Menu

If you had $5K that HAD to be spent right away....

mitzvahmommy

How would one go about finding these "What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know" originals and know that they are the originals?

You can save on shipping by buying multiple volumes from the same seller at Thriftbooks.com. Look for the hardcover Doubleday versions published in the early 1990's. They usually start at $3.95 (that includes the shipping), with a 50 cent discount on each additional book. Sometimes you get an e-mail coupon deal on top of that.

For less than $24.00 you get a complete K-8 or 1-6 curriculum depending on how you schedule the books. The original grade 6 book is what is mostly in the revised grades 7 and 8 scope and sequence (the revised series never published the grades 7 and 8 books). The revised K book is mostly the original 1st grade content and bits and pieces also pulled from later books. It really is okay to stretch this series out over more than 6 years.

The revised series is pretty and expanded, but it's disorganized and incomplete. The original hardcover version is an amazing bargain, and a better spine than so many more expensive options.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We get a pretty decent budget so I have had the fun of spending alot. Here are some fun stuff I have gotten or will be purchasing...

Lego Wedo Robotics and get the curriculum, software and resource kit

Lego Simple Machines (don't have this yet but getting it this summer)

Lego Mindstorm

Duplo Tech Machines (just got these and they are pretty cool)

Knex makes a simple machine I am getting this over the summer

Duplo simple machines was pretty cool

SNap Circuit and get the biggest kit they have this will last for years

Ipad with apps not a big tech person but we do use this even just for doing worksheets

Ravensburger puzzles

Haba and Ravensburger Games

A really nice set of Unit blocks.

If part of the deal is limited acess to books I would buy tons of books. Thats where alot of our budget goes to. Even if you have library acess I would probally build up your personal library a little. Its nice to have a good collection of picture books at least in the home.

I actually posted something similar last year and got a lot of good responses. It sure is fun when you get money to spend. THat is one thing I truely love about being overseas.

Unfortunately, as you have said, you don't yet have a good feel for exactly what will work for your kids over the next few years. Honestly, I've been homeschooling for 8 years and still have curriculum choices that I'm *positive* will be a good fit turn out to be flops (sometimes expensive flops). That's only with one child, and I've seen many, many people say they've found that it's not uncommon for different kids in the family to do better with different curricula. In your situation, I would look at a few basic things----curriculum you want to use next year, Knex or Legos or Kapla blocks if your kids like those, snap circuits, a good ipad/android tablet and laptop, some nice art supplies, and a good laser printer with extra toner. Check with local museums for memberships (check to see if they have reciprocal membership privileges to other museums---for instance, one of our nature centers has a reciprocal agreement with both science museums and zoos). If the library system in the next county over has better resources in print or online (as in our case), get a lifetime membership if you can. We did when we first moved 6 years ago---it was $100 for lifetime for the household or $25 per year. We did the lifetime and, the next year, they quit doing lifetime memberships and upped the per year price to $35. The lifetime has more than paid for itself.

After that, I would take what's left over and put it in a certificate of deposit or in more than one with staggered maturity dates (say 6 month, 1 year)--depends on the amount you have left and the minimums banks require to open them (bankrate.com shows how various banks handle cds). That will preserve your funds in a place that isn't accessible without a stiff penalty (if the concern is that it will get spent on other things), earn a bit of interest, is insured (unlike giftcards), and give you the flexibility to change curricula or memberships as you learn your way rather than feel you *have* to use what you've already bought. If you get to the 6 month or 1year maturity date and don't need the money then, roll it into another cd. You may also find that some are available which will allow you to change your rate a certain number of times if rates go up over the life of the cd. Curricula options change all the time, so who knows what will be available that you will want in a year or 3 :001_smile: .

Ooh, I love the idea of sensory tools! I covet the items I see in those catalogs, but normally can't even consider buying them. Nope, can't buy gift certificates, it must all be truly spent. With five kids, would you buy one iPad and one iMac, or is a less expensive laptop for each of the older boys and an iPad for everyone to share more ideal? We have one iPad now which is in constant use by all ages, but I don't personally like to work on the iPad for true typing work. I can't imagine that they will practice their typing ( which they do now on our ancient desktop PC) on an iPad. Does anyone have kids using the iPad for all school work, or is it mostly used for apps, and a laptop will become more necessary as they grow older?

I would buy a desktop iMac and get everyone their own iPad. I'd also buy a ton of living history and science e-books and load them on to the iPad kindle app. I would also buy and download Math Mammoth and the BF guides for science and world history and purchase their corresponding e-books as well. Not all of these books are available in e-format, so for those I would buy the physical copies. I'd buy lots of history and science encyclopedias. I'd buy the Map Trek map packages. I'd buy a laser printer.

I'd look into Waldorf art supplies as they are very high quality. We love the stockmar watercolors, beeswax crayons, mercurous chalk, beeswax modeling clay, natural paintbrushes, watercolor paper, watercolor pencils, Prismacolor pencil sets (several of the high quality line).

I'd download Spanish songs and lyrics.

I'd buy boxes and boxes of Strathmore spiral pads for lesson books. I pay about $100/year for ours- we go through one per month for each child.

I'd buy lots of copy paper, art paper, construction paper...

I know that you said your dc are still so young that you don't know which math will work for them, etc. but honestly, the longer I've been homeschooling the more I realize that sticking to what you envision for them is the best way to go. I recently read on the CM website that she recommended simply sticking with a regular math text and if it isn't working, adjust your teaching style. So, as I am currently pondering the best math for my 9yr old this upcoming fall, I realize that I need to simply do what is best for me as the teacher to implement it in the best way for him. For me, this means utilizing a downloadable curriculum so I can take it with us wherever we go, and also that it has clear, short lessons already laid out for me. My point is think about what YOU want to teach and how, and invest in those materials and make them work :)

You can save on shipping by buying multiple volumes from the same seller at Thriftbooks.com. Look for the hardcover Doubleday versions published in the early 1990's. They usually start at $3.95 (that includes the shipping), with a 50 cent discount on each additional book. Sometimes you get an e-mail coupon deal on top of that.

