Menu

Bloodwork after 7 months of low carb (LCHF)

justamouse

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think no sweeteners either - especially artificial. I think the rule of thumb for Paleo is that if you can't grow it, pick it, or hunt it then you shouldn't eat it. Think hunter/gatherers societies and that is pretty close to Paleo..

Yeah, basically I am atkins, but I use NO artificial sugars or sweeteners. I just cannot stand them.

So you never ate ANY carbs at all, including whole grain bread? My trigs came in at 197 and my FBG at 107. I was a sugaraholic. And always ate white breads, potatoes etc....I have cut out the sugar from my coffee(3TBSP in a 12 oz cup), gave up my sweet teas, and have not touched any sweets except 80% cocoa chocolate. Did you exercise? I take tap class once a week and Zumba for 30 minutes the two days. I am 5'3" and weigh 139(down from 143 since Jan 5)since cutting out a lot of sugar. But I still eat grain bread for lunch with roast chicken and cholesterol free mayo. I will eat whole grain pasta every once in a while as well. Dr. says I should weigh around 130. I do drink flavored sparkling water now. Almond milk, and diet teas. Sometimes I brew my own green tea and make it into iced tea. Are diet drinks bad? I hate plain water.

When you say you use cream in coffee.....I've tried that. The fat floats on the top and it tastes like I've put butter in my coffee. I've been using half and half. Should I go back to cream?

If you can, yes. There's about half the amount of lactose in cream as there is milk. And, when people first start a LCHF diet, they actually make butter coffee to start getting the amount of fat they need to send them into ketosis.

So you never ate ANY carbs at all, including whole grain bread? My trigs came in at 197 and my FBG at 107. I was a sugaraholic. And always ate white breads, potatoes etc....I have cut out the sugar from my coffee(3TBSP in a 12 oz cup), gave up my sweet teas, and have not touched any sweets except 80% cocoa chocolate. Did you exercise? I take tap class once a week and Zumba for 30 minutes the two days. I am 5'3" and weigh 139(down from 143 since Jan 5)since cutting out a lot of sugar. But I still eat grain bread for lunch with roast chicken and cholesterol free mayo. I will eat whole grain pasta every once in a while as well. Dr. says I should weigh around 130. I do drink flavored sparkling water now. Almond milk, and diet teas. Sometimes I brew my own green tea and make it into iced tea. Are diet drinks bad? I hate plain water.

I do not eat bread, grains, pasta, rice, potatoes nor anything made with them. Vegetables have carbs and I stay away from the high sugar veges like carrots, peas, corn and I focus on the brassicas, which I happen to love, anyway. I also eat no sugar.

I don't exercise. We ARE active. We hike, we walk, we swim all summer. But I don't exercise. I also don't think anything of parking my van out in the boonies to walk into the store. :-)

I eat full fat everything. No milks, but I use heavy cream and I love cheese. I also make yogurt with whole milk and a quart of heavy cream. I eat tons of butter, oil, and bacon fat. :D I make my own mayo with eggs and oil, too.

I've lost 30 pound since I started last July, and I've kept it off without even trying.

When you say you use cream in coffee.....I've tried that. The fat floats on the top and it tastes like I've put butter in my coffee. I've been using half and half. Should I go back to cream?

Really? I've never had that happen unless the cream (or half-half) was going bad and then it curdled. But, it takes a LONG, long time for heavy cream to go bad. Maybe your coffee his hotter than my tea. :laugh:

I would probably use half-half at this point in my LC journey, but I'm not on induction and I don't use cream or half-and-half in my tea very often either.

Anything in the cabbage family-- broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, collards, kale, arugula.... :D I love them, so...I know they're not everyone's favorite, but we love them.

Congrats on your success!!!

I LOVE brussel sprouts cut in half and sauted in butter. And red cabbage is NUMMY!

I'm so addicted to sugar in my tea....I've tried...that is the one place I can't give it up. I can throw away the chocolate, the cereals, the bread, - everything but not my sugar in my tea. If I give up everything else - does that still count?

If I give up everything else - does that still count?

Thanks!

