Menu

Memoria Press Lit?

twoxcell

I am using the 3rd and 5th grade Lit sets this year. I can't answer your question about whether it would be ok to use the 6th grade set before the 5th grade set since I haven't seen the 6th grade set. It would probably depend on the age of your student; the lit guides are difficult at grade level, so I would use an earlier set at a later grade before I would use a later set at an earlier grade (if that makes sense!). In other words, I would not use the 6th grade set before 6th grade, but I would be comfortable using the 5th grade set in 6th or 7th grade. I would recommend trying just one of the guides from the 6th grade set and seeing how it goes if you are planning on using it earlier than 6th grade.

As far as how the program works, here is a quote from a post I made recently about the lit guides:

There is vocab for each chapter, comprehension questions, quote identification, discussion questions (often compare/contrast or "why" questions, very open-ended and thought-provoking; the student usually has to form an opinion and be able to support it), and optional enrichment activities (dictation, writing assignments, mapwork, acting out an event in the chapter, further study on historical elements). Some of the Lit guides have more overt discussion of different literary elements than others, but they are definitely covered.

The way the 5th grade guides are scheduled, one day my daughter reads one chapter, fills in the vocab (her guesses based on context), answers the comprehension questions in complete sentences, and identifies the given quotes. The next day we sit down and go over the vocab together, go over the comprehension questions (important at this age since the books are quite a bit harder than LHOP and it can be difficult for the student to always understand all the events and how one led to another), go over the quote identification, do the discussion questions orally, and assign any enrichment activities that strike my fancy.

Thanks. I'm interested in these for my ds who will be in 5th grade next year. I know it sounds silly but the for some reason I was thinking the 6th grade books would go better with what he will be studying in 5th and the 5th grade books would go better with 6th. I wasn't sure if the 6th would be too hard for him, and how different the student books are between those levels. I'm positive he could read the books in the 6th grade set, but I'm not sure about the workbooks. I won't be buying anything for next year for a few months still just trying to figure out what I want to use. He has been doing Drawn Into the Heart of Reading for a couple years but it is my least favorite part of HOD and I want a heavier focus on classic Lit for junior high/Logic Stage. :)

My daughter is doing the lit guides above grade level and my son at grade level. That is consistent with their reading ability. I think if you look at the difficulty of the books and your son can handle the book then he will be able to do the guide. There are samples of the guides on the website. Generally speaking though I do think their literature selections are a little advanced, especially for the late elementary/middle grades.

I am doing exactly what you said. We used LWW first semester which is for fourth grade I believe (the grade she is in) and this semester I am using Anne of Green Gables which is for sixth grade. I already had the guide from a previous child and knew she could handle the book with no problems. I planned to simply cut out a little vocab or a question here and there if I feel the need to but so far at chapter five and haven't needed to.