Menu

Bloodwork after 7 months of low carb (LCHF)

justamouse

And my cholesterol and triglycerides are nice and low.

I'm going to go eat a lard and butter sundae. :D

I hope this finally shuts my Dh up about how my cholesterol would hit the roof, I eat almost nothing but eggs, veggies, meat and fat. He just shakes his head at my big wad of butter on everything, and heavy cream in my coffee, about 5 eggs a day. Who has the last laugh now, Mr BOH?

Muuuahhahaaa come, join me on the dark side.

eta: she also said that I'm almost underweight, to not lose more weight or when I fully hit meno I would be a mess, as women store estrogen in fat. I don't know if I agree with her about that, I think I have another 10 to go.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! My DH had spectacular results for lowering his triglycerides after going low carb this past year too, and my dad too when statins hardly even made a dent. DH had to specifically add carbs back in so he would stop losing weight. I'm almost tempted to go for it strictly for the weight loss, but I just love the carbs too much.

Erica in OR

I hope this finally shuts my Dh up about how my cholesterol would hit the roof, I eat almost nothing but eggs, veggies, meat and fat. He just shakes his head at my big wad of butter on everything, and heavy cream in my coffee, about 5 eggs a day. Who has the last laugh now, Mr BOH?

eta: she also said that I'm almost underweight, to not lose more weight or when I fully hit meno I would be a mess, as women store estrogen in fat. I don't know if I agree with her about that, I think I have another 10 to go.

Then I should have enough for a lifetime! Bring on Meno! :lol:

Congrats on lowering those numbers, btw!

And yet my dad (who has heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes) will not listen to me about LCHF.

What fats are you eating? I'm having a hard time with fats. I get a stomach ache. I've been told it may be due to a lack of fat digesting enzymes from my pancreas as a result of celiac damage.

Good for you! I have to go in for bloodwork next month, after I have been low carbing for 3 months. I can't wait to see the results!

I was absurdly excited to see the results. Tell us how you do!

And yet my dad (who has heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes) will not listen to me about LCHF.

What fats are you eating? I'm having a hard time with fats. I get a stomach ache. I've been told it may be due to a lack of fat digesting enzymes from my pancreas as a result of celiac damage.

My dad won't listen, either, he just keeps popping all of his pills. He's not very overweight, either, he's type 1.

I eat butter, Olive oil, coconut oil and bacon fat. I can't get CSA butter, I use Kerrygold and Organic Valley.

Sometimes canola, though I use that more for baking and since I don't eat anything of that sort...but I'd say every once in a while.

When I started this and I was using coconut oil, the stomach aches were god awful. You have to start slow because the yeast die off is bad.

Me too....I have to go get my bloodwork done....now I can't wait....

Tell us how you do! I get so happy for everyone.

Congratulations on your bloodwork!

So, tell me, what would a typical day's food look like for you? I'm so intrigued by the LCHF lifestyle.

When I get up I have about 2 cups of coffee with cream. I used to drink about a pot, but after going low carb, caffeine hits me like jet fuel so I can't really stomach more. then I have a few cups of green tea and goji berries because I crave it. I drink green tea all day, but the same leaves, so only that first cup has the caffeine. I just refill the mug with hot water.

When I have something that I can eat from dinner the night before I eat that for breakfast. Otherwise I eat a 3 or 4 egg omelet with either cheese, or leftover veggies (broccoli), bacon, and I make it in bacon or butter. A favorite is about 1/4 cup of warmed cream cheese and chopped bacon with scrambled eggs folded in.

For lunch I eat veggies, salad, tuna on romaine leaves, eggsalad on romaine leaves, maybe a tin of sardines. Stuff like that. I make my own sauerkraut , so a bit of that.

Dinner, I just make a regular dinner an pick out of it what I can eat. Chicken paprikash, coq au vin, and lots of veggies. No starches.

THe carb cravings when you first start are really intense. Horrible, even. About two weeks into it, you start to not get so blindsided by them, and now I don't even care if people eat cake in front of me. I DO eat dark chocolate when I really want something.

About 4 months into it I added sweet potatoes (because they're not really potatoes) with no adverse effects, so that's a bonus.

I don't limit my fats. At all. That's me, piling on the butter.

Congrats!! Great job!

My dh is just like yours. I made the diet switch a year ago next month and dh was totally skeptical. I've since had lab tests every 3 months with excellent results. Dh is still skeptical. But, I think his real reason for being skeptical is that he isn't willing to acknowledge that it works because it would mean he would have to give up carbs. :banghead: . Oh, well, more fat for me!! I do need to lose another 15 or 20 pounds, but my weight is slowly going down without trying to lose.