If you drink it all day long, it won't be doable. I think if you could have one cup--but then you'd really have to watch what you ate.

I mean, some times I have an orange, now that I'm this far into it, but the carbs have to come from somewhere, you know? So if you have that tsp of sugar, you'd have to give up something else.

Other people do Atkins with sugar substitutes, but I just don't bother.

I love heavy cream in my coffee. I need to try harder to avoid putting sugar in my coffee - my downfall (well, that and Dh's little presents - he bought a large bag of conversation hearts that would just about kill me if I were to eat them. I think I'll use them to bribe ds to do some schoolwork.)

I've probably asked this before, but does anyone have a good website (or book) for LC menus/shopping lists, etc.? It's time for my semi-annual attempt.

Maybe I could do stevia - but I don't know enough about it. I tried to wean by doing honey instead, and adding more cream but it just wasn't the same.

It's always about a choice....

It's possible to gradually decrease the amount of sugar that tastes good in your tea/coffee. I've done it. The trick is to do it so gradually that you don't notice the change. I used to take 2 tsp. of sugar, but I started decreasing it by like a quarter-tsp per week. In a couple of months I was down to a quarter teaspoon in my tea. I genuinely prefer that now--the amount I used to take is actually disgusting to me now. :)

Well, I love any form of cabbage. So this is a good thing. But, you say you have NO sugar. We have sugar in practically everything we eat. I do have to drink OJ. A small amount and it is 50% less sugar because I need to take iron. Yogurt has sugar, fruits have sugar. So isn't it impossible to cut out ALL sugar.? I mean I cut down drastically on my sugar intake. No sugar in drinks(esp coffee) I use half and half. That's it. I do know I have lost weight. Even with eating whole grain bread for lunch, or even a small amount of whole wheat pasta. Cutting out all that junk food has made a big difference. And I am happy for you that your trigs came down, as that is my goal as well. But, to have NO carbs(whole wheat, brown rice, potatoes) forever? I am not sure I could do that. I have been told the key is moderation. And low carb doesn't mean no carb?

I think paleo says no legumes, including peanuts. The main reason I don't do full paleo is cost; it's just too expensive to eat meat at every meal.

I know a lot of people use stevia on a paleo diet. I like it in my coffee or tea, and I don't get a blood sugar high with it like I do with sugar. You have to like the taste of stevia, though; I don't mind it, but my DH hates it. He gave it a good, long try for several weeks in his iced tea, and he never could like it. He actually hates it, but it has a licoricey aftertaste, and he detests licorice.

A few more questions, please. The cream you all are referring to is the heavy cream, right? Are you putting it in chicken bone broth, or any bone broth?

Also, I love chicken broth, and can drink it like a beverage. I make ham bone broth to cook my 15 Bean Soup in, but have never thought about drinking it. I can drink it like a beverage, too? I haven't tried making a beef broth yet.

Yes, heavy cream is what I use. So far, just chicken bone broth but it will work with any bone broth. Many LCHF people make "Bullet Proof Coffee" with cream and coconut oil. I don't drink coffee so am subbing the broth.

Paleo forbids many foods and food groups. LCHF doesn't forbid anything but highly recommends totally eliminating sugar.

I'm not sure which LCHF plan you are following, but the Atkins diet does recommend fruit once you reach a certain weight loss and/or phase of the diet. Dr. Atkins recommends berries over high glycemic index fruits like bananas, etc. With Atkins, you need to find your own carb limit or tolerance (CLL). You can have grains/carbs once you are at your ideal weight but need to limit grains/day or per week. Atkins is a VERY personal program which is different depending on which Atkins phase you are following. That's the beauty of Atkins as well as the difficulty of keeping to it. Paleo is more strict with what you can and cannot eat.

Here are the basics: http://lowcarbdiets....atkinsintro.htm

I am not following a specific LCHF diet (using Bernstein as a guide). I don't eat any grains, flours, bread, fruit, beans, potatoes, pasta, sugars, many veggies, etc. 20-30 grams of carbs per day is my limit.

For all the LCHFers...

Do you think this is a do-able eating plan for someone who is mainly vegetarian (eats dairy & fish, but not other meats)?

