Menu

Here is a start.

I'll see if I can find you an actual schedule.

Rats. Lial is difficult to work with.

For Sailor Dude's geometry course, I was able to find several assignment schedules for his Larson textbook because it is a common high school text. Lial shows up more often in the college courses than in the high school courses, so those schedules are protected by access codes.

Does anyone have one for the 8th edition? I know it's easy to just do the next thing, but I didn't know if there were certain areas that might take longer to get through. I've tried to look online with few results. Thanks.

We are doing it right now. Here is how we do it:

Chapters 1-6 (assuming your student's algebra 1 is solid), this part is basically review from algebra 1

One lesson a day, assign odd problems; one day for chapter test. Depending on how your student does on chapter test, spend 0-2 days on chapter review exercise.

Chapters 7-10, this part has some review from algebra 1 and some new material

Spend 1-2 days on each lesson, assign odd problems; one day for chapter test. Again, whether to do chapter review exercise depends on the chapter test.

Chapters 11-12, completely new material

Spend 2 days on each lesson, assign all problems, spend 2 days on chapter review exercise, then one day for chapter test.

We did a lesson a day until we hit chapter 11, but I do see some students needing more time on each lesson from chapter 7- chapter 10. Adjust according to your student's need, I see spending 1-5 days on a lesson to be reasonable. I think chapter review exercises and cumulative review exercises are for extra practice, if you don't think your student grasp a chapter's concept firmly, assign those, if he does fine, just move on.

Do leave more time for chapter 11 and 12. My math able son who has never found math difficult says they are challenging. We still only spend 2 days on a lesson for these chapters, but I see spending anywhere from 2-5 days reasonable. We are almost done with the book, but I plan to have ds go back and do the cumulative exercises for chapters 9-12 to see if there are any holes I need to patch up.

Odd one out...just do the next thing. Aim for a minimum of one lesson every two days. BUT, try making it a time thing because some lessons do not require two days, especially early on. Even in the later chapters, the first lessons can be pretty easy. Maybe set working for either 1-1 1/2 hours or one full lesson, whichever comes first/with a minimum of a half lesson. Definitely only working odd problems. Complicated enough?

We are doing it right now. Here is how we do it: Chapters 1-6 (assuming your student's algebra 1 is solid), this part is basically review from algebra 1 One lesson a day, assign odd problems; one day for chapter test. Depending on how your student does on chapter test, spend 0-2 days on chapter review exercise. Chapters 7-10, this part has some review from algebra 1 and some new material Spend 1-2 days on each lesson, assign odd problems; one day for chapter test. Again, whether to do chapter review exercise depends on the chapter test. Chapters 11-12, completely new material Spend 2 days on each lesson, assign all problems, spend 2 days on chapter review exercise, then one day for chapter test. We did a lesson a day until we hit chapter 11, but I do see some students needing more time on each lesson from chapter 7- chapter 10. Adjust according to your student's need, I see spending 1-5 days on a lesson to be reasonable. I think chapter review exercises and cumulative review exercises are for extra practice, if you don't think your student grasp a chapter's concept firmly, assign those, if he does fine, just move on. Do leave more time for chapter 11 and 12. My math able son who has never found math difficult says they are challenging. We still only spend 2 days on a lesson for these chapters, but I see spending anywhere from 2-5 days reasonable. We are almost done with the book, but I plan to have ds go back and do the cumulative exercises for chapters 9-12 to see if there are any holes I need to patch up.

This is what I needed to hear, thank you.

Odd one out...just do the next thing. Aim for a minimum of one lesson every two days. BUT, try making it a time thing because some lessons do not require two days, especially early on. Even in the later chapters, the first lessons can be pretty easy. Maybe set working for either 1-1 1/2 hours or one full lesson, whichever comes first/with a minimum of a half lesson. Definitely only working odd problems. Complicated enough?

Just knowing to do the odds is helpful. I like do the next thing in math, but it creates an illusion for me; that ds being productive in this chapter will transfer to being productive in subsequent chapters. Besides, you know how I do enjoy complicating things, it's a gift. :D

I allow 2 days per lesson (book is set up for block scheduling not daily lessons). This averages 20-30 problems working only the odds. For most students this will be about an hour of work. I do not assign the 'Relating Concepts' questions.

I assign all problems of the chapter review (with the mixed review section optional) and give 1-2 days (depending on problem type).

Test-- 1 day

At this pace you will complete the text (wth a few extra weeks left over) in a typical school year.

A naturally strong math student will be able to complete the program sooner-- but the average student needs 2 days for the lesson.

I allow 2 days per lesson (book is set up for block scheduling not daily lessons). This averages 20-30 problems working only the odds. For most students this will be about an hour of work. I do not assign the 'Relating Concepts' questions.

I assign all problems of the chapter review (with the mixed review section optional) and give 1-2 days (depending on problem type).

Test-- 1 day

At this pace you will complete the text (wth a few extra weeks left over) in a typical school year.

A naturally strong math student will be able to complete the program sooner-- but the average student needs 2 days for the lesson.

Thank you, we do block schedule math anyway (on a weekly level), so that will work.