Menu

Talk to me about Apologia Biology.............

My oldest jumped on the opportunity to do Apologia Physical Science with our Coop this year. She's in 7th grade. It has definetly stretched her! Anyway, next year I'm trying to figure out what to do. She's not a science lover nor do I see she will go into a STEM field. But I don't know that I want to have her go back to do General Science in 8th grade.

Those that have used Apologia Biology, is it doable for a "normal/average" kid in 8th grade?

My other options are to have her go back to do General (I already have the materials because I planned on her doing General this year) before moving on to Biology in high school or possibly let her do a more nature study type science this year with an emphasis on the journaling/drawing. She loves art and may pursue that as a career.

Anyway, thoughts appreciated here ;)

Paula

I had one dd do Biology in 8th. It has worked well for her and allowed her to be studying Psychology her senior year instead of a "regular" science. She took chemistry in 9th, physics 10th, advanced biology/anatomy 11th. The one thing you have to watch is that her maths will line up for the next science. You can gain back a year of math if you have her take conceptual physics instead of a math heavy physics.

My oldest jumped on the opportunity to do Apologia Physical Science with our Coop this year. She's in 7th grade. It has definetly stretched her! Anyway, next year I'm trying to figure out what to do. She's not a science lover nor do I see she will go into a STEM field. But I don't know that I want to have her go back to do General Science in 8th grade.

Those that have used Apologia Biology, is it doable for a "normal/average" kid in 8th grade?

My other options are to have her go back to do General (I already have the materials because I planned on her doing General this year) before moving on to Biology in high school or possibly let her do a more nature study type science this year with an emphasis on the journaling/drawing. She loves art and may pursue that as a career.

Anyway, thoughts appreciated here ;)

Paula

If she's doing algebra in 8th along with the biology, she should do just fine in high school. On the other hand, enjoying a year of nature study or earth science with journaling and drawing might spark a passion. Another thought might be to combine the nature study & journaling with the biology and take 2 years to complete the course. Since she'll be an 8th grader and not a likely stem major, there's no hurry. :001_smile:

If she's not a science lover, then I would resist the urge to push her ahead. Back in the dark ages, I did Biology in 10th grade. :)

You may have other things that she's a bit behind on, and can catch up or excel in during 8th grade.

Or you could spread out the Biology from mid-8th grade into 9th grade, to reduce the pace.

What about throwing in a year of Earth Science or something? I wouldn't push on to Biology, not because Biology is too hard, but because Chemistry and Physics will be easier a year later. Not having Biology in high school can look odd on a transcript as could not having science after 10th grade. It is much easier to do a filler year now than later.

You might look at DIVE or BJU Earth Science options. She could also do anything else she is interested in such as psychology, ecology, forensics, etc.

Paula

You might want to look at this Natural Science Syllabus from Mother of Divine Grace School:

http://www.motherofd...lum/syllabus/36

This course would encompass your nature study and journaling/drawing. I believe that Nan in Mass has used this before, so she might be able to answer specific questions.

Brenda

I would hesitate to do Apologia General (we found it really boring). I like the recommendations you've gotten already - conceptual physics (may be a little stretch for her if she struggled with Apologia Physical Science - but I have had 2 sons do it in 8th but they are my really mathy guys); a year to do nature study is a great idea; we did Runkles World Physical Geography during 8th for 2 of my boys; you could do a unit on astronomy...

8th grade is really my favorite year. It's the year we got to do whatever we wanted before we got on the treadmill of high school courses. You can easily do some science block scheduling and cover several things in the year rather than just planning a single science subject. If I were in your shoes :) I would do block scheduling and do 9 weeks of 4 different sciences (astronomy, nutrition chemistry, nature study, botany, human anatomy/physiology; robotics, etc.). That would give her some ideas to explore for a career :) and she wouldn't get bored doing 36 weeks of a subject she might not be greatly interested in.

Wow! You all have given me such great food for thought. I'm embarassed to say I never thought of spreading Biology over 2 years- what a great idea! Also, I'd not see the advanced nature study (thanks, Brenda!)...I'd only really seen nature journaling for smaller kids, so this is great!

8th grade is really my favorite year. It's the year we got to do whatever we wanted before we got on the treadmill of high school courses --- Yes! My thoughts exactly. I want to make next year something special for dd :) I like your idea of doing block science in more of a unit study way. Not sure I'm the gal to be that creative, though :) LOL We'll see......

I'm so glad I don't have to decide right now, but this gives me some great, great guidelines. I think I will wait to see how she is doing towards the end of this year in maturity, workload, gaps in other subjects, etc. and then do my planning/deciding over the summer.

You guys are the best!

Paula

Chiming in late, but one of mine did General after Physical. :001_smile:

It is different material, so it isn't the same as doing a lower grade of math, etc.

My three kids and the kids who came to do science with us seemed to enjoy it.

Naturally, each did like some modules more than others, and it was different kids who liked different things.

The first module is nothing like the rest of the book. It has more history of scientists in it.

Both my kids did Apologia Biology in 8th grade (without having done General or Physical Science before--they did Rainbow Science in middle school). It was very doable, and it allowed them to go higher in science in high school (Apologia advanced chem and physics for one, AP chem and Anatomy/physiology for the other.) Even if your dd isn't STEM bound (and you never know--interests can change!) it might still give her a few more options or a little more flexibility for other sciences in high school. On the other hand, if you'd rather do just the bio, chem, physics sequence in the high school years, I'd definitely choose something more interesting than General for 8th grade--such as earth science, astronomy, or even conceptual physics (which could lay a helpful foundation for Apologia physics later.)

My 7th grader is also doing physical science this year, and next year will do biology in 8th next to her 9th grade brother. She is quite excited since there is dissection kits. DD13 is not science-y, she is smart but lazy. She is excited that doing bio in 8th will leave space in high school to do marine biology.

My teens get to help plan out their course work, and she has asked to do the elementary anatomy/physiology alongside the biology program. By doing both and reviewing a few other things she can actually write the grade 12 diploma exam, and have her grade 12 biology finished in 8th grade, that is another part that excites her. (generally in Alberta you do 1 semester of bio in each grade 10, 11 and 12 to complete the biology requirements for graduation, she could challenge the exams for all 3 and get credit in all 3 just from doing the 2 programs I mentioned without actually studying for 3 years)

Both of my older, liberal-arts minded kids took Apologia Biology in 8th. Both easily made A's. Ds 17 has taken only 3 more lab sciences and will put the biology on his high-school transcript. He's not having any trouble with colleges b/c of his test scores and course load. Ds 15 will take 3 or 4 more, not sure about him, yet. But my youngest that want to be a doctor took Conceptual Physics in 8th for a foundation. He will take biology, chemistry, high school physics and probably an AP Biology the last 4 years... all from a teacher other than me!

Apologia Biology isn't difficult. I would just say that for a STEM kid, 8th grade biology should be considered an intro and will need to be taken again on a high school level. For a literal-arts kid, I would prefer to leave more time in the high school years to let them focus on what they love. I think 8th grade science will only work on a high school transcript if the kid can show that they spent the extra time pursuing something else academically challenging, not just taking it easy.