Are beans/legumes a no-no on an LCHF plan?

I think it is totally doable vegetarian. You may have to get creative on where to get your fats from, but I don't see why not. I bet if you Google low carb + vegetarian you will find tons of information.

Beans and legumes aren't on the "normal" LCHF plan that I know of, but I wonder if you couldn't just make that part of YOUR plan.

Just a quick Google gave me this site: http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/4408/stocking-the-low-carb-vegetarian-kitchen

~coffee~

Well, I love any form of cabbage. So this is a good thing. But, you say you have NO sugar. We have sugar in practically everything we eat. I do have to drink OJ. A small amount and it is 50% less sugar because I need to take iron. Yogurt has sugar, fruits have sugar. So isn't it impossible to cut out ALL sugar.? I mean I cut down drastically on my sugar intake. No sugar in drinks(esp coffee) I use half and half. That's it. I do know I have lost weight. Even with eating whole grain bread for lunch, or even a small amount of whole wheat pasta. Cutting out all that junk food has made a big difference. And I am happy for you that your trigs came down, as that is my goal as well. But, to have NO carbs(whole wheat, brown rice, potatoes) forever? I am not sure I could do that. I have been told the key is moderation. And low carb doesn't mean no carb?

I do not eat anything with sweetners in it. I make my own yogurt, or buy unsweetned. Take vitamin C with your iron, OJ is very unhealthy for you. You need fiber to process the fructose or your liver can't handle it. I don't eat fruits. SOME people who aren't as sensitive to fruits can later add them in, I cannot. But they should be in whole form so that your body can process the fructose. Straight fructose is like poison to your liver.

If you cut out ALL sugar for 4 weeks, you would be astounded how your tastebuds change. Now a baked sweet potato to me tastes like I'm eating out of a sugar bowl with a spoon. Sauteed cabbage tastes sweet.

Moderation is not key for me, controlling my sugar is. Beans, rice, starches, breads, grains are all plant form sugar. And, honestly, I feel so fantastic and my tastebuds have changed so much that it doesn't matter to me that I don't eat them anymore. The trade off isn't worth it to me.

For all the LCHFers...

Do you think this is a do-able eating plan for someone who is mainly vegetarian (eats dairy & fish, but not other meats)?

Are beans/legumes a no-no on an LCHF plan?

No, beans are not a part of LCHF. I do know that there are LCHF vegetarians, but I've never really researched how they work it out. Maybe some bloggers could help you?

Oh, no! Why? I could live on beans alone, especially pinto and butter beans.

I googled this quickly and found that 1/2 cup pinto beans has about 18 grams carbs. In the induction stage of Atkins (lasts for 2 weeks or so), you should only have 20 grams of carbs per day!!! That is why they aren't typically eaten on a lchf diet.

I am not zero carb. I am not looking to lose weight either. I'm looking to build muscle and bone and also feel great. So, I still eat carbs in the form of any and all fruit I want, any and all veggies with the exception of white potatoes. I limit corn and rice. I eat quinoa (rarely since my ds is allergic), millet, and buckwheat on occasion.

I never eat gluten or oats due to having celiac disease.

I've cut out cane sugar. I use stevia and sugar alcohols. It took me a few months to get used to it. My kids still eat honey and pure maple syrup. I buy unsweetened yogurt, kefir, and such. Still trying to find an organic unsweetened ketchup.

This morning we had pancakes made with almond flour topped with butter and strawberry syrup that I made. I took frozen strawberries (from last year's picking) and simply warmed them in a pot until thawed and released their juice. I did not add any sweetener to the berries and it was plenty sweet. My kids ate it and didn't complain about it not being sweet. Strawberries are sweet enough.

Anyway, that was breakfast. So you can see I eat carbs......just mostly in fruit and veggie form. Lunch is spaghetti squash with melted butter and sugar free marinara sauce. If the kids haven't eaten it all......