For less than $24.00 you get a complete K-8 or 1-6 curriculum depending on how you schedule the books. The original grade 6 book is what is mostly in the revised grades 7 and 8 scope and sequence (the revised series never published the grades 7 and 8 books). The revised K book is mostly the original 1st grade content and bits and pieces also pulled from later books. It really is okay to stretch this series out over more than 6 years.

The revised series is pretty and expanded, but it's disorganized and incomplete. The original hardcover version is an amazing bargain, and a better spine than so many more expensive options.

Thanks Hunter! I used to check these out of the library back in the day. Now I' ve got my own set on the way!

Small additions, but favorites here include the complete Jonathan Park Adventure audio Drama Series (creation science woven into high adventure drama) and The Kingdom Series audios by Chuck Black (medieval allegory of the Bible). Perhaps Narnia on audio....

If we had lots to spend though? Lego Robotics for one child and computer programming courses for my spectrum teen.

Love the organizing/supply ideas too!

Maybe some fun games? Settlers of Catan and it's many versions seem to have international appeal and really requires logic, planning ahead, and even relying on community. My chess lovers fell in love with this one the first time they played it.

Hands down? Gift cards to use later when you'll need stuff...just be sure they are from reputable companies that will be around later.

Color laser printer.

Do not buy giftcards to use more than 1 year down the line unless you are in a state where service fees for unused cards and expiration dates are legally barred. Most companies set and expiration date and/or deduct $ from the balance each month after it goes unused for a year. Lame. In my state they can't do that, but that is not the case everywhere.

Guest ajnielsen

Everyone in our family loves our BrainPop subscription. My kids start nearly every day with the video of the day and learn all sorts of things that they wouldn't otherwise. I use it to introduce new topics and give an overview before we start a new concept. DK and Usborne books are also a great way to get kids interested in learning.

Most of my thoughts have already appeared here, in terms of things like microscope, musical instrument, art supplies.

Have you got any sense of what the children are like and thus what curricula might be good fits? If not, maybe a few of the more expensive, but generally excellent ones, like MCT, IEW, Writer's Jungle for lang arts, for example to have available and that can be used again and again. If you do have a sense of the children at this point, or at least the oldest of them, maybe post more and that would help with ideas.

Other ideas: Our (vegetable) garden has been absolutely invaluable for learning (counting, measuring, science and nature, health and nutrition and food prep, art, journaling, keeping records of growth, laying out beds (my son did well on geometry part of standardized tests, and that was his main source of learning) and so much more) and extremely valuable for using up energy and calming down--if you have room and could get tools and supplies and seeds as part of your 5K. And then too we get from it at least some of our (organic! important both for child health in the garden as well as eating it) food, and it is just picked fresh and healthier than if it were trucked to store and stored--plus vegetables are so much more appealing to kids who grew them, not to mention that home grown and ripened often tastes truly delicious, sweet tomatoes and green beans and peas are so good they often don't make it back to the house and are just eaten as they are picked. Even if all you would have room for would be something potted indoors, I'd suggest considering this. Anyway, the garden has been our top homeschool great item that would normally probably not come to mind. And gets used and used and used and used. By the way, my son needed to move from little kid tools to small light adult ones at age 5 as the kid ones were not durable. And watch out for sharp tools with children. Tools are expensive if they are good quality and you would need several if you have several family members. Child sizes in work gloves. Mason orchard bees raising was a great science and life project that continues on now year after year--and worked better than a lot of kits, it again put together a lot of different things in one project and could have also included building a bee house, though we bought ours. (My son also likes kits for science, but sometimes they have been disappointing. Or wonderful, but used briefly and then that's it.) A worm bin.

If cooking supplies and cookbooks for kids and so on are something you don't already have, I'd also consider that. Again, tons of learning from fractions and doubling in recipes, to reading the instructions, to hands on doing, to nutrition, to some chemistry (I have some books on science related to cooking that are fun), to culture and geography if you include foods from around the world etc. And a good thing to do when the garden is not in season to be worked.

A safe workbench (for building things) sized for a child is on my wish list, and would be the first thing I'd get if I had 5K extra to spend, the next thing of things I don't have would be a basketball hoop, and then (though I have not got room for one anyway, but if I did) a piano.

Story of the World on audio CD has been used and used.

A membership in Netflix.

I think I'm wired somewhat like you in that I like to buy thrifty and I like to take my time to research every corner of something to know what to buy. In that sense, being "forced" to spend that much might be stressful.

If I were in your shoes I would run with what people have suggested, but also look at some of the resale values of the main curric books. That would be my backup plan, and if you're experienced in putting it together on the cheap up to now just think what $100 or so in returned/resold books could add next year when you don't anticipate any cash on hand. You could keep a few things around in lieu of gift cards which you can't do with an eye toward reselling them.

For my own kids, the squirreled away birthday gift idea doesn't work out so well. We move from interest to interest or the grandparents buy something similar, etc. but then again you can almost always get some cash for an unopened Lego or other good learning toy.

Also, I think with those ages you'll want more things to distract the youngest kids while teaching the older ones. People have suggested duplos and math shapes like tangrams. Mine also liked wooden puzzles, simple maze books, marble runs (but this has to be in a separate room because of the noise), beading and lacing sets, pipe cleaners, sticker activity books.

