Menu

Conceptual Chemistry vs. Apologia Chemistry

Has anyone seen both of these to compare them? I own Conceptual Chem, but I haven't seen Apologia. Just wondering if it would be a better choice for my student who is definitely NOT going into a STEM field and will be studying Alg. 2 at the same time. This student used BJU Physical World with the DIVE ICP course, so has had some exposure to introductory topics in chemistry and grasped the concepts well. Any thoughts about the two texts?

• 1 year later...

I am actually trying to decide between these very two programs this summer!

What I have learned (if it helps any) is that:

CC is more focused on mastering the CONCEPT of Chemistry instead of memorizing formulas and algorithms. 

AP is heavy with the math part of chemistry, but since we've used Apologia for years, I can say that they also do a fair job with presenting concepts as well.

CC could be a great course for a student who is not heading in a STEM direction for college.

That said, lately my oldest son has shown a decrease in his enthusiasm for science and so I thought that if the focus in chemistry for him is simply the concepts (with some math, obviously), he might be reawakened to a love for science.  If he chooses to go a STEM path in college, he can take advanced chem or physics later on.

Hope it helps.

Just my opinion (and I haven't seen Conceptual Chemistry), but considering your student's background of DIVE ICP, and the fact that he/she will be doing Alg 2 concurrently, I'd go for the more math-inclusive Apologia.  

If your student is doing Alg 2, the math in Apologia should not pose a problem, and Apologia does a good job explaining the math involved.  The concepts are also explained well, and it is a lab course.  Even though (and perhaps because!) your student is not headed for STEM in college, having a solid, standard chemistry course in high school is valuable both for the transcript (it looks better to colleges) and for the life knowledge. And it keeps more doors open if your dc later develops a love for science (which can happen.)

My main concern about Conceptual Chem is it might not be enough of a step up after ICP--but then, I haven't seen either so I can't say for sure.  But it's something you might look into.

The only caveat about Apologia Chem is the writing style is very conversational. This is intentional because it's meant to be a stand-alone, independent course, incorporating a chatty, informal classroom-like presentation within the text. Both my kids liked this style, but some people can't stand it.  How did your dc like the style of the BJU text?  I understand BJU is more concise and straightforward, like a typical textbook.  If your dc really clicked with the presentation in the BJU text, then Apologia might not be a good fit.  In any event, I'd suggest looking at Apologia in advance to check this out.

I hope this helps!  Good luck with your decision. :)