So what do you drink? Water? Tea with no sugar? I have a hard time fining things to drink other then those two. Nether of which I like. I put half and half in my coffee. You say you use heavy cream? Doesn't that have sugar in it? I guess I am confused, because I think there is a difference between low carb, and NO carb. IOW, you have your healthy carbs, and then you have the junk carbs. Even in diabetic cookbooks they have recipes for low carbs that include whole grains. I am going to do some research on this. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

So what do you drink? Water? Tea with no sugar? I have a hard time fining things to drink other then those two. Nether of which I like. I put half and half in my coffee. You say you use heavy cream? Doesn't that have sugar in it? I guess I am confused, because I think there is a difference between low carb, and NO carb. IOW, you have your healthy carbs, and then you have the junk carbs. Even in diabetic cookbooks they have recipes for low carbs that include whole grains. I am going to do some research on this. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

IMO, cream is your best option. Half and half has more carbs than cream, milk has more carbs than half and half. Full fat will be your better choice with most foods.

Also, IMO, diabetic cookbooks are ridiculous. If you're diabetic (I was diagnosed last February) your body can't deal correctly with carbs. So, to keep your blood sugar under control, don't eat carbs. I think that the nutritionists and cookbook authors instruct you to eat carbs because they think that if someone goes from something like 300 grams a day to 200 by following their diet and recipes, it's an improvement. They don't think that most people are willing to give up carbs. My doctor even told me that she totally supports my diet, but she's never had anyone who would stick to it. Bottom line - if you're diabetic and want to stay off meds and keep your body parts - stay away from carbs. Diabetes is a progressive disease.

I drink primarily water. Occasionally I drink stevia sweetened pop. Sometimes I will make myself hot cocoa using cream, water, cocoa, and stevia.

And my cholesterol and triglycerides are nice and low.

I'm going to go eat a lard and butter sundae. :D

I hope this finally shuts my Dh up about how my cholesterol would hit the roof, I eat almost nothing but eggs, veggies, meat and fat. He just shakes his head at my big wad of butter on everything, and heavy cream in my coffee, about 5 eggs a day. Who has the last laugh now, Mr BOH?

Muuuahhahaaa come, join me on the dark side.

eta: she also said that I'm almost underweight, to not lose more weight or when I fully hit meno I would be a mess, as women store estrogen in fat. I don't know if I agree with her about that, I think I have another 10 to go.

#1: when you say nice and low, what do you count as low. My cholesterol number was 125 and my triglycerides were 40 one year ago.

And as for the fat and menopause... that can go either way. There are breast cancers that feed on estrogen. That is why some women are put into 'medical menopause' to try and stop the cancer growth. My family has a very high rate of breast cancer and I want to get as much fat off me before menopause as possible. Not to mention, it is really hard to get it off once menopause has happened.

IMO, cream is your best option. Half and half has more carbs than cream, milk has more carbs than half and half. Full fat will be your better choice with most foods.

Also, IMO, diabetic cookbooks are ridiculous. If you're diabetic (I was diagnosed last February) your body can't deal correctly with carbs. So, to keep your blood sugar under control, don't eat carbs. I think that the nutritionists and cookbook authors instruct you to eat carbs because they think that if someone goes from something like 300 grams a day to 200 by following their diet and recipes, it's an improvement. They don't think that most people are willing to give up carbs. My doctor even told me that she totally supports my diet, but she's never had anyone who would stick to it. Bottom line - if you're diabetic and want to stay off meds and keep your body parts - stay away from carbs. Diabetes is a progressive disease.

I drink primarily water. Occasionally I drink stevia sweetened pop. Sometimes I will make myself hot cocoa using cream, water, cocoa, and stevia.

:iagree:

The woman who wrote the Diabetes Miracle ran a large Diabetes nutrition center for 30 years, and got diabetes herself after following the guidelines. She tells you right up front that a American Diabetic Diet will not control your sugar well and that it's only a matter of time until you ARE on meds.

The only way to control is is to stay away from carbs, fully. (high carb veggies, too)

I drink water, seltzer, teas (all kinds) and coffee, all unsweetened.

#1: when you say nice and low, what do you count as low. My cholesterol number was 125 and my triglycerides were 40 one year ago.