Is school outside with breaks for riding bikes, playing ball, chalking letters on the sidewalk possible? Do you have enough supplies for all that outdoor stuff? We have butterfly nets, mud boots, bug boxes that hang around necks, rugged sun hats & other gear from REI (thanks to mil), snorkeling gear, microscope and slides, and an aquarium with hermit crabs in it, all of which I consider part of our school. I'd like to get a butterfly kit, ant farm, goldfish tank and small snake over the next few years as the boys get old enough to care for those things.

I'm getting lots of good ideas from this thread, thanks for posting.

Yes, violamama, it is somewhat stressful. I already have a laser printer, but will buy a major stock of toner and paper. Art supplies - I am not familiar with Waldorf or Oak Meadow, but will try to find lists of the art supplies they recommend and add a shopping trip to Blick to the list (is that where you all would buy quality art supplies)? We own bikes, a trampoline, a basketball hoop etc (came with the house). I am having so much fun on Home Science Tools, and will be getting microscope, kits, etc. We have a baby grand piano (again, came with the house), but we may have to move in the next six months, so I am considering a good electric keyboard (would be moving into a much smaller house or apartment. Question - I honestly have SUCH a hard time figuring out what to do with my 4yo ds and 2yo dd - outside of reading and coloring. Would purchasing Oak Meadow or Waldorf help? I can design curriculum all day for the older ones, but for the little ones, I kinda alwasy go pack to baking, painting, coloring, and I think they are getting bored. Also the K ds is very intense - very intelligent, very emotionally intense, very talkative, very needy of my time and attention, very oppositional. He is an amazing builder. Keeping him happy and occuupied long enough for me work on math with the others is a major source of stress in our homeschool.

Regarding curriculum, I just feel that science and history are fairly easily put together through free and library resources, plus a few spines like SOTW. But language arts is an area I am really stuck. My oldest 8 yo ds Aspie is a major reader (1500 pages a week) with an amazing vocabulary, but HATES handwriting. DS 7yo is an emerging reader with excellent handwriting and creative writing skills, but may be dyslexic. My 5yo ds just taught himself to read and writes well. He will soon catch up to the 7yo. So what do you all recommend for LA??? I agree with other posters that if I buy the standard LA curriculum pieces then at least they will have a resale value if they don't work... I really can't buy gift certificates with the money. If anything I buy can be taken and easily resold, it will be. Books will never be touched, but gift cards will. Even the computers and iPads are questionable, but as soon as they are used, the value goes down, and since they are for homeschool, I can probably do it. Please send LA suggestions, and even if I buy three curriculums that might work and end up reselling two in the next year, so be it. Better to buy now than not be able to find $20 in 8 months to purchase something....

IEW--especially for reluctant writers and those who have trouble organizing writing

sequential spelling--especially for the dyslexic

handwriting without tears

---these have all gone over well here

Grammar has been more of a challenge. We did FLL 1-4. We moved into Exercises in English because R&S was too boring. I"m not sure it's a great fit, so hopefully others will chime in with ideas.

------------If you are gearing up for a bankruptcy, and it kind of sounds that way based on the details you've now shared, have your attorney advise you about spending sprees before filing. Recent purchases prior to filing can be made nondischargeable.

Am I the only person confused/concerned by this thread? It reads to me like the OP and her children are in some kind of unstable situation where every dollar she tries to save disappears and anything not nailed down might get sold out from under her? The whole tone of this is the overwhelming thing that stands out to me about this thread, not the ooo-how-fun-to-spend-5K-all-at-once thing. If someone can set me straight, please do.

No worries about an unstable situation. We were the victims of a ponzi scheme a couple of years ago (the perpetrator is now serving 8 years in prison). We both worked, had no credit card debt, had a comfortable middle class financial situation, shopped at thirft stores because that has always been our style, watched every dollor, but had savings and a safety net and savings for the kids. Then we, along with many people we know, were devastated by a financial crime. Just before the crime was exposed we decided to homeschool. My kids were all born premature, and all have their subtle issues. The schools told us to medicate them heavily for ADHD or they were not welcome to attend (not a public school). We are fairly holistic, and against the idea of medicating for ADHD in general. So we knew that pulling the kids out of school and going down to one income would make things tight. But we can't recover from that crime. We have tried for two years, nearly starving at times, but refusing to file for bankruptcy on pricipal. But we can't make it work any longer. We hate the situation we are in - that we can't take care of basic needs for our family, not because of our own irresponsibility, but that the stigma of bankruptcy is that we did something wrong. So now we must spend our tax return we are about to receive prior to filing, or it will be gone We refuse to budge on the homeschooling, as it is clearly the right thing for our kids. And I know I can continue to do it with little or no budget, for the most part. We are spending a good portion of the return on food - stocking up. But we will soon most likely lose our home and car, and need to move across country to live with family, or into a small apartment, so bulking up too much is also not practical. We can't put anything away in the kid's savings accounts, can't buy gift certificates, can't invest the money. It is like a cruel joke, really. My husband has recommended I get whatever I might need for homeschooling for the long haul now, but that is really so stressful for me - how can I make informed decisions under this pressure, and about a very unknown future? There are worse things in life, and I have to see this as a major positive, but at the same time it is terribly ironic. But we are all healthy, and homeschooling has brought us so much closer, our home is very rich with love. So please, no worries about instability, just trying to make the most of this trial in life, and walk through it with grace and strength, in a way that wil benefit our kids the most.

I would buy an iPod touch for each child and disable the Internet through parental controls. That gives them each a music player, a camera, ebook reader, audiobook player, and of course access to lots to educational apps. It is a nice size for children. Make sure to get sturdy cases.

