Menu

How to chew with molar build-ups (re: orthodontia treatment)

Pegasus

DD13 just had braces placed yesterday. Since her top teeth could hit the bottom brackets, they added globs of a blue substance to a couple of her back molars to keep her teeth from touching. Great, now her teeth no longer hit the brackets but how is this poor kid supposed to chew her food?

Did they do a messy job or something? Does she feel "globs" or "bumps" as opposed to smoothness? My son had to have this done when he got his braces, but he was able to chew perfectly fine. They just "built up" his teeth. He had his on for almost 2 years with no issues.

~coffee~

My son had to have this done when he got his braces, but he was able to chew perfectly fine. They just "built up" his teeth. He had his on for almost 2 years with no issues.

Same here with ds1. It might have taken a day or two to get used to but it wasn't something that really bothered him.

I appreciate the feedback and certainly hope that DD is able to quickly get used to it. I guess I just can't quite figure out how it would NOT be a problem for her teeth not to touch if she wanted to eat something that required chewing. So far, she's only eating things like applesauce and yogurt that she can just swallow.

Poor kiddo, our 12 year old got hers on Tuesday as well and also had to have her back teeth built up. I think it is just a matter of adjusting, she is really sore and pretty miserable.

I found this website yesterday trying to find something to help.

http://www.dentakit.com/howtomayobrs.html

Ended up ordering some Rincinol and it is coming today, hope it helps her. We got liquid for $10 not the expensive stuff on that website.