And as for the fat and menopause... that can go either way. There are breast cancers that feed on estrogen. That is why some women are put into 'medical menopause' to try and stop the cancer growth. My family has a very high rate of breast cancer and I want to get as much fat off me before menopause as possible. Not to mention, it is really hard to get it off once menopause has happened.

My trigylcerides are 58, my hdl (the good) is 69, which is really nice and high Mayo says, and my ldl is 127. I'm sure I could cut out some bacon and lower that even more.

My last physical years ago I was about 40 pounds overweight, and my cholesterol was 202. Going LCHF was terrifying because it just goes against everything you've been programmed to believe about diet, and I did worry that my levels would skyrocket. But that's all just a bonus, now I don't have to worry about passing out and driving my kids around safely. And, so far, my pre-diabetes is halted.

I needed to get it under control before meno, too, because I knew once that hit, controlling it would be doubly hard.

I would like to make a general comment about LCHF -- it means different things to different people. In the last day I've seen listed several "no-no" items that are NOT off limits on a program like New Atkins. New Atkins often suggests for folks with a small to moderate amount of weight to lose to not even do the "Induction" program, and it gives you carb "offsets" if you will, for fiber grams. I liked that part a lot, because it made everything less draconian for me, and more foods available from the start.

However, all that being said, I can see how New Atkins can also drive people up the wall with all the ability to customize (and potentially fall away from the program altogether). :D

Have fun with it!

I would like to make a general comment about LCHF -- it means different things to different people. In the last day I've seen listed several "no-no" items that are NOT off limits on a program like New Atkins. New Atkins often suggests for folks with a small to moderate amount of weight to lose to not even do the "Induction" program, and it gives you carb "offsets" if you will, for fiber grams. I liked that part a lot, because it made everything less draconian for me, and more foods available from the start.

However, all that being said, I can see how New Atkins can also drive people up the wall with all the ability to customize (and potentially fall away from the program altogether). :D

Have fun with it!

Thank you, that is so true. It's also why I like Atkins, I customize to what I know works for ME. Then I say 'all carbs'. :D

Thank you Justamouse for this discussion. I have learned quite a bit. Going off carbs totally scares me to death. I know it works, as I have done a greatly reduced carb, higher fat "diet" before that I didn't stick with. I want to do it again, and make it a lifestyle, but every time I think to myself, "I'm going to do this!" I end up shoving as many carbs in my face as I can find. Was there anything that helped you to stay with it when you first started?

Being Southern, I grew up on two cups of sugar in a gallon of tea. :scared: I have finally weaned myself down to one cup in a gallon, and am trying to just not drink tea much anymore. I have a hard time drinking just water with food. Also, I am so picky! I am much better than I was growing up, but there are still thinks I just can't bring myself to eat. It has always been more of a mouth feel with me, than a taste thing. Like, I like the flavor of strawberries, but won't put them in my mouth because of the seeds.

One other thing that has been on my mind: I have heard that it is the meat (especially red meat), that causes the inflammation in the body (which is the main cause of heart disease), and that is one of the reasons that you should eat all or mostly vegetables. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you Justamouse for this discussion. I have learned quite a bit. Going off carbs totally scares me to death. I know it works, as I have done a greatly reduced carb, higher fat "diet" before that I didn't stick with. I want to do it again, and make it a lifestyle, but every time I think to myself, "I'm going to do this!" I end up shoving as many carbs in my face as I can find. Was there anything that helped you to stay with it when you first started?

Being Southern, I grew up on two cups of sugar in a gallon of tea. :scared: I have finally weaned myself down to one cup in a gallon, and am trying to just not drink tea much anymore. I have a hard time drinking just water with food. Also, I am so picky! I am much better than I was growing up, but there are still thinks I just can't bring myself to eat. It has always been more of a mouth feel with me, than a taste thing. Like, I like the flavor of strawberries, but won't put them in my mouth because of the seeds.

One other thing that has been on my mind: I have heard that it is the meat (especially red meat), that causes the inflammation in the body (which is the main cause of heart disease), and that is one of the reasons that you should eat all or mostly vegetables. Any thoughts on this?