I would get a globe, microscope, balance scale, telescope.

Full set of Life of Fred.

Series of All About Spelling.

Handwriting Without Tears along with the slates and manipulatives.

Set of Math manipulatives (rods, clocks, etc)

Memberships to cultural activities (museum, etc)

Art supplies and lessons.

Several Usborne lift the flap books.

Some Kingfisher and DK reference books.

Music lessons and collection of music.

Swimming lessons (pay for extra lessons and cancel some, leaving a credit on account with your rec center).

Geopuzzles and some Ravensburger puzzles.

Good board games: Carcasonne (original and kids), Settlers of Catan Junior, 10 days in Africa, Ticket to Ride Europe, TransAmerica, Quirkle, Blokus, Apples to Apples Junior, Make N Break, Labyrinth Junior, Rivers Roads and Rails, Animal upon Animal Balancing Bridge, Pandabo, Crazy Chefs, Doodlebugs, Water Lily, Rush Hour, (and so many more...)

A big set of snap circuits.

No worries about an unstable situation. We were the victims of a ponzi scheme a couple of years ago (the perpetrator is now serving 8 years in prison). We both worked, had no credit card debt, had a comfortable middle class financial situation, shopped at thirft stores because that has always been our style, watched every dollor, but had savings and a safety net and savings for the kids. Then we, along with many people we know, were devastated by a financial crime. Just before the crime was exposed we decided to homeschool. My kids were all born premature, and all have their subtle issues. The schools told us to medicate them heavily for ADHD or they were not welcome to attend (not a public school). We are fairly holistic, and against the idea of medicating for ADHD in general. So we knew that pulling the kids out of school and going down to one income would make things tight. But we can't recover from that crime. We have tried for two years, nearly starving at times, but refusing to file for bankruptcy on pricipal. But we can't make it work any longer. We hate the situation we are in - that we can't take care of basic needs for our family, not because of our own irresponsibility, but that the stigma of bankruptcy is that we did something wrong. So now we must spend our tax return we are about to receive prior to filing, or it will be gone We refuse to budge on the homeschooling, as it is clearly the right thing for our kids. And I know I can continue to do it with little or no budget, for the most part. We are spending a good portion of the return on food - stocking up. But we will soon most likely lose our home and car, and need to move across country to live with family, or into a small apartment, so bulking up too much is also not practical. We can't put anything away in the kid's savings accounts, can't buy gift certificates, can't invest the money. It is like a cruel joke, really. My husband has recommended I get whatever I might need for homeschooling for the long haul now, but that is really so stressful for me - how can I make informed decisions under this pressure, and about a very unknown future? There are worse things in life, and I have to see this as a major positive, but at the same time it is terribly ironic. But we are all healthy, and homeschooling has brought us so much closer, our home is very rich with love. So please, no worries about instability, just trying to make the most of this trial in life, and walk through it with grace and strength, in a way that wil benefit our kids the most.

In this situation, look at museums/etc close to you who have reciprocal membership agreements with museums, zoos, aquaria, etc in the area where you may be moving for maximum flexibility. Look at lifetime memberships if they are cheaper where you are than where you might move (or vice versa), since kids usually enjoy these until age 12 or so. Consider the size of the things you are buying since you will likely be downsizing or moving. Storing extra stuff may be problematic. The keyboard would be a good investment, as well as the ipod touch (Otterboxes are good cases for sturdy protection---may want to consider warranties on the ipods since you won't be able to replace easily)---with a kindle app, your voracious reader will have access to lots of free material. If you can get an ipad as well, there are tons of inexpensive or free educational apps (some of which will also work on the ipod touch). I'd get a keypad case for it as well.

I honestly wouldn't worry as much about stocking up on notebook paper, pencils, construction paper, glue, notebooks, pens and the like because that is usually so incredibly cheap during back to school sales each year. Go for non-consumable texts, or get a bunch of sheet protectors and fine tip dry erase markers to slip workbook pages into (for easy re-use) or get a laminator and a ton of pouches. I have found the laser printer to be much cheaper to use than the inkjet and the lack of color hasn't been a big deal (look on youtube for ways to extend the life of toner cartridges by covering the sensor holes---it's worked really well for us). The binder may make life easier, stocking up on spines. I found a small, personal dry-erase board to be of more use than a big one, but that may be different with more than one child. I might get a case of printer paper.

For science and math---a set of decent geometric solids, some base 10 blocks, a balance and set of weights (the bucket kind can work with liquids as well as solids), an abacus (the Right Start one worked really well and I preferred it to things like counting bears for math manipulatives because the pieces didn't get lost in the couch), a set of magnets, decent student microscope (something sturdy) and premade slides, snap circuits/knex/Legos (if you have a craft store like Hobby Lobby nearby, you might be able to get something with their 40% off coupon), sturdy magnifying glass, digital kitchen scale, pair of safety goggles for you and each child, and an inflatable globe will save space. A teaching clock was very useful for us, as well as a laminated US map.

I'm so sorry you're going through so much. We have just finished going through a bankruptcy that was brought on by having a child diagnosed with special needs. PLEASE don't spend another minute feeling bad about it. I know it's so hard to hear that word bankruptcy- we struggled, we hesitated, we felt like deadbeats, we felt so much guilt, etc. Since you know in your heart that this was brought on by circumstances beyond your control, try to just rest in knowing it's hardworking people like you, and like me, that this bankruptcy process was designed to help. It's the people who abuse the system who have given it a bad name. Sending you a hug!