And, I'm really excited to have found a new breakfast treat. I don't like coffee, but I've found that I really like chicken broth with cream. I'm going to start adding coconut oil to it, too. It's even better if you use homemade bone broth. YUM! My daily meals are very similar to yours. I've also found a great portable meal - Inside Out Scotch Eggs - from ibreathekimhungry. And, if you want pizza, http://mariahealth.blogspot.com has the best low carb crust recipe. I made a sausage alfredo pizza for dinner tonight. :drool5:

Tell us how you do! I get so happy for everyone.

When I get up I have about 2 cups of coffee with cream. I used to drink about a pot, but after going low carb, caffeine hits me like jet fuel so I can't really stomach more. then I have a few cups of green tea and goji berries because I crave it. I drink green tea all day, but the same leaves, so only that first cup has the caffeine. I just refill the mug with hot water.

When I have something that I can eat from dinner the night before I eat that for breakfast. Otherwise I eat a 3 or 4 egg omelet with either cheese, or leftover veggies (broccoli), bacon, and I make it in bacon or butter. A favorite is about 1/4 cup of warmed cream cheese and chopped bacon with scrambled eggs folded in.

For lunch I eat veggies, salad, tuna on romaine leaves, eggsalad on romaine leaves, maybe a tin of sardines. Stuff like that. I make my own sauerkraut , so a bit of that.

Dinner, I just make a regular dinner an pick out of it what I can eat. Chicken paprikash, coq au vin, and lots of veggies. No starches.

THe carb cravings when you first start are really intense. Horrible, even. About two weeks into it, you start to not get so blindsided by them, and now I don't even care if people eat cake in front of me. I DO eat dark chocolate when I really want something.

About 4 months into it I added sweet potatoes (because they're not really potatoes) with no adverse effects, so that's a bonus.

I don't limit my fats. At all. That's me, piling on the butter.

Thanks. This is helpful, and so interesting. It seems pretty easy to do, when laid out like this.

And, I'm really excited to have found a new breakfast treat. I don't like coffee, but I've found that I really like chicken broth with cream. I'm going to start adding coconut oil to it, too. It's even better if you use homemade bone broth.

Bone broth with a bit of salt and a squeeze of lime is an excellent first thing to drink in the morning especially in the winter. YUM.

Bone broth with a bit of salt and a squeeze of lime is an excellent first thing to drink in the morning especially in the winter. YUM.

I have both, I'll have to try! And I have lemon --an old Italian woman I know told me she always put a squeeze of lemon in her chicken soup before serving, and it is delish. I bet the lime would be amazing.

Congrats!! Great job!

My dh is just like yours. I made the diet switch a year ago next month and dh was totally skeptical. I've since had lab tests every 3 months with excellent results. Dh is still skeptical. But, I think his real reason for being skeptical is that he isn't willing to acknowledge that it works because it would mean he would have to give up carbs. :banghead: . Oh, well, more fat for me!! I do need to lose another 15 or 20 pounds, but my weight is slowly going down without trying to lose.

And, I'm really excited to have found a new breakfast treat. I don't like coffee, but I've found that I really like chicken broth with cream. I'm going to start adding coconut oil to it, too. It's even better if you use homemade bone broth. YUM! My daily meals are very similar to yours. I've also found a great portable meal - Inside Out Scotch Eggs - from ibreathekimhungry. And, if you want pizza, http://mariahealth.blogspot.com has the best low carb crust recipe. I made a sausage alfredo pizza for dinner tonight. :drool5:

My 100% Italian Dh could not see a future with no carbs for him :laugh: ...but I was pushed into it. It was either this or meds, so I had noting to lose and everything to gain.

That broth idea is awesome, I can't wait to try. I try to have soup once a week with bone broth just because it's so healthy, I'll have to make some extra. And thanks for the link!

Congratulations! I have been drilling it into my dds' heads that fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does.

I used to eat a more low carb/high protein diet, and I want to get back to it. Thanks for sharing some of what you eat. Can you share more? I love the bone broth for breakfast idea. Any bones in particular? :bigear:

I didn't quite have the spectacular results when I got my first bloodwork after doing LC for about 6 months. I *was* eating a lot of bacon though :closedeyes: . It was my go-to snack food. All I did was cut way down on the bacon and eat a *little* less red meat (more chicken & fish) and I was fine the next time.

What books do you recommend?

Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution

Eat Fat, Lose Fat

Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It

Nourishing Traditions

Websites:

http://eatingacademy...eos-peter-likes

http://www.dietdoctor.com/

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/

http://www.mercola.com/

And to sum it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT_1dCbbR4I

Awesome! Congratulations!

Do you FEEL better/good?

I do! I mean, I still have days where I don't want to get out of bed, but that is because I didn't get enough sleep at this point. I know that if I can manage to get 7-8 hours then I wake up feeling like I can conquer the world. But I used to feel constantly wiped out no matter HOW much sleep I got. That was horrible because you feel like there is nothing you can do to get your energy back. It was very discouraging.