Someone's gotta be the Guinea pig! :D

I didn't have a choice on staying with it, I had to. It was a last ditch effort before medications, and I hate medicine. You do it like you do labor, one minute at a time, and eventually, the carb addiction breaks and it gets easier.

If it makes it easier, sit down and make yourself a list of what you like that you can eat, and work off that. Sign up on the Atkinswebsite and look through the induction foods to help you.

Is red meat inflammatory...well, grass fed isn't, regular is mildly more than grass fed, but brown rice is much moreso if you are comparing the two items. Then, if you get into chuckroast, it's actually *antiinflammitory*.

I'm not sure I could ever do no carbs, but noticed changes this last year while eating lots of red meat to help with severe anemia, enough to make me think you are on to something. My HGA1C went down almost a point, HDL is up by 10, and I lost a few pounds, all while on restricted activity because my hemoglobin was so low.

I love The Diet Dr. You can find really excellent interviews with top Drs there, plus lots of information. The only other site I would tell you to stick with at first is Atkins. There's Mark's Daily Apple, too which is good, but there is still a lot of research going on and sometimes it can seem contradictory so while you're getting into it, I would advice you to just stick with a few sites and a plan.

Yes, heavy cream is what I use. So far, just chicken bone broth but it will work with any bone broth. Many LCHF people make "Bullet Proof Coffee" with cream and coconut oil. I don't drink coffee so am subbing the broth.

I was just going to suggest bullet proof coffee. I LOVE it! And the awesome thing is Kerry butter is naturally sweeter, so I don't need any sugar and usually I put about 2 tbsp and a tbsp of 2% milk.

However, If the cream curdles and floats, it's likely either because the coffee was crazy hot or the cream was not as fresh as one might prefer.

I make a hibachi soup that sounds like this broth drink, but it never occurred to me to put cream in it. Hmmmm. I just drink it plain and really like it. I use equal parts chicken and beef broth, toss in some celery, carrots, onion, ginger, fresh celantro, and garlic. Simmer for 45 minutes and then pour a cup leaving the veggies in the pot. Yummy.

I'm not trying to do a diet per say. I'm just making a note in my fitness pal app, not eating seconds, snacks, or sweets. That alone weeds out a lot of carbs without me having to stress about what I'm eating or feeling too denied or culture/budget shock. So far it's really working. I had done it a few years ago and lost a lot. Then I broke my ankle viciously and had a rough delivery of a baby and ate way more junk while being way less active and now I'm suffering the consequences. Could kick myself. Or kick dh.

When I am shopping, this is easy. I don't buy what I shouldn't have. Problem solved. Een when I have sweets, I have to get off my bum and make it from scratch or semi scratch, which cuts down a lot on the sweet content.

If I go down for the count, dh takes over and suddenly my normally nearly sugar free home looks like a bachelor pad gingerbread house. Because dh doesn't eat it, but it's so ĂƒÂ¼ber easy for feed the 10 little people and makes them happy. Because who doesn't like dad who feeds cake for breakfast? LOL

I'm not sure I could ever do no carbs, but noticed changes this last year while eating lots of red meat to help with severe anemia, enough to make me think you are on to something. My HGA1C went down almost a point, HDL is up by 10, and I lost a few pounds, all while on restricted activity because my hemoglobin was so low.

Melissa, I just wanted to encourage you. Before I was diagnosed, I would never ever have considered going carb free. Since my early 20s, I tried quite a few times to become vegetarian as I was convinced from all my reading and research that that was the healthiest way to eat. But, I always ended up adding poultry back into my diet. I was convinced that complex carbs were healthy, that lots of fruit and veggies were very healthy, etc. Now, I'm not so sure. I know that they are definitely not for me. We've been led down this path, since what, the 60s or 70s, to believe a specific way of eating is "healthiest" and have a hard time believing that anything else could be healthier. But, for some of us, if not most of us, going LCHF works. I did it cold turkey and I'm convinced that that is the best way to go. If you give up carbs, you only go through a few days of cravings and then they are gone. If you continue to eat carbs, the cravings continue. It's just a different mind-set, and also since we live in a culture of carbs, realizing that you don't have to have bread or rice or potatoes or pasta or....