Not trying to pretend I know all the ins and outs of your situation, but in our case, the court and bankruptcy lawyer NEVER asked us anything about having gift cards/gift certificates, or mentioned that they would confiscate them. Any way you could clarify that with whoever is helping you through the process? No, they're not going to let you sit on a pile of cash, but I truly doubt they will confiscate a bunch of Amazon gift cards. Another option could be to give the money to a trusted friend or family member who could either hold the money for you or buy gift cards with it and gift them to you.

Hang in there!

Thanks so much for the words of support, and all of the amazing advice. We were told no gift cards, or at least nothing that could be spent the same as cash. Not sure I understand what is meant by Amazon gift cards already entered into the system, but I am not a frequent online shopper, so maybe that is a common process, I will google it. We were also told we absolutely cannot give the money to anyone, or else they will be pursued to give it back. Not sure how far they would go to recover money, but we don't want to risk losing it. We aren't trying to cheat or lie, it would just be so nice to have $1,000 a year to spend over the next few years rather than a lot of money at once, and my nature is to squirrel things away, especially given our experience over the last two years. The recommendations, advice and support here have all been amazing, thank you all so much!

Other things we found useful, especially for the early years, were the Classical Kids set of cds (there are also dvds) and Jim Weiss cds. We listened to them a lot in the car. The Classical Kids and Beethoven's Wig cds were the spine for early music appreciation, along with just listening to a wide variety of music and attending free public concerts.

My best friends had to declare bankruptcy several years ago after legal and medical expenses incurred in caring for young relatives for whom they had assumed guardianship to get the children out of an abusive situation wiped out their finances. I don't recall them having any of their electronics, etc confiscated.

Isn't it right that if you get a big windfall shortly before declaring bankruptcy the judge can exclude that portion of funds from the bankruptcy? I suggest using great caution here.

However, if I were needing to spend money ahead, I would probably buy musical instruments and lab equipment and art supplies and electronics that I could use immediately (because electronics go stale so fast.) And in terms of curriculum I would buy the next two sets of what we were using already, and something splurgy that I was pretty sure I would like--Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings, Real Science 4 Kids, that kind of thing. And I would also sign up and prepay for some very high quality science and natural science summer camps for the kiddos, and take them to Concordia Villages for a jumpstart on good foreign language immersion.

I would get someone to walk you through the process of getting online Amazon gift cards. That way the money is safe, and being Amazon, you should be able to use them for practically anything. I just think your family is already under so much stress, to try and make 5 years of curriculum decisions at once is just way too hard.

Yes, violamama, it is somewhat stressful. I already have a laser printer, but will buy a major stock of toner and paper. Art supplies - I am not familiar with Waldorf or Oak Meadow, but will try to find lists of the art supplies they recommend and add a shopping trip to Blick to the list (is that where you all would buy quality art supplies)?

Waldorf art supplies can be especially nice because they tend to be of real beeswax and other such materials that tend to be less environmentally a problem and thus safer for all (common brands used in Waldorf IME include Stockmar and Lyra)--and not likely to add troubles to whatever may already be neurological issues for aspie and dyslexia... I myself would not go with Oak Meadow for various reasons, but I think it would add more stress to your life to do it with several dc, not relieve it, nor do I think it the best choice academically. I think you might look at Nebel's science books BFSU (Building Foundations in Scientific Understanding) and consider that for projects for all the children to participate as they can--even the two year old at the K level book.

Waldorf tries in the early years to imitate a well run home, so cooking, baking, coloring, music, handwork, puppets (marionettes) and puppet shows, stories told and stories acted out...that is what they do... No coloring books though are used in Waldorf and there are specific ways they use art supplies. For the little ones btw they use beeswax modeling wax (which is warmer than clay) and that could be nice to get as it is expensive and not heavy to travel with. Do not leave it in a hot car on a seat--I learned that the hard way. Clay tends to be heavy and not so expensive so you could get that where you end up. There are online sites for doing Waldorf where the curriculum instructions part, if you want to use that, is available free, so put the money, IMO, toward supplies. Good paint brushes, for example, are expensive, but last a long time, and so actually will paints and beeswax crayons if taken good care of. Watercolor paper can even be expensive so worth getting now. Silk fabric for making forts and puppet stage stuff. Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne might be worth your looking at, and a book about the Waldorf Kindergarten to show you what it looks like if you have never seen one. Sometimes baking and painting are good, and bored can release a child's own creativity.

I have not used Blick, but have heard good things about it.

We own bikes, a trampoline, a basketball hoop etc (came with the house). I am having so much fun on Home Science Tools, and will be getting microscope, kits, etc. We have a baby grand piano (again, came with the house), but we may have to move in the next six months, so I am considering a good electric keyboard (would be moving into a much smaller house or apartment. Question - I honestly have SUCH a hard time figuring out what to do with my 4yo ds and 2yo dd - outside of reading and coloring. Would purchasing Oak Meadow or Waldorf help? I can design curriculum all day for the older ones, but for the little ones, I kinda alwasy go pack to baking, painting, coloring, and I think they are getting bored. Also the K ds is very intense - very intelligent, very emotionally intense, very talkative, very needy of my time and attention, very oppositional. He is an amazing builder. Keeping him happy and occuupied long enough for me work on math with the others is a major source of stress in our homeschool.

Keva blocks, I think they are called, are good. You may need to have one older help with youngests while you work with another older. Things like the audio of SOTW and its activity guides may help since your oldest might be able to guide youngest in that. Olders can help their own skills while helping youngers, though being Aspie...well, maybe not, but maybe it would help balance him. Or maybe olders could do art with youngers as you work with one at a time.

You also would probably do well to find curriculum for the olders than starts allowing them to be self-propelled learners as much as possible.

