Menu

Favorite Fidgets? (sensory / tactile toys)

If your children manipulate fidgets during school time, what ones have you found to be the best? Specific brands you like? Tangles, hairy tangles, stress balls, etc?

What does your child reach for again & again?

My oldest needs some sort of physical outlet during school hours....we have a wobble disc, but I need something to keep her hands busy during phonics lessons (which are proving to be *very* challenging for us...)

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

For my DD, it's sharpening pencils. I provide cheap pencils and hand sharpeners that catch the shavings because otherwise, she'll sharpen her good pencils to a nub in a single lesson. I've yet to find any fidget that seems to work as well as sharpening pencils for her.

I have found that sensory input of any kind is good for my DD, so these don't all keep her fingers busy, but they seem to provide the same calming effect.

Gum

Model Magic clay

A foot massager

Drinking from a straw

Necklaces with several beads to twirl

Silly putty

Also, take this with a grain of salt since I know nothing of Phonics Pathways, but make sure that your instruction is allowing her enough physical interaction with the concepts. Letter tiles are better for teaching these kids than discussions, and games that involve jumping from one vowel to the next will gain you much more learning progress than a worksheet.

Thanks for the suggestions. We do use a lot of silly putty in our house. And gum.... though I never thought about drinking from a straw, might try it. DD is a thumb-sucker/nail chewer, too.... and we've been having a heck-of-a-time breaking that habit, but I never really connected it to her overall fidgeting/busy-ness. Hmmm, now to scold less and replace those with other (more productive) things...

RE: sharpening pencils. My DD loves to do that too. I never thought about the kind with a shavings-catcher, duh! LOL, I just banned hand-held pencil sharpeners because I kept finding piles of shavings around the house...

Our best putty has been what we got from the OT because it's stiffer than silly putty and there's a lot of it so you can do more. And it doesn't dry out like clay or play-do.

Lately, mine are going crazy for the hot rice bags--rice sewn into a cotton sack and heated up in the microwave. Nice and warm for chilly laps. We need to make more, so each child has one, because they are fighting over them.

I really like the strip of velcro idea :thumbup1: , tks!

It occurred to me in the Sensory processing rant thread that ds is also sensory seeking (in addition to being sensory avoiding). He loves to bite his finger nails and fidget with his fingers. Fidget toys have been useless though, as he's seeking a sensation through his fingertips. I spoke to him about the velcro idea and he loves. Now to implement ...

I really like the strip of velcro idea :thumbup1: , tks!

It occurred to me in the Sensory processing rant thread that ds is also sensory seeking (in addition to being sensory avoiding). He loves to bite his finger nails and fidget with his fingers. Fidget toys have been useless though, as he's seeking a sensation through his fingertips. I spoke to him about the velcro idea and he loves. Now to implement ...

The velcro is good in a situation when child is in a group of his peers. The fidget is there, but not so obvious that the child stands out.