Anyway, it's really not as bad as you'd think going carb-free.

What are your favorite resources and books on LCHF? I love the link to the nutrition site. That is a great resource!

eta: I am going to look into the Atkins site, too.

Some good informational resource books are:

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Volek and Phinney

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Taubes

Wheat Belly by Davis

Diabetes Solution by Bernstein

Cookbooks

Low Carbing Among Friends vol. 1

Low Carbing Among Friends vol. 2

Low Carbing Among Friends vol. 3

Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking by Reinhart & Wallace

Low-Carb Gourmet by Barnaby

Any books by Maria Emmerich

Websites/blogs

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com

http://yourlighterside.com/

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

http://ginnyslowcarbkitchen.blogspot.com/

http://247lowcarbdiner.blogspot.com/

http://healthylowcarbliving.com/category/blog/

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/

http://www.atkinsdietgeek.com/

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com/

http://lowcarbfamily.com/

http://www.gourmetgirlcooks.com/

http://lowcarboneday.com/

http://www.lowcarbcrock.com/

http://www.lowcarblayla.blogspot.com/

I took a look at Dr. Bernsteins site and like what I see. I see he has one book out called The Diabetes Solution. But he has another one out to called Low Carb dieting(something like that). Which one is the better book? I don't need a lot of technicalities, but maybe something brief,and then how to implement the plan, and get recipe ideas.

Melissa, I just wanted to encourage you. Before I was diagnosed, I would never ever have considered going carb free. Since my early 20s, I tried quite a few times to become vegetarian as I was convinced from all my reading and research that that was the healthiest way to eat. But, I always ended up adding poultry back into my diet. I was convinced that complex carbs were healthy, that lots of fruit and veggies were very healthy, etc. Now, I'm not so sure. I know that they are definitely not for me. We've been led down this path, since what, the 60s or 70s, to believe a specific way of eating is "healthiest" and have a hard time believing that anything else could be healthier. But, for some of us, if not most of us, going LCHF works. I did it cold turkey and I'm convinced that that is the best way to go. If you give up carbs, you only go through a few days of cravings and then they are gone. If you continue to eat carbs, the cravings continue. It's just a different mind-set, and also since we live in a culture of carbs, realizing that you don't have to have bread or rice or potatoes or pasta or.... Anyway, it's really not as bad as you'd think going carb-free.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Really, I can't agree enough.

We've been programmed, really programmed, to believe the low fat carb thing is good for you. I mean, think about it, you've been hearing that since you were a kid. Well, it's the lie that's been repeated oft enough.

I was just going to suggest bullet proof coffee. I LOVE it! And the awesome thing is Kerry butter is naturally sweeter, so I don't need any sugar and usually I put about 2 tbsp and a tbsp of 2% milk. However, If the cream curdles and floats, it's likely either because the coffee was crazy hot or the cream was not as fresh as one might prefer.

dh takes over and suddenly my normally nearly sugar free home looks like a bachelor pad gingerbread house. Because dh doesn't eat it, but it's so ĂƒÂ¼ber easy for feed the 10 little people and makes them happy. Because who doesn't like dad who feeds cake for breakfast? LOL

So what exactly is bullet proof coffee?

My dh does the same thing when he goes shopping. The house is then filled with chips, pretzels (gf but still pure carb), sugar sweentened yogurt, and so forth.

Drinking broth sounds so yummy. I just made a big pot of chicken broth yesterday....minus the celery as dh threw away the celery pieces I'd been saving. I think I'll try some today with cream.

I made dh's coffee this morning with cream. It turned out fine. I think it was our old coffee maker that was the issue because the coffee would be scalding hot. Now we use a Keurig (gasp! I know. Shocking to admit that on this forum!) and the coffe is hot but not burn your lips off hot. The cream did not curdle and it didn't have melted fat pools floating on top. He liked it. Then I made him do an hour Bob Harper cardio workout with me and now he hates me. :smilielol5:

So what exactly is bullet proof coffee?

