Menu

Looking to purchase an Ipad but was talked into buying a Fire

momee

I think it depends what you plan to do with it. I love my iPad; it has great apps, the size is great for the kids to use and be able to see/interact. That said, I got a Fire at Christmas because I wanted a reader/tablet for me that would fit in my purse. :o So far, I love it for reading which is mostly what I am using it for doing. I may be pathetic, but it's even easier to read in bed with the Fire than the ipad because of it's size/shape.

So, if I could only pick one it would be an iPad for sure. At the same time, it depends what you want to do.

We adore our iPad. My kids won a Fire in a library contest and initially I was so psyched because I thought it would be similar. It's not. At all. It's useless when compared to the iPad because the app selection is just LAME. The kids use it to read and they play things on it - Angry Birds and so forth. It can't hold a candle to the stuff we use the iPad for.

I hate my iPad. I was talked into getting the iPad, but I really wanted an Android tablet (not the Fire though).

Apps wise, Android is getting to be just as rich. Some apps are only on iPad, some are only on Android, most are for both. My cell is Android, and I much prefer it. I can control my files in a much better way than on the iPad.

Nooooo -- DO NOT OPEN THE FIRE!!!!!!

I waited until this year to buy an iPad, as I hate to part with money, and they cost a lot. But now -- well, I have never been "in love" with something electronic, until now. It IS about the apps.

I'm not an expert, but doesn't the Fire run a forked version of Android -- meaning it can't even run all the Android apps? Someone who knows more can chime in on this.

Take it back. Get an iPad or a Google Nexus 7. Personally, I would go with the Nexus. It costs about the same as a Fire, is about the same price, but is much much better because it runs a full version of Android and you have many more app choices. I love ours. I have played around with my mom's iPad, and for what I want it for, it's too big. My kids love the Nexus too, and it's a better size for them to be able to use without me fearing they're going to break it (at least not as easily, anyway). You can do everything on the Nexus that you can on the Fire, and so much more. If you want to watch the commercials on YouTube, you'll see what I mean! :-)

Another problem with the Fire that I have heard from a LOT of parents is the inability to completely control purchases on the Fire. Kids can accidentally order things (esp. the 4 year old!) on the Fire. They can not do that on an iPad without your password every time. iPads are the standard for educational usage and apps.

I plan on using it mostly for educational purposes for the children. I may use it occasionally when I need a larger screen view than my Razr.

I am old school. LOVE my desktop. Love the feel of the keyboard, etc.

The kids are NOT old school and would be excited about technology opportunities in their school day. The Ipad sure seems like it would be fun in that aspect, and intuitive. Intuitive is important to me right now.

Just my 2 cents...

I have an ipad and love it, but my kids all have android tablets. I love android because you can use different app stores. My kids' tablets each have three different android markets on them. You can't put another app market on the ipad. Would love to be able to, but can't. Also, if you're going to go android, don't go with the Fire or a Nook. Those are e-readers first, then tablets, in my opinion. Get something that is made to be a tablet first, like the Samsung Galaxy Tab. That's the one my daughter has and I love it. I use hers all the time. Where's my ipad mostly? charging or sitting around. I do use it, but I'm not going to pay for games on my ipad that I can get for free from the 1Market app market (which I can't get on my ipad or on a Nook. I'm not sure about the fire, but if it's anything like the Nook, you won't be able to load other markets).

The other android tablets we have are Nabis. Not for adults. Made for kids. But the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, which is what my oldest has, is awesome. If I didn't already own an ipad, I'd get myself a Galaxy Tab. Love it.

I plan on using it mostly for educational purposes for the children. I may use it occasionally when I need a larger screen view than my Razr.

I am old school. LOVE my desktop. Love the feel of the keyboard, etc.

The kids are NOT old school and would be excited about technology opportunities in their school day. The Ipad sure seems like it would be fun in that aspect, and intuitive. Intuitive is important to me right now.

In this case, I would return the Fire and buy the iPad or the Nexus 7. Since intuitive is important to you, go to a store and try both, because while one may be intuitive to you, another might not.

If you can wait until March, the rumor is that the iPad 5 will be rolled out then.

ETA: Correction: This article says that the timeframe for the release of the iPad 5 is now rumored to be later.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/427259/20130124/ipad-5-rumors-release-date-launch-specs.htm

Ipad, hands down. If you like the size of the Fire then look at a mini ipad. We are looking at an iMac next and then will probably add another ipad. I am looking forward to apple TV so I can play from my ipad on the TV for science and history. We will always have a PC, but Apple is taking the lead in educational products once again. All middle/high school kids are now issued an ipad in the local school district. (I have mixed feelings about that but it is fact.)

If you want intuitive, go with the iPad. My husband just got a Fire for Christmas. As a reader, it's GREAT! And it's nice that it does a little bit more. BUT, it is first and foremost a reader. The Fire isn't intuitive to use as the iPad either. I still can't figure out how to adjust things on the Fire. My 20-month-old can do ANYTHING on the iPad (except buy things because he doesn't know the password).

We have an ipad and absolutely love it, and I find new things all the time that will support the things we are doing in homeschool.

As a general rule of thumb, I have found that whichever "platform" you are going to use, stick with it. For example, we switched entirely over to Apple because of the incredibly easy user interface and compatibility between products without having to add extra programs.

The kids do have their own Kindles (the low-end model with ads) for reading, but I had to completely disable wifi access to prevent "accidental-on purpose" purchases by the kids. They do seem to like these for reading and they all use them regularly.

If you do purchase an iPad, definitely look into refurbished, but also consider your needs as well. The newest iPad has several wonderful upgrades and improvements over the original iPad - retina display (who knew there was such a big difference!), camera enhancements, video, etc.

I hope that helps!

Sarah

(Apple-lover) and Mom of 4

I don't have an iPad and at times the idea sounds great (we are Apple-lovers, in general), but I do have the Fire and love it. My primary purpose for it though was as a reader, and I've got some fabulous books loaded onto it from Yesterday's Classics and Heritage History. The app stuff and email and such is a bonus, but not the main reason for it. Also, I do use it to play videos for the kids -- like at breakfast table while I'm preparing food they will watch an educational video or scripture stories, and the sound and volume on the Fire is terrific! An iPad was out of contention based on price, and we talked about getting a Nexus, but then my dh surprised me with the Fire and I do love it.

Guest coypond

I'd love an iPad, but for the cost, I have to say I absolutely love the Fire. My kids are still very young, though, and the preK/K apps I've found on Kindle have been sufficient. I've also figured out how to make apps and made my son one to use with his reading lessons (definitely nothing flashy) -- so I've learned to "side-load" which, as it turns out, works. So yes, it IS possible to get around the Amazon Android selection, at least a little bit.

When the kids are bigger and require more sophisticated apps, we'll re-evaluate. The Fire was on sale when I bought it, it was (I think) about 25% of the cost of an iPad, and I'd say it's at least 25% as good. :) In other words, I think it was worth the much smaller investment.

If you're still reading this thread, I'd just like to say that the Kindle Fire doesn't have any problems any more with parental controls. Their parental control features are easy to use now and completely block kids from accidental purchases and you can turn off access to the book store, the Wi-fi, whatever.

For the folks talking about the ipad's size...have you looked at the mini?

We use the Nook with e-ink for reading, and ipad minis for school apps (and any stray books i just have to get on Kindle or in color on Nook). Mom has a Fire, and for mobile computing, it isn't even in the same league as the ipad mini. i would take it back.