Menu

is AoPS a logical next step after Singapore?

I'm on the early end of researching this, but I need a plan for after Singapore 6A/6B. 2 students, strong in math, but not startlingly gifted or anything; I grew up with a shaky math program and want them to have better than I did.

They're doing fine in Singapore, but I want them rock-solid prepared for the high school maths (which I honestly don't plan to teach them - I think I could guide through Algebra I and II and Geometry, but that maxes out my skill set).

I searched for other threads on this but have a hard time navigating the boards sometimes - I want to use the upcoming middle years wisely, not just tread mathematical waters waiting for 9th grade.

Thoughts?

I continued on with upper level singapore which worked really well for us. I would think the Discovering Mathematics Common Core would be a good thing for middle school. They are changing around their books, but its a solid program

Life of Fred fractions, decimals and the two pre-algebra books are also strong, although some people find the politics in the economics books to be a bit overwhelming. Thats a fun and rigorous prep for algebra. Although i think level 6 really covers most of that?

AoPS is a very different approach to math, where the kids have to figure out the answers themselves, to some extent, instead of being shown how to do a problem and then doing that same kind of problem. So its a great program, but not for everyone. they have an online component you can sign up for for free to see some sample problems.

I would not consider AoPS a logical step because it is a unique approach geared towards strong and interested math students who do well with a discovery based method and are willing to go above and beyond the scope of a traditional curriculum. It is a fantastic program for the right student, but does definitely not work for every student. You might want to look at the samples on their website to see if it would be worth a try for your kids.

I would not consider AoPS a logical step because it is a unique approach geared towards strong and interested math students who do well with a discovery based method and are willing to go above and beyond the scope of a traditional curriculum. It is a fantastic program for the right student, but does definitely not work for every student. You might want to look at the samples on their website to see if it would be worth a try for your kids.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

My DS will probably switch to AOPS at some point (he's doing BA 3 along with Singapore 3) because he's the kind of kid who loves math puzzles.

My oldest is good at math, but the "discovery" approach would be a really bad "fit" for her. She is doing DM 7 now and I do plan on continuing on to DM 8. After that, it remains TBD whether she will complete the DM series or switch to the traditional sequence. I feel confident in my ability to teach pre-algebra and algebra 1, but beyond that I may need to outsource.

My son was at the same point last year and seems like a similar student. He's strong in math, SM didn't make him break a sweat, but he's not passionate about the subject. It is just something he does (with good attitude) because it is required of him.

I gave him lots of options for pre-algebra. It was suggested to me that we use the Key To Algebra series combined with TOPS units "Math lab" and "Probability". I also considered kinetic text (? is that the name) and a few others. I considered a standard middle school text book along with the videos on the text website.

In the end he chose AoPS. I showed him the videos for the pre-algebra course on the website, we even used a couple during SM 6b, and he insisted we try it. We took a big $ leap and signed him up for the online class.

It has been, for the most part, a good decision. My son isn't very interested in the discovery method, but he does like the challenge. I don't think we could have managed without the online class. My husband committed to being the tutor for the year. Now, my husband would have adored AoPS as a boy! This is the sort of challenge he lives for.

DS watches the videos and then looks at the text. He is making the program work for him in a way that he can manage. He has gained a huge amount of confidence in math and feels much more capable in the subject. That said, he has his dad in the house for lots of guidance. I am starting to think my dh missed his calling as a math teacher, lol. He has been amazing. DH has been very good at providing guidance without spoon feeding ds. He is very careful to use the same language and style from the class and book. But, I am pretty sure ds wouldn't be learning and growing as much without his dad as a personal tutor.

I wish he could continue with AoPS for Algebra 1, but I really think we need the support of the online class. AoPS does have online classes for Algebra 1, but they cover the whole of Algebra 1 in one semester. I understand why, but I think my son would do better with a more deliberate pace.

So, all of this is to let you know that my kid went from Earlybird SM through 6b (with some Miquon and LOF) and into AoPS, but it wasn't necessarily the 'logical next step.' AoPS is very different from SM. It is different from anything else. If you can afford it, I suggest you get the books and really check it out. They have a good resale value (I bought mine from someone and was happy to pay close to full price). If it doesn't seem like an absolute perfect fit, but you think it is not out of the question, then decide for yourself if it fits your style of teaching or way of thinking. My DH looked at the book and said "I can help him. This works for me" and that is what made the decision for us. He has been glad to have the online class though. He is upfront that his skills are quite rusty. He took it upon himself to sign up for a Courseara Algebra class this spring.

DS done 6a/b before move to AOPS. It is certainly a great self teach resource for kids who prefer work independently. However, I personally do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling that my son mastered the topic after he done with each chapter. We add NEM for extra review and practice

DS done 6a/b before move to AOPS. It is certainly a great self teach resource for kids who prefer work independently. However, I personally do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling that my son mastered the topic after he done with each chapter.

Could you explain what you mean by that?

I personally am sure that, if my students are able to solve all review problems, including challenge ones, they have thoroughly mastered the material - because otherwise they would not have been able to solve the problems.

Could you explain what you mean by that?

I personally am sure that, if my students are able to solve all review problems, including challenge ones, they have thoroughly mastered the material - because otherwise they would not have been able to solve the problems.

Even when he solve the chapter review problem. He sometimes has to go back to the chapter to find similar problems and look at how it was done before. He did solve it, but to me, that material still not "his".

DS done 6a/b before move to AOPS. It is certainly a great self teach resource for kids who prefer work independently. However, I personally do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling that my son mastered the topic after he done with each chapter. We add NEM for extra review and practice
Could you explain what you mean by that? I personally am sure that, if my students are able to solve all review problems, including challenge ones, they have thoroughly mastered the material - because otherwise they would not have been able to solve the problems.
Even when he solve the chapter review problem. He sometimes has to go back to the chapter to find similar problems and look at how it was done before. He did solve it, but to me, that material still not "his".

FWIW, I think that Jenny is working with an especially young child (for AoPS), which often requires a bit more review than working with children of logic-stage age.

FWIW, I think that Jenny is working with an especially young child (for AoPS), which often requires a bit more review than working with children of logic-stage age.

My kid just not smart enough :)

I do want to add that the last section of chapter 6 and 7 was very very hard on my son( percent problems and rate problems). To the point we skip all the challenging problem related to those 2 section.. It was not pretty when we were on those 2 sections. Lots of tears. That also contribute to my feeling that a round of NEM is warrant

I thought I posted this the other day, but I don't see it now - THANK YOU to all of you who shared thoughts here. I really appreciate the feedback.

Also discovered that I have BJU pre-algebra and algebra hiding down on my basement shelves - haven't done any BJU to this point, but it looks like a solid program?

A friend also suggested to me Math Counts, to "spice up" the middle school years without taxing them out on math. Now I need to go look up the sequence options for high school so I can figure out where I want them to be at the end of 8th grade (I know I can't plan that entirely, but just for general "target" goals.)

Really appreciate the thoughts here - thank you again!