Menu

Non-drowsy allergy medicine?

dirty ethel rackham

I have an event tomorrow a couple of hours away and will be spending some time at a friend's house who has a couple of cats. I am allergic to cats, but I usually don't have a problem visiting people with cats as long as I don't pet them. However, I react fairly strongly to my friend's cats (itchy eyes, hoarseness and I get a little wheezy.) One is a Russian Blue and the other one may be a "blue" mix. Her house is immaculate so it is something about these particular cats. Since I will be making the 2 hour drive later in the evening, I need allergy medicine that will be safe for driving. Since my only other allergies are food related, the only thing I keep around is Benadryl, which does make me drowsy. Any suggestions on what I should get?

Just in response to the above posts, Claritan doesn't contain decongestants, which is probably why it doesn't control all the allergies. It's never made me sleepy. Zyrtec can make oodles of people sleepy, me for one to the point of non-function as does benedryl.

There's a Sudafed that I take but it's generic and does pretty good, because it doen't contain a bunch of "junk". Equate brand, but you have to get it over the counter. (Walmart) that contains 30mg as opposed to 10mg and it doesn't make me sleepy. It also doesn't contain Ibuprofen or Tylenol, which I like, because I can add that if needed.

So you may want to ask a pharmacist if you can't decide.