Menu

My dd finished her first week back in ps today...

My dd14 was accepted to a public college prep charter high school after being homeschooled for grades 3 - 8. I was 99% sure that she would do fine, but I am very relieved that the first week is over. She is doing great and I think we can safely say that I have not ruined her by homeschooling her. :D

For her English class, she had to write a story for adults that illustrates the importance of honesty. Her teacher told her she got chills when she read dd's story. All the things my dd fought me on (outlines, rough drafts), she is doing for her teacher with no complaints or problems.

Dd is considering joining the Latin club. :001_smile: She hates PE because she is not used to pushing herself physically.

The biggest issue we're having is that the students have to lug everything around with them all day. The school building is only 2 years old, but the fire code has changed since then. The width of the hallways no longer meets the code, so the lockers had to be removed. Dd only weighs 100 lbs and when she puts her backpack on she cannot even stand up straight. I think we are going to get her one that has straps around the hips so she can get some of that weight off her shoulders. I am more than a little concerned about her damaging her back.

I'm so glad the transition has worked well for her!

Might I suggest a backpack w/wheels? I don't know if this is "cool" or not these days, but I will tell you I weighed about 100lbs all through highschool, too, and I had to lug the books for all my classes all day long. My right shoulder (I had an over the shoulder bag) is noticeably higher from squinching (?) the muscles and leaning to bear the weight than my left shoulder, and my posture is permantly altered because of doing this for 4 years! Wheels. I strongly suggest something with wheels.

Might I suggest a backpack w/wheels?

We have a large backpack with wheels, but it's not large enough for all her books and notebooks! Some kids are actually taking a backpack plus a bag they carry. Dd tried that one day, but it was just too much.