Menu

Has anyone ever done a juice fast?

mytwomonkeys

I did in my pre kids days. It is draining, but works. I would do 48 hours when I hit a plateau in my weight loss. I could lose 5 lbs in those 2 days. The weight will come right back on if you back to eating regularly. But the day after my appetite would be less. Oh and don't go to far from a bathroom ;) .

i don't need to lose weight really, but i would like to do a juice fast for health purposes. i ordered a juicer & my husband is going to join me. i was just curious to read success stories from those who have BTDT. this is really new territory for us.

did you add anything specifically for protein, or is that unnecessary?

where did you find recipes? any free websites that you like or recipes that you love?

i can purchase a book too of course, but free is appreciated as well :)

I did one. It was last year and I did it for 10 days. It was part of a detox regimen trying to determine what food allergies I may have. It was difficult but well worth it. I don't think I would do it for weight loss though. As a PP stated, weight usually comes right back as soon as you resume regular eating.

I know a couple of women who do the juice diet right before a big event (like a wedding) to lose the tummy bloat so they look better in the form fitting dresses.

Guest inoubliable

I've never done a juice fast for weight loss. I've done them to get a nice reboot going after holiday eating or after getting over an illness or when I've just been feeling...blah. I've never lost weight or gained after going back to eating food afterwards. I'm vegan, though, so maybe that has something to do with it. You can get protein supplements to put in there, but really there are plenty of veggies you can throw in with protein. Here's a link I found with a quick Google search. http://www.rawpeople.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=594&Itemid=110 Here's another: http://www.livestrong.com/article/535844-protein-with-a-juice-fast

There's a documentary on Netflix.... Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Might give you some ideas on recipes. I think there's a website associated with it now, too. The documentary outlines some information on doing a fast for wellness, not just weight loss.

I've done two juice fasts - one for 10 days and another for 12 days.

I completed my first juice fast 4 years ago. This was a standard juice fast (nothing but freshly juiced fruits and veggies, water, and herbal teas). I never really felt hungry (just got bored with the juices after awhile). The first few days were difficult as I was detoxing (some headaches, body aches, etc.) but after that I felt amazing. My energy level was high, I slept better than I had in years, and was able to keep up with my regular activities. I lost 11 lbs in 10 days.

I completed the second one this past December. This time, I decided to do the Master Cleanse, where you drink only freshly squeezed lemon juice mixed with a few other ingredients (in addition to water and herbal teas). Again, the first 2-3 days were difficult and after that I felt fine. However, I didn't have as much energy on the Master Cleanse as I did on my previous juice fast, where I was juicing a variety of fruits and veggies. I lost 13 lbs in 12 days.

It's a great way to detox. If your goal is to lose weight, it's also a fantastic way to kick start your weight loss. I actually find it easier to fast than to diet. Mentally, it's easier for me to stick to "no food" than "limited food" for some reason. I do recommend reading up on it before you start (there are lots of good resources online) so you know what to expect in the different stages of the fast and how to break your fast properly. How you come off the fast is very important, as you can really shock your system if you don't do it correctly.

I've never done a juice fast for weight loss. I've done them to get a nice reboot going after holiday eating or after getting over an illness or when I've just been feeling...blah. I've never lost weight or gained after going back to eating food afterwards. I'm vegan, though, so maybe that has something to do with it. You can get protein supplements to put in there, but really there are plenty of veggies you can throw in with protein. Here's a link I found with a quick Google search. http://www.rawpeople...=594&Itemid=110 Here's another: http://www.livestron...th-a-juice-fast

There's a documentary on Netflix.... Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Might give you some ideas on recipes. I think there's a website associated with it now, too. The documentary outlines some information on doing a fast for wellness, not just weight loss.

thank you! and that documentary is what has motivated us! lol. we've seen it a couple of times & i love it!

Guest inoubliable

thank you! and that documentary is what has motivated us! lol. we've seen it a couple of times & i love it!

:) Let me just say that it sounds awful, but, kale really is amazing in any juice you do. And, tossing in an apple or two can make just about any combo sweet and palatable if you're not used to veggies. I managed to get my meat-and-potatoes best friend to enjoy a few juices with me by sneaking in some apples.

I love to do them periodically. I never did it for weight loss, it was always just to reboot! I found that i had lots of energy during, but especially after the juice fast. I usually do them for 5 to 7 days.

It was always hard to start because things always seemed to pop up(a party i had to attend, friends coming over for dinner, or any such thing). But once I always loved it. For me, the important thing was to never let yourself get hungry. The one fast where I got hungry, I seemed never able to get ahead of the hunger. I found that a bunch of small juices were better than three big ones. I sometimes had a few aches and pains, but nothing major. The juice fasts were always easier with a buddy! (and the juicer is easier to clean RIGHT away!)

The most amazing thing for me about the juice fast was how wonderful veggies tasted afterwards and that I craved veggies! I tried to put veggies in my juices I didn't normally eat. And yes, apples to make some of the combinations palatable. Its a great experience, try it!

Guest inoubliable

Thanks everyone! We are going to do a 10 day fast. My husband is doing it too, so it will be easier.

KK, we love kale! I already put kale or spinach in our smoothies, so it should a simple adaption i hope :-).

Fantastic! When are you starting? I might start one in the next couple of days, too. Been feeling a bit blah and stressed lately. A few days of juicing always helps to clear my mind.

We may be part of a very very VERY small group of people who enjoy kale, then. LOL. We love the stuff over here! Strangely, we haven't gotten around to trying the kale chips that so many people go on about. I may have to fix that soon.

We are starting on the 15th when my husband gets paid. Im going to detox off caffeine over the next couple of weeks. We just received our juicer saturday and im going to go to the store tonight for fresh fruit. We are really excited!! I want to figure out a few recipes first.

Kale chips are really yummy! They have a little bit of any aftertaste, but we like them. Just toss them in olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake and eat!! So simple!

Totally do a juice fast! You should wait until the 15th. We can starve together! lol. It will be awesome!

I did a search and came across this thread, yay! Dh & I are going to do our 1st juice fast too. I'm going to do 5 days starting on Feb 6th and dh is going to do 3 days starting on the 8th. He wanted to go longer but with the way his work is we just can't figure out a way for him to have juice with him & he works 12.5 hr shifts so he can't go without all that time. So anyways he gets 3 day weekends so he's just going to do it during that time.

I'm excited! OP, I'm doing it just for the health benefits as well. Do you exercise regularly? I haven't found any solid info on whether or not I should continue working out. I workout pretty hard 6 days a week (usually doing Insanity) but I'm thinking maybe I could do a lighter workout? I go a little crazy when I can't workout & I hate the thought of not working out for 5 days straight.

Oh and I love kale too & yes kale chips are awesome! No one else in my family likes it though. Right now I'm trying to get my garden going so that the next time we do a juice fast it won't be so expensive!

I have tried but I always wind up ravenous by the first afternoon or evening and blow it. I was trying to do the at-home version of the Blue Print Cleanse.

Now what I can do is substitute the juices for breakfast and dinner and do soup & salad for lunch. I did that for a week after New Year's to detox all the holiday junk out of my body.

Guest inoubliable

Aww. I should have read this thread earlier! I could have started today, too, but I've already had a muffin. Looks like I'll be starting on Monday.

I've started using my juicer & love it. question though: what am i supposed to do with all of the pulp? i've googled it, & a lot came up (almost too much), so i thought asking here might yield tried and true results. i know when i make almond milk, i can dehydrate it. surely, i can use this pulp for some good too?