Regarding curriculum, I just feel that science and history are fairly easily put together through free and library resources, plus a few spines like SOTW. But language arts is an area I am really stuck. My oldest 8 yo ds Aspie is a major reader (1500 pages a week) with an amazing vocabulary, but HATES handwriting. DS 7yo is an emerging reader with excellent handwriting and creative writing skills, but may be dyslexic. My 5yo ds just taught himself to read and writes well. He will soon catch up to the 7yo. So what do you all recommend for LA??? I agree with other posters that if I buy the standard LA curriculum pieces then at least they will have a resale value if they don't work... I really can't buy gift certificates with the money. If anything I buy can be taken and easily resold, it will be. Books will never be touched, but gift cards will. Even the computers and iPads are questionable, but as soon as they are used, the value goes down, and since they are for homeschool, I can probably do it. Please send LA suggestions, and even if I buy three curriculums that might work and end up reselling two in the next year, so be it. Better to buy now than not be able to find $20 in 8 months to purchase something....

I would personally go light on the electronics for dc for all sorts of reasons--health both physical and emotional high amongst them and even the impression that children having their own computers makes on others (such as a judge or jury) sort of like kids with their own TVs (sorry if I am offending anyone)--but the screen time is probably not so great physically even if educational. It is very frowned on to have any screen time at all for little ones in Waldorf, btw. . Maybe things like Magic School Bus science videos (I did not like them, but many people do)?

For Language Arts:

Though I suggest go light on the electronics, the program Read Write Type at Talkingfingers.com is good, and might help keep some younger a bit busy while learning some LA when you need that, and might help to teach typing to child who hates handwriting, and reading for child who is dyslexic or may be

I would suggest getting all of: IEW both the TWSS for the parent and the SWI-A for students, MCT (Royal Fireworks Press) for grammar for everyone (several levels right now--up through where you think you would have money again, plan to do the work on separate paper so you don't need multiple workbooks), Writer's Jungle, and maybe subscriptions to their ongoing services like ...well, cannot recall names...or even signing up for an online course if there are any to do that for right now, and also WWE/WWS all levels now available, again plan to use separate paper so you don't need to get extra workbooks, nor even spend a lot for copying, or go ahead and get multiple workbooks now with the money and save yourself the later paper, and work. If you seriously think a dyslexia issue is there, I recommend HighNoonBooks.com Reading Intervention and Sound Out Chapter Books....actually, this would probably be fine as just a good all around phonics and high frequency word program for a normal reader, so that might do for a beginning reading program for if either of the 2 youngest would need it too, though it is meant for struggling older children.

I think a 4 year old could cuddle right up and listen to MCT read aloud, could start to follow the ideas of key word outlines from IEW, and could join in for freewriting and poetry teatimes a la Writer's Jungle. In fact, 2 year old could probably listen to poetry and at least participate by scribbllng during freewrite times too.

If you need neuropsych evaluations or that sort of thing for any of the children's problems, maybe that could be initiated now while there is still money, or Vision Therapy. though those often take longer than a few weeks to arrange.

Health insurance plans if they are needed? Any other medical things to take care of?

I would also suggest asking a lawyer to be sure if Amazon gift cards for the children's educational needs are not okay. If they are, that could solve a lot of your dilemma. Maybe one or two for each child could be gotten and started.

A lot of people do get a lot of materials at the start of homeschooling, so that would not be so unusual an expense. I think there were some threads on what people spend a while back.

Hugs. Good luck. Hang in there.

Pen, thanks for the great suggestions. There seems to be a consensus that gift cards for Amazon shouldn't be so problematic, and you are right, if that is true, that would solve much of the problem. By "started", do you mean that, for example, I purchase a $500 gift card for one of my children, and then buy a $10 book using the gift card so that it is "started", and somehow that would exempt it as a transferable asset? I realize you are not a lawyer, I am just curious if anyone has direct experience with that. We don't own a TV and generally limit screens quite a bit, which is why I did not first think of iPads/Kindles etc. as a way to spend the money. My aspie has an addiction relationship with screens, they are just not healthy for him, but he is the one who loves to type rather than write, and of course despises sharing a computer with younger siblings who rearrange the desktop etc, creating lots of uncomfortable change for him. Thanks also for the information on Waldorf and Oak Meadow.

Hunter, if you are still around, you mentioned some resources that people used in the 90's that helped to augment library books to round out a curriculum, could you share those with me?

FIAR Vols 3-4 and all the books

Books for FIAR Vol 1-2 that I'm missing

Before FIAR and the books

Math on the Level

Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 2 and supplies

Prairie Primer

microscope

telescope

binoculars and other nature supplies

Living Math literature

Apologia- Human Anatomy textbook, journals and supplies

Apologia- Flying Creatures textbook, journals and supplies

The rest of my Amazon wish list

The rest of my rainbow resource wish list

Hunter, if you are still around, you mentioned some resources that people used in the 90's that helped to augment library books to round out a curriculum, could you share those with me?

I'm going to start a new thread to make sure more people see the question.

Thank you so much! I'm glad I decided to drop in and read this thread again because I didn't get a quote notification and I couldn't remember which thread I asked the question in.

I've ordered the books. One, I'm not sure if I got the right one, but I can check for a different one from a different seller if need be when they arrive.

Thank you so much! I'm glad I decided to drop in and read this thread again because I didn't get a quote notification and I couldn't remember which thread I asked the question in.

I've ordered the books. One, I'm not sure if I got the right one, but I can check for a different one from a different seller if need be when they arrive.

I always wait anxiously for used books, waiting to see if the seller sold me the right books. It's nerve racking. I was SO lucky with my set. All of them arrived in beautiful condition, and were all the correct books.

Thanks Hunter! I used to check these out of the library back in the day. Now I' ve got my own set on the way!