Here is a link to what proper bullerproof coffee is supposed to be and it really does taste best this way, IMO.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee/

I'll be honest and say I can't always afford premium coffee or am too lazy to use the French press and to grind beans myself.

But some coffee from the drip pot, blended with a tbsp of unsalted kerrygold butter in my bullet is still mighty good too. So don't think if you can't do it exactly how he suggest that you shouldn't bother.

The thing I really like is there is no crash when I use the butter instead of milk and sugar.

I have been LCHF for 8 months. I've lost 54 lbs and have gone from size 16 to 6.

Except for an occasional cheat, which is usually once every 2 weeks or so, and not a cheat day or cheat meal, but a cheat item, I have not had grains, potatoes, legumes (except green beans), sugar or fruit. I drink unsweet tea--I liked it already. My beverage of choice before was regular cola. I haven't had any in 8 months.

Someone asked about fruit--the main difference between fruit & veggies is sugar. You can get everything you need from veggies and not eat any fruit. Technically, many of the veggies we eat are fruit, but they have such a lower sugar content we call them veggies--tomatoes, cucumber, all squashes, bell pepper, eggplant, peas. Some sites call corn a fruit, but it's also considered a grain. The same definition that makes all of the above veggies actually fruit means that green beans are fruit too, although they are considered to be in the legume family.

Someone also mentioned "no carb." Very rarely is a low carb diet no carb. That would be pretty much muscle meat and animal fats only, although there are some who argue that there are carboydrates in that too, or at least that our body makes carbs from it. There is one site I've been reading lately that is about zero carb, but their definition of it is more loose--anything from the animal kingdom is allowed. This means muscle meat, organ meat, seafood, animal fats, eggs, and dairy, which can add up in carbs. At this particular site they say those higher carb animal kingdom foods are allowed as long as they don't make you crave things you shouldn't have.

Anything from the plant kingdom has carboyhdrates in it (except for when you separate vegetable oils out). Some have a lot, some have less. I focus on muscle meat, animal fats, dairy (no milk, but heavy cream is OK), and very low carb (low sugar/low starch) veggies.

Yogurt was mentioned--have you seen the sugar counts on yogurt lately? Ack. I don't like yogurt, but saw some low carb yogurt at the store that I thought dh might like. I think it was 4 g. carb for a single serving container. The regular yogurts had something like high-30's to 40 g. sugar.

I'll also add that for anyone who has a hard time imagining themselves cutting carbs so much--it's ok to start out by slowly cutting back. That's what I did this time around (did it 9 years ago following the birth of dd9, but never connected the food I ate as the cause of weight--if was the baby, of course!--so went back to eating "normal" after I was done). By cutting back slowly, I lost 5 lbs by the end of 2 weeks, and by the end of the 3rd week I had lost 7 lbs total. If you do it more quickly, be sure to include enough salt in your diet, or you'll get what's called the low carb "flu." This affects people in different ways, but tiredness is the most common issue. Sometimes achyness (achiness? sp?).

What about South Beach Diet? Any thoughts on that?

South Beach is considered to be moderate carb. So is The Zone. I don't know any more about SB than that. My MIL tried The Zone for one week (um, I do think you need to try something for more than a week before you say it doesn't work), and she gained 4 lbs. I glanced at the book and it allows a lot higher carbs than I'm used to. You also had to control portion sizes pretty strictly, I believe, to be able to eat those carbs without overdoing it. That may have been her issue, I don't know. We didn't discuss it at the time.

She has seen my progress and I think maybe, maybe might be trying to make some changes in her diet. I overheard something she said that makes me think she might be trying. She has been a faithful very low fat eater for many years, and it doesn't really work for her--she adds sugar to stuff then wonders why she can't lose weight. She also had to have her gallbladder out--too low fat can cause gallbladder problems.

Here is a link to what proper bullerproof coffee is supposed to be and it really does taste best this way, IMO.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee/

Thanks for this link - I can't wait to try this! For breakfast, I've been eating two sausage links and coffee with heavy cream, but I haven't been able to ditch the sugar in my coffee just yet. Bulletproof coffee almost sounds like an altogether different beverage and possibly just what I am looking for. We shall see :)