It seems like those who don't like it either have a strong science background and want to do their own thing and/or hate scripted programs. I definitely don't have a strong science background, and I don't think I'd mind a script for something I don't know well.

I also appreciate all the ideas for interest led studies and projects. I think my best plan would be to use Nancy Larson as our base, and add in some interest led studies and projects once or twice a week as time permits.

We are also using Nancy Larson Science, and love it. Even the first unit of science 1, which is human development, (which I thought would be stupid) has been interesting to my kids. I will say if your child reads, the script is directed towards a child that can't (in science 1)..... which doesn't bother me, because I have him read it to me instead of me reading it to him. Like any scripted program, you may have to tweak words here or there.