Most libraries have the old hardcover sets still, but it's nice to have our own, isn't it? And many of the libraries are starting to unload their sets, so the market is glutted with them right now. This has got to be one of the top ten homeschool bargains right now.

I always wait anxiously for used books, waiting to see if the seller sold me the right books. It's nerve racking. I was SO lucky with my set. All of them arrived in beautiful condition, and were all the correct books.

The first grade one was only available in paperback and the publisher was Delta, instead of Doubleday. The previous readers who saw the message before I got to it must have gotten the *good* one. :) The release time period was early 90's, though so I'll cross my fingers and hope that it's the correct one. If not, I can always check out library sales or Amazon.

Books to Build On (from Core Knowledge) has some wonderful selections -- you might want to look at the 'General Resources' book recommendations for each subject. Those are the books that could be used year after year.

Another vote for Books to Build On. It pairs extremely well with WTM and it'll keep you inspired for ages.

Knowing more about the situation, and not knowing when you plan to file later this year or Jan of 2014, I would ask your attorney specifically if electronics and musical instruments, especially in multiples, would be seen as a luxury purchase and if homeschooling supplies in general for more than immediate use would be considered acceptable "basic needs" purchases just prior to filing. It seems that your attorney must know what you are spending it on but check first on pretty much everything.

If there is doubt, the safest thing you can do to keep the money would be to open a Roth IRA, but your contribution it is not available to you without penalty for >4 years and the earnings are not available without penalty prior to 59&1/2 years old except under narrow circumstances- including the purchase of a home if you have not owned a home for more than 5 years. That does not help you with costs over the next few years, but it does allow the money to go to your family in the long run if homeschooling purchases beyond a certain level are not allowed. Also, if you have outstanding medical needs and don't have insurance to cover dental/vision, the money may be used for that- glasses for people who need them, overdue dental work, paying for OT, speech or other needed therapies (if any) etc.

Good luck. Your family will make it through this. You sound very strong for having dealt with this much recently. Take care.

Can you buy a gift voucher for a family member as a "present" and have them regift it later.

make sure you have enough clothes for the kids - from experience having to buy new undies for my son can stuff up a budget pretty quickly. Also would a credit with the power company be feasible (I had a friend who had a different but similar issue and that was one of the ideas we thought of).

Good luck. Hope everything goes well (hug emoticon).

Thanks all! Let me be clear, this is not a spending spree on credit cards - don't spend on credit cards, never have and never will, not our style. This is a tax return that, due to lots of deductions, ended up being huge this year. This tax return doesn't qualify as regular income in a bankruptcy - we still are well below the line to qualify - and doesn't have to be given to the creditors, IF it is spent prior to filing. We will get it in a couple of weeks, have to spend it within a week or two, and then immediately file. We have asked the attorney a hundred times if this is really how it works, and if this isn't fraud or something, because it feels weird to us. He said that a spending spree on credit cards would be fraud, but that this is money we worked for last year and is ours, just now being paid back to us, and that it is ours to spend as we wish. But I think we CANNOT invest it - otherwise we absolutely would, that and stock the pantry. I do have some pent up purchasing angst for homeschooling materials, as I am far enough into homeschooling now that I can see what I would like to own (a few more books/kits/Life of Fred), but that all totals maybe $250. Spending a much larger sum in a short time period (just the online shopping alone will take a lot of time - I do still have to teach school all day and prepare in the evenings!), is inefficient, and in the end not nearly as much fun as I had hoped. Since I like to pull together curriculum the thrify way, but see that you could die from exhuastion trying to do it for every subject, I will purchase a LA curriculum, and hope I can resell what doesn't work. I will probably get all of the Singapores for the next few years, though my kids stopped picking up their Singapore workbooks about a month ago in favor of Khan Academy (free!), and I am purchasing Math Mammoth, which will provide the drill work, so is Singapore necessary? See! I just talked myself OUT of spending money again! I keep doing that. I decide I will spend some money on something and then come full circle, realizing I like the free resource, and it would be better to save the money. Only to again realize that I can't truly save the money. The attorney was so very clear on the point of not gifting anything to friends and then getting it back. But maybe that is standard lawyer talk, and not what people actually do in these situations? We couldn't do anything that smacked at all of illegality, especially given the nature of the crime that got us here - we have seen first hand how much dishonesty with money can devastate others.

I would really go with the electronics. I am not sure if anyone has suggested a Kindle or Nook. My son's Nook is invaluable since out library stinks. We are able to check out things from bigger libraries from his Nook. Also what about a Netflix subscription? You could then stream it to the Nook or Kindle or IPad.

All of the Horrible Histories and Horrible science books (my aspie/ADHD son LOVES these) - order from Ray at Del Sol books, you can google it

All volumes of Five in a Row - subscribe to their blog and you will get all of their five in a row lap books

Also, we have a great homeschooling store here that ships. You could order things from them to make your dollars go further. Their address is:

Www.homeschoolbooksmart.com

Pen, thanks for the great suggestions. There seems to be a consensus that gift cards for Amazon shouldn't be so problematic, and you are right, if that is true, that would solve much of the problem. By "started", do you mean that, for example, I purchase a $500 gift card for one of my children, and then buy a $10 book using the gift card so that it is "started", and somehow that would exempt it as a transferable asset?

I don't know if it would exempt it: Ask a lawyer. But that is what I mean by getting it started. I got one this Xmas, and it said once started it was not refundable. It also went for the very next few things I got, whether or not I wanted them to be part of my "gift". I could not see a way to save the balance for a special future treat. So it might not actually be possible to designate for only homeschool expenses,or for a particular child as I was thinking yesterday, but at least it could go to something really needed.

BTW, if you buy direct from IEW they have a money back guarantee.