Another good thing, too that's come from it is that I can listen to my body easier, if that makes any sense. It's like the carb bloat/innflamation isn't masking everything.

Congratulations! I have been drilling it into my dds' heads that fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does.

I used to eat a more low carb/high protein diet, and I want to get back to it. Thanks for sharing some of what you eat. Can you share more? I love the bone broth for breakfast idea. Any bones in particular? :bigear:

I've only made bone broth (as opposed to just "broth") twice and both times I've used chicken bones. But, the nomnompaleo blog has info on making all kinds of bone broth. I don't do carrots or quite a few other veggies, so my broth is basically bones, water, vinegar, garlic and a sprinkle of onions. I do make sure it's well salted. I've also added fresh grated ginger to a few of the mugs of broth I've had and it was also quite good. I've only recently added beef back into my diet (after years of avoiding it) so am just not ready to deal with beef bones, yet.

Oh, I wanted to mention one more thing! I know this isn't for everyone, but I'm thrilled! Atkins has put out some really good frozen meals that are between 5 and 7 grams of carbs each. They are basically a protein (poultry, beef, sausage, etc.) with veggies (low carb veggies such as broccoli and cauliflower) and a sauce. I can't tell you how many times I've had a late shift at work and come home starving and totally pooped out and couldn't think of anything other than eggs and bacon that would be quick and easy to eat. I plan to have a few of these in the freezer for times like that.

My 100% Italian Dh could not see a future with no carbs for him :laugh: ...but I was pushed into it. It was either this or meds, so I had noting to lose and everything to gain.

That broth idea is awesome, I can't wait to try. I try to have soup once a week with bone broth just because it's so healthy, I'll have to make some extra. And thanks for the link!

I was also pushed into LCHF with the option of this or meds. I don't think I would have made the switch otherwise, to tell you the truth. I was perfectly happy eating lots of carbs.

I take the bone broth and cream with me to work every day as my breakfast. I'm loving it. I look forward to drinking it. I'm thinking that there must be something in it that my body is needing right now or else I'd be tired of it every day.

I don't know how you feel about blueberries, but Costco sells a 4lb bag of Wyman's wild blueberries for about $10. Mix with full fat yogurt for a wonderful dessert. High in both antioxidants and fat. Yummy.

A few more questions, please. The cream you all are referring to is the heavy cream, right? Are you putting it in chicken bone broth, or any bone broth?

Also, I love chicken broth, and can drink it like a beverage. I make ham bone broth to cook my 15 Bean Soup in, but have never thought about drinking it. I can drink it like a beverage, too? I haven't tried making a beef broth yet.

Also, doesn't paleo allow some fruit and sweeteners such as maple syrup and honey? I don't do any of those with LCHF. And, I think that they can do some high carb veggies, can't they?

Paleo forbids many foods and food groups. LCHF doesn't forbid anything but highly recommends totally eliminating sugar.

I'm not sure which LCHF plan you are following, but the Atkins diet does recommend fruit once you reach a certain weight loss and/or phase of the diet. Dr. Atkins recommends berries over high glycemic index fruits like bananas, etc. With Atkins, you need to find your own carb limit or tolerance (CLL). You can have grains/carbs once you are at your ideal weight but need to limit grains/day or per week. Atkins is a VERY personal program which is different depending on which Atkins phase you are following. That's the beauty of Atkins as well as the difficulty of keeping to it. Paleo is more strict with what you can and cannot eat.

Here are the basics: http://lowcarbdiets....atkinsintro.htm

I don't know how you feel about blueberries, but Costco sells a 4lb bag of Wyman's wild blueberries for about $10. Mix with full fat yogurt for a wonderful dessert. High in both antioxidants and fat. Yummy.

I have them, but berries skyrocket my bloodsugar, and keeping my sugar under control was the whole reason I started this. :( SO not fair. I have snuck a few in a green smoothy, but I have to keep it far and few between.

And you're right, they are a great deal, I keep them in the freezer at all times.

:cheers2:

Some years ago, I did Nutrisystem for about six months--low fat, high(er) fiber, lots o' carbs. When I had annual labwork done, my total cholesterol was over 300. I went back to Atkins.

We had to change health providers at that point, and two months later I had labwork done with the new doctor. My total cholesterol had come down 100 points in that two months. I don't remember the HDL and LDL levels, but the doctor was greatly impressed. When I told him what my previous labs were, and that all I had done was Atkins, his mouth fell open. :-)

Some time later I saw his P.A. and told her that I was doing low-carb; she just looked at me and asked if I could eat chicken instead of beef because, you know, beef causes our cholesterol to be high. :huh:

I don't see that doctor any longer.

Sadly, my thyroid is totally messed up, and I don't lose weight on Atkins. I have lost 35lb doing Medifast and have some more to lose until I'm at my goal weight. I've been seeing a endochrinologist; I'm doing labs again in March, and we'll see how the cholesterol is at that time.

Anyway, that's my low-carb/high-fat success story: keeps my cholesterol levels impressively low, no weight loss, but it's a good trade-off, lol.

:cheers2:

Some years ago, I did Nutrisystem for about six months--low fat, high(er) fiber, lots o' carbs. When I had annual labwork done, my total cholesterol was over 300. I went back to Atkins.

We had to change health providers at that point, and two months later I had labwork done with the new doctor. My total cholesterol had come down 100 points in that two months. I don't remember the HDL and LDL levels, but the doctor was greatly impressed. When I told him what my previous labs were, and that all I had done was Atkins, his mouth fell open. :-)

Some time later I saw his P.A. and told her that I was doing low-carb; she just looked at me and asked if I could eat chicken instead of beef because, you know, beef causes our cholesterol to be high. :huh:

I don't see that doctor any longer.

Sadly, my thyroid is totally messed up, and I don't lose weight on Atkins. I have lost 35lb doing Medifast and have some more to lose until I'm at my goal weight. I've been seeing a endochrinologist; I'm doing labs again in March, and we'll see how the cholesterol is at that time.

Anyway, that's my low-carb/high-fat success story: keeps my cholesterol levels impressively low, no weight loss, but it's a good trade-off, lol.

WOW, 300 is crazy high!

I was reading yesterday that certain vegetables can really wreck havoc on your thyroid, the brassicas seem to be at the top of the list. And to help get it functioning well again, to eat kelp. Apparently Maine Coast Seasonings are really helpful for adding kelp (with natural iodine). I hope you get it figured out soon. :(

WOW, 300 is crazy high!

I was reading yesterday that certain vegetables can really wreck havoc on your thyroid, the brassicas seem to be at the top of the list. And

I just knew brussel sprouts were evil!

(Oh I hope they are part of the genus!)

LCHF intigues me, but one question..Does anyone here do this after having the gallbladder removed?? Since then, I can not eat fat.. it gives me...ummm...intestinal problems.

I mean I can do a bit, if mixed with other foods, like some cream in coffee with breakfast, some natural PB on WW toast, etc. But a steak...NO WAY...I can't eat fried things, etc.

I lost tons of weight doing low fat, low cal (extreme) before kids, and I need to do this again to lose the baby weight (x4)...but I see the LC might be good for my blood sugar.

I don't eat bacon or eggs, meat is super expensive... I could grill chicken breast I guess for 1 meal. I can't eat most fish (allergic). So how do I stay full with limited fat..???

And what do you use for salad dressings... any low carb 1000 island recipes, lol, that is the only dressing I like.

:party: That's fantastic! I follow a Primal-style, which is more forgiving than straight Paleo. Primal allows some dairy (cheese, cream, etc) and wine - Mark Sisson believes in the 80/20 rule. It makes it livable for me, and I'm amazed at how my energy skyrockets and my brainfog goes away. Love HFLC!

I am so glad to hear this!!! Good for you!!! :hurray: :hurray:

I have been "flirting" with lchf for a long time. I read Mark Sisson's blog and love the idea of paleo (or maybe primal). I have read and read about lchf and believe the science behind it. I just started myself on the Adkins Induction phase, and so far, so good. I love hearing success stories like yours. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

That is fantastic! I am doing LCHF as well, this is day 11 for me. I'm hanging in there and the foods that you describe eating are very similar to how I eat. Love my eggs and cheese; TONS of butter on my veggies, and no need to ask "where's the beef" on my plate. I feel so much better eating this way, I kick myself for not ever sticking with it long term before. I have no idea what my numbers are, but I do have 85 lbs to lose so that is why I am doing it. Yours is not the first story I've heard about people's numbers dropping like a rock.

Congratulations to you and keep up the good work!

~coffee~

LCHF intigues me, but one question..Does anyone here do this after having the gallbladder removed?? Since then, I can not eat fat.. it gives me...ummm...intestinal problems.

I mean I can do a bit, if mixed with other foods, like some cream in coffee with breakfast, some natural PB on WW toast, etc. But a steak...NO WAY...I can't eat fried things, etc.

And what do you use for salad dressings... any low carb 1000 island recipes, lol, that is the only dressing I like.

I had my gallbladder removed almost 5 years ago. It takes awhile to build up to tolerate more fat in the diet. Slowly increase your fat intake over time.

Fried foods are not recommended.

I use olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper for salad dressing. Sometimes I use mayo, vinegar, salt & pepper for dressing too.

I always make my own, either a homemade buttermilk ranch, straight ranch, vinaigrette, blue cheese, there are so many options! :D

Have you ever tried homemade 1000 island? Amazing.

use a no sugar ketchup and a dill relish.