I realize you are not a lawyer, I am just curious if anyone has direct experience with that. We don't own a TV and generally limit screens quite a bit, which is why I did not first think of iPads/Kindles etc. as a way to spend the money. My aspie has an addiction relationship with screens, they are just not healthy for him, but he is the one who loves to type rather than write, and of course despises sharing a computer with younger siblings who rearrange the desktop etc, creating lots of uncomfortable change for him. Thanks also for the information on Waldorf and Oak Meadow.

See! I just talked myself OUT of spending money again! I keep doing that. I decide I will spend some money on something and then come full circle, realizing I like the free resource, and it would be better to save the money.

I go through periods like this. Then after awhile it will ease and I can spend more freely again. It really is okay to have some books on our shelves that we are not using. I can't tell you how many times I pull out books thinking I might want to try them again. Often after a couple hours they go back on the shelf, but those few hours of re-deciding I don't want to use them, are an important step in recommitting and being content with something else.

When I'm having shame or anxiety attacks, I think I need to strip my life down to ultra-minimalism. I think I need to be robot efficient and perfect. Knowing that it is listed in my basic human rights that I have the right to own property, I slow down a little and pack things away, but don't get rid of them, until I see if the purging phase eases up a bit. I've been programmed that I need to be perfect and lean and mean in mind. body and soul. It's impossible to totally recover from that programming.

Just know it really is okay to have some pretty waste on your shelves. Thankfully I'm in a less shameful place this week than last week or I wouldn't be able to give you this advice. I JUST barely managed not to clean my shelves out last week. Honestly the only thing that held me back was that I was also starving myself and was too weak to pick up any boxes.

It's okay to have a set of Singapore on the shelves and not use it. It IS! I've got 1/2 a set of Saxon and a full set of Professor B, and full set of Strayer-Upton, and a couple volumes each of Study Time and Ray's. Last week I felt like I was covered in a layer of black ooze of shame for being some a shameless hussy of a curriculum hoarder. This week I ate some food, and have been getting my butt back in gear to teach the best I can. To teach takes books and food.

I'm told the best revenge is a life well lived. I gotta stop living by the rules of the old programming. An 1/8 of inch of fat on my arms and a few unused books are more than okay. I need them to fulfill my destiny on this earth.

FWIW, we returned to Singapore after a stint on Khan Academy. It really ins't the same. All that screen time made my kids go crazy.

I never ever ever rely on wifi when broke. EVER. Or a printer.

I currently have no printer, and my only home internet connection is through my phone, and plan on it being that way indefinitely.

Anything that requires printing or wifi, is not "free" in my world.

We have the great big set of Kapla blocks. We use them all the time both for just free time and educational as I will have the boys build something related to whatever we are studying, so among the other great suggestions you have received, I would suggest investing in them.

Can you do a giftcard?

I would say microscope and slide set for sure!

Leaf press, nature journals, Science books

Quality art supplies and craft supplies

I pad and apps ( I would do one to share)

The Classical Kids CD sets.

I'd then do Ipod touch for each (rather than Ipad for each)

Some Jim Weiss CD's

Fun math Manipulatives

Right Start Math games set (book and cards)

Board games/thinking games- Timberdoodle is a GREAT place to get ideas!!

I would go ahead and Buy Institute for Excellence in Writing

I would get SOTW and buy the history books to go with each level.

I would do a museum membership as well

The paint dabbers that can be refilled with paint are a hit with my younger kids

Stamp sets and bead sets

Also another thought would be a sewing machine. I know a lot of moms have one to teach daughters to sew and if you didn't have one, now may be the time :)

And as far as a splurg on building toys, mine love Keva blocks and legos. I would go that route. Also Wedgit sets are a hit. Those would be high on my list as well. Rush hour type games are good thinking games.

I'm sure this is stressful :( How many years do you need all this to last? That may help as far as in the future... I think some things would be nice for mulitlevel uses.

And I wanted to say I have kids similar in age as yours :)

Wow! How amazing! I can't imagine! Here's what I would buy:

a good microscope and maybe some other cool science equipment

MCT (I'd go ahead and buy Island, Town, and Voyage, the complete sets of all three)

Right Start Math Levels A - E and all of the manipulatives

Beast Academy maybe?

I love the idea of getting all of LOF too.

Maybe some of Art of Problem Solving, if your oldest will be ready for that before you can spend money again?

Writing with Ease

Brave Writer

a language program? (maybe Rosetta Stone if there's a language you want to learn?)

Legos, and maybe a Mindstorms kit for later

Wow, have fun shopping!!!

I think that you have a lot of great ideas here. Before you start spening all of your money on these things, as a mother with children in elementary,middle, and highschool, I would suggest you think about what you feel is lacking in your own education. What are your weaknesses? I would then find ways to study those things now, purchase with an eye toward the future. If you are not confident in a subject, now is the time to prepare.

For me, TOG has been the best curriculum for my educational growth in history, philosophy, and literature but WTM and WEM have great plans for study as well. I wish I had taken the time to study logic and rhetoric before I had students to teach. I also should have studied chemistry and physics or even had some Latin under my belt. I spent a lot of time trying to find the right curriculum - hours researching, time I could have spent reading some the great books or learning some of the above.

I would pick technology carefully, make sure you have a good printer with lots of paper and ink, get some great hands on things, build a great library, and purchase as much non-consumable curriculum as you can. The My Book House books or some other set of classic books would be a great choice as they start with fairy tales and go all the way through high school level books.

Check out what Homeschool Buyer's Co-op has to offer so that you can stretch your money (Math Mammoth is often available on cd at a great price). Btw I think your math plan is a very good one!

ETA- I would also stock up on science kits and books.